Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Flashback: Tuscola vs. Pisgah rivalry

Rate this topic

We're inching ever closer to the start of the 2019 high school football season, so let this video get the juices flowing as you relive the 2018 Tuscola @ Pisgah rivalry game. 

The number one rivaly game in the state.Bears currently own a six game win streak.Over the years we have had a lot of great coaches,Boyd Allen,Joe Compton,Danny Shook,Carroll Wright,Eddie Renaugh,David Pressley .That being said Brett Chappell is the first Pisgah coach to beat Tuscola six times.This is the only game in the state where the refs. stop the game and reach for their half and half tickets when they draw the winning nimber.It's what high school football is all about.County high school kids going 48 minutes and giving 100% and a packed house on both sides cheering them on.

5 minutes ago, Pisgah Bears said:

The number one rivaly game in the state.

Back in the 80's & 90's, I would have disagreed with you and said that it wasn't close to the level of a Kannapolis vs. Concord game, but I truly believe that this is "The rivalry" game in NC today. 

• Like 1

Part of that, Chris,  is because Tuscola went on a 10 year run in 1978 and won 12 out of 13.  Pisgah won the first 7 and it wasn't until the playoff game of '72 that the Mountaineers won a game. 

The interest in the 50/50 pot is more behind the interest in the game now.  You hear more talk about that than the actual game.  Those folks could care less who wins, they're just hoping to win the money or be at a "happening".

• Thanks 1

I’m hoping sometime in the future to come up the mountains and watch this big event. Out of curiosity what is the biggest 50/50 pot they ever had. 

49 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

21k takehome. 

I thought it was over $23,000 last year.  I don't remember because when they called out the first number we were both pissed off.  At least half went to a great cause, high school sports.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:46 AM, MongolGuru said:

Part of that, Chris,  is because Tuscola went on a 10 year run in 1978 and won 12 out of 13.  Pisgah won the first 7 and it wasn't until the playoff game of '72 that the Mountaineers won a game. 

The interest in the 50/50 pot is more behind the interest in the game now.  You hear more talk about that than the actual game.  Those folks could care less who wins, they're just hoping to win the money or be at a "happening".

If you're from Haywood county or went to either school you care about the game and who wins. The fifty -fifty may draw people from out of the country but the stadium was full when it was Canton and Waynesville and they were no fifty fifty.Back then as today that game drew more fans than any game in the state.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, Pisgah Bears said:

If you're from Haywood county or went to either school you care about the game and who wins. The fifty -fifty may draw people from out of the country but the stadium was full when it was Canton and Waynesville and they were no fifty fifty.Back then as today that game drew more fans than any game in the state.

I'm thinking more of the outside interest.  That is what drives the publicity.  The locals always have cared.   Its like Auburn vs Alabama, a 365 day a year topic.

Hard to believe a county of 60,000 can put 12,000 to 14,000 in the stands but a metro of Charlotte with close to one million cannot put 1500 on the bleachers. If it’s early in the season this year I want to go. 

It looks like Sept 6 at Tuscola this year. After seeing my schedule I will have to work. But next year I’m planning on going. Any advice about how soon I would need to be there. Do they turn away fans because of being over crowded. 

19 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

It looks like Sept 6 at Tuscola this year. After seeing my schedule I will have to work. But next year I’m planning on going. Any advice about how soon I would need to be there. Do they turn away fans because of being over crowded. 

Next year it will be in Canton . Have never had to turn people away but if you don't get there early you will be standing along the sidelines, know last year people were still lined up trying to get tickets after kickoff.The gates opened last year at3:30.

• Like 1

We were there before 5:00 last year and it we had to look for a few minutes for a place for 3 of us to sit together. Its a great game atmosphere. I would suggest anyone who has never been there come and see it. It won't compare, but I'll bet the Smoky game (in Canton) will be a big crowd this year. They are surging, coached by former Pisgah coaches, and its just across the mountain. It was a packed house in Sylva last year and could be the two conference frontrunners again.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 3:28 PM, GDG said:

Hard to believe a county of 60,000 can put 12,000 to 14,000 in the stands but a metro of Charlotte with close to one million cannot put 1500 on the bleachers. If it’s early in the season this year I want to go. 

With the number of schools that Charlotte-Mecklenburg has, are there 10,000 people for each one that truly care enough to show up?  Add in that in a metro area like Charlotte, you have lots of people with no ties to the community- they didn't grow up there, didn't go to school there.  There are plenty of other options to spend one's entertainment dollar in Charlotte.  Then there are the logistics of getting to a 7:30 game with Charlotte traffic.  Lots of variables.

Of course, with I-26 in the shape its in right now, any game south of Asheville is an adventure on Fridays around here.

Meck County schools play home games at 7pm start time which makes it worse.  The reason that was implemented years ago was due to a non adult curfew and games ending late which caused conflicts with the off duty police security which often had to be at another location at 11pm.

I know a family that had three children attend three different high schools that never moved.  One patent from out of the area while the other was moved to his original high school when it was split by a new school opening.  Five schools attended by four people in the house that attended CMS.  Hard to have allegiance or a connection.  

On 6/29/2019 at 3:28 PM, GDG said:

Theres nothing else to do in those small towns on Friday nights but watch high school sports.  The only metro area THESE DAYS I've seen pack a high school game on a consistent basis was Houston Texas, and maybe some here and there in Miami Florida or Metro Detroit Michigan.  Aside from that I haven't seen most cities pack a stadium consistently, I don't even see that in metro Atlanta much unless you go out to the fringes.

• Like 1