N-C  17

Hickory  0  3rd

Patton  3

McDowell  0   3rd

Bandys  15

S. Caldwell  8  3rd

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trooper1989 said:

Did not expect Watauga to give up 63. Reagan must be the real deal !

I have Reagan at 12th in the 4A rankings, I think that's pretty telling as to how good I expect the Raiders to be.  

• Like 1

Hickory plays Hunter Huss then Reagan in two weeks. It’s not looking good for Hickory as they are expected to go 0-5 to start the season. Reagan is maybe a little too much for a non conference team to give the kids confidence. Hickory’s really not a 3A school if you consider how most schools are calculating attendance. Their HCAM school needs to be eliminated as an ADM contributor or make all the other schools count their kids in the school boundaries who are in similar programs.

Edited by GDG
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GDG said:

Hickory plays Hunter Huss then Reagan in two weeks. It’s not looking good for Hickory as they are expected to go 0-5 to start the season. Reagan is maybe a little too much for a non conference team to give the kids confidence. Hickory’s really not a 3A school if you consider how most schools are calculating attendance. Their HCAM school needs to be eliminated as an ADM contributor or make all the other schools count their kids in the school boundaries who are in similar programs.

I don't see Hickory beating Huss, and about the only way I see them beating Reagan is if the bus breaks down on their way from Forsyth County, so an 0-5 start is very likely.  From there, Hickory needs to beat McDowell but the way things look today, that could be their only win of the season, because South Caldwell is improved, and for whatever reason, they've struggled with St. Stephens.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don't see Hickory beating Huss, and about the only way I see them beating Reagan is if the bus breaks down on their way from Forsyth County, so an 0-5 start is very likely.  From there, Hickory needs to beat McDowell but the way things look today, that could be their only win of the season, because South Caldwell is improved, and for whatever reason, they've struggled with St. Stephens.  

Well stated. 

2 minutes ago, CHEERDUCK said:

Well stated. 

And I hate that it’s that way too, because obviously Coach Stone means a lot to me personally, but at this point, it is what it is and you have to call a spade a spade.

Hickory’s troubles have very little to do with a lack of coaching or scheme, and more to do with a lack of bodies. 

I spent some time on their sidelines and in the locker room pregame before the Statesville game, the players love and respond well to Stone and his staff, and even with the 0-3 start, I could still see this team make a turnaround and shock one of the front runners, but it’s obvious that they still need a lot of work. 

7 minutes ago, HIBRITEN92 said:

The qb getting back  will help them greatly... Right now they are easy to defend as they are limited to just running..

Totally agree, his young sophomore quarterback is talented, and strong, but he’s a huge drop off from Jason Martin, who should be back soon, but the defense needs some work too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Totally agree, his young sophomore quarterback is talented, and strong, but he’s a huge drop off from Jason Martin, who should be back soon, but the defense needs some work too. 

I agree but i think one might really feed off the other... If they had the offense to stay on the field and put up points,,, the defense may try a bit harder to stop people.. You can tell they have talent in postions,,  that running back could be really good,,, the line play seems to big their biggest challenge to me... With their schedule however it doesnt look good for them,,,, stone can and will work his ass off,, but when you consistently go against teams like they have on schedule, its hard to get into winning form,, and that, just like loosing,, is contagious..

• Thanks 1

St. Stephens doesn’t look to be very competitive this year. They barely got by 2A Bunker Hill. 4A South Caldwell wouldn’t even be a 20 rank 2A team. This is not a good conference. There are three teams with talent and a bunch of teams with little. None of these teams have progressed in the playoffs other than Watauga.

These teams records would not be good at all if they were not playing their other county schools. Freedom is made to play East Burke, Patton, and Draughn. Put those three teams together they may still not beat Freedom. That’s 3 free wins a year. St. Stephens plays Fred T Foard, Bandys, Bunker Hill, and Maiden. All 2A schools. Should win all of those if you have 1300 students but only two are normally wins. Sport participation across the board is severely down in Burke and Catawba Counties. I’m not just talking football.

On a positive note Catawba County is the gold standard in wrestling. There have been 10 wrestling titles in two decades here. 

57 minutes ago, GDG said:

St. Stephens doesn’t look to be very competitive this year. They barely got by 2A Bunker Hill. 4A South Caldwell wouldn’t even be a 20 rank 2A team. This is not a good conference. There are three teams with talent and a bunch of teams with little. None of these teams have progressed in the playoffs other than Watauga.

These teams records would not be good at all if they were not playing their other county schools. Freedom is made to play East Burke, Patton, and Draughn. Put those three teams together they may still not beat Freedom. That’s 3 free wins a year. St. Stephens plays Fred T Foard, Bandys, Bunker Hill, and Maiden. All 2A schools. Should win all of those if you have 1300 students but only two are normally wins. Sport participation across the board is severely down in Burke and Catawba Counties. I’m not just talking football.

On a positive note Catawba County is the gold standard in wrestling. There have been 10 wrestling titles in two decades here. 

This, 1,000,000 times THIS

The Catawba County School system doesn't give a rats ass about athletics. They care about their " percentages" of school rankings. This attitude and philosophy has trickled down into the school administration level and every athletic team (save wrestling) is suffering because of it. It is an absolute joke. My kids need a quality education and a well rounded education which means participation in sports and I expect that the administration would be supportive of hiring quality coaches and providing an atmosphere that also supports that but they don't because they just don't care.

Within the past five years teams from the Unifour have played for or won state titles in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and wrestling (that’s just off the top of my head).  Probably dozens of kids who have won individual state championships in other sports as well, so there’s plenty of athletic talent.  But in football only Hibriten has made any serious noise.  I’m at a loss to explain it, because I think the support is still there, but we all mostly struggle come late November.

3 hours ago, FHS1985 returns said:

Within the past five years teams from the Unifour have played for or won state titles in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and wrestling (that’s just off the top of my head).  Probably dozens of kids who have won individual state championships in other sports as well, so there’s plenty of athletic talent.  But in football only Hibriten has made any serious noise.  I’m at a loss to explain it, because I think the support is still there, but we all mostly struggle come late November.

You missed 3 championships by Newton in golf but I consider that a game not a sport. Also Newton had a lady volleyball championship as well. Volleyball is no good here again. Oh yeah Newton had a couple tennis titles in the last ten years. I still contend within the 3 Catawba County school systems participation is severely down with the exception of men soccer. Two local teams didn’t even have girls JV basketball teams.

4 hours ago, SaintFan said:

This, 1,000,000 times THIS

The Catawba County School system doesn't give a rats ass about athletics. They care about their " percentages" of school rankings. This attitude and philosophy has trickled down into the school administration level and every athletic team (save wrestling) is suffering because of it. It is an absolute joke. My kids need a quality education and a well rounded education which means participation in sports and I expect that the administration would be supportive of hiring quality coaches and providing an atmosphere that also supports that but they don't because they just don't care.

School rankings have fallen as well. Newton went from 14th best school in the state to #268 on one superintendent and school board change. I’m sure the charters not reporting and other schools propped up that #14 number. Hickory is ranked #400. The others are in the mid 200s. Discovery School came in at #42. Well of course they did, duh. You take 225 of the counties brightest kids out of normal public school and watch the numbers plummet while a special school whose kids interview for a slot rise to the top. These rankings are not indicative of the truth. Nobody explains the truth. Add 69 N-C kids back into the school you see a different picture. Add the kids from Maiden back to their school and watch it change. Same for Fred T Foard and Saint. 

There are at least 6 special and private high schools in this county. One I didn’t even know existed until last week. Hickory has so many options for private schools. The upper middle class has deserted Hickory. Many of those kids were very good athletes who could have played football and basketball. Now they play soccer or nothing. Lastly, there is no way Catawba County needs 3 school systems.

14 hours ago, GDG said:

You missed 3 championships by Newton in golf but I consider that a game not a sport. Also Newton had a lady volleyball championship as well. Volleyball is no good here again. Oh yeah Newton had a couple tennis titles in the last ten years. I still contend within the 3 Catawba County school systems participation is severely down with the exception of men soccer. Two local teams didn’t even have girls JV basketball teams.

School rankings have fallen as well. Newton went from 14th best school in the state to #268 on one superintendent and school board change. I’m sure the charters not reporting and other schools propped up that #14 number. Hickory is ranked #400. The others are in the mid 200s. Discovery School came in at #42. Well of course they did, duh. You take 225 of the counties brightest kids out of normal public school and watch the numbers plummet while a special school whose kids interview for a slot rise to the top. These rankings are not indicative of the truth. Nobody explains the truth. Add 69 N-C kids back into the school you see a different picture. Add the kids from Maiden back to their school and watch it change. Same for Fred T Foard and Saint. 

There are at least 6 special and private high schools in this county. One I didn’t even know existed until last week. Hickory has so many options for private schools. The upper middle class has deserted Hickory. Many of those kids were very good athletes who could have played football and basketball. Now they play soccer or nothing. Lastly, there is no way Catawba County needs 3 school systems.

You are right, but I still maintain that the majority of the issue falls at the administrative level and the "pretty boy" superintendent not giving a damn about athletics. 

2 hours ago, SaintFan said:

You are right, but I still maintain that the majority of the issue falls at the administrative level and the "pretty boy" superintendent not giving a damn about athletics. 

True. Figure head with big salary. The county athletic director shares that blame. I’ve had contact with him and he is not responsive. 

1 hour ago, GDG said:

True. Figure head with big salary. The county athletic director shares that blame. I’ve had contact with him and he is not responsive. 

yeah, I've also had dealings with him over use of school gyms.....they live in a bubble.