Rate this topic

What is the outlook for these teams this year? Bandys, North Lincoln and West Lincoln came out of nowhere last year. Maiden and East Lincoln are always solid. Newton-Conover and Lincolnton are on the rise. And I believe Lake Norman Charter has a new coach now, will they be any better? What are the conference predictions?

From what I’m hearing N. Lincoln will be loaded and will be the favorite to the win the conference. Also Bandys may drop down some after losing their good RB back from last year. I’m hearing Maiden should improve from last year. With the rest I have no idea. But we will find out when the season kicks in. 

North is the favorite but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop a game or two. As for Lincolnton, we are very young and inexperienced but have a feeling the kids will be hungry. If we can win one or two early that we're not supposed to I think we will be in the conversation at the top of the conference. Coach Glass has already made tremendous strides. 

• Like 1

I like some of the pieces Newton has in place. Lots of athletes, just seems like we are one to two years away. Good things are coming, but will have to improve on defense in order to compete. We never really have much trouble on offense, but defense needs to get off the field more this season. My personal favorite thought for the year is that Newton needs to get the ball to the running back more this year. I have said it for years. It shortens the game and puts less stress on the defense.

North: Loaded, not sure they see a blemish in conference. Could be tested most by East Rutherford in week 2.

Bandys Down from 2018. 6-7 wins on the season and could be as many as 9. No early test

Lincolnton: Glass adds five to 6 wins per year as a great coach. Tests Early

East:  Not much left there

West: Similar to every year

Charter: Get your 2nd string ready to play 

Maiden: Picture of consistency lately. 500 season minimum. No early tests

Newton: Better, but early tests could leave the team fighting to get into playoff contention. Tough early tests define season

My two cents about scheduling. I hope that SOS is important in the metrics that pick playoff contenders. A 6 win Newton and Lincolnton team means more than 8 win teams who play four cupcakes to start the year. 

I think it is a battle for 2nd this year. I believe the 2 seed could be 5-6 different teams depending on how wins fall. Should be a really fun year.

• Like 1

I think this conference is wide open. On paper North should blow by everyone but I could see them finishing anywhere from 1-4. They won some games last year that could easily have went the other way. 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:15 PM, Wolf4Lyfe said:

I think this conference is wide open. On paper North should blow by everyone but I could see them finishing anywhere from 1-4. They won some games last year that could easily have went the other way. 

Lincolnton has serious issues more pressing than football right now. That principal is a disgusting man if all is true. Jeez we keep hearing of these teachers and administrators almost daily. Hopefully the next school leader is on board with raising the bar on academics and sports. Kids are not safe anywhere it seems.

1 minute ago, GDG said:

Lincolnton has serious issues more pressing than football right now. That principal is a disgusting man if all is true. Jeez we keep hearing of these teachers and administrators almost daily. Hopefully the next school leader is on board with raising the bar on academics and sports. Kids are not safe anywhere it seems.

Football is not the main concern at the moment. 

North Lincoln should be the team to beat.  Ran into coach Bazzle recently and he stressed that his team shocked people last year but now it's expected.  He'll have them ready but sometimes expectations are tough to handle.  Lincolnton will win more games than last year.  Glass will get them back but I'm not sure how far the climb is.  Can Newton Conover be relevant again ?  Not being critical but I'm sure some Red Devil fans will have some input about where the program is headed.  Maiden will be tough as usual but I don't know they can handle North Lincoln.  Bandys, don't overlook them.

This year the finish in conference is tough to get a handle on. I was very impressed with the coaching last year at NL, WL, and Bandys.

North Lincoln- good kids who want to succeed. Has the best coach in the conference who keeps it real from day one with the kids. No inflating egos for Bazzle. It’s one week at a time. Creates a culture that doesn’t bring the kids down if they have a Friday night loss. Got a very good running back who will do well in the option. Kids play hard on defense. This team is the front runner.

West Lincoln- have heard little about West but they had lots of kids who contributed last year. Great year in 2018. Lost some talent on offense and not sure it’s getting replaced. Not a title contender. Lower end may be explicated.

Bandys- Incredible work done by Eanas the coach who came from Patton. Put in an offense I loved. Trashed the opponents in conference. The stud brutal runner has graduated. That’s a huge hole but they have kids returning who ran the ball well. Their numbers were waaaaay up last year. They have plenty of talent and they have been fueled by a long coming coaching change. Expect a contention for a top spot. I like them to compete with North Lincoln.

Maiden- the weapons are not there for competing for a conference title but let’s not forget its Maiden. As always they will be solid. I know a number of people will refer to their JV team. I don’t put much into JV success unless the varsity is great. One of my favorite coaches in the conference on Friday night. He’s a very good in play game adjustment coach and always in the game till the end.

Newton-Conover- they will have the best offensive line in the conference. They will have the best running back in the conference. They will have the best two receivers in the conference. That all means they will finish middle of the conference. Defense wins games.

East Lincoln- I got nothing. Even guys around that area have not heard a peep.

Lincolnton- New Coach in Joe Glass. Talent is down. Numbers are down from former years. School is in turmoil after the arrest of the principal for sexual relations with at least one male student and nude pictures of 6 school boys. Lincolnton will get new admin leadership which may or may not be athletics inclined. Did not have talent last year to compete. Lack getting kids who were the trench guys and tacklers. I see a couple more wins just in a change of Joe Glass.

Lake Norman- Football is not priority. They play it but it’s low on the list of desires. Expect much the same results. Last place.

3 hours ago, GDG said:

This year the finish in conference is tough to get a handle on. I was very impressed with the coaching last year at NL, WL, and Bandys.

North Lincoln- good kids who want to succeed. Has the best coach in the conference who keeps it real from day one with the kids. No inflating egos for Bazzle. It’s one week at a time. Creates a culture that doesn’t bring the kids down if they have a Friday night loss. Got a very good running back who will do well in the option. Kids play hard on defense. This team is the front runner.

West Lincoln- have heard little about West but they had lots of kids who contributed last year. Great year in 2018. Lost some talent on offense and not sure it’s getting replaced. Not a title contender. Lower end may be explicated.

Bandys- Incredible work done by Eanas the coach who came from Patton. Put in an offense I loved. Trashed the opponents in conference. The stud brutal runner has graduated. That’s a huge hole but they have kids returning who ran the ball well. Their numbers were waaaaay up last year. They have plenty of talent and they have been fueled by a long coming coaching change. Expect a contention for a top spot. I like them to compete with North Lincoln.

Maiden- the weapons are not there for competing for a conference title but let’s not forget its Maiden. As always they will be solid. I know a number of people will refer to their JV team. I don’t put much into JV success unless the varsity is great. One of my favorite coaches in the conference on Friday night. He’s a very good in play game adjustment coach and always in the game till the end.

Newton-Conover- they will have the best offensive line in the conference. They will have the best running back in the conference. They will have the best two receivers in the conference. That all means they will finish middle of the conference. Defense wins games.

Lincolnton- New Coach in Joe Glass. Talent is down. Numbers are down from former years. School is in turmoil after the arrest of the principal for sexual relations with at least one male student and nude pictures of 6 school boys. Lincolnton will get new admin leadership which may or may not be athletics inclined. Did not have talent last year to compete. Lack getting kids who were the trench guys and tacklers. I see a couple more wins just in a change of Joe Glass.

Lake Norman- Football is not priority. They play it but it’s low on the list of desires. Expect much the same results. Last place.

This will be a fun conference to watch!!

Well can’t wait till August 1st.  The 7 on 7 season is boring.  So since I haven’t posted in awhile, I decided it is time.  First of all ,  I agree with some statements already posted about this conference. 

North is the clear cut favorite to win the conference. I heard the freshman transferred to Rock Hill.   However, it will not change the fact that they have the most talent in the conference.  

I see Bandys, West Lincoln battling for second.   I think Newton , ELHS , LHS and Maiden will battle for the fourth spot .    Lake Norman Charter will finish last but will be improved.  As a whole, I think this conference will be down.  

Bandy’s  lost there FB, QB which will effect them early on.   However, Bandys  will be strong in the trenches .  Maiden lost McDaniel and Abernathy.  Offensively I wonder who will be getting the ball.  I expect Maiden to have a solid defense. West Lincoln will be better than what some believe.  The Bridges kid will be there best offensive weapon in my opinion.   I expect Newton to improve. In most recent years, Newton was weak on defense.  I heard they graduated a lot of lineman.  Now I haven’t heard a lot out East Lincoln ‘s fan base.  It seems when Byus left , so did East on the message boards. I know offensively, East Lincoln has that receiver named Phinx and the McConnell kid  back. 

LHS will be improved from what I am reading and hearing.  Sounds like the players are buying more under the new leadership.  However for the Wolves there  is no where for them to go but up.  I don’t know anything about Lake Norman Charter except that they have there old coach back.   He actually had them in the playoffs during there time in the old conference back in 2012.   Well that’s my opinion.  I’m sure injuries, new players and players attitudes will determine more. 

21 minutes ago, South Fork fan said:

Well can’t wait till August 1st.  The 7 on 7 season is boring.  So since I haven’t posted in awhile, I decided it is time.  First of all ,  I agree with some statements already posted about this conference. 

North is the clear cut favorite to win the conference. I heard the freshman transferred to Rock Hill.   However, it will not change the fact that they have the most talent in the conference.  

I see Bandys, West Lincoln battling for second.   I think Newton , ELHS , LHS and Maiden will battle for the fourth spot .    Lake Norman Charter will finish last but will be improved.  As a whole, I think this conference will be down.  

Bandy’s  lost there FB, QB which will effect them early on.   However, Bandys  will be strong in the trenches .  Maiden lost McDaniel and Abernathy.  Offensively I wonder who will be getting the ball.  I expect Maiden to have a solid defense. West Lincoln will be better than what some believe.  The Bridges kid will be there best offensive weapon in my opinion.   I expect Newton to improve. In most recent years, Newton was weak on defense.  I heard they graduated a lot of lineman.  Now I haven’t heard a lot out East Lincoln ‘s fan base.  It seems when Byus left , so did East on the message boards. I know offensively, East Lincoln has that receiver named Phinx and the McConnell kid  back. 

LHS will be improved from what I am reading and hearing.  Sounds like the players are buying more under the new leadership.  However for the Wolves there  is no where for them to go but up.  I don’t know anything about Lake Norman Charter except that they have there old coach back.   He actually had them in the playoffs during there time in the old conference back in 2012.   Well that’s my opinion.  I’m sure injuries, new players and players attitudes will determine more. 

I was looking forward to seeing North Lincoln’s freshman run the ball. That’s a shame. 

Me too GDG,  I think North will go possibly to the third round of the playoffs.    So GDG  just wondering, you seem to be in the know about Newton.  Do you expect an improvement or much of the same from the Red Devils?   

22 hours ago, South Fork fan said:

Me too GDG,  I think North will go possibly to the third round of the playoffs.    So GDG  just wondering, you seem to be in the know about Newton.  Do you expect an improvement or much of the same from the Red Devils?   

It is time for Newton to do something for sure I don't think they run the ball enough!!

On 6/28/2019 at 1:21 PM, GDG said:

We are keeping things quiet at East. 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:28 AM, GridIronFan said:

It is time for Newton to do something for sure I don't think they run the ball enough!!

Running the football but also taking time more on offense. Most of time they try and snap the ball extremely fast. Gives the other tram more time. I would like us to sit on the ball a little more and bring a couple more drives. Playing fast means playing more defense which we have not done successfully in many years. 

4 hours ago, NC2B said:

Running the football but also taking time more on offense. Most of time they try and snap the ball extremely fast. Gives the other tram more time. I would like us to sit on the ball a little more and bring a couple more drives. Playing fast means playing more defense which we have not done successfully in many years. 

I seen where they have a 7on 7 game tonight!!

On 7/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Catawba Valley Football said:

Any news on how any of these teams have looked in 7 on 7s so far? Or summer workout numbers?

We have had 7 on 7s with Cox Mill, Draughn, and have Cherryville today I believe. Been busy with work so have not been able to watch. Team has been very active this summer. 

19 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

I seen where they have a 7on 7 game tonight!!

Foard looked bad. Newton was in their element playing 7 on 7s

On 7/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, South Fork fan said:

I only know the abilities of a dozen kids. Have no knowledge of most JV kids moving up. Three really solid no quit linemen, the most talented running back in the conference, and two very solid receivers. No doubt Newton could run the ball. I hope they don’t continue to sling it around. Looked very messy last year with a inexperienced QB. Kid didn’t want to play the position from what I hear and would have been a solid receiver or wing.

The numbers are still low according to a parents count. If they make the playoffs Newton will go down to small 2A. Final year of the Discovery School across the street for participation in sports which puts them less than 800 students. They will have a new DC I was told back in the spring. You have to go back to 2011 or 2012 since the program played average or better defense. Many kids will have to see considerable time on both sides of the ball. The whole season is dependent on the defensive effort. As NC2B stated Newton must maintain drives on the ground and stop the big play attempts. Even cutting the total game plays by a dozen will keep Newton in a lot of games.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NC2B said:

Foard looked bad. Newton was in their element playing 7 on 7s

Newton has a lot better athletes than foard. Is Foard running the spread now? I do not see that fitting their kids. I think they still have that big tailback who ran for a lot of yards last year, not sure why they don’t just give it to him

I know a lot of people are sure Bandys will fall off a lot this year due to the number of kids who played and graduated. Just a reminder that a bunch of those players did not come out for football the previous years. They will be fine.

Lincolnton has a tough two games to start the season. They can’t let a possible two losses derail the season. When Cloninger was coaching he pushed kids thru early losses. Can Joe Glass keep the kids together after defeats? Cramer and South Point have not been friendly to the Wolves of late.

Newton starts the season with a cupcake then has a couple tougher games following. I think the second game against rival Hickory is the real indicator of their success. They travel to Hendersonville in game three then on to Burns. All four games are certainly winnable.

Maiden has to play in county schools as usual so we will not get much indication of their team for awhile. Foard, South Caldwell, St. Stephens, and Bunker Hill.

North Lincoln should start 6-0. No big threats early. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, GDG said:

I know a lot of people are sure Bandys will fall off a lot this year due to the number of kids who played and graduated. Just a reminder that a bunch of those players did not come out for football the previous years. They will be fine.

Lincolnton has a tough two games to start the season. They can’t let a possible two losses derail the season. When Cloninger was coaching he pushed kids thru early losses. Can Joe Glass keep the kids together after defeats? Cramer and South Point have not been friendly to the Wolves of late.

Newton starts the season with a cupcake then has a couple tougher games following. I think the second game against rival Hickory is the real indicator of their success. They travel to Hendersonville in game three then on to Burns. All four games are certainly winnable.

Maiden has to play in county schools as usual so we will not get much indication of their team for awhile. Foard, South Caldwell, St. Stephens, and Bunker Hill.

North Lincoln should start 6-0. No big threats early. 

I heard a rumor from a source this morning that the starting QB from maiden last year may not be returning this season. Does any one know if that is true? If it is true then who will play that position for the Devils?

I heard that Maiden will be starting last season’s JV QB.   Apparently the varsity QB from last season decided back in the spring not to play out his senior season.   Now that is the rumor.   Either way coach Byrnes will have the Blue Devils ready 

I watched the Kings Mountain 7 on 7.   I watched the Draughn and Cherryville one.   IMO we looked pretty good offensively considering the players are learning a new passing system.  The defensive was very competitive.  I heard we looked real good at Concord and then at the one held at West Iredell.  However,  we will know more once we get to scrimmage Cox Mill, East Rutherford and then the Cleveland county jamboree. Either way I’m looking forward to the season. One thing for sure is that Coach Glass has a business approach.   He appears to have high standards for these players.  

Some of Lincolnton's better teams have always had the threat of both the pass and run mixed in going back to the days of Stan Goodson, Brian Moody, Josh Atkins, Zack Gibson, and Cordell Littlejohn. Those QBs had some athletic running backs and receivers. When the Wolves go one dimensional and rely too much on the run usually out of necessity has resulted in some long seasons.

Prediction 

1 North Lincoln- All Nick Bazzle teams are well coach and have discipline. Triple option football is hard to prepare for.

2 bandys- the tom eanes affect has the kids in Catawba drinking the kool aid. Hard offense to stop. 

3 Maiden-  They will always be a top of the league standings. Tradition and pride 

4 Lincolnton- if anyone knows how to get a program back to prominence is Joe Glass. 

5A - West Lincoln- hard nose football and will be well coached. 

5B- Newton-Conover all the athletes in the world but if they won’t tackle and hit and take pride on that side of the ball a 9-2 paper finish will be a 5-6 reality finish. 

6 East Lincoln- still a lot of work to do. 

7 LNC- get this crowd to basketball season! 

81, we scrimmage Shelby at the Jamboree I believe. One thing is for sure, coach Glass is challenging these young men early with this scrimmage schedule. Cox Mill, ER, Shelby, and then start the season with SC and SP. I hope we can make it to opening night fully healthy. 

On 7/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, Trooper1989 said:

Prediction 

1 North Lincoln- All Nick Bazzle teams are well coach and have discipline. Triple option football is hard to prepare for.

2 bandys- the tom eanes affect has the kids in Catawba drinking the kool aid. Hard offense to stop. 

3 Maiden-  They will always be a top of the league standings. Tradition and pride 

4 Lincolnton- if anyone knows how to get a program back to prominence is Joe Glass. 

5A - West Lincoln- hard nose football and will be well coached. 

5B- Newton-Conover all the athletes in the world but if they won’t tackle and hit and take pride on that side of the ball a 9-2 paper finish will be a 5-6 reality finish. 

6 East Lincoln- still a lot of work to do. 

7 LNC- get this crowd to basketball season! 

If N-C had hired Bazzle like almost everyone on the committee wanted we would be having a different conversation this year and last year for that matter. And North Lincoln would have still been low on this list. 

2 hours ago, GDG said:

If N-C had hired Bazzle like almost everyone on the committee wanted we would be having a different conversation this year and last year for that matter. And North Lincoln would have still been low on this list. 

I agree 1000%. There are too many hands in the pot when it comes to N.C. football. Newton won’t be the same until you get rid of some of the folks in control at the top. That’s what happens in a city school system. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, GDG said:

I only know the abilities of a dozen kids. Have no knowledge of most JV kids moving up. Three really solid no quit linemen, the most talented running back in the conference, and two very solid receivers. No doubt Newton could run the ball. I hope they don’t continue to sling it around. Looked very messy last year with a inexperienced QB. Kid didn’t want to play the position from what I hear and would have been a solid receiver or wing.

The numbers are still low according to a parents count. If they make the playoffs Newton will go down to small 2A. Final year of the Discovery School across the street for participation in sports which puts them less than 800 students. They will have a new DC I was told back in the spring. You have to go back to 2011 or 2012 since the program played average or better defense. Many kids will have to see considerable time on both sides of the ball. The whole season is dependent on the defensive effort. As NC2B stated Newton must maintain drives on the ground and stop the big play attempts. Even cutting the total game plays by a dozen will keep Newton in a lot of games.

In the 2017 season, Newton-Conover statistically led the conference on defense in a 9-3 campaign.  They averaged giving up 13 points in the regular season and 16 including the bad loss to Shelby. I personally would at least characterize this as "average or better". This defense was actually Junior heavy, but we all know what happened with the great transfer in the Spring of 2018.  Let's not trash a team or more specifically one side of the ball when we don't actually have all the facts.  You can go look it up on Max Preps.  Also NC's ADM last year was 856(Also easily searchable) and they have a very large freshman class coming in.  I agree that Newton did not play well on defense last year.  They did not tackle well.  I am with you on that point.  I hope that they will improve there and of course show more heart and toughness in every aspect of the game.  I also agree that running the ball is a good idea for them.  They have performed well, over all, in 7on7's by all accounts.  In their first one they defeated Ashbrook, Freedom, and Avery County.  Then they did not perform well at the Draughn 7on7.  While they did defeat Hunter Huss, the eventual overall winner, they took some tough losses to Freedom, St. Stephens, and a few other teams that I can't remember.  I was not able to go to either of these so I am getting this information second hand.  Then they went to Asheville-Erwin, going 4-0-1, they defeated Murphy, Shelby, Asheville-Erwin, Asheville, and tied Chase.  The Foard 7on7 was a route (Foard didn't score at all) and I know they had one more, but I have no idea who that one was against.  Obviously 7on7's are not a great indicator for defense.  As previously stated, tackling and toughness are the concerns.  These are not demonstrated in those contests.  I will say from what I have heard and seen, the QB for Newton is much improved from last season.  

14 hours ago, Lincolnton Wolves 1981 said:

I watched the Wolves last night.   They did well and held there own.  I don’t remember the score.   We will know more about things after this week.  East Rutherford on Wednesday and then the Golden Lions on Friday. 

How did we look up front?