Chris Hughes

Week 1: South Point at Crest

Rate this topic

South Point at Crest  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner:

• South Point
    • Crest

This is always a great rivalry game to start the season off with.  What is everyone's thoughts on this matchup?  I think South Point may be slightly favored in my opinion (but not by much), and is this a must-win game for the Chargers?  You know that the Crest team, staff, and fans expect to be state championship contenders every season and they all want more than a 9-4 record. 

COACHING MATCHUP:

Adam Hodge is in his third season at South Point and has a 21-5 record. 

Nick Eddins is in his third season at Crest and has a 88-24 record. 

SERIES RECORD: (South Point leads 23-14)

2018: Crest 28-11

2017: South Point 22-14

2016: South Point 27-12

2015: Crest 31-13

2014: Crest 35-13 and Crest 13-7

2013: South Point 35-16

2012: South Point 42-24 and South Point 46-33

2011: South Point 42-21

2010: South Point 29-27

2009: South Point 42-21

2008: South Point 35-28

2007: South Point 21-14

2006: Crest 54-20

2005: South Point 21-20 (forfeit)

2004: Crest 35-21

2003: South Point 35-7

2002: Crest 28-7

2001: Crest 42-12

1984: South Point 33-0

1983: Crest 21-6

1982: Crest 41-14

1981: Crest 17-14

1980: Crest 14-0

1979: South Point 18-0

1978: Crest 12-0

1977: South Point 35-0

1976: South Point 23-7

1975: Crest 13-8

1974: South Point 48-7

1973: South Point 33-13 and South Point 20-7

1972: South Point 15-13

1971: South Point 29-22

1970: South Point 13-8

1969: South Point 34-2

South Point is down to it's fourth QB. Rinehart looked good in the scrimmage against Hibriten. The problem will be his durability because of his size. If Jones stays healthy and the wing backs are productive, SP may still win 7 - 9 games this year. I don't see them beating Crest. I hope I'm wrong.

Next man up!! That's always been our mentality, we'll see early on what we're made of! I think we'll be a little better than most think. Having said that I see a close game that sp will win!

• Thanks 1

I'm just here to let everyone know that SP is the daddy to that team in Boiling Springs... they go by Crest. #MauryIsNotNeeded #YouAreTheFather

Uphill battle for SP in that offense without a starting QB but Belmont Boys are toughest kids in NC high school football. They are the Ponies daddy. Crest has been a good team but not a contender team since that 1A offense. Yuck.

Best of luck to Coach Eddins. Great coach and an even better person. As far as that "1A offense," well, Friday night just got a lot more interesting. If a "1A offense" comes out on top I guess you have lots of explaining to do. A very wise man said that "offense sells tickets, defense wins championships." 

If Crest DL is able to make plays then it should be the Chargers night. Like what I saw from the two QBs in the Jamboree and think you can get away with that approach in high school level. 

3 hours ago, Stick82 said:

If we can keep it close I'll be happy!

What? Have you no faith in the midgets? What has happened to you cuz?

Seriously it takes a good QB to make those decisions in the Redbone. Going to a third team QB may be a nightmare. 

I thought the kid looked good against Hibriten last week. I think he has the heart to succeed. He's just so small.  If Jones and the wing backs can carry the load and limit Rineheart's runs, success remains possible. 

Rhinehart will not be the QB. Javus Davis has had the job all along. The problem last week for the scrimmages were that J. Davis was not available that week and his actual backup has an arm injury which pushed SP to use Rhinehart. Davis isn't as big as Rhinehart so we don't solve that problem with him under center but Davis knows the redbone and as QB lead our middle school to a conference championship and QB of the JV squad in 2017. Crest is going to be a heavy opener for him and SP has other crucial injuries so I don't see SP prevailing Friday night. Raider football is Raider football....we all have seen them find a way to win. They are never out of it.

13-7 final Crest wins. I'm not shocked, Ray didn't play and our only offensive weapon fumbled twice, once on the 7 yard line and we had a little momentum. We'll be fine this year, we'll take it out on Lincolnton next week!

• Thanks 1

Very hard fought game.  Good win for the Charger young pups and South Point will be a huge problem when they are healthy.  Both teams were laying the wood on defense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stick82 said:

13-7 final Crest wins. I'm not shocked, Ray didn't play and our only offensive weapon fumbled twice, once on the 7 yard line and we had a little momentum. We'll be fine this year, we'll take it out on Lincolnton next week!

I was just hoping we could keep it close. We did better than that, we had our chances to win. I always under estimate my Red Raiders. Let them get a few games under their belt, get some players back and open up the playbook more. WATCH OUT!! As much as I love and respect the Wolves, your right. They're going to take a pounding next week. Sorry Wolves. 

• Like 1