Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Week 1: Statesville at Hickory

Rate this topic

Statesville at Hickory  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins between Statesville and Hickory?

• Statesville
    • Hickory

These two programs have put on quite a show in the previous two season openers, and I think it could be another good performance this Friday as the Greyhounds travel west on I-40 to Hickory.  Statesville held their own in their scrimmage on Friday night against North Mecklenburg, but Hickory, who is looking to bounce back from a sub-par 2018 campaign will be without quarterback Jason Martin for the next few weeks, due to injury.  

However, there are still some bright spots for the Red Tornadoes, as senior running back Cody Young is talented enough to score from anywhere on the football field. 

Like in the last two contests, this game will likely come down to whether or not Hickory can win the battle up front.  Last year, they wore down late in the game because of a lack of size and depth on the offensive line.  While Hickory is stronger up front this year, can they finish four quarters and give the Red Tornadoes offense a chance to put enough points up on the board? 

I'm sure that this game will probably go down to the 4th quarter like the last couple, but I think I'll give the Hounds a slight edge. 

COACHING MATCHUP:

Stone-Russel-Mug.jpg

Russell Stone is in his third year at Hickory and has a 268-171-5 record, but is (0-2) against Gusler. 

Gusler-Randall-Mug.jpg

Randall Gusler is in his 14th year at Statesville and has a 102-76 record. 

My problem with Hickory was they look liked they were gassed so Conditioning maybe a issue and also QB is out! Hickory did not do wel vs SI in Scrimmage 

I think for Statesville They better get stuff together and fast! 

I have it 35-13 Statesville but As Noted: Hickory is a tough place to play n with Statesville looking iffy Anything can happen 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

My problem with Hickory was they look liked they were gassed so Conditioning 

This, and low numbers overall were problems for Hickory in 2018 as well, so if Coach Stone hasn't found a way to correct it, then it could be another tough year for the Red Tornadoes.  

1 minute ago, Chris Hughes said:

This, and low numbers overall were problems for Hickory in 2018 as well, so if Coach Stone hasn't found a way to correct it, then it could be another tough year for the Red Tornadoes.  

It did seem like they had more #s then last yr from what me n other seen and also their QB they used Seems to be a First year QB so Inexperienced May hurt them 

• Thanks 1

I think if Statesville loses  this one it’s going to be a long season for them. But personally I think this will be a big win for the Greyhounds. Now if Hickory gets starting QB back soon they could well turn the ship for the season. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I think if Statesville loses  this one it’s going to be a long season for them. But personally I think this will be a big win for the Greyhounds. Now if Hickory gets starting QB back soon they could well turn the ship for the season. 

Hickory was looking very strong in their first scrimmage against Burns before Martin was injured.  Reports have him returning in 4-6 weeks in time for conference action. 

• Like 1

I thought hickory looked pretty decent on defense in their scrimmage. Could definitely tell they’re still trying to figure out the QB situation. Statesville didn’t impress me a ton vs NM... maybe my expectations for them were too high... but you can just look at them on the field and tell they have the potential to be a very good team. Their RB looks amazing where he is given the ball. Their QB has size and a strong arm. Lines look like they have good size too. 

As for this this game I think this one goes in favor of the greyhounds. Might not be a rout, but I do think Statesville will wear hickory down and pull away second half

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Hickory was looking very strong in their first scrimmage against Burns before Martin was injured.  Reports have him returning in 4-6 weeks in time for conference action. 

Couple things I will add about hickory that I noticed.... unless I’m remembering wrong but they look to have more numbers this year. Not by a ton but it definitely seemed like they had more bodies this year. Second is size.... they genuinely have solid size, more specifically their defense. They had 2 LB’s that had real good size. And I believe they have a couple WR’s that showed good size.