Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

The Future Of The East/West Allstar Football Game

This week I had the opportunity to talk to many of my fellow FB coaches about this topic. First the fact is there are no DI recruits playing in this game because the DI FB coaches have made it clear that they do not want their recruits playing in this game. The players are all D2 and D3 recruits. Now Lenoir Rhyne  prevented their recruit from playing in this game. My guess is that LR started a trend in which more and more D2 and D# schools will follow. Pretty soon the availability of players will not be available. Another thing that was pretty evident last night was the fact that there were hardly any fans at the game.If you look in the program you will see that the attendance has decreased for the past several years. Judging from the attendance at last nights game this trend will continue.Last years attendance was just over 5,000. This years attendance was much less than that. One problem is also that the NCCA decide a few years back that their member coaches were prohibited from speaking at these clinics. Ever since then the attendance at this clinic has declined as well. Whether or not the NCAA realizes it (they probably do not care) that move has had a negative effect on HS FB. I have no solutions as to how to deal with these problems. One suggestion I heard was to move the game date and play it the week after the season finishes. Allow the Shrine Bowl to select their players and then use the players who were not selected to play in this game the same weekend on the Friday night before the Saturday the Shrine Bowl is played. What are your thoughts on this? As far as the NCAA is concerned I doubt that there is anything we can do to get them to change their ideas about once again allowing their coaches to speak. I agree with what Brian Bosworth said about the NCAA.

I like the idea about moving the date. Its hard to get alot of interest for football in the middle of July. I also dont feel Greensboro is the best town to host this game. Advertising, sponsors, and location can help sell tickets and promote the game. Whoever is responsible for those 3 things will be the root of the issue.

I agree with any player headed to college not playing.  Remember looking at Mark Maye’s hand 36 years ago.  Seemed to stay injured after that.  TA McLendon is the last big name headed to a major D1 I remember playing but I am not as tuned in on this game so may have missed some.

I do not think the NCHSAA will agree to the game one week after the finals with the recent history of the season getting extended.  Not sure a majority of coaches would be for it.  Two weeks after is Christmas.  It’s a tough one.  I have long wanted the NCHSAA season to continue with 11 games but do it in 11 weeks without a bye.   That would give them an open week before the Shrine Bowl.  I would not be surprised if the Shrine Bowl and East West game do not go away or have major changes in the near future.

What if the East West was for rising seniors? Granted you risk injury but that’s always a factory in any case. I think it would provide a better quality game and allow college coaches to be present at the game and gives them a chance to see players who may not be on their radar for the upcoming season. I also agree to have the game way earlier in the year...for the past couple of years I’ve seen players drop out and replaced with players who are not in football shape and most likely will not play football beyond the east west game 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, WiseOne88 said:

What if the East West was for rising seniors? Granted you risk injury but that’s always a factory in any case. I think it would provide a better quality game and allow college coaches to be present at the game and gives them a chance to see players who may not be on their radar for the upcoming season. I also agree to have the game way earlier in the year...for the past couple of years I’ve seen players drop out and replaced with players who are not in football shape and most likely will not play football beyond the east west game 

I now know why you are called the WiseOne. Great post!

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, WiseOne88 said:

I think that would go against a few different rules in place.  I am not positive but I can think of at least two.  Any coaches that may have more indepth knowledge please post.

2 hours ago, btango said:

I think that would go against a few different rules in place.  I am not positive but I can think of at least two.  Any coaches that may have more indepth knowledge please post.

I can’t see how it would be any different than the underclassman HS players who play in the USA Football games during the summer...I literally don’t see how it would go against any rules other than HS coaches not willing to risk their players for the upcoming season

SC ends the week before NC.  Myrtle Beach for North South game.  The crowds are not great.  Shrine Bowl attendance has been low for several years.  Seems to be the norm.

Yea I just wish someone would come up with a good solution to put a better product and experience on the field for the East West game...but I think the powers that be are kinda of old school and won’t look to make any changes. I wonder if those involve ever consult current HS coaches for feedback 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WiseOne88 said:

I can’t see how it would be any different than the underclassman HS players who play in the USA Football games during the summer...I literally don’t see how it would go against any rules other than HS coaches not willing to risk their players for the upcoming season

Not sure.  

USA Football is not affiliated with the schools or association.  It is like travel baseball and AAU basketball.

Dead period is the main one I thought of.  

Granted I understand that...but honestly the 4th of July dead week is the only dead week really needed, change the landscape of the coaches clinic and there wouldn’t be a need for that dead period I just think a lot of the activities and events that go on during that week are in vain and it makes it difficult for summer workouts as there’s so much stoppage due to dead weeks being so close together 

WiseOne88. There is a dead period during the week of exams which is needed. The dead period during the week of the East/West game is necessary because it gives an advantage to the coaches in the Greensboro area in that theses coaches could have early morning or late afternoon workouts while those coaches who live far enough away that they have to stay over do not have. To me the July 4th week dead period is not needed. It goes back to a time when the mills closed down for vacation. There are very few mills left and most businesses do not shut down. Having said all of this, I for one enjoy the 3 dead weeks because it gives us all time off from a very busy summer. Remember that the season is long and kids (me included) need time off to enjoy the summer and get away from football. Originally I was dead set against these 3 dead periods because I figured that it would hurt. The opposite it turns out is true. Especially since they occur during the hot humid days of summer. If 3 weeks spread out over the summer have an adverse effect on how your team performs then you have not done a good job during the year after your season was over in Nov. or Dec.

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

Glen, As a coach myself I am well aware of the dead periods I didn’t include the exam period cause that’s a given cause you’re dealing with the school at that point that dead period is understandable...what I’m saying is restructure the format of the coaches clinic and the duration have soccer and basketball on the same day and football on the next. The coaches clinic shouldn’t last no more than two days and allow the 4th of July to be a Dead Day for everyone in the state.

Good points. I still feel like the D2 and D3 schools are going to stop allowing their recruits play in this game, and at this point there will be no reason to continue to play the game.

38 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Good points. I still feel like the D2 and D3 schools are going to stop allowing their recruits play in this game, and at this point there will be no reason to continue to play the game.

That’s why I say have the game prior to the early Signing Day or prior to the national signing day in February...a coach can’t say no if you haven’t committed to them yet.

2 hours ago, WiseOne88 said:

That’s why I say have the game prior to the early Signing Day or prior to the national signing day in February...a coach can’t say no if you haven’t committed to them yet.

Would weather not be a concern in February?  Probably need some people in the stands paying for tickets to offset costs.  The Shrine Bowl happens because of the amount of volunteers and a lot of donations of goods.  

Being played during the winter sports season may cause backlash, also.

Who is the game for and what is the goal of having it?

So, in your opinion when (date) should this game be played? I agree with btango in this. Like I said, this game to me at some point in time will be so watered down I see no point in playing it. One of my coaching friends asked me what I thought about playing the East West game on the date it is now using  incoming seniors. I told him that I have mixed feelings about this idea.

Btango ended the thread with his comment lol...that’s the most valid question there is what’s the point and purpose and whose benefiting from the game. And I’d have to say absolutely no one! 🗣 Cancel it or adjust the format I’m fine either way 

I recruited as an FCS and D2 coach for nine years. I can unequivocally say that the north south game in South Carolina was of much better quality and it gave recruiters the chance to eval the second tier of players in S.C. (non shrine bowl). There would be 50 players on each team from power 5 to d3. Many uncommitted and unsigned. 

We should move the game to December. Crowds are overrated. The product is better and it’s better for the kids from a recruiting standpoint. 

Heck, I think we should move the game down here. All three brunswick county high schools have turf and hotels that are begging for business in December. College recruiters would flock. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TrojanCoachWBHS said:

I recruited as an FCS and D2 coach for nine years. I can unequivocally say that the north south game in South Carolina was of much better quality and it gave recruiters the chance to eval the second tier of players in S.C. (non shrine bowl). There would be 50 players on each team from power 5 to d3. Many uncommitted and unsigned. 

We should move the game to December. Crowds are overrated. The product is better and it’s better for the kids from a recruiting standpoint. 

Heck, I think we should move the game down here. All three brunswick county high schools have turf and hotels that are begging for business in December. College recruiters would flock. 

Just my two cents. 

Coach, 

I agree with you 100%.  I have been around this game for nearly a quarter-century and have seen it go from a big-deal, down to a shell of its former self.  I have a gameday program from the 1980 game, and it was jam-packed with future college and pro football stars, because the big-timers would be allowed to play before going off to college camps.  Now, most colleges don't want players to participate, and understandably so.  It's another opportunity for a player to get injured, and these schools already have a significant amount of resources tied up in the kid. 

If you were to move the game to December, play it the same weekend as the Shrine Bowl (on a Friday night), and you'll gain two major victories.  The first win is that you'll have a stud lineup of players, all of whom will get something out of this game.  You'll actually have college coaches who will be able to evaluate the players, and kids could get offers prior to the early signing period. The second win would be a better summer NCCA clinic.  Without a game attached, you'll be able to bring in the big-time college coaches and their staffs, something we've been missing for about six years.  I remember as a young coach being wow'd at being able to listen to Phil Fulmer, Lou Holtz, Mack Brown, Butch Davis, and others.  The clinic would immediately begin to draw more because it would be a worthwhile event.  

I have wanted the season to go to 11 weeks / 11 games allowed instead of the current 12 / 11.  I think finishing the season earlier would possibly alleviate some weather issues, allow winter sport athletes to compete earlier, give winter sports sole focus a week earlier.  It would allow for two weeks between state title game and Shrine Bowl just like SC and the East West game could be played the week after the title games just like SC.

• Like 1

Needs to be moved for sure.  Some good suggestions on here.  I would imagine these suggestions need to be brought to the coaches association.  I understand moving it to the coast-but thats not gonna fly every year to the west. I'd be all for having it at the beach, but alot wont see it that way.   Gonna have to have it somewhere relatively neutral, and since the coaches association HQ is in Gboro, the best alternatives may be like WF or Elon or some place like that.

Elon, Guilford, A&T, WF are all great sites and are all in the center of the state. I like the one site for all the games even if they start on Thurs. That can not happen unless they go to a 5A format. Otherwise if the 8 championship format is used they will still need two sites using the old format of one on Fri. and three on Sat. I have no problem with either format.

The Thursday title game format was tried with Shelby one year.  Do not expect to see that happen again.

Playing on Thursday basically required two days of school to be missed due to travel.  It was thought to be a hardship on working families and also for the students and school staff that wanted to support the team.

Coaches felt it threw their routine off playing a day early but both teams faced the same issue.