Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Play Clock Changes for 2019

Rate this topic

48 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

Figured you may know the answer to this question, what happens in games like Mallard Creek/ Dutch Fork and Havelock/Dillion in week 1? Do they use the rules of the host team? If so, what rules do the NC coaches need to be aware of? Is this 40 sec rule in SC?

This is not an NC rule.  This a National Federation rule.  All public state associations except Texas and Mass Will have this rule.  (Texas and Mass use NCAA football rules.)

Host team has “jurisdiction” although the teams can negotiate if the state associations allow changes.  When Dutch Fork played at Allen, Texas they played under NCAA rules.

• Thanks 1

They used the forty-second clock in the Tuscola, Franklin scrimmage. The only problem I saw was on a long run the teams has to hurry down the field. Other than that it worked O.K 

1 hour ago, Pats86 said:

Just another way for some power hungry refs to determine outcomes. I don't like this.

I see it as just the opposite.  It takes the play clock out of their hands.  

• Like 4

I saw 4 different crews tonight.  Of the 4, one was really good and did things the proper way. Two were so-so.  The 4th crew was absolutely horrible.  Anything they could do to circumvent the play clock rule, they did.  They were consistent, consistently bad.

Anything they could do to circumvent the play clock rule, they did. 

How did they do this? The starting of the clock is in the hands of the official clock operator in the booth.

The only problem I saw was on a long run the teams has to hurry down the field.

They need to hurry down the field. We require them to hurry down the field.

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

Anything they could do to circumvent the play clock rule, they did. 

How did they do this? The starting of the clock is in the hands of the official clock operator in the booth.

Several times, they stopped the clock for conferences with other zebras.  Clock was reset to 25 seconds.  They then took their sweet time whistling the ball in play.  There is no need for this.  They must have their act together.  They, too, have 40 seconds to get it done

I do not have a problem when they stop the clock for a conference if it is used to make sure they get a call right. This happens in college games several times in each game. It needs to happen more in HS. I hate it when an official uses the excuse that this is not my call. If he sees something different and has a better view then he needs to insert what he saw in the equation. In many cases during the pre-season scrimmages they use these conferences as a teaching tool for the young inexperienced new officials. I do not have a problem with this use either. Now, during the season this second use should not happen. 

5 hours ago, Glenn said:

I do not have a problem when they stop the clock for a conference if it is used to make sure they get a call right. This happens in college games several times in each game. It needs to happen more in HS. I hate it when an official uses the excuse that this is not my call. If he sees something different and has a better view then he needs to insert what he saw in the equation. In many cases during the pre-season scrimmages they use these conferences as a teaching tool for the young inexperienced new officials. I do not have a problem with this use either. Now, during the season this second use should not happen. 

I'm not buying what you have to say here Glenn.  The umpire needs to control his troops and let them know they have a job to do.  He must convey this to them prior to the game's start.  The 40 second rule was implemented for a reason and every official on the field must insure it is followed.  These officials should know the rules.  If they don't, their credentials should be jerked.  I, for one, and tired of incompetent officiating,.  There is way too much of it.

Whether you buy it or not, I live it. It has nothing to do with controlling his troops. It has everything to do with making the correct call. I see it every week during the season. Some are more competent than others. The fact is they do not have enough officials as it is and if you get rid of all the inexperienced ones (you call them incompetent and you and I both agree that there are some) then who do you replace them with. I don't like it either but it is what it is. We are stuck with who we have. Like I said, college officials work together as a unit and many times one official will over rule a call after a call is made. Especially when he has a clearer look at a play. HS officials seldom do this. There is a huge difference between knowing the rules and applying them. An example is if an offensive player blocks a defender 30 yards away from the play (as a runner crosses the goal line) and grabs him by the jersey (as long as it is not flagrant and a potentially dangerous act) an official can call holding (which an inexperienced official might do) whereas an experienced official probably will not because no advantage was gained and no harm occurred. You could argue that a foul is a foul regardless of the circumstances but to me it would be the wrong thing to do. You could probably call a foul on every play but would you want to see this happen? I know for a fact that the experienced officials use the scrimmages as a teaching tool because I see them doing this and hear them. I like the 40 second clock and have confidence it will speed things up during regular season games.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, Glenn said:

The only problem I saw was on a long run the teams has to hurry down the field.

They need to hurry down the field. We require them to hurry down the field.

Ha.. heck yeah you do. Ag loves the tempo game. Fellas better get their cardio right!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Glenn said:

Whether you buy it or not, I live it. It has nothing to do with controlling his troops. It has everything to do with making the correct call. I see it every week during the season. Some are more competent than others. The fact is they do not have enough officials as it is and if you get rid of all the inexperienced ones (you call them incompetent and you and I both agree that there are some) then who do you replace them with. I don't like it either but it is what it is. We are stuck with who we have. Like I said, college officials work together as a unit and many times one official will over rule a call after a call is made. Especially when he has a clearer look at a play. HS officials seldom do this. There is a huge difference between knowing the rules and applying them. An example is if an offensive player blocks a defender 30 yards away from the play (as a runner crosses the goal line) and grabs him by the jersey (as long as it is not flagrant and a potentially dangerous act) an official can call holding (which an inexperienced official might do) whereas an experienced official probably will not because no advantage was gained and no harm occurred. You could argue that a foul is a foul regardless of the circumstances but to me it would be the wrong thing to do. You could probably call a foul on every play but would you want to see this happen? I know for a fact that the experienced officials use the scrimmages as a teaching tool because I see them doing this and hear them. I like the 40 second clock and have confidence it will speed things up during regular season games.

I agree.  A good umpire can, if he will, mentor a newbee if he will just do it.  God knows, this just might make him a decent official.  Some of these newbees really need to have their flags sewn into their pockets and the peas taken out of their whistles.

I agree. There are some officials who do not need to be officials. It is all about being in control with them. We lost a game because a well known long time official (now retired thank goodness) made a pass interference call from 40 yards away across the field totally out of position while a first year official 10 yards away saw that both players were clearly out of bounds when the mutual contact (they were both going for the ball and was too afraid to go to the arrogant older official and protest). I told him that had I been him they would have had to fire me before I allowed him to take the call away from me. The younger official made the correct no call but was too intimidated to say anything. I wish I could mention this older official (who also officiated wrestling for as long as I can remember) by name but legally that would not be the proper thing to do. I am just glad he finally retired because he was never good for the game because of his arrogant attitude. I have asked several older officials why they were still officiating and was told in each case that there were not a lot of people getting into officiating. I respect officials who explain things to you. I have no respect for those who give you a smart arrogant reply.

• Like 3

So far I have no negatives with the 40 second clock. In all our games so far it is working the way it is suppose to work. I do have a problem with some of the arrogant officials we have been subjected to in our first 4 games. We have one white hat who is so overweight that he cannot place the ball. He drops it from knee height. There needs to be a physical requirement for these guys. I am afraid that I am going to see one keel over. We had one (who has been around for a long time) who thought it was his job to make every call regardless if it was his or someone else's and it did not matter if he was 40 yards away. Thank goodness he retired.

• Like 1