BigB704

Is $100,000 to much to pay a high school football coach?

Rate this topic

Let's not forget that Charlotte is a great area to live in. Many of these coaches have dual income families and the job opportunities for the spouse is very high. You can go make more $$ in Richmond but there is no B of A or Wells around and I have to think that plays a part as well.

• Thanks 1

Did you do the Drivers Ed classes during non school hours?

Yes. However, I did drive home school and private school kids during the day when I retired the first time when I was in Cabarrus County. Plus the fact that I made more than had I worked for a private driving school. I could work before school (my morning classes were always full of kids who had other things to do after school which was great for athletes), after school (out of season), Saturdays and holidays. No Sundays.

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

1whoknows

it is not taxed 50 percent!!!. 

My coaching supplement has never been taxed at 50%.

I agree. Mine was never taxed 50% either.

Also, I work in the school system and don't know a single teacher that is a 12 month employee. I am because I am in maintenance, but my wife (English teacher) is a 10 month. I am vested with state and did it in 10 years. that depends on date of hire.

ZBVANCE. You said "I have also heard about the fewer rules and football coaches can run their programs without looking over their shoulders". Could you explain this more in detail. Exactly what rules are you referring to. I will have to say that I have never felt that I had the need to look over my shoulder and I have coached for many, many years. Perhaps there are things that I am unaware of or missed.

ZBVANCE posted. I have tons of colleges that come into my office and vent that it’s hard to recruit SC or surrounding areas because kids just don’t have the dag on grades. I may be wrong.. but I don’t see a whole lot of SC high schools posting 10-18 football signings on signing day like a Vance, MC, Hough, MP.. etc. again, I could be wrong.

I was talking to Coach Ayers at Wofford about the same thing. He told me that he had a very difficult time getting the SC kids into Wofford because they did not qualify. I have no problem with the counties who have a 2.0 gpa rule. It makes us coaches do a better job of making sure our players do what they need to do to stay qualified. The only thing I do not like is the fact that most systems do not have this qualifying rule which to me creates an uneven playing field. I would be interested in knowing what systems have this rule. The only ones I know are Guilford, CM, Alamance-Burlington, and I think Monroe. It is great to develop outstanding FB players but it is even greater to develop outstanding students.

1whoknows

The one thing SC started with a few years ago and I know Texas has this also.  That 4th period of the day was an Athletic Period.  All the football coaches had 4th-period planning.  They were able to lift weights with all the coaches available and also go out and practice in the spring before school was out.  So everything was done.  Kids had a life after school and so did coaches.  The Texas High School I visited had this for ALL their sports!!!  The track team was at practice, baseball was at practice etc. and the kids are getting on the bus, you would not have coaches taking kids home every day and using their gas money and time  

I love this part of the curriculum planning. Are you saying that each HS provides free transportation to practice during the non school days and to home after practice? One great thing about Guilford County is that athletes can take WL class every semester except the semester that they take freshman H&PE. Even then they filter the athletes into WL classes during the day. One reason EG has made great strides in the past 3 years in the fact that when Lance Sockwell (former WCU player and HS FB coach) replaced the former principal (who was not a huge athletic supporter) he made it possible for our athletes to be able to do this. Even though it is allowed to happen the former principal would never allow it. Many of our athletes are 2 and 3 sports athletes and they do not have time to lift after school and doing this in class makes this possible. It develops better athletes.

Glenn, I think the idea of fourth period weight or spring practice was that the student athlete would finish their day during the off-season the same time that school is complete allowing them to ride ride the school bus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glenn said:

ZBVANCE. You said "I have also heard about the fewer rules and football coaches can run their programs without looking over their shoulders". Could you explain this more in detail. Exactly what rules are you referring to. I will have to say that I have never felt that I had the need to look over my shoulder and I have coached for many, many years. Perhaps there are things that I am unaware of or missed.

Glenn, I am speaking of simple rules that get many CMS coaches in trouble every year such as contact rules... tons of online classes that head coaches have to take... Spring ball games.. etc

NC is head and shoulders above most districts when it comes to player safety and educating their coaches. Some coaches see that as great while other are like man I am tired of them adding more classes... I just want to coach ball! Lol

If im not mistaken the 2.0 GPA is statewide. lso kids up here have to pass 3/4 of the classes taken and can not fail 2 core classes

Paul, the 2.0 gpa is not a state rule unless it was implemented for this season. Most systems still use the pass 3 out  of 4. They can pass with a D. I would be interested in how many NC systems use the 2.0 gpa rule.

ZBVANCE. Thanks for the feedback. Are the classes you speak of the ones required by The National Federation? If so, I think they are a national requirement. If they are not, I am sure they will be soon.  I actually think that those required classes are a good thing. They force us to revisit areas such as concussions, heat, etc. Most of them are a one time deal. The concussion course has to be retaken every year. In Guilford County we have to be certified in CPR and get this renewed every year. We are not required to take many others but can take them and receive a special National Federation Certification if we choose to do so. They are free. I agree with you on the spring practice rules we now have to use. I actually thought that most people agreed with me on having 10 days of contact and a spring game, but found out I was in the minority. I do like the dead periods and the time constraints because we all know that some coaches would keep the kids out there for 4 hours if they could and do it in the heat of the day to toughen them up. We also cannot practice between certain hours because of the heat of the day. Our practices and workouts are in the morning from 8:00 - 10:30. I think if we chose to practice in the afternoon we could not start until 5:00 PM. Safety first always.