Rate this topic

I figured I get this one started being that the season is less than 2 months away, I haven’t heard anything new but I’m going to guess how each team finishes based on their schedules

1. Heritage 9-1, 5-0: Honestly with Heritages non conference schedule it’s hard to pick out a garunteed win, but with what we return and knowing how hard these kids play I say we go 4-1 against non conference opponents, I say we slip up somewhere maybe Erwin or @ Pisgah but win the rest, in conference play I really don’t see anyone challenging us except Mitchell and luckily we’ve got them at home, we’re going for 5 straight in case you Mitchell fans have lost count ;)

2. Mitchell 9-2, 4-1: Their non conference we’ll be a bit easier they’ve got 4 games that they should win by at least 3 or 4 scores but they do have two really tough games @Franklin and @ Erwin I say they lose one of those two, in conference they’re in the same boat as Heritage the winner of the Mitchell-Heritage game will win conference.

3. Owen 5-5, 3-2: Really only two games I  see them winning in their non conference schedule and I’m giving them both East and North Henderson, in conference I say they beat Polk in a close one and beat Avery and Madison by 3 or more scores then Heritage and Mitchell beats them beating by 3 or more, they’ll be improved even if it’s a slight improvement.

4. Polk 5-6, 2-3: I think Polk could potentially win their first 4 games @Cherokee, @ North Gaston, RS Central, East Henderson, but I say they slip up in at least one of those, I really don’t think they have enough fire power to compete with Hendo or East Rutherford either, in conference I think they are in the same boat as Owen, win by 3 scores or more against Avery and Madison and lose by 3 or more scores to Mitchell and Heritage, and in their game with Owen I give Owen the slight edge since it’s at Owen, so not much better this year but who know maybe they’ve got another deep playoff run in them.

5. Madison 2-9, 1-4: Really these last two are just guesses, the only game I see Madison winning for sure is against Rosman, Chase could potentially be a close one, but I’ve got them beating Avery at home to avoid finishing last

6. Avery 2-9, 0-5: From what I’m hearing Avery could be improved this year but by how much I’m not sure, I think their games with Ashe and Cloudland will be a bit closer this year which would be an improvement and I think NB will beat them by 2-3 scores, they’ve got 3 winable games against West Wilkes, North Wilkes and @ Draughn, I think they win 2 of the 3, and then I think they lose to Madison making the third time in 3 years they finish with only 2 wins and the 4th time in the last 5 seasons that they’ve finished last in the WHC.

• Like 1

I would go:

1. Heritage, until someone can knock them off they are still in first.  Randolph is poised for a big year. Even with the loss of Vernelson the line should be solid. This year Mitchell has the ability to do overtake Heritage,  but I have thought that the past couple of years as well. Until Mitchell can come out and not lose in the 1st quarter this game will remain the same. Heritage has come out the past few years and just taken it to Mitchell early In the game and Mitchell hasn't been able to come back. (Come on purple, make it happen). Should be another game this season. Heritage could face Reidsville deep in the playoffs again. 

2.  Mitchell, see above. Pitman and McKinney could put up big numbers. Can Mitchell replace the linebackers and a couple of key linemen? If everyone stays healthy Mitchell should be a serious 1a contender out off the west, along with Murphy and Robbinsville.

3. Owen, will definitely be improved. Would not be suprised if they upset one of the top 2. I dont expect it but it could happen.

4. Polk, Polk is Polk and will play hard every play and can play with anyone on a given night.

5. Avery, can they replace do everything McCallum(spelling?)?

6. Madison, honestly I have no idea about them. I could be way way off.

• Like 1

I think with our line and alot of returning skill that were very young last year we might just sneak up and challenge one of the top 2 teams.  Maybe we can have a 3 way tie up at the top.

• Like 2

As far as our non conference.  Brevard lost alot of seniors and production and  the score was 0-0 halfway through the 3rd quarter last year.  Franklin scored 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes of the first half vs us with the score tied at 0 till that point.  They also lost alot of seniors.  Those games are much more winnable than you may think. ACR will have more talent but I think is is very possible for us to be 4-1 in non conference but more than likely 3-2. The gap has been large the last couple years in the WHC.  It's been Heritage and Mitchell then a large gap to the rest.  The gap is closing and fast.  We will compete if not beat one or both of those teams this year.  I could see Mitchell upset Heritage and Owen upset Mitchell but Owen lose to Heritage as a likely scenario.  Time will tell.  Still a long time till then.  1 or 2 injuries or 1 or 2 players choosing to play or not play can be a big difference with these teams.  I can say that I am more excited about this season than I have been in a long time.  The winner at the line of scrimmage wins games and I feel we have a solid group there.  I said before that peewee herman could run behind this line so I hope they prove me right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen Stampede said:

Is that Gibbs in the drill? You can tell he’s been hitting the weight room for sure lol, Sorry if my picks are a little bit off I have yet to talk to anyone who knows what’s going on in the conference this year,  I was basing most my picks off of last year, I know back in 07 we were terrible and in 08 we were a totally different team so I think Owen could have a break out year.

Our line has been working real hard. In fact the whole team has.  The entire line went to camp together and skill guys have been going to camps as well.  I sure hope the work pays off.  They deserve a breakout year.

• Like 1

Also all of these picks are just speculation.  We dont truly know what will happen with 15-18 year old kids.  Message boards are for opinions.  We all have one.  No need for us to get bent out of shape.  I have taken this stuff too seriously in the past.  I'm trying not to anymore.

• Like 1

Did anyone go to the 7 on 7 yesterday (7/9/19) at Erwin?  I have had several people tell me that Madison might surprise some folks this year.  My reaction was - ok.  In what way?  Supposedly - there demeanor seems to be different the kids our playing with a competitive drive.  Also, heard that both QB's looked really well (one is a freshmen).  Again it's 7 on 7 everyone looks good without pressure.  But from what I've heard they've got 2 QBs and 2 WRs that are pretty good.  Wonder what their line is going to look like?  Does anyone have any idea what offensive scheme they will be running - in the past they've been primarily a running team - why show up to a 7 on 7?  A little skeptical and still don't know how much better they will be - It's Madison.  But maybe they are turning the program around. - time will tell.

1. Heritage
  2. Mitchell
  3. Owen
  4. Polk
  5. Madison
  6. Avery

You can expect the same from Heritage and Mitchell.  Owen looks really good this year.  Don't know where Polk stands but I think Owen will have the edge on them.  Madison and Avery looks to be a toss up.  But if the talk is real - expect Madison to surprise some folks this year.

• Like 1

The problem with Madison is; they have the pieces every season, they just cant get out of their own way to put them together. They always have size, and here recently, they have had some pretty good QB's. A counple years ago they had one of the most underrated RB's in the area, I think his name was Snellson, but kid was like 6'-2" 230, and ran the 40 in like 4.7-8 pretty quick for a big boy. But a lack of conditioning and drive, not to mention their fondness of dirty play, holds the Pats back every season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

The problem with Madison is; they have the pieces every season, they just cant get out of their own way to put them together. They always have size, and here recently, they have had some pretty good QB's. A counple years ago they had one of the most underrated RB's in the area, I think his name was Snellson, but kid was like 6'-2" 230, and ran the 40 in like 4.7-8 pretty quick for a big boy. But a lack of conditioning and drive, not to mention their fondness of dirty play, holds the Pats back every season.

Sounds like another team that starts with McD lol

On 7/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, WestHendersonFalcons said:

As if Madison's football program couldn't take anymore hits, I just saw in the paper this morning where the majority of their home side stands will have to be blocked off because it didn't pass inspection.

Smh

On 7/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, WestHendersonFalcons said:

As if Madison's football program couldn't take anymore hits, I just saw in the paper this morning where the majority of their home side stands will have to be blocked off because it didn't pass inspection.

Yeah and the lowest bid came in at 3mil and some change.

The kids of the AD at Mars Hill went to Madison so that may be an option.  It will be interesting to see what Madison does with this problem.  

1 hour ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

What is the latest word around the conference? Scrimmages? I know Heritage scrimmages Swain, but ive been out of the loop this summer.

The latest I've seen - August 12 (6pm) - North Henderson @ Polk

August 13 (6pm) -  Avery, Happy Valley TN, Patton, Rosman all @ Avery

August 15 (6pm) - McDowell @ Owen

August 16 (6pm except ??? for Heritage) - Mitchell @ Enka; Madison vs Patton @ East Burke; Swain @ Heiritage

• Like 1

I still believe Heritage and Mitchell will be the class of the conference with Owen showing good improvement. I have heard that Polk may have had a few transfers that would definitely help them this season. They are always a tough battle for any team in conference play. 

Mtn. Heritage has added some depth to their defensive back and wide receiver positions, with the return of a basketball player who had not played last year and the addition of another basketball player that will bring a lot of athleticism and size to these positions as well. Linebackers and secondary should definitely be a strength for the Cougars this year.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, titanman27 said:

It has been eerily quiet on here this year. I was expecting a lot of hype, especially from the Mitchell folks. 

Could be a special year if Mitchell can avoid injuries.  Turnout was a little low for the JV squad, so this could be it for a couple of years.

10 minutes ago, Bonecollector said:

Could be a special year if Mitchell can avoid injuries.  Turnout was a little low for the JV squad, so this could be it for a couple of years.

I agree on it being a special year for Mitchell. I think this could be the year they get by Heritage and make a run to the state title. But I thought that last year too! 

I have much respect for the Brevard program and coaching staff. they play a similar hard nosed game like Heritage does. I do feel that they may have some tough spots to fill as all of our teams do. I'm not sure what they had coming up from JV or backups but would be tough for me to judge. Honestly I would have to think they were stronger last year with what I know now. We will find out next week. 

I've heard Heritage JVs have a lot of size and some speed this year. That is good news as well. Also that the lineman are looking really good for Heritage and with the LB crew back in full force from last year, I expect the Heritage defense to be very stingy again this year. 

6 hours ago, titanman27 said:

It has been eerily quiet on here this year. I was expecting a lot of hype, especially from the Mitchell folks. 

Everyone in purple country knows that it could be a special year, and it will be barring a catastrophic meltdown, or a key injury. I think Mitchell fans are afraid of jynxing anything by barking. Trust me, Mitchell and Yancey counties are electric right now. Everywhere you turn its football football football. If both stay healthy, both have a good shot at an undefeated matchup come October. Im hearing good things outta Black Mountain and Colombus, and fair buzz from Newland. Madison not so much. I will do my yearly preview Sunday or Monday.

• Like 2

Providing we can stay healthy Owen is gonna surprise.  The first 2 games we will be without 3 starters on both sides of the ball and possibly a 4th but I still feel we should beat East and we shall see about ACR.  Then we get those 3 back.  We have a handful of guys playing this year whom havent played since freshmen year and have 2 that just moved in waiting for clearance to play.  Plus we got Saevion back so we are a new look, much improved squad.  This conference is Heritage's until someone knocks them off but I believe Owen or Mitchell can and Polk is a wild card with the new transfers so who knows what Ollis might get done.  The WHC might be the toughest conference in the Mountains this year.  Its gonna be fun but like I said, at Owen, if we have injuries it can cripple us, the same goes for the rest of the WHC.  With 1a and 2a schools you cant overcome to many major injuries.  1 or 2 players make a huge difference and you usually lose a starter on both sides of the ball when someone goes down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen Stampede said:

Providing we can stay healthy Owen is gonna surprise.  The first 2 games we will be without 3 starters on both sides of the ball and possibly a 4th but I still feel we should beat East and we shall see about ACR.  Then we get those 3 back.  We have a handful of guys playing this year whom havent played since freshmen year and have 2 that just moved in waiting for clearance to play.  Plus we got Saevion back so we are a new look, much improved squad.  This conference is Heritage's until someone knocks them off but I believe Owen or Mitchell can and Polk is a wild card with the new transfers so who knows what Ollis might get done.  The WHC might be the toughest conference in the Mountains this year.  Its gonna be fun but like I said, at Owen, if we have injuries it can cripple us, the same goes for the rest of the WHC.  With 1a and 2a schools you cant overcome to many major injuries.  1 or 2 players make a huge difference and you usually lose a starter on both sides of the ball when someone goes down.

Owen won't surprise anyone in the WHC. We know what is being returned and know Owen is inching their way back up. They might raise a few eyebrows from the casual onlookers, but us in the conference know what to expect. The only "surprise" would be if Owen won conference in dominating fashion. I see a couple scenarios playing out.

1 - Mountain Heritage wins outright.

2 - Mitchell wins outright

3 - Mitchell beats Heritage, and Owen beats Mitchell for a 3 way tie

4 - Bruce Ollis pulls some BS out of his hat, and upsets Mitchell or Mountain Heritage and takes 2nd place.

• Like 3

It will be an interesting season conference wise. Mitchell and Heritage are solid well coached teams and play a physical brand of football. Haven’t been able to follow my Warhorses in depth yet but hear we have a good core. Would love to see a more competitive conference this season, as opposed to the Mitchell/Heritage show. Mark my words if Owen is “struggling” this season, I will be attending the Heritage vs Mitchell game this season... just have to decide what side to sit on.... haha. I guess whoever slides me a free hat or shirt! Have a great time pulling for your teams this season guys!!!! Hoping we’re solid and keep moving forward this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired Warhorse said:

It will be an interesting season conference wise. Mitchell and Heritage are solid well coached teams and play a physical brand of football. Haven’t been able to follow my Warhorses in depth yet but hear we have a good core. Would love to see a more competitive conference this season, as opposed to the Mitchell/Heritage show. Mark my words if Owen is “struggling” this season, I will be attending the Heritage vs Mitchell game this season... just have to decide what side to sit on.... haha. I guess whoever slides me a free hat or shirt! Have a great time pulling for your teams this season guys!!!! Hoping we’re solid and keep moving forward this year.  

You know Mitchell is purple because when you combine the colors of the two former high schools, maroon and blue you get purple. So you could wear maroon and sit on the Mitchell side you wouldn't even be out of place..  

GO MOUNTAINEERS 

• Haha 1