Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Week 1: Butler vs. Hough (Thursday)

Rate this topic

Butler vs. Hough  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this battle between Hough and Butler?

• Butler
    • Hough

This is an outstanding week-one game between two Meck County powerhouses.  I feel that Butler has flown a little under the radar this offseason and has stayed out of the limelight, especially in the transfer wire.  Hough has a lot of talent but Butler is not an easy week-one draw for them.  

23 minutes ago, scots roll said:

Is this game on Spectrum????

Unfortunately, Spectrum doesn't do High School Sports anymore.  I was very fortunate to have worked for them, to include broadcasting championships and doing a weekly TV show.  The powers that be from Comcast who took over after the merge didn't want to do local sports anymore.  

I will be doing TV this season for Sinclair Broadcasting, but only in the Triad and Raleigh markets. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Butler in the mild upset by 7

You know, I have Hough one spot above Butler in the Preseason Power Rankings, bur is Butler really an underdog?  I guess Hough is perceived as the better team, but I too like the Bulldogs chances. 

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Butler in the mild upset by 7

Upset? Butler has been very quiet this off season. Brian Hales VS Who's the Head Coach at Hough?  I'll take Hales!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Butler just like @Chris Hughes stated have been very quiet in the off-season.  Butler is above average this year in the trenches which historically has meant very good things for the bulldogs.  Hough does have horses but once again historically it takes them a while to get all of the FA's on the same page.  Hales is the better HC in this scenario from a play calling and strategy standpoint so even if he is possibly a bit below talent wise his experience and early game preparation i think tips the scales.  Butler by 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

This is an outstanding week-one game between two Meck County powerhouses.  I feel that Butler has flown a little under the radar this offseason and has stayed out of the limelight, especially in the transfer wire.  Hough has a lot of talent but Butler is not an easy week-one draw for them.  

How is transfer QB looking for Butler? I failed to see him last year at Providence but did catch him several times the year before when he was at NW Cabarrus. Kid can sling it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SPRedRaider said:

How is transfer QB looking for Butler? I failed to see him last year at Providence but did catch him several times the year before when he was at NW Cabarrus. Kid can sling it.

What’s his name?

This game is a toss up. Butler is slowly dying as being one of the elite meck county programs. You have MP, MC, Vance and Hough..Butler is a little bit behind those programs and then rest of CMS. Butler for some reason doesn’t attract the transfers that MP MC Hough and Vance get.

54 minutes ago, Wiseman704 said:

This game is a toss up. Butler is slowly dying as being one of the elite meck county programs. You have MP, MC, Vance and Hough..Butler is a little bit behind those programs and then rest of CMS. Butler for some reason doesn’t attract the transfers that MP MC Hough and Vance get.

Just the natural cycle of things. School zones switch, populations move, etc... All things considered though, they're still a great team. Just in 2016, they really could have made it to the championship game. 

3 hours ago, Wiseman704 said:

Butler will beat MP this year and win the conference. Myers Park is not elite. 85% of Hough starters came from another school. I believe Butler takes Hough on Thursday. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, work7 said:

Butler will beat MP this year and win the conference. Myers Park is not elite. 85% of Hough starters came from another school. I believe Butler takes Hough on Thursday. 

I don’t doubt anything you say. Butler is still a really good program. They have talent and definitely have a good HC to compete with MP and Hough. MP is not strong along the lines so I’m not sure how far they can go but they should look good early when the weather is still warm. 

18 hours ago, Wiseman704 said:

I don’t doubt anything you say. Butler is still a really good program. They have talent and definitely have a good HC to compete with MP and Hough. MP is not strong along the lines so I’m not sure how far they can go but they should look good early when the weather is still warm. 

Weird thing about Butler is the QB spot. After years of game changers they have become just sort of above average at the position since Cheek graduated. 

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Weird thing about Butler is the QB spot. After years of game changers they have become just sort of above average at the position since Cheek graduated. 

Yes Peters the past 2 years was above average and thats it. Charest Lemay Ferguson Ratliff and Cheeks is a helluva run. I think Metzgar will be better than Peters. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wiseman704 said:

Yes Peters the past 2 years was above average and thats it. Charest Lemay Ferguson Ratliff and Cheeks is a helluva run. I think Metzgar will be better than Peters. 

I thought bad decision making was the downfall.  Football situational IQ was bad several times when I saw them play.  Hales looked like he was going to explode.

I am a Hales fan!  I think as an HC he is elite.  No idea about the staff which was a huge positive at the end of the Newsome years and beginning of Hales run.  They have not had the talent across the board nor the depth the last few years.  Had some strong skill guys and Cheek was mostly mistake free.  ARW saved them with his play making  many times.

Regarding MP they remind me a bit of some of the pre 2009 Butler teams.  Very strong staff, great skill players, not elite in the line, and not real physical.

Not to get too far off topic, having seen MP last week... if they get that Oline clicking on all cylinders... they can be scary good. That group of skill players they have is unreal. If Maye can get time to allow his wr’s to get down field, they will be a handful. 

As for Hough/Butler.... let’s go Butler! Lol

41 minutes ago, btango said:

I thought bad decision making was the downfall.  Football situational IQ was bad several times when I saw them play.  Hales looked like he was going to explode.

I am a Hales fan!  I think as an HC he is elite.  No idea about the staff which was a huge positive at the end of the Newsome years and beginning of Hales run.  They have not had the talent across the board nor the depth the last few years.  Had some strong skill guys and Cheek was mostly mistake free.  ARW saved them with his play making  many times.

Regarding MP they remind me a bit of some of the pre 2009 Butler teams.  Very strong staff, great skill players, not elite in the line, and not real physical.

Ehhh I didn’t want to say it but you initiated it. I think Hales is just as good as AB or Palmeri in my honest opinion. If I had to choose I wouldn’t mind any of those 3 type of guys to run a program. AB and Hales specifically are wizards on offense with Xs and Os. The biggest down fall for Hales recently is his staff not being as experienced as the one Palmeri has. Talent has dipped a little but it is still good in comparison to most cms schools outside of MC and Vance. Doesn’t help that they lost difference makers this offseason to those 2 schools also via transfer.

MP can’t compete with a team like creek along the lines point blank period. They do have impressive skill kids but it won’t be as effective in November.

Would not surprise me if Butler is not small 4A come playoff time.  Depends on who qualifies but they will possibly be a big/small bubble school.

4 hours ago, Wiseman704 said:

Metzer is just a JR and has good size and athletic ability..... he's still growing and getting stronger. Next year he should be very solid.

14-7 Butler. Game finishes up Friday at 5pm.  1 quarter remaining. In 3 quarters Butler might have completed 3 or 4 passes. Outside of the 2 block punts inside the 5 yd line, I don't believe they made it past the 50 yard line. Hough look like a 4th or 5th place team in the IMECK. If they don't fix it, Byrnes is going to beat them by 4 td's in 2 weeks. 

What a wacky night of football in Matthews.  I never ever thought I'd hear a referee call out "There are five minutes till midnight". 

The Butler-Hough three-quarter tilt was pretty good.  Hough had the better individual talent but Butler had a better "team".  Butler's special teams were phenomenal.  They blocked two punts and a field goal attempt.  Bulldogs were also hitting hard on D.  Had Hough frustrated at times as a result. 

Butler was their own worst enemy at times with penalties.  They were able to run on Hough a little bit though.  Butler QB threw a nice TD over the middle towards the end of the third. 

New Hough QB Darius Ocean had a so-so debut.  Ocean hurt Butler a little with his feet.  However, he misfired on a couple of would-be TD's.  He does have some weapons at his disposal.  Once they get on the same page, that offense will be really fun to watch.  RB Evan Pryor had a nice long TD run down the left side. 

After viewing these two teams, I think Hough has a higher ceiling than Butler.  However, Hough strikes me as a team that thinks they can win by just showing up.  I hate that won't be able to catch the rest of the game tomorrow. 

I thought Hough was pretty disorganized... slow to get plays in & get set up on O and not even set on D at the snap several times. Hough WRs also flat out dropped about 5 balls that hit them in the hands including 1 in the endzone right before the FG was blocked. The story so far is good Butler special teams/poor Hough special teams. The 2 blocked punts (1st one on the long snapper as he skipped it back there) led 2 both Butler TD “drives” of 4 yards & what was the 2nd one... 12 or 13 yards? 

I agree that Hough looks to have a higher ceiling if ever get it together. Offense should be electric. I assume the 2 misfires Chute mentioned were the deep balls going towards the field house where he overthrew them. I found it curious on 4th & 1 on the Butler 31 that a healthy Pryor wasn’t on the field. Butler is Butler... heart & grit... physical & kids finding ways to make big plays. 

I don’t know what the penalty count was but sure seemed to be a ton of flags, Also, 1st time I’ve heard of an unsportsmanlike flag for “not handing me the ball.” Yes, straight out of the officials mouth. It was the kid’s 2nd unsportsmanlike so he was ejected.

Game resumes tonight at 5 with 58 seconds left in Q3. Hough ball around midfield. 1st & 10. Wish I could see the rest of it.

Edited by ConnerP

6 hours ago, ConnerP said:

I thought Hough was pretty disorganized... slow to get plays in & get set up on O and not even set on D at the snap several times. Hough WRs also flat out dropped about 5 balls that hit them in the hands including 1 in the endzone right before the FG was blocked. The story so far is good Butler special teams/poor Hough special teams. The 2 blocked punts (1st one on the long snapper as he skipped it back there) led 2 both Butler TD “drives” of 4 yards & what was the 2nd one... 12 or 13 yards? 

I agree that Hough looks to have a higher ceiling if ever get it together. Offense should be electric. I assume the 2 misfires Chute mentioned were the deep balls going towards the field house where he overthrew them. I found it curious on 4th & 1 on the Butler 31 that a healthy Pryor wasn’t on the field. Butler is Butler... heart & grit... physical & kids finding ways to make big plays. 

I don’t know what the penalty count was but sure seemed to be a ton of flags, Also, 1st time I’ve heard of an unsportsmanlike flag for “not handing me the ball.” Yes, straight out of the officials mouth. It was the kid’s 2nd unsportsmanlike so he was ejected.

Game resumes tonight at 5 with 58 seconds left in Q3. Hough ball around midfield. 1st & 10. Wish I could see the rest of it.

This is why I can just never get too excited over these games or look forward to any of these games in August.  Every year, it's the same thing...lightning delays,  T-storms...delay, postpone, etc...

• Like 1