Rate this topic

First game I have made it to this year. My take on the Wolves is they played a tough team from SC. Good size and has some athletes. MC had trouble moving the ball all game. Defense was on the field majority of time and to hold them to 20 was shocking. Defense played hard, just way to many arm tackles. Offense was out matched with the D of theirs. Fumbles also hurt, had several. Overall tough game and hopefully offense can figure it out and Defense get healthy 

Top running back (Diggs) for MC was switched to Linebacker due to injuries. (Diggs had rushed for over 100 yards last week against Thomasville.) This team has potential, but needs a couple of guys back who are out right now. Also, 3 fumbles by the same sophomore running back set Pageland Central up each time deep in Timberwolves territory. It gets real tough the next two weeks, going on the road to Randleman, and then to Eastern Randolph. If MC doesn't get too banged up, playing good teams will help later on. Keep the faith.

40 minutes ago, John R Inman said:

Top running back (Diggs) for MC was switched to Linebacker due to injuries. (Diggs had rushed for over 100 yards last week against Thomasville.) This team has potential, but needs a couple of guys back who are out right now. Also, 3 fumbles by the same sophomore running back set Pageland Central up each time deep in Timberwolves territory. It gets real tough the next two weeks, going on the road to Randleman, and then to Eastern Randolph. If MC doesn't get too banged up, playing good teams will help later on. Keep the faith.

Why not play him both ways some then. 

• Like 1

I was told this morning that Diggs went out with an injury while at Linebacker early in the game last night vs. Pageland Central, so he was not available later in the contest. Also, that the other running back that ran well last week vs. Thomasville was told by his father to pull out of the game and off the field during last night's game, and that he pulled off his jersey and pads and left the game, because his family thought that he was not getting enough "touches".  If this is indeed true, we do not need that kind of attitude, and I know that Coach Brown and this coaching staff will not tolerate it. We need players who are TEAM oriented.  Come on guys. Hats off to the defense, which held their own last night against a really good team in the face of adversity.

And so it begins....well, it only took three games into the season before the inevitable happened. With all due respect to the "other" side of the county behavior like that hasn't and won't be tolerated. Call it what you want, but this is a sign of things to come for the next few years I believe. If anyone thinks this is the only time this is going to happen I have a hell of a piece of land I'd like to sell you on Landfill Road. Wait until baseball season! Hell, they cancelled an All Star appearance because a group of parents were demanding guaranteed positions and X amount of playing time for the kids! And this was 11-12 year old All Stars! I hate it for the player. He seems to be a good kid and a good athlete. But.... it has widely been known of the "issues" with that particular individual. Best of luck to the coaching staff. I said it early and often... if they can pull the players and parents together it would work. That's a bigger obstacle than the ones they face on the field and it's only just beginning. 

6 hours ago, John R Inman said:

Also, that the other running back that ran well last week vs. Thomasville was told by his father to pull out of the game and off the field during last night's game, and that he pulled off his jersey and pads and left the game, because his family thought that he was not getting enough "touches".  

Once you allow parents to dictate what happens on a varsity football team, in regards to playing time, then you lose total control.  I'm certain that Coach Brown will handle this, but I don't like the look it gives to other parents, and to the players who do things the right way. 

• Like 1

To be clear, I don’t mean the coaching staff or the new admin of the school as they are top notch.  But the people in that community and their disconnect with reality in terms of athletics.  It’s laughable. 

GoNtheDistance. You apparently know very little about the people of Montgomery County. Yes, we have some people with unrealistic expectations here, but overall, the people of these communities know that the Timberwolves are a work in progress. So please take your bashing remarks back to Chapel Hill or wherever, and just watch things develop for the better down here a little later on. Laughing at us just could prove you not to be so correct in your critical comments down the road.

38 minutes ago, John R Inman said:

GoNtheDistance. You apparently know very little about the people of Montgomery County. Yes, we have some people with unrealistic expectations here, but overall, the people of these communities know that the Timberwolves are a work in progress. So please take your bashing remarks back to Chapel Hill or wherever, and just watch things develop for the better down here a little later on. Laughing at us just could prove you not to be so correct in your critical comments down the road.

Distance can speak for himself, and I am sure he will, but I honestly think he is speaking to a few posters that in the past have come across, shall we say, a little overbearing when it came to one of the schools that now make up Montgomery Central.

Good luck to your team sir and safe travels to Ramseur in a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GoNtheDistance said:

MC is a $#!+ show.  Just call it what it is.  Not just the football team but the county, the pending combined school, etc.

Distance is just trying to troll.... and doing a poor job of it. Look at his profile and his posting history. The fact he's a unc-cheat fan should tell you all you need to know. The dirtiest program in NCAA history to walk free, no doubt due to half the investigators were unc-cheat grads working for the NCAA! He cruises many topics and often interjects just to be contrary. As far as "thekidd" goes. There are no unrealistic expectations. Maybe since ER no longer controls where the best football players in Randolph County go sour grapes must be really tasting bad these days. Once the "pipeline" was shut down ER has tumbled from contender to cannon fodder!!! WHOOOOOO!!!! Now get some of that!!!! Montgomery Central has arguably one of the top coaching staffs in the state and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Sit back and wait and see what is built. The reason there is so much yapping from folks is because they know the talent that has always been there and now combined it could produce a Top 10 team year in and year out. WITHOUT the help of outside schools, number manipulation or "sudden moves" by star athletes. Home grown talent that many on this board forget that High School Football used to be about that. Enjoy your Sunday afternoon lamenting on how a first year school that's played 3 games has your dandruff all worked up. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Distance is just trying to troll.... and doing a poor job of it. Look at his profile and his posting history. The fact he's a unc-cheat fan should tell you all you need to know. The dirtiest program in NCAA history to walk free, no doubt due to half the investigators were unc-cheat grads working for the NCAA! He cruises many topics and often interjects just to be contrary. As far as "thekidd" goes. There are no unrealistic expectations. Maybe since ER no longer controls where the best football players in Randolph County go sour grapes must be really tasting bad these days. Once the "pipeline" was shut down ER has tumbled from contender to cannon fodder!!! WHOOOOOO!!!! Now get some of that!!!! 

See???

And I sir was not the one saying my HS would win 7,8,9, 10 games and be in top ten this year. It's ok though since I also don't know where this dry pipeline is located either.

And not sure anyone has ever told me to "get some of that". Not since I got over the age of 12 anyway.

Like I said safe travels to Ramseur.

14 hours ago, thekidd12 said:

Distance can speak for himself, and I am sure he will, but I honestly think he is speaking to a few posters that in the past have come across, shall we say, a little overbearing when it came to one of the schools that now make up Montgomery Central.

14 hours ago, thekidd12 said:

The Timberwolves will not be going to Randleman and then to Eastern Randolph with blinders on, We know that we are the decided underdogs this year against both of those fine schools. Under Coach Brown, we will show up, and play hard in both games. The defense has already greatly improved, but our offense cannot win with several fumbles and critical penalties and missing our best running backs playing versus good teams.Our O Line needs to block better and protect the QB better. Much respect from here to the Randleman Tigers and to the Eastern Randolph Wildcats. Playing these type of teams will help MC prepare for conference play in the Rocky River 2A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These guys are perfect examples of why Montgomery County sports scene and the cluster around the athletic programs are what they are currently. Rather than take a step back and read what my post was truly about, you Run your mouth and deflect from the real problems in that sports community and it’s the overbearing, unrealistic parents, not the kids, coaches or school leaders.  Again, I’m not being literal and saying every person in/around MC is bad because I’m not.  Apologies if when I said county it was taken literally.  I meant it in the context of the county school admin.  I’d say the vast majority of folks are wonderful people.  But as is, there’s too many idiots trying to run the show down there from the stands.  Examples include some of the things mentioned in this post around parents pulling kids, etc. 

Continue to bash me and UNC for that matter.  You guys are still somewhat clueless.  MC has an awesome coaching staff and great admin for the new school.  However, top 10 in 3A is a LONG ways off, if ever.  And I’m just being honest based on the demographic you are pulling from.  Doesn’t mean you won’t gave a respectable program because you will, but won’t ever be a perennial contender.  Be realistic.  That’s been my rub with MC fans dating back to when the merged school was announced. If you start with unrealistic expectations, you’ll never appreciate what you have.  Some on here are now backpedaling and chalking it up to the “process.”  Carry on. 

Edited by Chris Hughes
Profanity
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, GoNtheDistance said:

These guys are perfect examples of why Montgomery County sports scene and the cluster around the athletic programs are what they are currently. Rather than take a step back and read what my post was truly about, you Run your mouth and deflect from the real problems in that sports community and it’s the overbearing, unrealistic parents, not the kids, coaches or school leaders.  Again, I’m not being literal and saying every person in/around MC is bad because I’m not.  Apologies if when I said county it was taken literally.  I meant it in the context of the county school admin.  I’d say the vast majority of folks are wonderful people.  But as is, there’s too many idiots trying to run the show down there from the stands.  Examples include some of the things mentioned in this post around parents pulling kids, etc. 

Continue to bash me and UNC for that matter.  You guys are still somewhat clueless.  MC has an awesome coaching staff and great admin for the new school.  However, top 10 in 3A is a LONG ways off, if ever.  And I’m just being honest based on the demographic you are pulling from.  Doesn’t mean you won’t gave a respectable program because you will, but won’t ever be a perennial contender.  Be realistic.  That’s been my rub with MC fans dating back to when the merged school was announced. If you start with unrealistic expectations, you’ll never appreciate what you have.  Some on here are now backpedaling and chalking it up to the “process.”  Carry on. 

I never said that it was anything but a "process" from the beginning. Also, though not a UNC fan, I have much respect for that institution, having many friends and family who are alumni and supporters there. Things will come together here for Montgomery Central. We are a stronger group of people than you give us credit for.  You certainly don't know that we will never be a perennial contender if that could happen.  Thankfully, that is not up to you to decide,  Good luck with whoever you support. Take a few "nice" pills, and have a good life.

• Thanks 1

Again, some of the newbies on this board and others assume I’m not being “nice” or talking junk simply because I may have a different opinion or point out some challenges that MC is facing.  Again, look at the perennial top 10 in your class and tell me how you get there.   It’s not terrible to say hey, that may be a stretch.  You aren’t pulling from the same athlete base that most of those are.  You have arguably one of the most decorated staffs in all of NC with Brown x2, but great coaches need a little more talent that the county currently has to offer to compete and win state titles.  Again, that’s not saying you won’t be a good program.  There’s a lot of

good, respectable programs that are top level programs. 

In Coach Brown's words: "I am not looking to be a "one year wonder". " I want to build a program that will be successful ." I fully believe that he will do just that. You do not and cannot know what future talent Montgomery County will produce, so carry on with your hypothetical delusions about demographics, etc.  The future could yet be brighter than you perceive that it could be.

I tend to take History and demographic

as key indicators.  A coach can only do so much with what he has.  I still think there’s a disconnect in the community between the reality of player skill level and perceived reality of some parents/supporters. 

8 minutes ago, GoNtheDistance said:

I still think there’s a disconnect in the community between the reality of player skill level and perceived reality of some parents/supporters. 

I agree with you to a point that some Montgomery folks have been a bit over the top about this team's season and the next few.  Hard to judge where they will be in five years and also how long Benjie stay up and what type of continuity he can establish in the coaching staff over the upcoming years.

With that said, I see reflections of your statement at all levels and every school I visit.

At the East at West regular season game a few years ago I had a fan tell me that West had some of the best players in the state.  Charlotte type players but the coaches had no idea about how to use them and did not understand big time football.  Chris Hughes was beside me.  The guy was talking about Nick Eddins who had coached under Ed Emory and Paul Hoggard at Richmond plus played at ECU.  In addition, he had pretty solid staff.  The guy was a complete dumb ass and West made it to the state finals and lost to a better football team.

Please don't throw the entire team and program under the bus due to some "supporters" that are either overboard, or not realistic. I consider Coach Eddins as a friend, and his accomplishments at West Montgomery were outstanding over a six year period. Yes, 3A is really tough and challenging. and I do not think that you get competitive there overnight. Part of the problem right now for Coach Brown is that East and West are still open on separate campuses, although we bring these kids together for games. I do believe that next year on, when they are on their own campus and field, you will begin to see a much better atmosphere. This season, our best hope is to improve enough to be competitive in the Rocky River 2A. This could happen IF we do not lose too many players due to injuries. (The one kid who walked away is apparently another story in itself).  I do not believe that you have to win "STATE" to have arrived. I have been to four State Championship games (one on 2A level and three 1AA with kids from Montgomery County and 3 different Coaches. Please show a little encouragement where you can, because better days lie ahead for the Timberwolves.

19 hours ago, btango said:

With that said, I see reflections of your statement at all levels and every school I visit.

John Inman, I made sure to include this caveat.

2 hours ago, btango said:

John Inman, I made sure to include this caveat.

I certainly agree with most of what your post has to say. Again, I do strongly feel that, while a State Championship is the ultimate goal, being able to get to that stage should have strong recognition. Actually, Coach Nick Eddins was probably closest to achieving a State Crown in 2011 when we could not quite hold off a Swain County comeback. That was Capel's  (App. State) Senior year, and Swain went on to win the title the following week. Thanks for your input.

I don’t have a dog in the fight but I always thought it would have been better if they would have waited until Montgomery Central was opened before they combined the two programs.

• Like 1

The biggest challenge that MoCo Central has is  bridging the gap with the two sides of the county. You want to talk about history? Look at what Coach James Garmon did with the talent just from the West side. And, what Coach D did at East was historic. Not to mention one of my best friends. He and Garmon were MoCo football when the classifications were real. That's when 16 teams made the playoffs in each division and West was 2A. Talent is there. It's all about getting the parents to buy in. We have seen one who couldn't handle it. There will be more. Once that is all weeded out then you will see a team. Both schools needed upgrades. The way it went down is questionable. No reason to debate it. It happened. Support the Wolves. 

• Like 1

At the East at West regular season game a few years ago I had a fan tell me that West had some of the best players in the state.  Charlotte type players but the coaches had no idea about how to use them and did not understand big time football.  Chris Hughes was beside me.  The guy was talking about Nick Eddins who had coached under Ed Emory and Paul Hoggard at Richmond plus played at ECU.  In addition, he had pretty solid staff.  The guy was a complete dumb ass and West made it to the state finals and lost to a better football team.

We (Eastern Guilford) played them in 2013 (my first year at EG) and they were very good. We were not very good that year. They gave us all we wanted the first half and we made a few adjustments at half time and pulled away in the second half. I knew that they were going to go a long way that year. That was the only game they lost that year until they lost in the state championship game against James Kenan. I always regarded Coach Eddins as a very good FB coach. The QB that year was the real deal. He could have started for us and made us much better. I think he went to Richmond.

12 hours ago, Glenn said:

We (Eastern Guilford) played them in 2013 (my first year at EG) and they were very good. We were not very good that year. They gave us all we wanted the first half and we made a few adjustments at half time and pulled away in the second half. I knew that they were going to go a long way that year. That was the only game they lost that year until they lost in the state championship game against James Kenan. I always regarded Coach Eddins as a very good FB coach. The QB that year was the real deal. He could have started for us and made us much better. I think he went to Richmond.

Thanks for your comments, Glenn. I remember that Eastern Guilford game, and the Quarterback in mention was Caleb Drake from Troy, who secured a scholarship from the Richmond Spiders. Talent is still here, if we can work through the "process". We need less injuries, and a cementing of Little River. I believe in Coach Benjie Brown. Go Timberwolves!

• Like 1

Mr. Inman you are spot on with your comments as always. Enjoy listening to your broadcasts when I am not in town to attend. Keep up the good work and let's sit back and watch how this season plays out. There is a ton of talent on the field. Getting them to mesh is why Coach Brown is there. He has a mountain to climb for sure. 

Thanks WM1977. It will be a most difficult task this week going up against a very good Randleman Tigers team up there. They are 3 and 0, and ranked in the top ten in 2A. We will not be favored by anyone, and will be a huge underdog. TOUGH, TOUGH SCHEDULE..

I know the feeling. When we got to EG in 2013, (Doug Robertson hired several of us and kept 3 coaches from EG who were outstanding coaches- Kennedy Tinsley -Current SEG HC, Kevin Jones Current Receivers coach at EG and Jay Stanley Current OSLB'er coach at EG). These kids had gone through a steady stream of head coaches. We had a total of 45-50 players. We went 7-5 , 7-5, 6-6. 15-1. 12-3, 1-3. Our 2013 Freshmen class was a great one but our JV team that year went 0-10. They were seniors on the 15-1 team who lost to Weddington in the 3AA State Championship game (coached by my friend Tim Carson).  The next year was probably our best team and had we gotten by New Hanover (3 point loss) we would have won the 3AA State Championship. I say that because NHHS won the championship game convincingly. No disrespect to AC Reynolds but that was how it went down. My point is MC will go through growing pains before they get it all headed in the right direction. One of their assistant coaches Danny Akins is a friend of mine (we coached together at Mt. Pleasant HS).