Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

7 on 7

I think it want be much longer when these  7 on 7 starts. I realize that it’s only fake football. Does anyone know the history of this when and how it started. I don’t ever remember of having any of these when I was in school. Would one say that having these 7 on 7 help improve teams vs if they didn’t have any. I could see that it would help QB to get in some rep. 

7 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I realize that it’s only fake football. 

Hey, that's my line!😂

There will be a big one this Saturday at 9:30 am at West Forsyth with a bunch of good teams.  I'll be there.  Teams I know are attending are West Forsyth, East Forsyth, NW Guilford, Western Guilford, SW Guilford, West Rowan, Statesville, and I know there are more, just don't remember them all. 

• Like 1

It's just reps and glorified practice. But it can also be good for developing talent and coaching especially with quarterbacks and receivers. it kinda started in the mid to late 2000s when instead of a school playing against just one other team in a head to head 7on7 practice session, they would invite 3 schools to make a day of it and over the years people started making tournament style meet ups. Eastern Guilford has had one with the Holt brothers for many years now. I know the one at Elon every year also has a lineman camp at the same time as the 7on7 round robin style.

Nowadays youve got so many national and regional tournies with amazing facilities, of course people are going to utilize that. 🙂

• Like 1

The Holt Brothers had a youth camp on a Sunday until 2-3 years ago.It no longer exists. It was not a 7 on 7 event. This is my 7th year at EG and they have not had a 7 on 7 event during that time. Perhaps before I got there they did. They still sponsor a Sat. camp at NCSU for HS kids.

If it is run the right way it is beneficial. I like the way WF use to run their event. A stop watch was used and the QB had 4 sec. to get rid of the ball. If he went over the 4 sec. and the pass was completed it was not counted as a completion. Too many do not use a time and I have seen QBs take 6-8 seconds to throw the ball and the pass was counted. Being a defensive guy I would like to see the defense being able to use two Defensive Ends and after 3 seconds they go get (touch) the QB. One major complaint is that teams are allowed to run defenses designed specifically for use in a 7 on 7 without any regard for defending the run. I would like to see the rule that you had to run at least one running play out of every four plays. That would stop those unrealistic defenses designed to stop the pass. We run what we run during the season. We are trying to improve our defense and do not care about winning a 7 on 7 tournament. One of the worse 7 on 7 events I ever attended was the one we went to several years back at Rock Hill, SC. It was very unorganized. Two of us had to be there an hour early to go over the procedures and rules. Most of the time was taken up by the officials who were hearing the rules for the first time. It was illegal for a defender to touch a receiver. That took us right out of what we do which was get your hands on the receiver. Not being allowed to touch them is unrealistic and is not what happens in a game. Another 7 on 7 at UNC became a cluster when a team from Ohio showed up without helmets. Because of them nobody was allowed to wear helmets. All I could foresee was a lawsuit when two heads collided unprotected and a concussion occurred or a kid got his teeth knocked out.  I tried to talk our HC in putting our kids on the bus and going back home, but he stayed. Fortunately nothing catastrophic happened. That was the summer UNC fired Butch Davis. He gave a great pep talk to the kids and then two weeks later he was gone.

• Like 1

I think that that was the last one they sponsored. Tory is coaching at Heritage HS  down around the town of Wake Forest. Not sure what Terrance is doing.