Sign in to follow this  
1way2play

2019-2020 2A Preseason Top 20 West-East Boys Basketball

Here is a list of early season boys teams to watch on the West-East 2A this season:
2A West
Mountain Heritage is loaded again on a 21-2 team from last season. South Point returns 9 players from a 15-12 team. Newton-Conover returns 10 players from last years 16-12 team. Lexington was one of the best young teams last season and return 7 players from a 18-10 team. Other teams you should never count out: Shelby, East Lincoln, Forest Hills, and West Stokes. All our successful year in and year out and have fantastic coaches on the sidelines.

2A East
Kinston has 9 players returning from a 24-7 team. Farmville Central was very young last season and still won the state championship although they may have lost a few players to transfer. Randleman returns 8 players from a 19-8 team. Reidsville returns 8 players from a 20-10 team. Southwest Edgecome returns 7 players from a 15-14 team and Vance County returns 8 players from a 24-6 team.

Below is a breakdown of the top 20 West-East 2018-2019 records, the number of players returning, and the number of points returning. All data was compiled from Maxpreps statistics. I have also included last seasons preseason chart to show how experience and number of points do not always lead to high finishes but it is a general indicator as you can see. The top number is where they were preseason and the second number is where they finished postseason.

What does everyone else think? Have you seen any of the teams on the list play this summer and how good to you think they are?

2019-2020 West-East Preseason Top 20

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17nrNYJU66rbdJKhOdKEHl6uVzrrnxTxC/view?usp=sharing

2018-2019 West-East Preseason Top 20

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfGBOG-WFkH3S5mq5WJVi4a2Ot4mMSkZ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by 1way2play
links not up

Very good info you have posted. From everything I’ve heard Mtn. Heritage has been playing well this summer. Defeating teams like Hickory,  ACA and Carolina Day and a defending state champion from Tennessee. Lost a close one in their 3rd game of the day at UNCA to Christ School. They have the potential to do well this year  and will have a lot of size for teams to compete with.

Watch out for Lexington as well.  Forgot about them first time around.  They've got a good center who could be the X-factor in most games. 

Also forgot about Morehead and McMichael being 2A now.  I'm gonna keep a close eye on those two.  I saw Morehead over the summer and thought they looked pretty good.  Morehead's got a point forward that's around 6-5 who could end up being one of the more underrated players in the area. 

Eastern Guilford should make a run in playoffs not state championship run but win at least 2 games also should win conference. Leading scorer from last year team coming back Kadyn Dawkins should also lead in assists. He has had a big time summer picking up some college interest, OJ Johnson should be team leader in rebounds and another double digit scorer and once football is over Kamell Smith with be in the starting lineup hyper active on the boards finished the summer strong in AAU. They loss a guard to Page who would have started for them but i'm hearing another guard is coming in that may be better than what they loss. They will miss the leadership of Justin Matthews and Nic Cheely but should still have a better year than last year.  Smith is the top dog in the 336 and should be one of the favorites to win states return all 5 starters and some good incoming freshman one being Kobe George should be top freshman in Guilford County, then you have Northwest who also should make a state run with Chris Hampton and Dean  Reiber.  Grimsley will go as far as Ahmil Flowers takes them kid has picked up a offer almost daily since  the summer started. Private school/Charter GDS and Piedmont Classical are the best teams in the 336 and maybe the state.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:26 AM, CarolinaNiner said:

Eastern Guilford should make a run in playoffs not state championship run but win at least 2 games also should win conference. Leading scorer from last year team coming back Kadyn Dawkins should also lead in assists. He has had a big time summer picking up some college interest, OJ Johnson should be team leader in rebounds and another double digit scorer and once football is over Kamell Smith with be in the starting lineup hyper active on the boards finished the summer strong in AAU. They loss a guard to Page who would have started for them but i'm hearing another guard is coming in that may be better than what they loss. They will miss the leadership of Justin Matthews and Nic Cheely but should still have a better year than last year.  Smith is the top dog in the 336 and should be one of the favorites to win states return all 5 starters and some good incoming freshman one being Kobe George should be top freshman in Guilford County, then you have Northwest who also should make a state run with Chris Hampton and Dean  Reiber.  Grimsley will go as far as Ahmil Flowers takes them kid has picked up a offer almost daily since  the summer started. Private school/Charter GDS and Piedmont Classical are the best teams in the 336 and maybe the state.

It should be a great year for b'ball in Guilford County.  I can't wait. 

I caught the Summer Finale over at Proehlific Park this past weekend.  Jamarii Thomas and Kuleel Mading really showed out for the New Light Disciples.  Loved the energy and competitiveness Thomas played with.  Mading looked really scary at times.  He's improved quite a bit from last year.  It'll be interesting to see if HP Central has anyone to put around him. 

Oh.....and welcome to the board.  Glad to have another area fan to talk with.