Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Darrell Brewer named Head Coach at McDowell

Rate this topic

Apologize for getting this out there after everyone’s bed time...but the McDowell County Board of Education approves former Avery County coach Darrell Brewer as the new head coach at McDowell. 

https://www.mcdowellnews.com/news/school-board-confirms-new-titan-head-coach/article_7e262c6a-8bf3-11e9-b458-af7c0c12119e.html

Expect a more detailed story on this hire later this week.

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I know Coach Brewer is a good man and can coach. On the other hand I think the challenge of coaching at a 4A school may be a different animal than 1A Avery. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Appvol said:

One thing about Brewer is he is a really good defensive coach. When Avery had talent with him they were pretty good.

I was wondering what some Avery people thought of this hire. 

• Thanks 1

I believe Coach Brewer will try to establish a tough physical running game and defense.  Kinda the same formula that has worked at Mitchell and Mtn. Heritage.  The question is will they have enough athletes to compete with the top of that conference.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

They need some offence there for sure!!

Its actually quite the opposite. The defense has been putrid for years. The offense hasn't been much better but I think focusing on defense and physicality isn't a bad idea 

• Thanks 1

I’ve known Darrell Brewer for many years and he’s a first class man, teacher, and one  helluva good football coach. I saw this first hand when I spent the week with him a few years ago when he was on the Shrine Bowl staff. 

I understand that some of you are sore that Derrick Minor didn’t get it,  and he would have been a damn good selection as well, but you must support Brewer now because he’s a great leader. 

Maybe if things works out, Minor could join the staff as a coordinator. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Darrell Brewer is a solid man.  An excellent teacher of the game.  I think every player that suits up fir him will look back on their time with him positively.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, btango said:

Darrell Brewer is a solid man.  An excellent teacher if the game.  I think every player that suits up fir him will look back on their time with him positively.

Sounds like a great guy only time will tell if they made the right decision on the coaching job!!Good luck to Coach Brewer!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’ve known Darrell Brewer for many years and he’s a first class man, teacher, and one  helluva good football coach. I saw this first hand when I spent the week with him a few years ago when he was on the Shrine Bowl staff. 

I understand that some of you are sore that Derrick Minor didn’t get it,  and he would have been a damn good selection as well, but you must support Brewer now because he’s a great leader. 

Maybe if things works out, Minor could join the staff as a coordinator. 

This could work but wonder if Coach Minor would drive 50 min for a Asst coaching job interesting point. I heard he lives near Hickory area and has been offer several asst jobs and turn down two head coaching jobs already!!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

This could work but wonder if Coach Minor would drive 50 min for a Asst coaching job interesting point. I heard he lives near Hickory area and has been offer several asst jobs and turn down two head coaching jobs already!!

I know Coach Minor very well, and I'm pretty sure he'll do what's best for his family.  I think he will do what he can to leave Fred T. Foard as a teacher, but the move has to be right for everyone involved.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't believe we are hiring an Avery guy 🤣🤣🤣 but if I heard correct our superintendent is from there so go figure, but I have been to nearly ever Titan game since school opened so Brewer will get my complete support.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coach Brewer has my support, I look forward to seeing the changes he implements with the team. I think Coach Morgan did his best to improve the team speed and went to the spread offense. McDowell just didn't have the personnel to do it successfully. I think the power running game or even the option would be best for a team like the Titans. 

18 hours ago, titanman27 said:

I was wondering what some Avery people thought of this hire. 

I played with Darrell in high school, coached on the staff with him for a couple of years, and had a kid play for him 3 years (2-1 against McDowell).  Like everyone on here has said he is a great person and can get the kids to play for him.  He is a great defensive coach and will need a good offensive coordinator.  When Avery was really good they had a good offensive coordinator to go with him as a head coach.  This past year he had 3 of his players from a 1A Avery team at the FCS level.

Does anyone know if he is bring anyone with him?  I heard Mike Lunsford may be coming as well.

6 minutes ago, Toad27 said:

Does anyone know if he is bring anyone with him?  I heard Mike Lunsford may be coming as well.

The info that was originally circulating around was that Mike Lunsford was going to come in as a co-head coach, but since then, I've heard that he's not coming with him.  I do know that the school has reached out to Minor, but I can't speak to whether or not he would be interested in joining the staff, but I do think they have a teaching position available for Brewer to bring in an offensive coach. 

I'm glad for McDowell. I'm proud for them that they went away from the good ol boy system. I look forward to seeing the competitive team that they are sure to be.

• Thanks 1

It would of been awesome if Lunsford would of came with him. Lunsford retired  from coaching in TN but will be back helping his son try to turn Hampton around.Mike Jr. has had a few rough years since taking over for his dad at Hampton.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, Chris Hughes said:

sThe info that was originally circulating around was that Mike Lunsford was going to come in as a co-head coach, but since then, I've heard that he's not coming with him.  I do know that the school has reached out to Minor, but I can't speak to whether or not he would be interested in joining the staff, but I do think they have a teaching position available for Brewer to bring in an offensive coach. 

If you look at Coach minor's team from Fred T Foard you will see he did not have the biggest and fastest players but they hit the weight room and got strong he has never had the best talent but the kids played hard for him!!It would be interesting if he was to go run the offence this could be a Win Win for Mcdowell  Football two ex head coaches on staff one Defense one offensive Coach! Don't know if he would do that but if would be fun to watch!!

3 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

If you look at Coach minor's team from Fred T Foard you will see he did not have the biggest and fastest players but they hit the weight room and got strong he has never had the best talent but the kids played hard for him!!It would be interesting if he was to go run the offence this could be a Win Win for Mcdowell  Football two ex head coaches on staff one Defense one offensive Coach! Don't know if he would do that but if would be fun to watch!!

Interesting.