Sign in to follow this  
Don Hines

Any Friday games being moved up because of weather concerns

Rate this topic

Yep, what happened to the days of playing in a little bit of rain. Back in the day we played in monsoons.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 84k said:

Yep, what happened to the days of playing in a little bit of rain. Back in the day we played in monsoons.

I’ll take flack for this statement, but I’ll own it anyway. It’s the Pussification of America. We’ve seen a generation of soft people come of age!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’ll take flack for this statement, but I’ll own it anyway. It’s the Pussification of America. We’ve seen a generation of soft people come of age!  

Won't get any flack from me. What you said is true.

• Like 1

While I agree with your statement to a degree, playing with lightning around is a no-no. While the chances of being struck are very low, it has happened before. Especially in soccer. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don’t disagree. I think combine it with our litigious society and people/administration what if things to a ridiculous degree and often “play scared.” Rain is just part of the game. 

The counter arguments are lightning is a serious matter. There is no school on Friday so what does it hurt. Also, fields are pristine right now & undoubtedly more damage is caused to them playing in the rain so who wants to cause more damage to their field than necessary week 1. 

That being said I wish they would stay on schedule because predicting the weather is a little like herding cats... good luck.

To answer Don’s original question, Eastern Alamance @ Graham and Cummings @ Williams have both been moved to Thursday.

1 hour ago, Schmo said:

Lightning + Rain = Diminished Gate Revenue  

1 hour ago, ConnerP said:

I don’t disagree. I think combine it with our litigious society and people/administration what if things to a ridiculous degree and often “play scared.” Rain is just part of the game. 

The counter arguments are lightning is a serious matter. There is no school on Friday so what does it hurt. Also, fields are pristine right now & undoubtedly more damage is caused to them playing in the rain so who wants to cause more damage to their field than necessary week 1. 

Both of you are right, but in my experience, games played on Thursday (or often Saturday), and especially Monday have less fans show up than would have come and sat in the rain on Friday to watch the game.  Unless it's a storm, I don't see rain stopping  most fans from coming .

Now in regards to safety, I am 1,000% in favor of not playing when lightning is close, it's not safe and nobody wants to see someone struck, especially a kid, at a ballgame. 

I think the other equation to this are administrators who don't like fielding calls from ticked off mom's because little Johnny had to get wet.  This goes back to the whole soft argument I stated earlier in this thread.  Some of my fondest memories (as a player, coach, or fan), are from games played in a driving rain.  We had rain gear, we used it, and enjoyed the game.  I was at the 1991 A.L. Brown vs. Concord game, which was played in a cold 35 degree rainstorm for much of it, but it didn't stop 10,000 fans from showing up.  

• Like 4

Chris, 

keyword you used on the lightning being close... not this ridiculous none seen for 30 minutes standard they use. Yes, I actually heard it emphasized by a white hat when briefing rule changes & emphasis items before a scrimmage this year. If seeing lightning is the standard then we’ll be delaying games with storms 50-80 miles away. Ludicrous... of course, I know at least 1 pompous blowhard that will argue they never use this standard & that I know nothing about weather!😎

Yall ready for some football yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recall a number of year ago, Alexander Central was playing  a game at Freedom High in Morganton.  It rained like it would never rain again.  There was a point when the officials spotted the ball and it floated, no kidding !

• Like 1

Back few years ago my daughter played on a little league softball team. One of the games it came up a thunderstorm and I thought are they not going to call it. Everyone scattered when it started pouring it down. In HS football a different story. Glad no one got hit by lightning. 

49 minutes ago, Schmo said:

I recall a number of year ago, Alexander Central was playing  a game at Freedom High in Morganton.  It rained like it would never rain again.  There was a point when the officials spotted the ball and it floated, no kidding !

And I'll bet nobody melted. Maybe some floaters lol!

5 hours ago, 84k said:

It's all about the $$$ and bringing that gate!!!!

• Thanks 1

I don’t think it has anything to do with kids being soft after all they are not canceling games.. it’s always about 2 things.....

1) Gate money... it cost a lot to host a game and if you’re not making money, you’re losing money. 

2) THE BIGGEST REASON ... if you have a grass field and you play in the rain this early, you’re playing catch-up all year. Your field will get torn up and then that following Monday or Tuesday you may have a soccer game and then another football game on Thursday or Friday. It is simply not worth destroying your field this early with possibly 11 more weeks to go. Especially when most districts don’t hire professionals to repair a field. It is up to the AD and parent volunteers.  Then you have schools and parents bitching and complaining about playing in the mud  during the playoffs when the field can’t recover. Lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter what you do, somebody gonna complain.  Water never hurt anyone.

I remember watching a 1A playoff game in South Carolina in the early 80's. The entire field was a giant mud hole. The only way to tell the teams apart was the helmets. Uniform numbers were impossible to see from the bleachers. On several occasions I remember players splashing muddy water in their faces following plays, in order to get the mud out of their eyes. What a game. 

• Thanks 1

1990 West Iredell @ Statesville - game gets halted midway through Q1 due to a huge rainstorm.  Statesville field floods as usual.  Instead of calling it, they packed the teams up and moved the game over to West Iredell.  Started back around 10pm and finished close to midnight.  Pretty sure Aaron Peele is the only player to score a TD in two different stadiums on the same night 😀.  A memory this old man will always have.  Fun times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, burles said:

1990 West Iredell @ Statesville - game gets halted midway through Q1 due to a huge rainstorm.  Statesville field floods as usual.  Instead of calling it, they packed the teams up and moved the game over to West Iredell.  Started back around 10pm and finished close to midnight.  Pretty sure Aaron Peele is the only player to score a TD in two different stadiums on the same night 😀.  A memory this old man will always have.  Fun times.

Never heard that before, that's awesome! 

• Thanks 1

I

1 hour ago, burles said:

Here's a strange one.  Alexander Central at Watauga in 2010.  It's the first game in Watauga's new stadium.  Weather played no factor but a transformer literally exploded about a half hour prior to the game.  No chance to get the lights back on.  App State says, come on over.  The teams pack everything and heads to Kidd Brewer Stadium.  The game kicked-off sometime around 9:45pm. AC won 20-0.

One that did involve weather.  South Caldwell at Alexander Central.  South scores on opening drive and a mega storm hits.  Lots of lightning, lots of rain. The game doesn't resume until around 10:30.  The game ended Saturday morning around 12:40am, it went from Football Friday Nite to Football Saturday Morning! !  South Caldwell won 44-30.

7 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Both of you are right, but in my experience, games played on Thursday (or often Saturday), and especially Monday have less fans show up than would have come and sat in the rain on Friday to watch the game.  Unless it's a storm, I don't see rain stopping  most fans from coming .

Now in regards to safety, I am 1,000% in favor of not playing when lightning is close, it's not safe and nobody wants to see someone struck, especially a kid, at a ballgame. 

I think the other equation to this are administrators who don't like fielding calls from ticked off mom's because little Johnny had to get wet.  This goes back to the whole soft argument I stated earlier in this thread.  Some of my fondest memories (as a player, coach, or fan), are from games played in a driving rain.  We had rain gear, we used it, and enjoyed the game.  I was at the 1991 A.L. Brown vs. Concord game, which was played in a cold 35 degree rainstorm for much of it, but it didn't stop 10,000 fans from showing up.  

If parents are afraid of little Johnny getting wet, then have him play basketball. 

3 hours ago, ZBVANCE said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with kids being soft after all they are not canceling games.. it’s always about 2 things.....

1) Gate money... it cost a lot to host a game and if you’re not making money, you’re losing money. 

2) THE BIGGEST REASON ... if you have a grass field and you play in the rain this early, you’re playing catch-up all year. Your field will get torn up and then that following Monday or Tuesday you may have a soccer game and then another football game on Thursday or Friday. It is simply not worth destroying your field this early with possibly 11 more weeks to go. Especially when most districts don’t hire professionals to repair a field. It is up to the AD and parent volunteers.  Then you have schools and parents bitching and complaining about playing in the mud  during the playoffs when the field can’t recover. Lol

SOLUTION:  Artificial turf fields. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrhonda said:

SOLUTION:  Artificial turf fields. 

We all love turf fields but financially they really don’t make sense very often. Money in school districts is tight. Always has been, always will be. Unless usage rates go up... this is what field turf companies sell communities on & they won’t at a high school... they are very hard to justify. They are in fact a luxury that most places just cannot afford in the long run no matter how much I may personally like them.

5 year old numbers but... 

20 year cost for field turf... $2.61M, Bermuda w/ sand base...$1.68M, Blue grass w/ sand base... $1.76M

If sand base not needed & native soil can be used for natural grass... the cost goes down considerably... in some cases by well over half.

This also assumes starting from scratch & actually using a lot on maintenance costs for natural grass. This money unfortunately gets diverted by school systems quite often

Use a reputable company that does natural turf & professionally puts in fields. Much more cost effective in the long run. The problem is too many places do a lot “on the cheap.”

I know a guy that makes a heck of a good living putting in fields all over the country. He’s especially busy during bowl season.

I know this won’t be a popular response but that’s ok. Weapons free.. fire for effect

5 hours ago, ZBVANCE said:

Great points as always but I agree with what Connor P had to say. The biggest issue is the lack of common sense with regards to delays and the clearing of stadiums.  

We have technology on our phones now that gives us real time information on threatening storm systems. The first sign of lightning or thunder cant be the reason for delay. 

Also the consistency of making the cancellation or moving of a game is way off. The Vance decision was a terrible one last year. MC and Butler played a playoff game in 2014 at Providence on a far worse field.

14 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Chris it takes guts to be a leader..I for one appreciate hearing the truth..If your comment hurts someone's feeling that's on them..we all should be able to say what's on our mind.. when we lose the ability to debate each other in a civil manner all is lost .

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:06 AM, Chris Hughes said:

Completely wrong. It's a money issue. That's it. 

Sign in to follow this