Chris Hughes

Week 1: Page at Davie

Rate this topic

Page at Davie  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner:

• Page
    • Davie

I haven't seen Davie yet this year, but I saw Page up close and personal on Friday, and have seen a few Page athletes over the spring/summer at some camps, so I have a pretty good gauge on the talent level of the Pirates.  However, based on conversation with other coaches about the War Eagles, and knowing a bit about the talent they return, and the gritty level of play that Davie always brings, I think that Friday's season opener should be nothing short of fun and exciting to watch.  

I think both teams will show the ability to score, but I'm also sure that both will probably make some mistakes as well.  In the CarolinaPreps.com Preseason Top-20 Power Rankings, I ranked Page at 11th, but having seen them, they probably wouldn't be ranked nearly that high if I could do it again.  The Pirates are young in a lot of spots, and while very talented, they've got to grow up and show that they're the contenders we usually expect them to be.

I'm not sure if Davie will be a 6 or 7-win kind of team this year, but this is what I expect on Friday. I have no doubt in my mind that Page will get Davie's best effort of the year, and I'm kind of leaning towards picking the War Eagles at home.  History shows us that they'll show up strong for this game, and if they do come out and win it, it could really change the trajectory of this team and lead them towards a big year. 

The new Davie stadium is a great place to watch a game, so get there early and enjoy the action!

PLAYERS TO WATCH: 

For Davie: QB Nate Hampton (Jr.) and RB/Slot Tate Carney (So.)

For Page: Both QB's could be fun to watch, Javondre Paige (Sr.) will probably start, but Alonza Barnett (So.) may be too talented to sit on the bench all season. 

COACHING MATCHUP:

Rolfes-Jared-19.jpg

Jared Rolfes is in his third season at Page and has a 40-22 record as a head coach. 

Devericks-Tim-2018.jpg

Tim Devericks is in his fourth season at Davie and has a 13-16 record as a head coach. 

SERIES RECORD (Davie leads 8-6)

2018: Page 35-28 (Page forfeits)

2017: Page 20-14 (OT)

2016: Davie 39-29

2015: Page 53-22

2014: Davie 45-40

2013: Page 32-22

2012: Davie 31-14

2011: Page 41-7

2010: Page 28-13

2009: Page 34-14

2008: Davie 50-49

2007: Davie 42-35

2003: Davie 34-14 (Playoffs)

2002: Davie 36-14 (Playoffs)

After the carolinapreps scrimmage at Page, there were a few notes made coming outta that night.

Page had a big hog in the offensive line that did not play because he was out of town attending a funeral, so Rolfes had to shuffle some of the boys around a bit, which caused some hiccups with a missed blocking assignment and bad snap early in the scrimmage. After learning this, it seems that the offense should be back to smooth sailing going into this week against Davie, and so forth. Afterall, Page's offense started to move the ball and roll later in the scrimmage. QB Paige threw a beautiful ball deep for a score too.

I know that Davie has the rising Junior back at QB, Hampton, i think his name is, and he looked pretty good last year as a sophomore. Will be interesting to see what he does this year for the War Eagles.

My gut says that Page probably has a bit too much for Davie this year, and it usually is a pretty close, contested ball game between these two ball teams.

One thing i do know, we will know alot more after this week.

Edited by JJ Barile

Does Davie still have that really strong looking RB they had last year? I don’t mean Carney because I know he’s there, but I know when we saw them they had a really good looking RB (I think if my memory serves me right, #7?) that absolutely shredded us. If he’s there I think Davie can make this a heck of a game, with their running game. 

Davie scored on first possession and had a WR pass intercepted, up 7-0 at half. Page stopped twice in redzone. 

Page ended the half with back to back sacks.

48 minutes ago, ninerfan55 said:

Any idea why the page TE transferred to grimsley? Also, wasen't branson adams from dudley on page last season?

Page has had 4 big transfers out of the program.

Branson Adams went to Dudley and scored their only TD on the night against West Forsyth. (edit: they scored again 42-13)

6'5 230 TE, Lawson Albright, transferred to Grimsley. His father, Ethan Albright, is a Grimsley Alum and is now the AD at Grimsley.

6'3 215 WR/OLB Isaac Walker, left to play at Hough.

6'1 185 , D1 offered CB, Joshua Butler-Garner left to go to NE Guilford.

Edited by JJ Barile

Paige throws a 10 yard TD pass to Cortez Wilson, 1 play after CJ Crump caught one for 60 yards. 28-14

Davie then fumbles on next drive, Page ball with about 2 mins left.

Story of this game, Page was inside Davie's 5 yardline 3 times and comes out with no points, finish or just kick field goals there and Page wins the ballgame.

Edited by JJ Barile

1 hour ago, JJ Barile said:

Story of this game, Page was inside Davie's 5 yardline 3 times and comes out with no points, finish or just kick field goals there and Page wins the ballgame.

Guess you have all the answers.  Coach JJ.

13 minutes ago, PureBull said:

Guess you have all the answers.  Coach JJ.

I definitely don't have the answers, just calling it how I saw it.

3 minutes ago, JJ Barile said:

I definitely don't have the answers, just calling it how I saw it.

Story of the game was a young team fighting back from a big deficit to be in position to win the game.  Guess it depends on how you look at it.  Negative outlook vs positive.  With high school football.....I look to be positive and support the players and coaches.  You be you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PureBull said:

Story of the game was a young team fighting back from a big deficit to be in position to win the game.  Guess it depends on how you look at it.  Negative outlook vs positive.  With high school football.....I look to be positive and support the players and coaches.  You be you.

I am in no way trying to discredit Davie, they made the plays required to win the ball game. Say what you will, but either way you slice it, Page left alot of points out there tonight.

A

I never mentioned Davie.  I question anyone directly or indirectly questioning a coach without knowing details of the team or personnel.  Maybe you are......but unless someone is at practice everyday with a whistle they don’t know the full details.

I'll admit I was a bit harsh earlier.

It was a good game from both sides, Davie just made a couple more plays to win it. Page is young in alot of spots and will get better as time passes this season.

• Like 1

Page had 4 great opportunities to score but came away empty handed. They shot themselves in the foot several times. 

• Like 1