Sign in to follow this  
coachmp

South Davidson

Rate this topic

I’ve heard some rumblings, but nothing concrete. It could be the toughest job in NC, but on flip side, Denton and the High Rock Lake area is a wonderful place to live. 

South Davidson is a hard place to figure out .... Haven't heard anything happening up that way ...

SD has always been a strange situation. They have never had many (if any) successful  seasons.

Just a tough area bc its a Rural area but I mean U gotta have some good linemen n play a Solid RUN game imo , SD prob dont have much talent but I think could be atleast 3-4 win team if they get a Right coach there and Build a decent offense that can run n also It is a Pretty Area and Its nice place to live like Chris said, I think Biggest issue is lack of talent

• Like 1

Hey BlueDevilsBiggestFan, this could be your opportunity to be a head coach!  I bet they'd give you an interview!  Sounds like they need all the help they can get!  Of course I'm kidding! But this would be a good entry level for you to get involved! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Hey BlueDevilsBiggestFan, this could be your opportunity to be a head coach!  I bet they'd give you an interview!  Sounds like they need all the help they can get!  Of course I'm kidding! But this would be a good entry level for you to get involved! 

If I could I would -- Just remember Its not bout Wins and Losses , Its bout helping Young men and woman to become better people, get involved in the community and just learn and grow as a person!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is also about what the administration is willing to do to build a program. The biggest think is making sure all the FB players are in a WL class every semester the entire time they are there. Do they have MS FB? If they do not, this is another program maker/breaker. Plus, having a successful youth program is vital.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Glenn said:

It is also about what the administration is willing to do to build a program. The biggest think is making sure all the FB players are in a WL class every semester the entire time they are there. Do they have MS FB? If they do not, this is another program maker/breaker. Plus, having a successful youth program is vital.

I don’t believe their youth program isn’t good either ; Also The Middle is at the high school just different building 

MS plays all the Davidson County schools in football with limited success.  Things are a mess right now and it will be a tough spot, but an opportunity to go down to Denton and work hard to turn things around.  Really nice facilities,  moderate parental support and a strong boosters club that can get behind the coach and the kids.  School has a bunch of empty classrooms and limited opportunity to hire based on that.  No principal as of today, and no HC makes it tough to get any work done this summer.  New HC will have to build a new coaching staff and basically start from stratch August 1 due to the late hire and mandatory summer shutdown weeks in July.  I think the Wildcats can learn to battle and win, just will take time to do so.  

On 6/9/2019 at 7:27 AM, GridIronFan said:

That program has been bad for years no way this would be a good job!!

South Davidson has been a tough place since the doors were opened in 1989.  In their existence, they have failed to have a winning season, and have only posted three .500 marks in their history, but thanks to sub-divided playoffs, they have at least made the post-season eight times, but have never won a playoff game.  

The Wildcats had some very solid momentum going back in the mid 2000's under Mike Crowell, but his untimely death really hurt that program, and community, as he was a great man and very respected football & wrestling coach. 

You would have to go back to Denton HS to find any winning seasons (2), and both Denton and South combined have only won 21% of their games since 1959. 

Link: All-Time South Davidson football records. 

• Like 1

The lack of success at South Davidson isn't just limited to football at the school.  Over the past decade, the baseball team has struggled, typically winning a few games a season, and have even had a few 0-20 seasons, and basketball has mainly been about the same, with the exception being the magical 24-6 season they had back around 2011.  

On the flip-side, they've had some very good girls sports teams, and have won 25+ games several times in ladies hoops.  Now I've spent a lot of time in that part of the county as a kid (mainly around High Rock Lake), and love the town of Denton, but it is a very secluded area with no real main roads going through it, no real industry, and you have to wonder if the rural nature of the area is a disadvantage for them.  Maybe not so much today, but I could imagine that over the years, farming, deer hunting, and fishing probably kept a lot of boys from playing sports, and the most students they've ever had in the building since the turn of the century has been just north of 500, so for a school and community that small, you pretty much need all hands on deck in regards to young men playing sports.

The one plus they have in their favor, if they could attract a good, young coach who is willing to work hard, put down roots, and try to build something, is the fact that they have great facilities, a lot of land, and a beautiful stadium.  If they could find a principal who is willing to go "all-in" in regards to getting players in weightlifting, and find a coach who is willing to be a little different, built a team based on being stronger than the opposition, and run a power based offense and bring a level of physicality that most teams don't want to play, then you may be able to find some success and build a foundation to build upon.  (If I were to take over there, my blueprint would be Mount Pleasant because they win a lot with very little talent, or even Charlotte Catholic who from a talent perspective isn't in the same boat as the teams that they play and beat on a weekly basis). 

• Like 1

Chris, 

You nailed it on the head with your points. People have said about SD, "If it ends with an in', then it is getting in the way of sports and academics" down there.  Fishin', huntin', swimmin', four wheelin', workin' and others I won't mention.  The town is small and has no diversity, which makes them struggle against more athletic teams in open field situations. I agree they need to run a power based offense and mix in a little passing and tickery at times to keep the opponent honest.  Set in a good base defense that covers all the gaps and allows pressure with the blitz to interupt flow and prevent teams from getting the ball into open spaces where SD players mostly lose that battle.  When Crowell passed, they had an opportunity to keep things going with a couple of staff members but went outside twice for coaches and both ended up leaving.  Only disagreement, is a veteran coach could very well be the right choice as well.  Hard to beat experience when it comes to building a program, working the fan base and building relationships.  Wrestling is not as strong, but is still a good sport for them.   

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bigtime87 said:

"If it ends with an in', then it is getting in the way of sports and academics" down there.  Fishin', huntin', swimmin', four wheelin', workin' and others I won't mention.  

😮

You know, I had heard and thought that when I was typing up my first post, and with how good the girls teams have been, I get it!  I remember what Bear Bryant used to say was really undefeated! And it ain't football. 

16 minutes ago, Bigtime87 said:

Only disagreement, is a veteran coach could very well be the right choice as well.  Hard to beat experience when it comes to building a program, working the fan base and building relationships.  

If it wasn't about an hour away, I would consider looking into it.  I've said that once my kids were older, I would go back into coaching, and I love a good project, but this is one of mammoth proportions that will take an all-in approach from many.  The first step is that the school has to want to be good, and believe that they can be good, and not just go through the motions.  Not until they believe its possible, will people buy in and start putting in the work.  

I just bought a puppy from a great family in Denton (who works in the high school), and I love the area, but boy that's a tough gig.  Sometimes I wonder if the county shouldn't just find a way to consolidate Central and South, and if Lexinigton City schools would ever disband and become part of the Davidson County district, you could close it, and re-draw the lines to more evenly distribute kids between West, Central, and South, or just go from four high schools in one part of the county, to just two, which is probably the better solution. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

If it wasn't about an hour away, I would consider looking into it.  I've said that once my kids were older, I would go back into coaching, and I love a good project, but this is one of mammoth proportions that will take an all-in approach from many.  The first step is that the school has to want to be good, and believe that they can be good, and not just go through the motions.  Not until they believe its possible, will people buy in and start putting in the work.  

I just bought a puppy from a great family in Denton (who works in the high school), and I love the area, but boy that's a tough gig.  Sometimes I wonder if the county shouldn't just find a way to consolidate Central and South, and if Lexinigton City schools would ever disband and become part of the Davidson County district, you could close it, and re-draw the lines to more evenly distribute kids between West, Central, and South, or just go from four high schools in one part of the county, to just two, which is probably the better solution. 

If I COULD i would be the HC -- I think Offensively - U gotta keep it Simple but something that goes work and you can make more advance later . I think your primary focus will be the Run Game so OL will be your main focus. Can they pull, cant not, or whatever then u can base your run scheme off that. Defense will need a Overhaul extremely, I know there usually under size and all but u gotta teach the right moves and all to stay on WR n stay focus and LET HIM make the play n u try do whatever it takes to not let him 

I would use the Mooresville saying: GUTS (Greater Urge to Succeed) ; I think you would have to have a solid staff and try to get the right people in there and also i would also reach to like people like Kevin Parks or someone to help during workout to get the boys in shape. Also I would also do more within the community and try draw interest. 

Like I said Before - If u can get 3-4 wins per year, I think your doing BETTER than most at SD! I think this will be a SLOW build but also like i said Its not all about Winning or losing ; Its bout Teaching Young Men and Woman Values, Goals, Memories, Life Lessons etc etc 

• Like 1

Any offense can be simple, it's all a basic numbering system with gaps, blocking schemes, and running routes, jumbled up into an elaborate play call, or an easy to remember symbol like a college, color, state, person, etc.  With that being said, it doesn't matter the system, or how easy it is to implement, the foundation of South Davidson's, or any program for that matter has to be with a year-round strength program.  I've seen some of the most sleekest and speediest skill kids assembled on teams that could blow your doors off in 7-on-7's, but get worn down to nothing in games because they were weak, and lacked a physical presence in the trenches.  

Football is not about scheme, it is not about play designs, football is about physical imposing your will on your opponent, and by force, moving him from point A to point B.  Strength has to be the cornerstone, and with it, it can open up a whole lot of options to add in some wrinkles like elaborate schemes.  

At a school like South Davidson, you don't have the ability, or luxury to ask kids to play one single sport, for an athletic program to thrive, boys have to play all sports, so tailoring a weight program to compliment those athletes while they are in-season with other sports is key to any future success.

I personally think you could win at South, but I think you have to be realistic about your expectations, and you have to get a 100% buy-in by the admin, or else, you'll be pissing in the wind and putting up the same records that they've been putting up for decades. 

• Like 1

It is an opportunity for an emerging coach to go, win some games and move on or a veteran to come in and finish out trying to turn it around.  SD has a good track team and had won states in some events like the 4x400 in recent years so those kids can run decent.  Got to get them out for football, get bigger, stronger and faster.  

There is a coach from the 2017 4A state champion team that is move to the area soon and looking for coaching job. Would be a great fit if they were willing to hire HC that doesnt teach. Pistol Wing T offense and 3-4 defense guy. Coached under the Sam Greiner coaching tree 

Too rural. Too many outdoor loves to be successful. Much like Fred T Foard and Bunker Hill but much less kids to field a team. Had a coach that quit a couple months into his employment. Didn’t even get to spring practice before leaving. Have not finished seasons before. Can’t pull together a JV squad. This is not a rebuild. This is a drop the football program and focus on soccer. Or checkers. Nice place to settle down or better yet retire. Not a place where male sports dreams come true.

All these things mentioned to why this program fails, its not as bad as Robbinsville. We have less kids, all our kids hunt and fish. We actually have the best trout fishing in the state and nice trails in ride in the mtns. 4 lakes. One is the tallest dam this side of hoover at 485 ft, one lake rank prettiest lake in US by a few magazines. No jobs either.  

So  you cant only blame those things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, Knights said:

All these things mentioned to why this program fails, its not as bad as Robbinsville. We have less kids, all our kids hunt and fish. We actually have the best trout fishing in the state and nice trails in ride in the mtns. 4 lakes. One is the tallest dam this side of hoover at 485 ft, one lake rank prettiest lake in US by a few magazines. No jobs either.  

So  you cant only blame those things. 

Robbinsville has a strong football tradition. Many of those kids parents played and won state championships. So, there is a emphasis to uphold the legacy of Robbinsville football. South Davidson has none of that. It is funny though that Robbinsville has the best trout fishing team. Not too many of those out there. LOL 

2 hours ago, Knights said:

Who said anything about a trout fushing team?

Oops, misread it. It is a great area for trout fishing. We had kids miss practice the first day of bear season every year when I was at Smoky. LOL. Still, South Davidson has nothing that resembles the great tradition of Robbinsville. Or the same type kids I'd bet.