Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Who was the best 4A team ever in N.C.

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

One of the sloppiest state title game I've seen.  Carter Finley Stadium was almost unplayable, but that's to take nothing away from Dudley, because they brought the physical run right at the Scotland defense and pounded them.  They ran the ball like men that night. 

If I remember correctly Scotland was banged up coming in and then lost their LT in the first couple of plays. Dudley was built to play smash mouth in that weather. Scotland liked to throw it around some and it was impossible on that day. It would have been a great game on a decent day. 

1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

If I remember correctly Scotland was banged up coming in and then lost their LT in the first couple of plays. Dudley was built to play smash mouth in that weather. Scotland liked to throw it around some and it was impossible on that day. It would have been a great game on a decent day. 

Tackle broke his ankle on one of the first drives.  Big, strong fella.

Scotland was about the QB having options including passing and the first half of that game was absolutely terrible weather conditions.  Thought the field did good considering three games that day.

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

I would think you would probably have to find room for 2011 Scotland and while they lost a couple early games 2015 Mallard Creek went on the road for 3 straight playoff games and won and then mauled a good Page team.

Scotland 2011 was impressive but I think I would have went with Page that day.  Believe it would have been a fight to the end.

PR had the ball going in for a TD to tie and the back fumbled the ball.  Gets kicked out to about the 25 and Scotland recovers.  They needed that momentum and it flipped.  I was surprised PR gave them a tit for tat game u til that point.  Size just wire them down.

2 hours ago, Wrigley said:

I would think you would probably have to find room for 2011 Scotland and while they lost a couple early games 2015 Mallard Creek went on the road for 3 straight playoff games and won and then mauled a good Page team.

you can't possibly fit in Scotland, in 2011 there were 2 teams i could count that many people think were better

4 minutes ago, JJ Barile said:

you can't possibly fit in Scotland, in 2011 there were 2 teams i could count that many people think were better

They would have met teams that matched them athletically and physically in Page, Butler, and Mallard Creek which I would favor in close games.  Butler could really get it down field in the air which may have caused them some issues, also.  I thought Scotland and Garner would have been about even.

56 minutes ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Mooresville went 3A in 97. They lost in the 1st Round to Concord 42-28. Carter last season was 2002.

You are right on 1997.  My alignment years are getting confused in old age.

8 hours ago, Wrigley said:

You must have the year wrong on the Mville team. 2011  Mallard Creek beat them by 40 points I think.

One game doesn't define a Season! also MC was our worst game that year, We won almost every pretty good! Mooresville D that year was full of talent n THEY HIT HARD! we have not seen a physical hard hitter Defense in past few season since 2011 IMO! also we went 12-2 in 2011 n Lost to Porter Ridge in the Semi Finals! 

2 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

One game doesn't define a Season! 

Mooresville gave up over 17 points a game that season.  Six teams scored three or more TDs including 45, 35, and 34.

18 minutes ago, btango said:

Mooresville gave up over 17 points a game that season.  Six teams scored three or more TDs including 45, 35, and 34.

we scored 440-270 and https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/mooresville-blue-devils-(mooresville,nc)/football-fall-11/schedule.htm 

and even on CP page  420-263! and We got screwed at Burns so ASK any Mooresville fan - MC in 2011 was one of the best teams in NC and with PR we lost by 1 TD and We didnt have our Starting QB https://carolinapreps.com/teams/frontend/teampage/seasonSchedule/182/2011 and also we score 30+ pts in 7 games 

8 hours ago, btango said:

They would have met teams that matched them athletically and physically in Page, Butler, and Mallard Creek which I would favor in close games.  Butler could really get it down field in the air which may have caused them some issues, also.  I thought Scotland and Garner would have been about even.

WOW, Scots get no love!!!!

14 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

There have been some instances where the best team of the year didn’t win it all, but were equally dominant and had a bad playoff loss, but these teams, had they finished the deal would still be considered some of the best ever.  

1995 Douglas Byrd

1994 Douglas Byrd

1999 West Charlotte 

1998 West Charlotte 

1996 West Charlotte

1993 West Charlotte 

1991 West Charlotte 

1980 Kannapolis 

2000 Garner 

2001 Laney

1990 West Forsyth 

2011 Mallard Creek 

2003 Richmond was DEEP. 

“Wide left” against Indy. Best game I’ve been to in my life. Memorial Stadium was practically sold out. And this was the original Memorial, too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

One game doesn't define a Season! also MC was our worst game that year, We won almost every pretty good! Mooresville D that year was full of talent n THEY HIT HARD! we have not seen a physical hard hitter Defense in past few season since 2011 IMO! also we went 12-2 in 2011 n Lost to Porter Ridge in the Semi Finals! 

I understand that you are Johnny Blue Devil and I love the passion. However, the title of the thread is best EVER.

They lost 3 games in 2011 one by 42 points, one to a 3a team and then to a good but certainly not great Porter Ridge team. The I Meck was terrible back then.

Maybe you were thinking best ever Mooresville team?? There were a minimum of 10-12 teams that would have beat Mville that year.

ND 1993 is tops on my list. Some of the Indy teams and MC teams were good no doubt. Richmond 98 was really good too. These Wake Forest teams are undervalued in debates like this. Really think they are becoming or currently are a dynasty with their style of play.

2004 Indy. Were not challenged and dominated even on off nights. Closest game by far was 4 TD win late in playoffs. 

2009 Butler was pretty good too. The Wake teams of the past few years are impressive as well. 

10 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

we scored 440-270 and https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/mooresville-blue-devils-(mooresville,nc)/football-fall-11/schedule.htm 

and even on CP page  420-263! and We got screwed at Burns so ASK any Mooresville fan - MC in 2011 was one of the best teams in NC and with PR we lost by 1 TD and We didnt have our Starting QB https://carolinapreps.com/teams/frontend/teampage/seasonSchedule/182/2011 and also we score 30+ pts in 7 games 

My response was strictly to your statement that Mooresville had the best defense in the state.  

19 hours ago, Wrigley said:

You must have the year wrong on the Mville team. 2011  Mallard Creek beat them by 40 points I think.

If we are talking purely based on d1 talent then no we don’t compare. You’d probably have to go back to the days of when Corey Alexander played for us.

But that 2011 was our best chance to win state and probably will be for a while. We weren’t flashy on either side of the ball, especially offense.. but our QB ran the 40 in a sub 4.3 40... he was an asset in the read option game. Our defense that year was possibly a top 2 or 3 defense all time in our program. Sure Mallard Creek won big... but are we forgetting it was 24-3 in the middle of the 4th qtr when we gave up a punt/kick return for a score and a pick 6 the next series. Our defense was definitely worthy of being in the conversation... offense not so much 

I actually remember that Mallard Creek game well... we were so one dimensional one offense of a team stopped our read option offense we were toast. I think we punted or turned the ball over on all 7 or 8 offensive possessions in the second half of that game. Lol. But despite that I still would say on the defensive side we had a shot in small 4A. Emphasis on “a shot”. Scotland was very strong that year

40 minutes ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

I actually remember that Mallard Creek game well... we were so one dimensional one offense of a team stopped our read option offense we were toast. I think we punted or turned the ball over on all 7 or 8 offensive possessions in the second half of that game. Lol. But despite that I still would say on the defensive side we had a shot in small 4A. Emphasis on “a shot”. Scotland was very strong that year

I'm lost are we talking about best teams in NC ever or the best teams each school had??

1 hour ago, 704cougarsdad said:

I'm lost are we talking about best teams in NC ever or the best teams each school had??

That’s a good question lol. Someone else brought up the 2011 Mooresville team- I only just saw it and was making my case for that team because I genuinely feel like they had a real shot to win state with that defense they had that year😂.

because if we’re talking best ever (from a D1 recruit/talent standpoint) then that team isn’t in that category. 

1 hour ago, 704cougarsdad said:

It was intended to be the best team ever in NC for 4A.  Original post was placed in each classification.

• Thanks 1

NO offense but why is Mooresville 2011 even being mentioned in this conversation? Didn;t they get run in multiple games in the regular season? EVen losing to Porter Ridge? I'd say Scotland 2011 needs more mention and Mooresville removed from convo just for that year alone. 

7 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

NO offense but why is Mooresville 2011 even being mentioned in this conversation? Didn;t they get run in multiple games in the regular season? EVen losing to Porter Ridge?

No... only game we “got run” in was Mallard Creek and that was a lot of late self inflicted damage in the 4th... was 24-3 mod 4th, ended up 45-3 I think. You could say looking at the score Burns took it to us... but that wouldn’t be accurate. That night was all messed up from the start.... I don’t think that game ended until like midnight or even a little later (and we won’t get started on the screw job we got in that game lol). 2011 was the year we shut out Hough on their homecoming and held them to negative offensive yardage. That was a fun night lol

Other than that we wont every other game, most of them comfortably. Took porter ridge to the limit with our back up QB... I still contend we were a better team than PR just got off to a really slow start. 

Burns had an excellent team in 2011.  Teams mentioned as "all time great" in state history do not lose by 21 points to a smaller classification school regardless how bad the screw job was. 

11 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

NO offense but why is Mooresville 2011 even being mentioned in this conversation? Didn;t they get run in multiple games in the regular season? EVen losing to Porter Ridge?

No... only game we “got run” in was Mallard Creek and that was a lot of late self inflicted damage in the 4th... was 24-3 mod 4th, ended up 45-3 I think. You could say looking at the score Burns took it to us... but that wouldn’t be accurate. That night was all messed up from the start.... I don’t think that game ended until like midnight or even a little later (and we won’t get started on the screw job we got in that game lol). 

Other than that we wont every other game, most of them comfortably. Took porter ridge to the limit with our back up QB... I still contend we were a better team than PR just got off to a really slow start.