Sign in to follow this  
Knights

SMC regular season picks.

Rate this topic

I might change a few before the season starts.

Andrews 5th  6-5 (2-4)

1. At Trinity Aca (W) 

2. Vs Carolina Gladiators (W)

3.open

4. At North Georgia (W)

5. Vs Rabun Gap (L)

6. Vs Murphy (L)

7. At Swain (L)

8. Vs Cherokee (W)

9. At Hayesville (L)

10. Vs Copper Basin (W)

11. At Robbinsville (L)

12. Vs Rosman (W)

Cherokee 6th 3-8 (1-5)

1. At Polk (L)

2. At Choctaw (L)

3. Vs Smoky Mountain (L)

4. Vs Asheville Gladiators (W)

5. Vs Trinity Academy (W)

6. At Swain (L)

7. Vs Rosman (W)

8. At Andrews (L)

9. Vs Robbinsville (L)

10. At Hayesville (L)

11. Vs Murphy (L)

12. Open.

Hayesville 4th 5-6 (3-3)

1. At Towns County (L)

2. Vs Copper Basin (W)

3. At Telico Plains (L)

4  at Lookout Valley (L)

5. Vs North Georgia (W)

6  open

7. At Robbinsville (L)

8. At Murphy  (L)

9. Vs Andrews (W)

10. Vs Cherokee (W)

11. At Rosman (W)

12. Vs Swain (L)

Murphy 1st 9-2 (6-0)

1. Vs Pisgah (L)

2. At Franklin (W)

3. At Georgia Force (W)

4. Vs Christ School (L)

5. Vs Life Christian Academy (W)

6. At Andrews (W)

7. Open 

8. Vs Hayesville (W)

9. At Swain (W)

10. Vs Rosman (W)

11. At Cherokee (W)

12. Vs Robbinsville (W)

Robbinsville 2nd 8-3 (5-1)

1. At Smoky Mountain (L)

2. At Life Christian Academy (W)

3. At Erwin (L)

4. Vs Rabun Gap (W)

5. Vs Georgia Force (W)

6. At Rosman (W)

7. Vs Hayesville (W)

8. Open

9. At Cherokee (W)

10. Vs Swain (W)

11. Vs Andrews (W)

12. At Murphy (L)

Rosman 7th 1-10 (0-6)

1. Vs Enka (W)

2. At Brevard (L)

3. At Madison (L)

4. At Smoky Mountain (L)

5. Vs Chase (L)

6. Vs Robbinsville (L)

7. At Cherokee (L)

8. Vs Swain (L)

9. Open

10. At Murphy (L)

11. Vs Hayesville (L)

12. At Andrews (L)

Swain County 3rd 7-4 (4-2)

1. Life Christian Academy GA (W)

2. Vs Smoky Mountain (L)

3. At Enka (W)

4. At Franklin (L)

5. Open

6. Vs Cherokee (W)

7. Vs Andrews (W)

8. At Rosman (W)

9. Vs Murphy (L)

10. At Robbinsville (L)

11. Gladiator Sports Academy (W)

12. At Hayesville (W)

• Thanks 1

Do you really see Cherokee dropping that much this season?  I understand a new coach, but has the talent dropped off that much?  

With the exception about my questions about Cherokee, I feel that you are almost spot-on with your projections, but I do think that Murphy can beat Christ School.  I think in losing Coach Lanford to UNCC, that it'll have an affect on their season, and I just feel that Murphy can handle themselves.  We'll see how it all plays out. 

• Like 1

Chris cherokee lost their star player Mintz to Christ school..and I think a lot of players quit early last year to play stick ball...just don't know if the interest is there.  With Mintz they would have been 4th. I see them at 6th without him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Chris cherokee lost their star player Mintz to Christ school..and I think a lot of players quit early last year to play stick ball...just don't know if the interest is there.  With Mintz they would have been 4th. I see them at 6th without him. 

Duly noted, thanks for the insight.  I guess I hadn't been on top of Mintz' transfer, that certainly makes a  huge difference in that league.  

Andrews lost 2 linemen to Robbinsville which doesn't help them .i could see Cherokee getting 5th but its Andrews spot to lose.

• Thanks 1

It's Murphy's to lose for sure. Robbinsville and Swain will decide number two in the SMC in week 10. Hayeville will be be in 4th followed by Andrews, Cherokee and Rosman. Transfers are killing the teams in the SMC. Mintz goes to CS, Rosman's top receiver goes to South Carolina and linemen going across county lines.  

A lot of people are overlooking Swain, but with 2 1000-yard backs and  a maturing QB and O-Line everybody better watch out. Are they the Swain of old? No, but they are not the Swain of the last few years either.

At Robbinsville it will be either flourish or famish with their non conference schedule.  Adding Erwin is no easy substitute for losing Christ School.  

Andrews and Hayesville are the teams that really could surprise folks and it's about time they do.  If these two get better the competitive balance in the SMC returns to what it used to be.

• Like 1

Cherokee isnt going to beat Andrews. I don't think they would have with or without Mintz.

Andrews has a pretty loaded junior class and yeah they lost the Rattler brothers but pretty sure O'Dell is playing this year and he's huge 6'4 280 and a very good athlete for a big kid (good varsity basketball player his freshman year at Nantahala) and has the potential to be better than either of the Rattler boys.

Andrews is going to have a big and good line and some good speed at skill spots, 2/4 of their western regional winning 4x100 team are starting skill players for them in Holloway and Gillespie. They won that 4x100 regional with four sophomores which is extremely impressive, they finished like 4th at state with all underclassmen. If Andrews could talk one of the other two off their relay team into playing again (Ellis and Scionti) the rest of the conference better look out.

Also Andrews got a freshman transfer from Murphy named Tae Charles who started at wingback for Murphy's JV team last year, he's probably too young to do much for them on varsity this year but he will be a good skill player for them next season.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:06 AM, Chris Hughes said:

Do you really see Cherokee dropping that much this season?  I understand a new coach, but has the talent dropped off that much?  

Yes, they lost a lot to graduation and have very little talent moving up from JV. That in addition to their best player transferring.

• Like 1

Also I'm really not convinced Hayesville will beat Andrews. Hayesville will have some really good skill players, some of the best in the conference, but Andrews will be way better in the trenches than Hayesville. If Hayesville had a good line they have the skill talent this year to challenge anyone in the conference, but they don't. 

• Like 1

I agree Observer,Andrews has a couple fast kids but track meets don't win football games.  They not only lost the Rattler brothers but I was also told their best lineman(Sammy Christensen)transferred to a private school . I have heard that Odell did come out however.  I'm giving the knod to Hayesville over Andrews 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoodKNIGHT said:

but I was also told their best lineman(Sammy Christensen)transferred to a private school .

That's a big blow, wasn't aware of that. I looked into it and he transferred to Baylor School in Chattanooga.

Yeah, that changes my perception quite a bit. I guess Andrews can't have nice things lol. Stillwell, O'Dell, X Rattler and Christensen would've made for one huge and good o-line, hate it for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestHendersonFalcons said:

I read this morning that Hayesville lost one of their best players to injury last week....... for the season it appears.

Definitely hurts Hayesville in football but hurts even more in basketball. Hayesville were poised for a deep run in hoops and now their season is basically tanked before it even starts. They will still be solid in hoops but no longer a serious playoff contender. 

Swain will surprise a lot of people I think they have a solid line with some size and if the top teams in the SMC are not really strong at the line backing and safety positions, they can really hurt you with their running game. The QB runs the ball well also. Did not see much out of the passing game at the scrimmage but could have not been trying to show anything. Heritage linebackers made a lot of the tackles at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. Safety and DB play was solid as well for Heritage in the scrimmage. I would not sleep on Swain. Well coached with size and good skilled players.

• Like 1