Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Who was the best 4A team ever in N.C.

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Mallard Creek , Vance , Wake Forest 

Lol were building, I like our young crop of skilled players...if we can get a crop of big guys 2 play the o-line watch out. We def did not have an all time team yet.

• Like 1

2004 Independence 

2002 Independence 

2003 Independence 

2013 Mallard Creek

2012 Butler 

1998 Richmond 

1993 Northern Durham

2010 Butler

1985 Page

2016 Wake Forest 

1988 Richmond 

2009 Butler 

2001 Independence 

1995 West Charlotte 

• Like 1

There have been some instances where the best team of the year didn’t win it all, but were equally dominant and had a bad playoff loss, but these teams, had they finished the deal would still be considered some of the best ever.  

1995 Douglas Byrd

1994 Douglas Byrd

1999 West Charlotte 

1998 West Charlotte 

1996 West Charlotte

1993 West Charlotte 

1991 West Charlotte 

1980 Kannapolis 

2000 Garner 

2001 Laney

1990 West Forsyth 

2011 Mallard Creek 

1995 West Charlotte is probably about the fifth best WC team during the Knotts era.  1996, 1998, 1993, and 1991 would probably be better than the state title team.

2003 Indy probably equal to 2002 squad.  I liked the 2001 team better than those two.  Better O although D was not as good.

2002 Leak has to make things happen.  His running for yards in the title game helped seal it.   Did not have the receivers or running backs the 2001 and 2003 squads had. 

Some teams have dominated even though they were reliant on a single dominant aspect of the game.  

Wake Forest teams have won three straight titles and have had dominant defenses and were able to move the ball fairly well but were nearly 100% reliant on the run.  I have to go with the 2017 team as the best WF team as I thought that was probably their best offense.  They shutout a strong MC squad but I think MC May have had at least three or four squads that were better than their 2017 edition.

43 minutes ago, btango said:

Some teams have dominated even though they were reliant on a single dominant aspect of the game.  

Wake Forest teams have won three straight titles and have had dominant defenses and were able to move the ball fairly well but were nearly 100% reliant on the run.  I have to go with the 2017 team as the best WF team as I thought that was probably their best offense.  They shutout a strong MC squad but I think MC May have had at least three or four squads that were better than their 2017 edition.

Both 16 and 17 Wake teams dynamite on special teams as well.

Mooresville has a had some esp in Late 1990s and Early 2000s under Mike Carter 

Also 2011 Mooresville team is my pick , Top Defense in the State, Went to Semi Finals , Had a Dynamic Offense with a short QB (Debo 1.0) and Thing kill mooresville that year was Debo got hurt in the playoff run  

• Like 1

Actually most of Mike Carter's run at Mooresville was in 2A, they didn't become 3A until the later years. 

1 hour ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Mooresville has a had some esp in Late 1990s and Early 2000s under Mike Carter 

Also 2011 Mooresville team is my pick , Top Defense in the State, Went to Semi Finals , Had a Dynamic Offense with a short QB (Debo 1.0) and Thing kill mooresville that year was Debo got hurt in the playoff run  

You must have the year wrong on the Mville team. 2011  Mallard Creek beat them by 40 points I think.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

2004 Independence 

2002 Independence 

2003 Independence 

2013 Mallard Creek

2012 Butler 

1998 Richmond 

1993 Northern Durham

2010 Butler

1985 Page

2016 Wake Forest 

1988 Richmond 

2009 Butler 

2001 Independence 

1995 West Charlotte 

I would think you would probably have to find room for 2011 Scotland and while they lost a couple early games 2015 Mallard Creek went on the road for 3 straight playoff games and won and then mauled a good Page team.

3 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

There have been some instances where the best team of the year didn’t win it all, but were equally dominant and had a bad playoff loss, but these teams, had they finished the deal would still be considered some of the best ever.  

1995 Douglas Byrd

1994 Douglas Byrd

1999 West Charlotte 

1998 West Charlotte 

1996 West Charlotte

1993 West Charlotte 

1991 West Charlotte 

1980 Kannapolis 

2000 Garner 

2001 Laney

1990 West Forsyth 

2011 Mallard Creek 

Injuries and an absolute terrible weather day really hurt the 2013 Scotland team when they lost to Dudley

3 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

I would think you would probably have to find room for 2011 Scotland and while they lost a couple early games 2015 Mallard Creek went on the road for 3 straight playoff games and won and then mauled a good Page team.

I concur, you are correct. 

2 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Injuries and an absolute terrible weather day really hurt the 2013 Scotland team when they lost to Dudley

One of the sloppiest state title game I've seen.  Carter Finley Stadium was almost unplayable, but that's to take nothing away from Dudley, because they brought the physical run right at the Scotland defense and pounded them.  They ran the ball like men that night. 

1993 Northern Durham has always been near the top of my list.  They were arguably the second best team in the east for about the last ten years Ken Browning was there.

2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Actually most of Mike Carter's run at Mooresville was in 2A, they didn't become 3A until the later years. 

Correct.  Mooresville went 3A in 1999 which was close to the end of the Carter era.

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

One of the sloppiest state title game I've seen.  Carter Finley Stadium was almost unplayable, but that's to take nothing away from Dudley, because they brought the physical run right at the Scotland defense and pounded them.  They ran the ball like men that night. 

If I remember correctly Scotland was banged up coming in and then lost their LT in the first couple of plays. Dudley was built to play smash mouth in that weather. Scotland liked to throw it around some and it was impossible on that day. It would have been a great game on a decent day. 

1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

If I remember correctly Scotland was banged up coming in and then lost their LT in the first couple of plays. Dudley was built to play smash mouth in that weather. Scotland liked to throw it around some and it was impossible on that day. It would have been a great game on a decent day. 

Tackle broke his ankle on one of the first drives.  Big, strong fella.

Scotland was about the QB having options including passing and the first half of that game was absolutely terrible weather conditions.  Thought the field did good considering three games that day.

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Scotland 2011 was impressive but I think I would have went with Page that day.  Believe it would have been a fight to the end.

PR had the ball going in for a TD to tie and the back fumbled the ball.  Gets kicked out to about the 25 and Scotland recovers.  They needed that momentum and it flipped.  I was surprised PR gave them a tit for tat game u til that point.  Size just wire them down.

2 hours ago, Wrigley said:

you can't possibly fit in Scotland, in 2011 there were 2 teams i could count that many people think were better

4 minutes ago, JJ Barile said:

you can't possibly fit in Scotland, in 2011 there were 2 teams i could count that many people think were better

They would have met teams that matched them athletically and physically in Page, Butler, and Mallard Creek which I would favor in close games.  Butler could really get it down field in the air which may have caused them some issues, also.  I thought Scotland and Garner would have been about even.

56 minutes ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Mooresville went 3A in 97. They lost in the 1st Round to Concord 42-28. Carter last season was 2002.

You are right on 1997.  My alignment years are getting confused in old age.

8 hours ago, Wrigley said:

You must have the year wrong on the Mville team. 2011  Mallard Creek beat them by 40 points I think.

One game doesn't define a Season! also MC was our worst game that year, We won almost every pretty good! Mooresville D that year was full of talent n THEY HIT HARD! we have not seen a physical hard hitter Defense in past few season since 2011 IMO! also we went 12-2 in 2011 n Lost to Porter Ridge in the Semi Finals! 

2 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

One game doesn't define a Season! 

Mooresville gave up over 17 points a game that season.  Six teams scored three or more TDs including 45, 35, and 34.

18 minutes ago, btango said:

Mooresville gave up over 17 points a game that season.  Six teams scored three or more TDs including 45, 35, and 34.

we scored 440-270 and https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/mooresville-blue-devils-(mooresville,nc)/football-fall-11/schedule.htm 

and even on CP page  420-263! and We got screwed at Burns so ASK any Mooresville fan - MC in 2011 was one of the best teams in NC and with PR we lost by 1 TD and We didnt have our Starting QB https://carolinapreps.com/teams/frontend/teampage/seasonSchedule/182/2011 and also we score 30+ pts in 7 games 

8 hours ago, btango said:

They would have met teams that matched them athletically and physically in Page, Butler, and Mallard Creek which I would favor in close games.  Butler could really get it down field in the air which may have caused them some issues, also.  I thought Scotland and Garner would have been about even.

WOW, Scots get no love!!!!

14 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

1995 Douglas Byrd

1994 Douglas Byrd

1999 West Charlotte 

1998 West Charlotte 

1996 West Charlotte

1993 West Charlotte 

1991 West Charlotte 

1980 Kannapolis 

2000 Garner 

2001 Laney

1990 West Forsyth 

2011 Mallard Creek 

2003 Richmond was DEEP. 

“Wide left” against Indy. Best game I’ve been to in my life. Memorial Stadium was practically sold out. And this was the original Memorial, too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

One game doesn't define a Season! also MC was our worst game that year, We won almost every pretty good! Mooresville D that year was full of talent n THEY HIT HARD! we have not seen a physical hard hitter Defense in past few season since 2011 IMO! also we went 12-2 in 2011 n Lost to Porter Ridge in the Semi Finals! 

I understand that you are Johnny Blue Devil and I love the passion. However, the title of the thread is best EVER.

They lost 3 games in 2011 one by 42 points, one to a 3a team and then to a good but certainly not great Porter Ridge team. The I Meck was terrible back then.

Maybe you were thinking best ever Mooresville team?? There were a minimum of 10-12 teams that would have beat Mville that year.

ND 1993 is tops on my list. Some of the Indy teams and MC teams were good no doubt. Richmond 98 was really good too. These Wake Forest teams are undervalued in debates like this. Really think they are becoming or currently are a dynasty with their style of play.

2004 Indy. Were not challenged and dominated even on off nights. Closest game by far was 4 TD win late in playoffs. 

2009 Butler was pretty good too. The Wake teams of the past few years are impressive as well.