Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Bowles leaving Providence

Rate this topic

I'm not sure if they have someone on staff who is qualified to take the head coaching position, but that would probably be the best case scenario for the school, but I know that Charlotte has a handful of very good teacher/coaches that would be a good fit, but the question is, who wants to take over a program already in the summer?  My first thought would be to look at Mark Harman who is a coordinator at Myers Park, and was in the running for the South Meck job. 

I'm just curious? Players and their families get ripped for transferring for better opportunities every day. Called selfish,  only worried about themselves, entitled.

South Meck administration takes a ton of heat for terminating a guy late in the year. A coach who had never won a single playoff game in 10 years of coaching.

Both Brand and Bowles quit after the White firing. When can I expect the coaches to line up and trash these guys?? Right now all I see on social media is back slapping and congratulations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

I'm just curious? Players and their families get ripped for transferring for better opportunities every day. Called selfish,  only worried about themselves, entitled.

South Meck administration takes a ton of heat for terminating a guy late in the year. A coach who had never won a single playoff game in 10 years of coaching.

Both Brand and Bowles quit after the White firing. When can I expect the coaches to line up and trash these guys?? Right now all I see on social media is back slapping and congratulations?

Exactly.....it mirrors the College game narrative with Coaches jumping but if a kid enters the portal they are selfish. Its restricted free agency for the athletes but unrestricted free agency for the Coaches. 

I've never been one to criticize coaches for trying to make their situations better for their families, or try to position themselves to further their professional careers.  Lets not forget that money is the driving factor, or lack thereof in my instances here in North Carolina, and for a coach to take an opportunity to better his family, I'm all for it.  Now I''ll be the first to admit that the timing in this sucks, and yes, the players are the ones who lose, but guess what, I've seen in the old days where players wouldn't even know who their coach may been until the first day of practice, so this isn't unprecedented by any means.

As for players up and moving, I am not a fan, but I get it, and as long as it is within the rules, I am in 100% support of it.  The NCHSAA made it possible last year for players to transfer more easily, and as long as they are doing it the right way, without too much influence from the new school, then more power to them.  I am a parent, and I know that I would do what I could to put my kids in the best position to succeed, and if that meant picking up and moving to a new school, then that's what I'd do. 

Zero issue with coaches making moves in their best interest. However,  the hypocrisy is unreal. Some of these big name kids transfer and I see them trashed on social media, many times by coaches. Then these guys cut and run for a pay check and all I see his " that a boy", " you keep grinding my brother" bullshit.

When Langston posted his article on Rocky the outrage was laughable. Tons of the coaching fraternity rushing to his defense,. " How could the SM principal and AD do such a thing to the kids and coaches this late in the year". One local CMS coach said" they don't care about the kids".

I just want to know when we will see the same outcry??

Wrigley, TBH its a slave mentality. Not trying to invoke race at all. But its a mentality of the coach knows best and that the coach has these players as their possessions. If the possessions get out of line the coach can let them go, but if a player leaves on his on the player is selfish. Coach leaves its for a better opportunity. The coach has an expanded life in the business whereas a player only gets 4 years. So parents and players must do whats best for them. The problem comes in when there are outside influences on players to leave certain schools and go to others. Also a player can be labeled as being bad or a malcontent, but never a coach. From personal experience if you get stuck in a bad situation with a coach its very hard to "work" your way out or get on the coaches good side. The player is stuck. Then you have some great coaches that motivate all their players and players will run through walls for them so players flock to them.

You have services that "rank" players routinely or judge them. If the same standard was applied to coaches what grades would some of these coaches get? My point is just the word coach gets a lot of horrible coaches more leeway and authority over the players just by definition no matter the level or experience of the coach.

Bottom line is this. Its a selfish business on both sides, but coaches fair much better long term. It hurts a coach when players leave because its an indictment on them in many ways that they dont want to accept.

• Thanks 1

Reread my post. Want to change slave to an authoritative relationship. Its the same with good and bad pastors leading flocks, CEOs over companies. etc etc. The one at the top never gets the same amount of criticism the ones at the bottom do. A bad pastor can cheat on his wife, beat his kids, but because he is pastor he is given more forgiveness. If the deacon or usher do the same thing they are ostracized and talked about. The issue is the foundation of the system is overturned when too many players/workers/members revolt so good leadership is key. 

52 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Reread my post. Want to change slave to an authoritative relationship. Its the same with good and bad pastors leading flocks, CEOs over companies. etc etc. The one at the top never gets the same amount of criticism the ones at the bottom do. A bad pastor can cheat on his wife, beat his kids, but because he is pastor he is given more forgiveness. If the deacon or usher do the same thing they are ostracized and talked about. The issue is the foundation of the system is overturned when too many players/workers/members revolt so good leadership is key. 

Sadly, you are 100% spot on in your characterization of how coaches are graded and assessed by people. (And I’ll be man enough to list myself in that group; because those who are proven successes, time and again certainly get more leeway when they face hard times or make dumb decisions.)

• Thanks 2

Interesting topic. I know how much coaches get paid in good ole NC, and if you have a chance to improve that you gotta go. Timing sucks for everyone involved but in the long run you do what is best for your family. Now, same goes for the players who leave for what they view is a better opportunity. It sucks for the other players and coaches who may count on them, but they gotta do what they think is best for them. The days of sticking around for the TEAM is over. People really only care about themselves. Trashing players online for leaving is total BS and a rookie ego trip by coaches who do that. And there are too many of them. I hate 7 on 7 where coaches are talking junk to other team, sticking their chest out when they "win" like they did something. It's a different time now then it was when I started coaching 20 years ago.

• Like 3

Steelers exactly. Its really become selfish on both sides with everyone looking for the best opportunity for themselves. The overall team/community concept has been eroded. This just doesn't apply to sports, but work, life, church, and personal relationships. As we become more and more individualistic as a society it will reflect in sports more and more. But the key difference is most sports are built for team effort and working together. Really dont want to see the state of HS football in 20 years or so. will be interesting. 

Another thing that gets lost is coaching ethics at the youth level. Growing up coaches were more of value teachers vs. win/loss types. Now take my sons AAU team for example. We have had a group of 7-9 guys play the entire season and work hard. Pay fees, practice, trainers etc etc etc. Now that is time for nationals we have other players just show up for the nationals at the request of the coach. Hired guns so to speak. So the kids that have worked all year, practiced and gave their all are out and on the bench for the new guys. How can that coach teach work hard, do your best and you will be rewarded to the players? Or is he teaching the best man plays regardless of what you have done previously? Just think with the proliferation of travel teams, 7v7, AAU, win at all cost, and devaluation of practice we have lost the fundamental aspect of coaching which is to build the player and build their character. The definition of coach used to mean teacher. So when these same youth ball players get older and they perceive a slight or injustice they are ready to leave just based on experiences they had at the youth level. This transfer/coach issue starts very early in most player's lives even before middle school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a different perspective. A coaching perspective.  it all depends on why kids change schools. I have no issues when a family moves for the player to transfer to another school. I will call the HC at his new school to give him the low down on his new player. It seems that in today's society that parents have the impression that their kids are better than they actually are so they will move them because they do not think that they are getting a fair shot. The fact may be that their kid may actually not want to compete for the position. In many cases the kid may not want to move but has no option. As long as the family relocates I have no problem with that. I have also dealt with parents shopping their kids with the parent wanting you to make them promises as to playing time, etc. When you show them the door they take them elsewhere. Or they try to tell you that they (a soph are a better DB than a certain kid who is a senior starter (who ends up starting for 4 years at a major college). Because he is not willing for his kid to pay the price, wait his turn and work for what he gets. I have actually seen kids change schools because they are non starters at one position be given the opportunity to start at another position but they are not willing to do that. They don't see the need for their kid to earn the position.  Some times these same parents as well as the players will see you years later and admit that they made a mistake in leaving. The grass is not always greener on the other side. While these examples I have presented are few and far between they stick out in my mind. It seems that  the vast majority of them have occurred in the past 20 years. The majority of parents and kids do not fall in those examples. Most parents and kids realize that they are never going to earn a FB scholarship or be an NFL player. Just like the NCAA commercial says, "Most Kids  Will Go Pro In Something Other Than Pro Sports". Hopefully they have been pros in the classroom. It is sad when I see great players like the kid in Albemarle and NCSU end up never making it in anything. Instead they end up in jail. Sad. Sorry to go on and on but this is a huge subject with me.

• Thanks 1

You can only Coach the players on your program. If they leave, wish them well and keep it moving.  The End! :)

• Like 1