Sign in to follow this  
Toad27

Biggest Suprise Week 1 (either upset or score)

Rate this topic

I would have to think it was Avery over Ashe.  Last year it was 50-7 Ashe this year 53-33 Avery.  Aver was up 53-14 before they pulled the starters.  Wish I was there but was at the Freedom and Shelby.  Sort of surprised with that score as well.  Not surprised that Shelby won, just thought it would be more competitive.

• Like 2

I would say Pamlico vs Princeton was a surprise. I mean, I thought it would be a competitive game. I knew about Princeton and their physical style of offense. I didn't expect them to blow out Pamlico with most of their offense back from last years title run. Riverside vs Bertie was a bit of a surprise. Hard to judge how a season will go in week 1 but Princeton and Riverside look to possibly have special seasons in 1A.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

I would say Pamlico vs Princeton was a surprise. I mean, I thought it would be a competitive game. I knew about Princeton and their physical style of offense. I didn't expect them to blow out Pamlico with most of their offense back from last years title run. Riverside vs Bertie was a bit of a surprise. Hard to judge how a season will go in week 1 but Princeton and Riverside look to possibly have special seasons in 1A.

The Pamlico parents are not very pleased right now. The loss of Nowell was big but no way should they lose that bad with the talent they returned from a title appearance just last year. 

Asheville blowing Franklin out by 34 really surprised me. I thought Franklin's style of play would keep it some what close. Also Hayesville pulling away from Towns Co.

I thought N. Buncombe winning over Patton 62 -20 was big. Not so much the win but the  score. Is Patton that much down or is N Buncombe that much good. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I thought N. Buncombe winning over Patton 62 -20 was big. Not so much the win but the  score. Is Patton that much down or is N Buncombe that much good. 

Patton must be plain pitiful to lose that bad. Heck even to lose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pisgah Bears said:

North Buncombe scoring 60 points.

How did NB do in their scrimmage with you guys?

Not so much the win but the score. This one I think needs recognition. Carson over South Rowan 56-20. Carson was leading 42-12 at the half. According to the Salsibury Post the RB broke the old record from 2010 with 344 yards rushing and 3 TDs. Will Carson be a team to watch for. 

23 minutes ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

Starmount 27-21 MT Airy. Mild upset.  

In no way an upset but East Surry over East Wilkes 69-7 was kind of surprising, they’ve got a big matchup with Reidsville in a month or so, should be a good game. East should be the favorite in the west for big 1a again this year

Robbinsville coming back after going down 21-00 1st Q to a team ranked much higher. (Maxpreps, Simmons, Asheville citizen.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Knights said:

Robbinsville coming back after going down 21-00 1st Q to a team ranked much higher. (Maxpreps, Simmons, Asheville citizen.)

Murphy, Mitchell and Robbinsville are 1, 2 and 3 in small 1a in my opinion (in no particular order)

I feel like all three are more even than in years past though, I don’t think Murphy is the out right favorite this year

1 hour ago, MHHS09 said:

How did NB do in their scrimmage with you guys?

I thought they looked pretty good in the scrimmage. they scored twice in the ten-play deal we scored once. In the game rules we scored twice they scored once. Got good size but not a lot of players.

Think they will be better than the last several years .

• Like 1

The one that stunned me was Lejeune. I mean I know Jones Senior hasn’t won any games the last 2 years but Lejeune hasn’t won in last 3 years and has 1 win in last 5!

To win 62-0??!!

Lejeune... we talkin’ about Lejeune! Not even talkin’ about Tarboro man. We talkin’ ‘bout Lejeune.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

The Pamlico parents are not very pleased right now. The loss of Nowell was big but no way should they lose that bad with the talent they returned from a title appearance just last year. 

To be fair they arguably lost their biggest talent at QB. That, combined with the Nowell factor and maybe they are who they look to be. I thought Pamlico over achieved last year and those 2 being the biggest reasons for their success.

2 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

To be fair they arguably lost their biggest talent at QB. That, combined with the Nowell factor and maybe they are who they look to be. I thought Pamlico over achieved last year and those 2 being the biggest reasons for their success.

They did lose the QB but also returned their 1800 yd and 21 td rusher from a year ago including a lot of their O-line in addition to their leading tackler. The parents say it is a disaster with the new staff. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

They did lose the QB but also returned their 1800 yd and 21 td rusher from a year ago including a lot of their O-line in addition to their leading tackler. The parents say it is a disaster with the new staff. 

The offense they run that RB better have big numbers. Watching them last year in some games there was no question who the best athlete on the field was was in my opinion it was that QB.

5 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

The offense they run that RB better have big numbers. Watching them last year in some games there was no question who the best athlete on the field was was in my opinion it was that QB.

The RB averaged 11 carries a game. I think those numbers had more to do with the 10.4 ypc rather than the attempts. 

Having to account for that QBs legs have alot to do with those numbers too. He orchestrated that offense to perfection. The option they ran was deceptive and teams had to pick their posion on who to target. Not only that he was a straight up baller on defense led the team in tackles if I'm not mistaken.

Not the biggest shocker but I saw a score that Wake Forest was beaten 27-24 by Cardinal Gibbons. First defeat in three years wasn’t it?

Dudley got embarrassed by West Forsyth 42-13.

Edited by GDG

5 minutes ago, GDG said:

Not the biggest shocker but I saw a score that Wake Forest was beaten 27-24 by Cardinal Gibbons. First defeat in three years wasn’t it?

Dudley got embarrassed by West Forsyth 42-13.

That dudley score was the shocker more than the loss.

1 minute ago, 704cougarsdad said:

That dudley score was the shocker more than the loss.

I agree. The score was the shock.

Cardinal Gibbons is the Charlotte Catholic of sports in the east.

Salisbury shutting out North Rowan and holding #22 under 50 yards on 22 carries.

score 9-7 nr scored on special teams fumble