Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Who was the best 2A team ever in N.C.

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, fornow said:

One of those Shelby teams that won 4 straight.  2015 or so.

Naw

Take your pick of Reidsville teams to put in the conversation. I guess to be be considered “best ever” you need to be undefeated. Take a look at 2007-2009.  However, I have had some Reidsville folks tell me they think some of the earlier teams that decade (02-03) were better.

HP Central 1999 was impressive on O but I think they were very one dimensional and had a few tight games that season.

1995 Thomasville defense was really strong and the O was not bad.  First team to win 16 in a season!  Same with 1991 although do not think they were as strong or deep on D.  Offense may have been a bit better in 1991.  Long time ago.

I think Shelby’s change to the spread and pass has taken 2A football to another level.  Hard to argue with their success.

That 1993 Lincolnton team was fun to watch. I seen them beat Mooresville both times in the regular season  and the playoffs. That was Mooresville only 2 lost that year. That year Mooresville had beaten teams Concord, Kings Mountain who usually are tough teams play against. Lincolnton was fun to watch especially in their passing game. 

3 hours ago, btango said:

HP Central 1999 was impressive on O but I think they were very one dimensional and had a few tight games that season.

1995 Thomasville defense was really strong and the O was not bad.  First team to win 16 in a season!  Same with 1991 although do not think they were as strong or deep on D.  Offense may have been a bit better in 1991.  Long time ago.

I think Shelby’s change to the spread and pass has taken 2A football to another level.  Hard to argue with their success.

Reidsville took to the spread (2002) before Shelby and the record speaks for itself

• Like 2

I can go away back when the Canton Black Bears were 2-A and won the first state championship in any classification by any team in WNC.In 1956 the Bears finished 12-0 closest game was with Lee Edwards 13-7. Played two playoffs games beat Charlotte Harding 30-7. and won the state championship by beating Washington N.C in Canton 33-6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pisgah Bears said:

I can go away back when the Canton Black Bears were 2-A and won the first state championship in any classification by any team in WNC.In 1956 the Bears finished 12-0 closest game was with Lee Edwards 13-7. Played two playoffs games beat Charlotte Harding 30-7. and won the state championship by beating Washington N.C in Canton 33-6.

Pre mid 1960's there were three classifications with 3A being the largest.

08 Newton Conover 

09, 16 Reidsville 

09,10,11 Tarboro 

12, 14 East Lincoln

15 Monroe 

13, 14, 15, 16 Shelby

I would also list the 94' wolves that lost to WRH in the championship. The 05 group was special as well, but of all my years the 2010 and 2011 teams are right there with the 93 team in terms of overall talent and depth. 

• Like 1

The 2010 and 11 LHS teams were good .   However the 93 team is arguably one of the best teams ever to play in any classification.    94 was great but no Charles Briggs and Tyler Friday.   The 93 team could score at any time on the field.   Whether it was offensively, defensively or special teams.   I would take them against the great Indy teams of Chris Leak

• Like 1

Just now, Lincolnton Wolves 1981 said:

The 2010 and 11 LHS teams were good .   However the 93 team is arguably one of the best teams ever to play in any classification.    94 was great but no Charles Briggs and Tyler Friday.   The 93 team could score at any time on the field.   Whether it was offensively, defensively or special teams.   I would take them against the great Indy teams of Chris Leak

Where would 1993 have an advantage against 2001 or 2002 Indy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

I would also list the 94' wolves that lost to WRH in the championship. The 05 group was special as well, but of all my years the 2010 and 2011 teams are right there with the 93 team in terms of overall talent and depth. 

But you can't be the best ever if you lost the championship or to another 2A school?

• Like 1

I didn't say the 93 team had an advantage over Indy, my point is that this team was athletically talented as some of the great 4-A teams.

I will stated this way, they were the best team of any 2-A state championship teams that I have ever watched.   I have been attending the 2-A game  every year.   I will admit that the Cummings team that beat Shelby with Chuckie Burnette and company might be the next best championship team.  

So you saw the Indy teams Leak’s junior and senior season and then in 2003 and 2004.

5 hours ago, Chopper747 said:

But you can't be the best ever if you lost the championship or to another 2A school?

Speaking in terms of athleticism and talent

20 hours ago, dogs79 said:

Albemarle's year with T A McClendon.

They were 1A starting with the 1999 season (I think).  All of their titles since joint NCHSAA (left WNCHSAA) were 1A.

• Like 1

Shelby 2016

Reidsville 2009

East Lincoln 2014

I base this on modern football offenses. Prior years were great buy built on linemen crushing the opponent and running thru a tight line. 

Lets look back a few years to Sylva Webster. They were 27-0-1 in 72 and 73, back to back state titles. Those teams were loaded on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 1

I saw Sylvia Webster in 1972 demolish a very good South Stanly team in the playoffs 76-7.  The Streater brothers were special.  RIP to both!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btango said:

I saw Sylvia Webster in 1972 demolish a very good South Stanly team in the playoffs 76-7.  The Streater brothers were special.  RIP to both!

Wow. Where’d you come up with that film?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConnerP said:

Wow. Where’d you come up with that film?

Hahaha!  Thank U!

On 6/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, btango said:

They would contend for a title today. Fast, big, athletic and would knock you head off on defense.

5 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

They would contend for a title today. Fast, big, athletic and would knock you head off on defense.

I would like to see their roster.  Looking back at rosters from the 1980’s and back it is shocking how few players weighed 200 plus pounds.  Do you think SW had five players over 200?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, btango said:

I would like to see their roster.  Looking back at rosters from the 1980’s and back it is shocking how few players weighed 200 plus pounds.  Do you think SW had five players over 200?

My personal theory to the size is that 21st century food is alot different. Contributes to the obesity epidemic.  Looking at old videos and photos from the 20th century most people were lean(or leanish),.   Todays food is creating behemoth kids.

• Like 1

Today’s but also the nutrition programs including proteins are a part of it.  The difference in the strength training is huge.  In the 1980’s and back there were a lot fewer single sport athletes that worked on specific football related weight workouts year round.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, btango said:

yeah they did. big offensive and defensive line for the time.

As for size then versus now, i think it has to do with all the hormones and steroids in our meat and milk. Kids are simply bigger today than 30 years ago

21 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

The ‘08 15-1 Newton Conover had a great season. They won the 2A State Championship game over Tarboro 51-28. 

Val, I looked them up when this thread came up.

One major issue with that squad for all time best list.  They won the small 2A.  Lost in conference to Hibriten which lost to Fred T Foard.  Hibriten lost to East Henderson third round.  All of those were basically one TD or less losses.  (Hibriten did get smoked bad by Tuscola non conference).   FTF first round playoff loss in 2AA.  East Henderson falls to East Lincoln which loses to Reidsville next week in state final.  If they played in 2AA think they struggle to make the title game and may be the regional final.

• Like 2

2017 WRH BULLDOGS ! That team had won 3 straight 1aa beating Tarboro mostly in East and won against two great teams in Northeastern and Reidsville for 2a title.

6 hours ago, dogs79 said:

2017 WRH BULLDOGS ! That team had won 3 straight 1aa beating Tarboro mostly in East and won against two great teams in Northeastern and Reidsville for 2a title.

This team has the same issue that Newton Conover does in a best of all time discussion.  Lost close game in conference (East Duplin) and that opponent lost in the 2AA title game to undefeated Hibriten.

To win 1AA three straight and then move up and win 2A with a new coach showed how strong the program is.  Think having East Duplin and Clinton as conference members in the 1A/2A split made the playoffs much easier for them.

A lot of people think 1 loss bears was better than undefeated dolphins.