Vik-Val 86

Who was the best 3A team ever in N.C.

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Hickory 1996

Hard to not always consider them in the discussion.

5 hours ago, WiseOne88 said:

2007 Western Alamance team was pretty tough 

They beat Dudley in the conference and both won the 3A sub titles.  

I would have like to seen the 1996 Hickory team play against 2003 South Point. South Point piled up the points that year winning their State Title. Hickory had won over Ragsdale 42-0 in their State Championship game in 96. That would have been a running clock in today’s game. 

I had read an article of the 1996 Hickory team. The coach was David Elder. He also coached the 1998-99 girls basketball team and they had an unbeaten record at 32–0 and won  the State title. But getting back to the football team they scored 767 points and gave up 99 in the ‘96 season. That would be an average of 51.1 points scored a game and would give up 6.6 points per game. They outrushed their opponents 5833 to 1532. 

2 hours ago, Chopper747 said:

Cummings 88?

Impressive team but a lot of close games.  Won five games by a TD or less.  In the pre subdividing era the playoffs got real from usually the first round but definitely the second.  Not many give me games back then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

Is that the same Hickory team that got waxed by Concord the following year??

I was at that game. I watch Concord beat  Mooresville first rd then Concord came to Hickory 2nd rd and won that one  28-14. Then I watch Concord play AL Brown in the 3rd. Al Brown won that one 9-0. But I believe Hickory lost some good quality players from the year before. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I was at that game. I watch Concord beat  Mooresville first rd then Concord came to Hickory 2nd rd and won that one  28-14. Then I watch Concord play AL Brown in the 3rd. Al Brown won that one 9-0. But I believe Hickory lost some good quality players from the year before. 

Coach Smith tells a great story from taking his Spiders up there to face the defending state champions and knocking them off. 

• Like 1

1997 was a special year for me of watching High school football. Good talented players that year. As mentioned above I saw Concord knock off a good talented Mooresville team who had Corey Alexander on the team. Then Concord knocked off a good Hickory team. Then AL Brown with Nick Maddox  beating Concord 9-0. Then I went and watched Shelby play at Bandys in the 4th rd of 2A class. A lot of good games that year. 

Vik, I was at those Concord games when I lived in Concord and coached at MP. Coach Smith and Coach Fleming were good friends of mine. I taught Z Smith Drivers Education and Coach Fleming and I taught DE together.

• Like 1

1997 seem like the year of the RB’s. With Nick Maddox  of AL Brown, Corey Alexander of Mooresville, and if I’m not mistaken Chris Douglas of Bandys who went to Duke. And Concord had a good RB but can’t remember his name. Then some other good ones. 

32 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

1997 seem like the year of the RB’s. With Nick Maddox  of AL Brown, Corey Alexander of Mooresville, and if I’m not mistaken Chris Douglas of Bandys who went to Duke. And Concord had a good RB but can’t remember his name. Then some other good ones. 

The Concord RB was Jamie Scott.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Brevard 1982 all of their videos of that season are on YouTube.

Tarboro 1984. 

Burlington Cummings 1988, 1990

Burlington Williams 1980, 1981, 1985

Brevard won their four playoff games by a total of thirty points.  Scored twice and gave up in TD each game.  Nearly identical scores.  Four rounds of smash mouth football.  Every game matched good squads.  Very rarely a losing record in 2A and 3A playoffs.  A lot of undefeated and one loss or two loss teams matched up the first two rounds.

• Like 1

Catholic 2017 and 2018 were both dominant teams. 

2017 Catholic’s closest game was with Charlotte Christian who would’ve beaten most 3A teams that year. Catholic hammered Weddington twice, hung 56 on a 10-0 Marvin Ridge team at their place. Then ran through the playoffs holding Havelock who was scoring well over 50 a game to just 14 in the title game. Total dominance. 

2018 has less of a case due to losing the first game to Christian, but they shutout Weddington 20-0 and held the Warriors to -9 yards rushing. That includes yards Shipley gained. Generational type defense. Shutting out a solid Monroe team in the playoffs. Holding an undefeated Hunter Huss team to just 7 points at their place and hammering Kings Mountain in the regional final. Got a great test from Jacksonville, but came through shutting out the Cards in the second half. 

Never saw 96 Hickory or any of the Cumming’s teams so cannot comment on if they’re the best. Just stating that these last two CC teams are a couple of the best. 

• Like 1

May have missed it but surprised nobody has said 2012 Northern Guilford. Averaged about 50 a game in the playoffs. I think TJ Logan just scored again....lol, 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 84k said:

The Concord RB was Jamie Scott.

Played at Wake Forest.  Looked like a promising career but did not follow them much.

This team may have not been the best ever  3A team in history of N.C. but thought it would be worthy to bring up West Rowan. With a 46 straight game winning streak the Falcons won from their 3rd game of 2008 to the end of 2010 without a loss. Kevin Parks played in the 08-09 State 3A Championship game. West Rowan won 3 straight State 3A Championship games from 08-10 and lost in the State Finals in 2011. 

Davie County beat West Rowan which then ran the table the remainder of the season and the next two.  Davie lost the next week to Thomasville. T-ville was u defeated state champion that year in 2A.

• Like 1

Probably one of the best games I seen West Rowan played in was the 2010 season when they played Hibriten in the playoffs. Talking about a slugfest. WR just did pull it out 20-14. That same year I believe Hibriten lost to Butler early in the season 35-28. I did watch WR play some in the playoffs one was when they beat South Point 35-7 and another when they played against Waynesville Tuscola. That was a good one. And of course the Hibriten game as well. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, Glenn said:

Vik, I was at those Concord games when I lived in Concord and coached at MP. Coach Smith and Coach Fleming were good friends of mine. I taught Z Smith Drivers Education and Coach Fleming and I taught DE together.

MP as in Mount Pleasant or Myers Park

58 minutes ago, Chopper747 said:

MP as in Mount Pleasant or Myers Park

To answer for Coach, that would be the Mt Pleasant Tigers!

• Like 2

We played the No. 1 3A team in the east in 2008. Harnett central was undefeated and was averaging over 40 points a game while only giving up an average of 6 points a game. We played them at their place. This was perhaps the coldest game I have ever been atThey were so huge that the field tilted on their end during warm ups. All the coach wanted to know was how good Dudley was. They completely overlooked us. We won the game 49-28.  WE beat a very good N. Vance team the next week 7-6. We picked up a fumbpe and ran it in from 60 yards out and kicked the XP. Their starting QB and TB went out of the game in the first half and did not return. I think they both had broken bones. Had that not happened I am not so sure we would have won the game. The next week Dudley beat us like a Rented Mule. Dudley beat Kannapolis Brown as bad without passing the ball a single time. That Dudley team (as well as several others) has to get a vote. They were beyond awesome that year.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:46 PM, Vik-Val 86 said:

I would have like to seen the 1996 Hickory team play against 2003 South Point. South Point piled up the points that year winning their State Title. Hickory had won over Ragsdale 42-0 in their State Championship game in 96. That would have been a running clock in today’s game. 

I think this is my dream game as well..... SP in 2003 was loaded and to many are the best SP team to date. Weapons everywhere...... 

• Like 1