Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Who are the Top-15 best young head coaches in NC?

Rate this topic

Ok, so in a previous post, I've established who the Top-15 coaches are in the state today, but who are the rising stars in the state, the men under 40-years old who will our next crop of leaders over the next couple of decades?

Again, there may be no right or wrong answer, but I'll get things started with my list. My only rule is that the coach has to have already had a head coaching job to be on this list. 

1. Andy Capone (Weddington)

2. Nate Conner (D.H. Conley)

3. Scott Riley (Cleveland)

4. Nick Eddins (Crest)

5. Joe Nixon (West Rowan)

6. Ryan Gieselman (Kinston)

7. Josh McGee (Reagan)

8. Hunter Jenks (Clayton)

9. Jared Rolfes (Page)

10. Torrey Nowell (New Bern)

11. Brian Flynn (North Davidson)

12. Eric Morman (North Mecklenburg)

13. Kennedy Tinsley (Southeast Guilford)

14. Adam Hodge (South Point)

15. B.J. Frazier (East Carteret)

4 minutes ago, shelbyfan said:

One of the best is now at App.

He's a little over 40! But I agree, he's one of the best! 

28 minutes ago, shelbyfan said:

Come on Chris. Thats still young...lol

It's young to me!  But I had to start the list somewhere!

Do they have to be coaching currently? If not you probably have to add Sam Griener to the list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wrigley said:

Do they have to be coaching currently? If not you probably have to add Sam Griener to the list.

I did end up limiting the list to active head coaches, but had he still be active, he would have been at, or near the top. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

Sleepers 

Jamar McCoy Hunter Huss

Brandon Gentry Northwest  Cabaruss

Kenneth McClamrick Central Cabarrus

JK Adkins MT Airy

Those aren't sleepers, those are all damn good football coaches.  I also believe all of them are at or over 40, which was the defining age of this list.  

14 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Ok, so in a previous post, I've established who the Top-15 coaches are in the state today, but who are the rising stars in the state, the men under 40-years old who will our next crop of leaders over the next couple of decades?

Again, there may be no right or wrong answer, but I'll get things started with my list. My only rule is that the coach has to have already had a head coaching job to be on this list. 

4. Nick Eddins (Crest)

7. Josh McGee (Reagan)

9. Jared Rolfes (Page)

Such a big fan of #10. He's instilled so much in so little time thus far at NB. He's a great football coach but is most importantly a even greater teacher and educator to young people. Finally getting the pipeline built back up over here and I can't wait to see what he does with it.

• Thanks 1

Does Andy Tew not qualify? I see New Bern and Conley on the list both of those are fine coaches I feel coach Tew is well respected in the conference and in Pitt County. Maybe he's over 40? 

31 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

Does Andy Tew not qualify? I see New Bern and Conley on the list both of those are fine coaches I feel coach Tew is well respected in the conference and in Pitt County. Maybe he's over 40? 

Not sure his age but I think we need to see a little post-season success from Tew along with a few more notable wins. South Central's SOS was ranked 75th last year out of 77 4A schools. 

1 hour ago, bud33345 said:

Does Andy Tew not qualify? 

I've met Coach Tew a few times and think a lot of what he's doing, but I'm not sure he's under 40.  Maybe he is, and if so, then it's my mistake for leaving him off. 

1 hour ago, Tyler12 said:

Not sure his age but I think we need to see a little post-season success from Tew along with a few more notable wins. South Central's SOS was ranked 75th last year out of 77 4A schools. 

I agree those numbers  are terrible.  Split conference and location doesnt help either. When you have a record of 2-9 to running the table in the Conference and undefeated in a few years I dont think even coach Tew could forsee that happening. I can only assume he made the schedule thinking it would take more than a few years to be a contender. A solid season this year, with schedule commitments expiring, I think they will schedule strong 4A non conference competition going forward. One could argue Tew basically inherited a team with no culture, no expectations, no storied history, and no identity. One could say he is laying the foundation now and done it in a short amount of time. You make a good point though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I've met Coach Tew a few times and think a lot of what he's doing, but I'm not sure he's under 40.  Maybe he is, and if so, then it's my mistake for leaving him off. 

No mistake, they are so many great coaches across the state. Tyler12 makes a good point above. He is getting better every year and still trying to build a foundation. Last year he was 1 kid not having his mouth piece in/untimed down from having a deep playoff run. I bet he glues mouth pieces to kids teeth this year lol. Just another example of how football is game of inches, sometimes a coach's best laid plans doesnt cover all those inches.

32 minutes ago, dogs79 said:

Price at Whiteville! Trust me,he gonna win ships!

Hard to disagree. I also have my eyes on Barrett Sloan at Lakewood. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't leave Jonathon Wilmouth  at East Wilkes off the list as a sleeper. I dont think he is 40. Now that he has had a year under his belt and has some really good talent coming in East has looked good this summer.  

Missed Sam Mackey for sure,,,,  pretty sure he's gona make the short list over the next couple years.  Totally changed the defensive outlook for Hibriten as an assistant, and will continue to as a HC..

Im sure Joey Robinson is a little over 40 but he looks like he's about 35 .I've never seen a coach get as much as he does out of his players what he's accomplished at Mountain Heritage is a miracle this is not a easy place to win games we don't have the athletes that schools like Reidsville has but we sure did give them all the wanted last to season's losing by 7 both games..we as a community are proud to call Mr Robinson our coach and leader of out young men .Joey teachs these kids how to be secsesfull in life and how to be leaders our small little community are blessed to have Joey Robinson represent our community..He's a winner and plays the game to win its going to be interesting to see if we can keep our standard of being one of the top 2a teams again this year if you ask some of the players they expect to be really good .I would not bet against them..

3 hours ago, Mavrick69 said:

Im sure Joey Robinson is a little over 40 but he looks like he's about 35 .

While Joey has done an outstanding job, He is pushing 50. Think he graduated from MItchell, you all are welcome, in 1989. Which would put in in the 48-49 year range. 

Go Mountaineers

On 7/30/2019 at 9:46 PM, Chris Hughes said:

4. Nick Eddins (Crest)

7. Josh McGee (Reagan)

9. Jared Rolfes (Page)

Is Brett Chappell 40 yet? If so, he sure as heck ages well.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:08 AM, Mitchell county mountie said:

Travise Pitman should be on the list. entering his 6th season, he has had 4 straight 10-win seasons, worse season was 8-5, 57-14 overall, with a winning % of .803.

Ya Travis should be on the list of young coaches .he will be soon enough .I trust Chris on his list because he sees alot more coaches, than I ever will. ialways bring Joey Robinson up ever time Chris makes a list of top coaches just because what he has accomplished at Mountain Heritage you Mountie know how hard it is to win at Mountain Heritage it's not much easier at Mitchell. thru the years Mitchell seems to have a little more talent and usually have more kids come out for football. I often wonder if Mt Heritage and Mitchell were in better locations how many kids would want to move so they could play for one of our programs now we have had a couple kids come to Heritage from Mitchell could you amagine how much better Mitchell would have been if Zeb Vernelson had went to MItchell he was a beast..

Hard to argue with Capone #1. 28 years old, 15-1 record, 1 state championship, and in the running for a second. He’s gonna be good for a while

On 7/31/2019 at 10:04 AM, Chris Hughes said:

Those aren't sleepers, those are all damn good football coaches.  I also believe all of them are at or over 40, which was the defining age of this list.  

J.D Adkins is a 2001 graduate of Appalachian State University. So depending on several things he could be 39 turning 40 if born after you thread started July 30th. Just wondering your thoughts.

17 minutes ago, TD-FridayNight said:

J.D Adkins is a 2001 graduate of Appalachian State University. So depending on several things he could be 39 turning 40 if born after you thread started July 30th. Just wondering your thoughts.

Ok, I did a little research and J.D Adkins was 39 when he came to Mount Airy in the spring of 2018 so that puts him at 40 or maybe 41 depending on the month he was born and eliminates him for under 40. 

Speaking of younger coaches. Glad to have Luke Little at Freedom. He's brought stability with him that the program needed badly. I think we'll see good things from his teams.

Coach Charlie Dempsey from Southwest Onslow is one of the best young coaches.  In his first 4 years, 2 trips to the Eastern 2A Finals.  I doubt that many have done that.