HoundBooster84

WBTV Football Friday Night cancelled?

Rate this topic

I knew Delano Little retired at the end of 2018, but I didn't realize that his retirement also meant the Football Friday Night program would also be retired.  Nothing else in the area compared when it came to keeping up with local results (and they definitely stretched the boundaries on what was local).  I've found myself having to get a new routine for Saturday mornings when I drank coffee and watched this on my DVR.  I'm guessing the costs of sending 20 cameras around to various games was the undoing.

I have to agree with you HoundsBooster84 about WBTV having the best coverage. Couple years ago the show lasted 1 hour then last year it went to 30 mins. This was my go to show when it came to Friday night football. 

Football Friday Night hasn't been canceled, in fact, I am part of the show now (although I'll miss a few episodes to include this week because of broadcasting other games).  The program starts at 11:20 and runs through 11:35 on TV, but the extended coverage still goes for about an hour on their web/streaming platform, and you'll be able to see me breakdown more games and talk football.  

To view the show, even outside of the Charlotte area, go to wbtv.com/live. 

IMG_5177.JPG

• Like 3

Wasn’t it a half hour before?

edit for half hour

Edited by GDG

I looked for it the 1st week and couldn't find it...all I could find was football Friday extra on channel 9

17 minutes ago, moonpie said:

😀 is that a little snow on the roof Chris? or is it just the studio lights? 

I'm getting old dude!  This is my 22nd year working in HSFB! 

19 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

aren’t we all brother? i remember when...

....and you have done very well btw. thanks for being a friend.

3 minutes ago, moonpie said:

aren’t we all brother? i remember when...

....and you have done very well btw. thanks for being a friend.

Yeah, I remember when too, back when you were a young blonde and I was a real youngster, those Mooresville vs. South Rowan battles were some good ones back in the day! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

Wait until you get my age, then you will know old!

• Haha 1

@Chris Hughes I just happened into the show this Friday. Here are a few things to take back to Wimberly for management. 

1. The show does not show up on the guide to be recorded it only shows the evening news on the guide

2. The show needs to be at least 30 minutes just not enough time to peak interest..they shouldn’t treat HS Football as an afterthought it’s growing leaps and bounds in Charlotte Metro.

3. They need to explain more in depth your contribution and the platform you have that supports 

4. You should be live streaming the show on your platform with a post show live chat

Congrats!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

@Chris Hughes I just happened into the show this Friday. Here are a few things to take back to Wimberly for management. 

1. The show does not show up on the guide to be recorded it only shows the evening news on the guide

2. The show needs to be at least 30 minutes just not enough time to peak interest..they shouldn’t treat HS Football as an afterthought it’s growing leaps and bounds in Charlotte Metro.

3. They need to explain more in depth your contribution and the platform you have that supports 

4. You should be live streaming the show on your platform with a post show live chat

Congrats!

Very good observations, I’ll pass them on to Nate. 

The show, just as NBC 6, is limited in time due to the network show that starts at 11:35.  They do not allow the local station to preempt the national show so the show, like the news, has to end at 11:35.  

Does WCNC 6 still have their show??

1 hour ago, btango said:

The show, just as NBC 6, is limited in time due to the network show that starts at 11:35.  They do not allow the local station to preempt the national show so the show, like the news, has to end at 11:35.  

Does WCNC 6 still have their show??

Yes WCNC , WSOCTV and Sports night (Spectrum)  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Very good observations, I’ll pass them on to Nate. 

Just to tag on to that whatever they are doing on WSOC 9 is showing up on the guide there (and its definitely the inferior show in my opinion).  It's of the ~20 minute variety so obviously 30 minutes isn't required to get the guide to register.

Hell when Delano left he basically topk it with him. Always enjoyed tuning in on Friday nites to see some of the action from around NC.  It's turned into a joke being only 15 mins and in that 15 mins it's all Charlotte area teams. FFN has been a tradition for over 20 years, and its a shame the program has turned out to be what it is now!

I’m afraid it’s trending with what is in the stands. Football is still popular at the collegiate and pro level but has dwindled for more than a decade at the high school level. If viewers numbers decrease, the time allotted shall as well. 

Remember it’s based in the Charlotte Metro area where 2500 plus student schools cannot play each other and put 1500-2000 people in the stands. In Charlotte Metro people do not come home and watch happenings at a local high school. They are out on the town with many options to be entertained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDG said:

I’m afraid it’s trending with what is in the stands. Football is still popular at the collegiate and pro level but has dwindled for more than a decade at the high school level. If viewers numbers decrease, the time allotted shall as well. 

Remember it’s based in the Charlotte Metro area where 2500 plus student schools cannot play each other and put 1500-2000 people in the stands. In Charlotte Metro people do not come home and watch happenings at a local high school. They are out on the town with many options to be entertained.

Bingo!  You just won the prize.  This is 110% the issue, people don't care that much about high school football.  You can see it with the participation in this forum and other HSFB websites, it's a dwindling sport losing fans (and players) by the day. 

• Like 2

All I know about what goes on in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas about the football teams is what I read on these blogs. its a shame that there is not a market for the best weekly matchups in these heavily populated areas showcasing our best athletes and the traditions of the various schools .I for one will watch any Highscbool football game thats on tv, but I'm from a rural area where there is just not much intertainment other that sports. but I do think if someone could televise a state wide game of the week and have the resources to advertise and promote the broadcast that I belive there is enough fans  to support it but it's like anything else it'd got to be managed the right way .my thinking my be wrong on all this , but football is just like any other business it's got to be advertised and promoted in a way that gets people's attention..

Clover S.C. at South Point tomorrow night is being billed as the Patriotism Bowl. Including military vehicles, a flyover, ROTC's from both schools as well as parachuting. 

The price of admission goes up to $8.00 per person. I don't know where the extra income will go.

I know this type of event will in noway solve the problem of low turnout but I do expect a larger crowd than normal. This will be SP's first home game of the season.