Chris Hughes

Week 1: Havelock at Dillon (SC)

Rate this topic

Havelock at Dillon  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner:

• Havelock
    • Dillon

One of the more anticipated games of the year, and if it wasn't for the Dutch Fork vs. Mallard Creek contest, I would probably be at this game.  Havelock is one of the most talented teams in the state, and despite the coaching change, I still expect them to be a force in the 3A ranks.  

On the flip side, Dillion is one of the perennial favorites year in and year out in South Carolina.  I watched these guys last week give Scotland all they could handle, and I totally expect this to be a street fight.  

I remember a few years ago watching Mallard Creek play Dillon (at Dillon), and it was an uphill battle in regards to not only fighting the Wildcats, but also fighting the zebras, who wasn't keen on a N.C. team coming into their state and embarrassing their team.  

COACHING MATCHUP:

Jackie Hayes is in his 27the year at Dillon, he has posted a 303-53 record. 

Allen Wooten is in his first year at Havelock, he owns a 39-34 record. 

Will be interesting to see if Havelock puts the Freshman QB out there. The Rams have a very stout D, especially the front 4. Those studs vs the duel-threat Dillon QB will be a fun match-up. The Havelock fans I've talked to say they feel much better about their team after the first few scrimmages than before.

This one is going to be a slobber-knocker. 

Nothing quite like the Dillon " experience ". Unreal heat and humidity, crazy ass fans, gladiator like feel to the stadium and yes....then there are the refs and chain gang. They can play some football down there though. I thought that 2013 team was very talented and they will hit you in the face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Unreal heat and humidity. 

You also have to worry about the gnats buzzing around your face and ears.  I've always put a dryer sheet under my hat and it keeps them away. 

Max Preps has Purnell Swett on Dillon's schedule(playing in Pembroke).  Is that a mistake?

I thought it was hard to get Dillon to travel.

31 minutes ago, Panther2018 said:

from what it looks like on maps they have very little seats

9ECB1DA8-DE5F-4217-83A3-21FB072F2C66.jpegThe stadium isn’t at the school, it’s a stand-alone stadium on the other side of town. 

On 8/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, Chris Hughes said:

You also have to worry about the gnats buzzing around your face and ears.  I've always put a dryer sheet under my hat and it keeps them away. 

That trick don't work so good at Southern Nash. Them gnats are immune lol