Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Darrell Brewer named Head Coach at McDowell

Rate this topic

Apologize for getting this out there after everyone’s bed time...but the McDowell County Board of Education approves former Avery County coach Darrell Brewer as the new head coach at McDowell. 

https://www.mcdowellnews.com/news/school-board-confirms-new-titan-head-coach/article_7e262c6a-8bf3-11e9-b458-af7c0c12119e.html

Expect a more detailed story on this hire later this week.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I know Coach Brewer is a good man and can coach. On the other hand I think the challenge of coaching at a 4A school may be a different animal than 1A Avery. 

One thing about Brewer is he is a really good defensive coach. When Avery had talent with him they were pretty good.

30 minutes ago, Appvol said:

One thing about Brewer is he is a really good defensive coach. When Avery had talent with him they were pretty good.

I was wondering what some Avery people thought of this hire. 

I really like Brewer. He coached defense at Cloudland,Tn last year. My son likes him a lot and will miss him. 

• Like 1

I believe Coach Brewer will try to establish a tough physical running game and defense.  Kinda the same formula that has worked at Mitchell and Mtn. Heritage.  The question is will they have enough athletes to compete with the top of that conference.

43 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

They need some offence there for sure!!

Its actually quite the opposite. The defense has been putrid for years. The offense hasn't been much better but I think focusing on defense and physicality isn't a bad idea 

I’ve known Darrell Brewer for many years and he’s a first class man, teacher, and one  helluva good football coach. I saw this first hand when I spent the week with him a few years ago when he was on the Shrine Bowl staff. 

I understand that some of you are sore that Derrick Minor didn’t get it,  and he would have been a damn good selection as well, but you must support Brewer now because he’s a great leader. 

Maybe if things works out, Minor could join the staff as a coordinator. 

• Like 2

Darrell Brewer is a solid man.  An excellent teacher of the game.  I think every player that suits up fir him will look back on their time with him positively.

3 hours ago, btango said:

Darrell Brewer is a solid man.  An excellent teacher if the game.  I think every player that suits up fir him will look back on their time with him positively.

Sounds like a great guy only time will tell if they made the right decision on the coaching job!!Good luck to Coach Brewer!!

7 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’ve known Darrell Brewer for many years and he’s a first class man, teacher, and one  helluva good football coach. I saw this first hand when I spent the week with him a few years ago when he was on the Shrine Bowl staff. 

I understand that some of you are sore that Derrick Minor didn’t get it,  and he would have been a damn good selection as well, but you must support Brewer now because he’s a great leader. 

Maybe if things works out, Minor could join the staff as a coordinator. 

This could work but wonder if Coach Minor would drive 50 min for a Asst coaching job interesting point. I heard he lives near Hickory area and has been offer several asst jobs and turn down two head coaching jobs already!!

19 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

This could work but wonder if Coach Minor would drive 50 min for a Asst coaching job interesting point. I heard he lives near Hickory area and has been offer several asst jobs and turn down two head coaching jobs already!!

I know Coach Minor very well, and I'm pretty sure he'll do what's best for his family.  I think he will do what he can to leave Fred T. Foard as a teacher, but the move has to be right for everyone involved.  

• Like 1

Coach Brewer has my support, I look forward to seeing the changes he implements with the team. I think Coach Morgan did his best to improve the team speed and went to the spread offense. McDowell just didn't have the personnel to do it successfully. I think the power running game or even the option would be best for a team like the Titans. 

4 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I know Coach Minor very well, and I'm pretty sure he'll do what's best for his family.  I think he will do what he can to leave Fred T. Foard as a teacher, but the move has to be right for everyone involved.  

+1

18 hours ago, titanman27 said:

I was wondering what some Avery people thought of this hire. 

I played with Darrell in high school, coached on the staff with him for a couple of years, and had a kid play for him 3 years (2-1 against McDowell).  Like everyone on here has said he is a great person and can get the kids to play for him.  He is a great defensive coach and will need a good offensive coordinator.  When Avery was really good they had a good offensive coordinator to go with him as a head coach.  This past year he had 3 of his players from a 1A Avery team at the FCS level.

Does anyone know if he is bring anyone with him?  I heard Mike Lunsford may be coming as well.

6 minutes ago, Toad27 said:

Does anyone know if he is bring anyone with him?  I heard Mike Lunsford may be coming as well.

The info that was originally circulating around was that Mike Lunsford was going to come in as a co-head coach, but since then, I've heard that he's not coming with him.  I do know that the school has reached out to Minor, but I can't speak to whether or not he would be interested in joining the staff, but I do think they have a teaching position available for Brewer to bring in an offensive coach. 

I'm glad for McDowell. I'm proud for them that they went away from the good ol boy system. I look forward to seeing the competitive team that they are sure to be.

• Thanks 1

It would of been awesome if Lunsford would of came with him. Lunsford retired  from coaching in TN but will be back helping his son try to turn Hampton around.Mike Jr. has had a few rough years since taking over for his dad at Hampton.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, Chris Hughes said:

sThe info that was originally circulating around was that Mike Lunsford was going to come in as a co-head coach, but since then, I've heard that he's not coming with him.  I do know that the school has reached out to Minor, but I can't speak to whether or not he would be interested in joining the staff, but I do think they have a teaching position available for Brewer to bring in an offensive coach. 

If you look at Coach minor's team from Fred T Foard you will see he did not have the biggest and fastest players but they hit the weight room and got strong he has never had the best talent but the kids played hard for him!!It would be interesting if he was to go run the offence this could be a Win Win for Mcdowell  Football two ex head coaches on staff one Defense one offensive Coach! Don't know if he would do that but if would be fun to watch!!

3 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

If you look at Coach minor's team from Fred T Foard you will see he did not have the biggest and fastest players but they hit the weight room and got strong he has never had the best talent but the kids played hard for him!!It would be interesting if he was to go run the offence this could be a Win Win for Mcdowell  Football two ex head coaches on staff one Defense one offensive Coach! Don't know if he would do that but if would be fun to watch!!

Interesting.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:41 AM, GridIronFan said:

Which HC jobs did he turn down?

Hate to burst the bubble but Derrick Minor is not coming to McDowell. The second place guy isn’t going to take an assistants job at the place he lost out at. 

I am hearing Brewer will have a couple guys coming with him to go along with those on the previous staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Appvol said:

Just wondering who that might be then. Brewer hasn’t been a head coach for about 5 years.

Not sure who it is yet...but I do know it’s not Lunsford.

I know it’s not Lunsford. I know his brother and he said he tried encouraging Mike to go with Brewer but he was happy doing what he was going to do.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:55 AM, titanman27 said:

Coach Brewer has my support, I look forward to seeing the changes he implements with the team. I think Coach Morgan did his best to improve the team speed and went to the spread offense. McDowell just didn't have the personnel to do it successfully. I think the power running game or even the option would be best for a team like the Titans. 

I can't figure out for the life of me why Mcdowell is not more competitive in football .the only thing I can figure is they can't get the kids out. I know for sure McDowell countie has athletes .I'm wishing coach Brewer and the Titans the best of luck..now they may be more to it than getting kids to play.but I hope they get it figured out..it would be good for western Carolina to have a good 4a team...

56 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Just curious on how the McDowell/Owen scrimmage went tonight?  

I doubt it went well for the titans considering some info I have heard and how they performed against West Caldwell. Likely going to be a long year for the Titans 

2 hours ago, titanman27 said:

I doubt it went well for the titans considering some info I have heard and how they performed against West Caldwell. Likely going to be a long year for the Titans 

McDowell Lost to West Caldwell 14-17 

McDowell against 1st team defense for 10 plays starting at own 40 was probably minus 10 yards.  Against 2nd team defense scored on a 40 yard run.  Owen vs MCdowell 1st team ended up at the goal line on 10th play.  Second 10 play scored once and ended up inside 15 as it ended.  I am not sure how much subbing McDowell did but Owen subbed alot.  12 minute game situation from the 25 Owen scored very quickly on a short pass play that was taken to the house.  Probably a 60 yard play.  McDowell then scored on a run by number 5 I believe who squirted out around the left side and took it about 40.  Then Owen scored on another long pass play maybe 40 yards in the air and 20 more on the run after catch.  McDowell ran a few plays and it was over.  They were stopped short of first down on 3rd and long and time expired.   Number 1 and and number 5 are pretty good play makers for McDowell.  There line was decent sized but against Owen first team line Owen dominated.  Vs some subs McDowell held up well.  Our line is our strength so I expect to win there virtually every night if we stay healthy.  Depth is an issue there.  In fact 1 of our front got hurt the 3rd play of the scrimmage and I'm not sure the extent of the injury but he didn't play the rest of the scrimmage.  Hopefully he will be fine. We were also missing 3 starters for disciplinary reasons that will be out vs East Hendo and ACR too.  I sure would like to see us at full strength.  If we are healthy come conference I see us contending.  After talking to our coach's last night they were being very careful to keep folks healthy which is why the starters played very little.  Besides that the play call was very vanilla.  Most teams dont want to show much in a scrimmage.  I'm not sure how well McDowell will be this year but I believe Brewer will get them on track.  Speaking of Brewer he got rolled up on one play and hurt his knee.  Hope he is ok

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owen Stampede said:

McDowell against 1st team defense for 10 plays starting at own 40 was probably minus 10 yards.  Against 2nd team defense scored on a 40 yard run.  Owen vs MCdowell 1st team ended up at the goal line on 10th play.  Second 10 play scored once and ended up inside 15 as it ended.  I am not sure how much subbing McDowell did but Owen subbed alot.  12 minute game situation from the 25 Owen scored very quickly on a short pass play that was taken to the house.  Probably a 60 yard play.  McDowell then scored on a run by number 5 I believe who squirted out around the left side and took it about 40.  Then Owen scored on another long pass play maybe 40 yards in the air and 20 more on the run after catch.  McDowell ran a few plays and it was over.  They were stopped short of first down on 3rd and long and time expired.   Number 1 and and number 5 are pretty good play makers for McDowell.  There line was decent sized but against Owen first team line Owen dominated.  Vs some subs McDowell held up well.  Our line is our strength so I expect to win there virtually every night if we stay healthy.  Depth is an issue there.  In fact 1 of our front got hurt the 3rd play of the scrimmage and I'm not sure the extent of the injury but he didn't play the rest of the scrimmage.  Hopefully he will be fine. We were also missing 3 starters for disciplinary reasons that will be out vs East Hendo and ACR too.  I sure would like to see us at full strength.  If we are healthy come conference I see us contending.  After talking to our coach's last night they were being very careful to keep folks healthy which is why the starters played very little.  Besides that the play call was very vanilla.  Most teams dont want to show much in a scrimmage.  I'm not sure how well McDowell will be this year but I believe Brewer will get them on track.  Speaking of Brewer he got rolled up on one play and hurt his knee.  Hope he is ok

Thanks for the info bud. Sounds like McDowell has some play-makers. I was really hoping they had someone who could step in for all the skill players they are replacing. I knew the line would be decent. I' just glad it sounded like they competed against what should be a solid Owen team. I know this year may be tough but think Brewer can turn things around a little.

You're welcome my friend.  Your league makes it tough.  I think you will see improvement week by week and your record might not indicate how good your team is.  Brewer will make a competitive team out of McDowell.  There has to be talent in that school.  Too good at basketball and baseball not to.