Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Artificial Turf

Rate this topic

What are the thoughts of all high schools eventually having turf. Could it happen in the future or will it always be some schools have it, some not. I know Al Brown and Kings Mountain will have  it this year. Anymore schools on the list in the near future. 

John Paul 2 in Greenville has a turf field, they are starting their program this fall. I believe Northern Durham plays on a turf field as well.

• Like 1

We are getting our sidelines turfed and all grass that isnt the playing field is getting turfed. We love our grass so that's our turf for now. 

• Like 1

I think ppl who knows the field at Kannapolis knows that at the start of the season it's one of the best field in the state, but at the end of the year it can be brutal if there is a lot of bad weather. So I can see where they would want to go to a turf field. 

• Like 1

It should be ready before the season starts. Their first game of the year is at home and it's August 30.

I heard it only took four to five weeks for them to install a new turf field. This is only a guess, Kannapolis graduation is this Friday or Saturday. So I'm guessing they'll start on it next week.

We are getting our sidelines turfed and all grass that isn't the playing field is getting turfed. We love our grass so that's our turf for now. 

I love this idea. I wish EG would turf the coaches box so we don't have to drag the sideline tarps on and off the field before and after the game.

As far as all high schools in the state doing this, I doubt it because of the cost. Even if they lowered the cost to the $100,000.00 range many schools could not afford it. Also remember that it will have to be replaced in a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 84k said:

I heard it only took four to five weeks for them to install a new turf field. This is only a guess, Kannapolis graduation is this Friday or Saturday. So I'm guessing they'll start on it next week.

When you drop your scheduled slot late in the process and reschedule you fall to the end of the line so to speak.  That is the concern I heard voiced.  May be nothing and all comes together fine.

I don't know for a fact, but I heard East Lincoln dropped us late in the process. That's why we only play one game in the first 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, 84k said:

I don't know for a fact, but I heard East Lincoln dropped us late in the process. That's why we only play one game in the first 3 weeks.

Wasn’t Shelby looking for a game for week 3. Looking at their schedule it looks like they have two open Fridays. 

3 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Wasn’t Shelby looking for a game for week 3. Looking at their schedule it looks like they have two open Fridays. 

Yes, but I don't know if one school tried to talk to the other.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 84k said:

That is correct.  Initially were week one I thought.

My discussions with our school superintendent 10 or 12 years ago indicated that amortized over the lifespan of the field, the turf cost is about equal to what is paid out in the same time frame for a grass field's maintenance.  It's the usage and consistent playing surface that is gained that it is paying for.  A lot of fields here are heavily used-  HS, MS and travel soccer, football- youth, middle and HS and assorted practice times.   

When I was in junior high, I can remember our games being moved to the practice field or postponed due to wet weather.  The varsity football coach was very protective of the stadium field, especially early in the season.  Soccer didn't exist.

Somewhere I used to have a photo from the Asheville paper of an official standing ankle deep in mud during a Brevard College game at Brevard High School's stadium.

I agree that there are places that a nice grass field makes as much sense.

• Like 2

It all depends where your school is located. If you are in the high mountains your Bermuda growing season is far shorter than if you live along the coastal areas. I would like to see the actual cost of building, sprigging, and maintaining a Bermuda FB field for 20 years vs building and maintaining a synthetic turf FB field for the same period of time. Plus, the cost of reinstalling the synthetic turf field after its time to do so vs the cost of continuing to maintain the natural Bermuda field turf. To me that would be an interesting comparison. I will ask our AD as to the amount of money he spends on average each year.

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

It all depends where your school is located. If you are in the high mountains your Bermuda growing season is far shorter than if you live along the coastal areas. I would like to see the actual cost of building, sprigging, and maintaining a Bermuda FB field for 20 years vs building and maintaining a synthetic turf FB field for the same period of time. Plus, the cost of reinstalling the synthetic turf field after its time to do so vs the cost of continuing to maintain the natural Bermuda field turf. To me that would be an interesting comparison. I will ask our AD as to the amount of money he spends on average each year.

Natural Grass                                                                                                    Field Turf

Base preparation $150,000 $320,000
Materials $2.75 per sq. ft. = $220,000 $4.75 per sq. ft. = $380,000
Maintenance $20,000 x 10 years = $200,000 $5,000 x 10 years = $50,000
Total $570,000 $750,000
Scheduling Possibilities 25 hours x 25 weeks x 10 years = 6,250 hours 68 hours x 44 weeks x 10 years = 29,920 hours
Average Cost Per Hour of Use $91.20 $25.07

Never happen in Guilford County, at least not until certain schools get before any others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glenn said:

Plus, the cost of reinstalling the synthetic turf field after its time to do so vs the cost of continuing to maintain the natural Bermuda field turf. To me that would be an interesting comparison. I will ask our AD as to the amount of money he spends on average each year.

I think part of the equation must be how many man hours to maintain the fields and how much usage per each option.

I like grass fields but the amount of use and the work required to keep one up would seem to be the issue.  Varsity and JV football, soccer (boys and girls), lacrosse (boys and girls) in some schools, band, and some practice sessions.  Also, youth sports which can bring in additional money and / or help the community.  

Our AD Randall Hackett at EG does an exceptional job of taking care of all our athletic fields so we coaches do not have to mow or line off the fields (one assistant coach lines off the practice FB fields for 7 on 7's and practice as his none coaching duty). Guilford County pays a stipend for a coach to take care of the fields and Coach Hackett gets this. I am fine with this because our fields are second to none. I do wish we had synthetic turf for all the reasons mentioned by everyone. My guess is I will be long gone before Guilford County does this for all our 15 schools. My uneducated guess is that none of the large systems will. This seems to be the way the one HS towns and small school systems do things. I guess because of the cost. Even if I won the lottery the GCS system would not let me do this for EG.

GSO. Thanks for the information. However, I doubt very seriously that EGHS spends $520,000 on its FB  field in a 20 year period of time or that it spent $150,000 initially sprigging the Bermuda. Like I said our AD does all the work as a part of his job and my guess is his summer compensation is no more than $2000. I spent a lot of donated hours (along with our other coaches) re-sprigging areas on the game field and practice fields repairing areas. I am totally with you on the fact that certain schools in GC have to get what they want before the rest get anything. You and I are not crying. We are simply stating the facts. That is just the way it is.

I always thought that The Pit in Franklin would be the mountain's last holdout for Bermuda grass.  However, there was an article in the Franklin Press a few weeks ago that hinted that our administration was looking into the notion of a turf field.  Our coaching staff has always put a metric crap load of time into the field and soccer plays at a different location anyways, so that was surprising to me.  I hope we stay on the grass but it all comes down to the money at some point I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

please!!!! do not get the vegan option  like Smoky Mountain.

Surprised they've not yet had an invasion of squirrels.

Some parents in Jackson Co. expressed concern over the potential cancer causing agents in the infill and it caused a major delay in going ahead with the project.  It got so slow that the Carolina Panthers threatened to pull their grant for the field.  Eventually, Jackson Co. went with a natural infill which increased the cost.  I believe it is made from crushed walnut shells.

Instead of the little black rubber pellets, it looks white.

My son played on it his senior year.  He was not impressed.

https://wlos.com/news/local/additional-funds-approved-for-organic-artificial-turf-at-smoky-mountain-high-school

Notwithstanding our last budget, history shows our fake turf will probably be indoor/outdoor carpet installed by Bob's Flooring Mart to save a couple bucks.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:34 PM, Catholic said:

We are getting our sidelines turfed and all grass that isnt the playing field is getting turfed. We love our grass so that's our turf for now. 

Since there is basically no sideline..... that’s not much turf. Just saying

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, onioncfb1 said:

True but it turns into a mud hole as does some of the areas behind the end zones.

19 hours ago, onioncfb1 said:

And it is still a top 5 stadium in the state. *shrugs*