Sign in to follow this  

Kannapolis coach Bob Boswell passes away

Rate this topic

He turned the program around to what it is day. I had the pleasure to play for him. He will be missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the greatest men I ever knew.  He's meant more to me than I could ever say, and he pushed me to make CarolinaPreps big-time, and taught me how to promote teams.  A lot of how CP is done is very similar to his Wonder Word newsletters he used to send out to boosters and colleges in the days before the internet, or even before local papers really pushed publicizing athletes to next level coaches. He was a man who was doing things well before it became the standard, he is the reason why Cabarrus and Rowan teams were so good, and without the success he found at A.L. Brown, Concord HS would never have been the program it became either, because to quote Coach EZ Smith, "our two programs thrived off the competition with one another.", which in turn made football in the region so much more competitive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I heard last week that he was in bad shape. I have known him a long time since we both are Alamance County born and raised. He was in Cabarrus County (AL Brown) when I was at CC and MP. One of his daughters lived right behind me in Concord. I knew her husband Scott Swaringen as well.. I would see him from time to time after he retired. He was a very energetic (like EZ) person and I always enjoyed running into him. He loved to talk on almost any subject. He also had a couple of other Alamance County boys who coached for him at AL Brown (JB Vaughn and Billy Wightman) and we enjoyed getting together. JB died several years back. He was an Elon College All American and a guard at The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. Billy played at East Carolina and is still in the Concord area. They both played at Graham HS. Bob played at Williams. Having coached in several high schools in NC and SC as well as NCSU he had a lot of friends and he will be missed by a lot of people. What a great guy. I really do not think I appreciated him as much until after he retired from coaching and I would run into him around Concord and we would stop and talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This year will be my 36th year volunteering for AL Brown football. Coach Boswell was my first coach on the chain crew!

He treated us just like the coaches as far as fitting us with shirts etc.

RIP Boz!

Edited by Don Hines
  • Like 1

Coach Boswell caught me sneaking back on campus after cutting lunch as a sophomore back in 1981. Let me off the hook for being honest. He was an awesome coach and he along with the late Dr Grier A Bradshaw are the ones single handedly responsible for turning things around in K-Town when they did. Coach would never let me forget that when I interviewed him back in 2011 for my web page. Rest in peace Coach Boswell. You're a great man!!

• Thanks 1

I'm glad you mentioned Dr. Bradshaw.  Coach Boswell once told me that he (Bradshaw) didn't know a lot about football, and that was what made him such a good administrator.  He said that Dr. Bradshaw wanted to ensure that the band was the biggest and best around, and that the football team was the best around, and was smart enough to put experts in place to accomplish those feats, and gave them the tools, and authority to get the job done.  

I preach administration support like a drum, but this goes to show that with the tools and support, you can do anything with the right leader in place. 

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I'm glad you mentioned Dr. Bradshaw.  Coach Boswell once told me that he (Bradshaw) didn't know a lot about football, and that was what made him such a good administrator.  He said that Dr. Bradshaw wanted to ensure that the band was the biggest and best around, and that the football team was the best around, and was smart enough to put experts in place to accomplish those feats, and gave them the tools, and authority to get the job done.  

I preach administration support like a drum, but this goes to show that with the tools and support, you can do anything with the right leader in place. 

I think I called Dr Bradshaw "The Great Facilitator" of Wonder Football and Coach Boswell "The Great Architect" of Wonder Football. Dr Bradshaw told me that there was a lot of contention there between Byron King and Dr Bradshaw for a long time because Coach Boswell reported directly to Bradshaw for anything he needed and bypassed King. You talk about a cooperative admin? K-Town had it then. Dr Ernest Macon was all in too. I remember Boswell telling me how he and Louis V Bean use to get into some verbal jousting over the marching band using his field during game week to rehearse. He went to Dr Bradshaw and told him he didn't want the band cutting up his field marching on it, but Lou Bean was as hard nosed as coach Boswell. lol

6 minutes ago, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

I remember Boswell telling me how he and Louis V Bean use to get into some verbal jousting over the marching band using his field during game week to rehearse. He went to Dr Bradshaw and told him he didn't want the band cutting up his field marching on it, but Lou Bean was as hard nosed as coach Boswell. lol

And in that era, and it seems strange to say this on a high school football board but its true, the band probably had as much pull as the football team did.  Both were equally huge ambassadors to the town and school, and while they both shared many of the same fans, the band had an equally impressive group of followers that showed up at games only to see them perform.