Sign in to follow this  
Wrigley

NC/SC

Rate this topic

For all the talk of how much better SC football is after watching the DF- MC team on tape I came to this conclusion.  

Dynamite team with a HOF head coach and some great talent. However from simply a physical standpoint I dont think that team would hold up against a serious Meck County schedule. 

Watched a couple of HS games today on TV and stream....We play a very physical brand of football up here.

• Like 2

Wrigley... people just don’t understand how physical some Charlotte teams are on offense and defense until you line up against us. I still say the last 3 yrs... Vance vs MC is one of the most physical games that I have seen yr in and yr out. It’s dangerous out there. Lol. 

totally agree. traditionally, sc has had better teams but i think that has changed drastically recently. mallard creek was definitely the better team. they were playing without their starting rb, which meant simpson had to play rb and not lb, they had no scrimmages prior to this(dutch fork had), it was on the road, MC had a costly to and lots of dumb penalties and they still were about to take the lead. i think if they played 5-6 weeks into the season and mc wins handily. dutch fork was clearly more well coached and that qb and wr were excellent. the one thing mc appeared to be missing was a big time wr but they are huge and a top 25 national team, imo. As the game wore on, dutch fork simply could not handle them physically. Mallard creek plays some awesome teams in Vance, hough, butler and gaffney. the talent put out yearly in NC is much higher than in SC so i dont get this whole idea of SC having better football. I think Vance or Myers Park could beat Dutch Fork and that is not a slight at Fork, as they are a great team but a statement on how good football is in Meck county. Also, ESPN recruiting rankings are the worst. They have Simpson as the 105th ranked player in the country. 247sports has him as a 5 star. After watching the game last night, does anybody think there are 104 players in the country better than him?

The game was great, but MC was bigger and just better overall, the DF QB and WR are the real deal , but if that's the best of the best in 5a in South Carolina, then Mallard Creek is the best team in South Carolina period  that doesn't live in South Carolina, hands down.

I agree about Dutch Fork having troulbe if they played the MC's, Vance's, Hough's of the world week in week out. Are we sure they would beat Myers Park? look at the offensive talent they have. that would be a lot for Dutch Fork to handle. Vance's defensive talent and size would give them troulbe like MC did.

32 minutes ago, ZBVANCE said:

Wrigley... people just don’t understand how physical some Charlotte teams are on offense and defense until you line up against us. I still say the last 3 yrs... Vance vs MC is one of the most physical games that I have seen yr in and yr out. It’s dangerous out there. Lol. 

ZB- there just arent any 175lb LBs playing in the top tier Meck county teams. Now...dont get me wrong, DF is very good.  I think Olenchuk may be the best throwing QB The Creek has ever played against. 

I get to SC one or twice a year and have seen Byrnes, Gaffney, DF, Ridgeview, RH NW and several others. Outside of Dillon I think the physical play as switched to NC. 

Even schools like North Meck and West Charlotte can bang now.

This years Vance- Creek game will not be for the squeamish.  Grown man football. 

• Like 2

As I have written on some other posts, I feel confident I watched the best team in NC play last night.  I am not sure the opponent is a SC state champion.  The front seven reminded me of 2011 Porter Ridge.  Average size or but better DL with very small LBers.

NC High School football talent is strong!  The state has made strides with the new spring practice options.  In my opinion SC hampered themselves when they lost the eight quarter rule five years ago.  I still think top to bottom SC is still a bit above.  Let’s not fool ourselves, Meck County talent wise is way above the rest of the state and 2019 MC is as physically as impressive as any team I have seen.  

MC needs to take care of business one week at a time and cement this season as special.  State title or bust.  Title game will be the west regional final this year like the old days.

1 hour ago, ninerfan55 said:

Mallard Creek plays Gaffney this season on the road. Any idea how good Gaffney is? any big time D1 kids on their team?

I am told Gaffney is good. They have several ranked recruits including Jemari Littlejohn at OLB. My only time seeing them play was 2017 against Harding. They did not look great that night.

58 minutes ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

At least NC football is wayyy better than Tennessee football.

I’m sorry Mountie you have no clue. Nobody can say that when none of the top teams from each state never play each other. There is no proof other than people’s opinions.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Appvol said:

I’m sorry Mountie you have no clue. Nobody can say that when none of the top teams from each state never play each other. There is no proof other than people’s opinions.

I know you have a connection with tn football, but I've watched quite a bit over there too. From what I've seen I'm pretty confident the best from nc could routinely beat the best from tn. The Alcoa/Maryville is some of the best football around tho. It's seems like where our best is large metro based, theirs comes out of smaller cities/towns.

Think you meant Whitehaven. Paul there are some really good private schools and they play out of state a lot. They win some and they lose some. I do think there is more overall good teams in NC because of the population difference. My dream games would be Alcoa and Tarboro or Shelby.Greenback Murphy game. Knox Catholic Charlotte Catholic game. Mallard Creek Maryville game but I think MC would beat them. Maryville not like they were after losing the coach to Furman to be the OC. Greenville want be as good. Lost a lot of talent actually lost Thursday night.1st regular season lost since 2015.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

I know you have a connection with tn football, but I've watched quite a bit over there too. From what I've seen I'm pretty confident the best from nc could routinely beat the best from tn. The Alcoa/Maryville is some of the best football around tho. It's seems like where our best is large metro based, theirs comes out of smaller cities/towns.

Dont know about that Mountie. The Nashville area is getting a lot of people moving to that area. Almost all the schools good at football in that area are Private Schools. Like I said I think there is overall more teams in NC that are good. The depth in NC is better. I would bet the same can be said about SC. I would bet there is more overall good teams in NC than SC. One thing I like about NC come playoff time there are several teams that could win a state championship in each bracket.

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Dont know about that Mountie. The Nashville area is getting a lot of people moving to that area. Almost all the schools good at football in that area are Private Schools. Like I said I think there is overall more teams in NC that are good. The depth in NC is better. I would bet the same can be said about SC. I would bet there is more overall good teams in NC than SC. One thing I like about NC come playoff time there are several teams that could win a state championship in each bracket.

Saw Brentwood Academy 2 years ago. Top level program. Would give anyone in NC or SC a game

39 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Saw Brentwood Academy 2 years ago. Top level program. Would give anyone in NC or SC a game

Brentwood Academy plays Knox Catholic on October 3rd on ESPN2.Knox Catholic is loaded with D1 players. Should be a good game.

5 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

When NC teams play and beat the Maryvilles, Alcoas,Greenevilles and Whitehalls, then we can say that. There is some serious ball played in Tennessee.

The only games that Tennessee teams play against NC are against the western NC teams.  Unfortunately the elite teams are not really from that area unless it is 1A.

I have Alcoa and Maryville on my bucket list.  Told Chris we need to set up a tour at each school to see the facilities (and trophy cases) plus catch the pregame festivities before watching them square off.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Appvol said:

Hammond School,SC is being dominated by Pennsylvania school right now on ESPN2.

Hammond's student section chanting overrated at Fleming down 28-0...SMH

Those Pennsylvania boys sure know how to tackle. That’s where wrestling comes in. Looks like they are shooting a double leg and exploding through the guy with the ball.

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Hammond School,SC is being dominated by Pennsylvania school right now on ESPN2.

Hammond's student section chanting overrated at Fleming down 28-0...SMH

let's say they dropped this dutch fork team in north carolina 4a/4aa this season. where do you guys think they would finish overall? comparing them to top teams in n.c. like MC, vance, butler, hough, richmond, west forsyth, myers park. i really think they would finish below second, maybe not in the top five. that is not a knock on them but a testament to how strong teams in meck county/N.C. are. look for example at Myers Park. they have a 4 star qb going to alabama, 4 star WR going to nc state, 4 star WR going to texas a & m, 4 star safety going to UNC. i'm sure thye have other good d1 players but those are the kids i can think of off the top of my head. even butler has a big, physical, talented offensive line which i think would give them trouble.

54 minutes ago, ninerfan55 said:

let's say they dropped this dutch fork team in north carolina 4a/4aa this season. where do you guys think they would finish overall? comparing them to top teams in n.c. like MC, vance, butler, hough, richmond, west forsyth, myers park. i really think they would finish below second, maybe not in the top five. that is not a knock on them but a testament to how strong teams in meck county/N.C. are. look for example at Myers Park. they have a 4 star qb going to alabama, 4 star WR going to nc state, 4 star WR going to texas a & m, 4 star safety going to UNC. i'm sure thye have other good d1 players but those are the kids i can think of off the top of my head. even butler has a big, physical, talented offensive line which i think would give them trouble.

Impossible to know. I believe based on years of watching MC that this is one if not the best they have had. DF played them to a 27-27 tie under 5 minutes. My guess is that on the back of Olenchuk and several very good recievers they would be right there at the end. BUT.....If they played MC, then had to go to Butler and face another very good OLine with a 225lb RB, then play Gaffney at their place and in week 5 take on Vance.........what would DF look like after week 5??  

The Imeck is a flat out battle of attrition. Physical football takes a toll when you have it week in week out. 

i think talent wise, MC has had better talent. that team that lost to page(my alma mater) had dj humphries, jela duncan and a bunch of other great players. the team that beat page in the championship was more talented than this MC team, imo but this team appears to be tougher physically. Am i the only one that was not impressed with palimeiri's play calling?

7 hours ago, btango said:

I have Alcoa and Maryville on my bucket list.  Told Chris we need to set up a tour at each school to see the facilities (and trophy cases) plus catch the pregame festivities before watching them square off.

Well lets set it up for next season at Maryville. It's a bucket list game for me too.

• Like 1

not to look ahead to next season already but i looked at MC's roster and they have a lot of seniors. i wonder how they are going to be next season. i'm sure they have an excellent jv team and some good xfers will come in but they lose a lot.

3 hours ago, ninerfan55 said:

i think talent wise, MC has had better talent. that team that lost to page(my alma mater) had dj humphries, jela duncan and a bunch of other great players. the team that beat page in the championship was more talented than this MC team, imo but this team appears to be tougher physically. Am i the only one that was not impressed with palimeiri's play calling?

The OC was calling the plays.  

From a visual standpoint MC’s D is the most impressive I have seen.  The front seven is huge and quick.  Largest D front I have seen.  

The teams you noted had great skill players but don’t think they had equal talent on the front seven and probably not on the OL.  They definitely did not have the QB play this team has and that totally changes the offensive dynamic.  Not close!

One thing I think this team has that needed to improve over recent years is the kicking and punting game.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ninerfan55 said:

Coach Hellams is the OC along with Greg Tally as the assistant uptop & the play calling was spot on.

7 hours ago, ninerfan55 said:

not to look ahead to next season already but i looked at MC's roster and they have a lot of seniors. i wonder how they are going to be next season. i'm sure they have an excellent jv team and some good xfers will come in but they lose a lot.

This team has 3 mores seniors than the 1st State Championship team. We all know what happened the year after that season. 

10 hours ago, ninerfan55 said:

2011 didnt have this defense specially when you consider Simpson will move primarily back to LB ar some point. 

2015 was an elite offense especially at the QB and receiver but didnt have close to this offensive staff. The offensive staff on this squad is elite from the line and receiver coaches up to Greg Tally and Hellams.

This team seems to have a very solid kicking game as well. Been awhile since we could say that.

10 hours ago, btango said:

The OC was calling the plays.  

From a visual standpoint MC’s D is the most impressive I have seen.  The front seven is huge and quick.  Largest D front I have seen.  

The teams you noted had great skill players but don’t think they had equal talent on the front seven and probably not on the OL.  They definitely did not have the QB play this team has and that totally changes the offensive dynamic.  Not close!

One thing I think this team has that needed to improve over recent years is the kicking and punting game.

they did have dj humphries on the offensive line. number 2 overall player in the country and future first rounder, as well as 3 star Charlotte commit tevin lawshe. just saying, not disagreeing with your point though. this MC line is biiiig.

3 hours ago, ninerfan55 said:

they did have dj humphries on the offensive line. number 2 overall player in the country and future first rounder, as well as 3 star Charlotte commit tevin lawshe. just saying, not disagreeing with your point though. this MC line is biiiig.

2011 Oline was elite and had Brand committed to the run that night in Greensboro they probably win that game and kill Garner. That said sometimes it just isnt your night and that was one of them. Injuries, weird plays and a hail mary at the end of the first half that bounces off a kids shoe and ends up being a TD.........MArion Kirby STadium= House of horrors for several Meck County schools

Would be nice to see another "Battle of the Border" which was sponsored by 7up at the time (95-97). It pitted 4 SC teams (Dillon, Marlboro, Cheraw, and Central Pageland) against 4 NC teams (Scotland, Richmond, Anson, and Purnell Swett) with the winner bringing home the trophy to its respected State. Huge crowds and a lot of big time names playing in these games traditionally. It was really a great atmosphere! 

2 minutes ago, XwayHeel said:

Would be nice to see another "Battle of the Border" which was sponsored by 7up at the time (95-97). It pitted 4 SC teams (Dillon, Marlboro, Cheraw, and Central Pageland) against 4 NC teams (Scotland, Richmond, Anson, and Purnell Swett) with the winner bringing home the trophy to its respected State. Huge crowds and a lot of big time names playing in these games traditionally. It was really a great atmosphere! 

you could realistically have three of these series. One at Pembroke, one at UNCC and One at WCU and cover the length of the state. You could also do a series with Georgia and Tennessee. It would be great. Play all four games on Saturday (1A - 4A) for one ticket price.

SC has five classes, GA has six, NC has four but eight champions.  That discussion is for another thread.

If you are going to do that do not forget Tennessee and Virginia.

I just wish the teams would line the games up themselves as one offs.  The jamboree style does not work good due to potential weather issues.  Cannot go full pads with the temp over 90 degrees.  That ends day games.  The lightning delays.  Potential downpours which would hamper crowds.  I am fine with some of the better teams matching up and they can work the dollars between themselves.

53 minutes ago, btango said:

SC has five classes, GA has six, NC has four but eight champions.  That discussion is for another thread.

If you are going to do that do not forget Tennessee and Georgia (meant Virginia as GA was mentioned by the previous poster).

I just wish the teams would line the games up themselves as one offs.  The jamboree style does not work good due to potential weather issues.  Cannot go full pads with the temp over 90 degrees.  That ends day games.  The lightning delays.  Potential downpours which would hamper crowds.  I am fine with some of the better teams matching up and they can work the dollars between themselves.

Georgia Dome

40 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Georgia Dome

That was great for the Corky Kell Classic.  Last year they were not in the Mercedes Dome.  Not sure if they went back this year or???

Dang weather is crazy.  Lightning storms now and in a month it will be hurricane season.

7 hours ago, Wrigley said:

2011 Oline was elite and had Brand committed to the run that night in Greensboro they probably win that game and kill Garner. That said sometimes it just isnt your night and that was one of them. Injuries, weird plays and a hail mary at the end of the first half that bounces off a kids shoe and ends up being a TD.........MArion Kirby STadium= House of horrors for several Meck County schools

I hate that place smh

Sign in to follow this