BigB704

Is $100,000 to much to pay a high school football coach?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

SC, GA, and Texas have head football coaches making that through the system.

My question is are all head coaches in these states paid the same amount by the state. Both states (NC and VA) I have coached in had a basic teacher salary as well as a local coaching supplement. In NC the basic salary is a state teacher salary. In VA each county has its own teacher salary schedule. Are you saying that the state or counties you mentioned have a different salary scale for coaches?

Different systems pay different stipends for coaches and teachers.  Ex: Cabarrus County pays more than Stanly County.

Coach interviewed at Valdosta over 15 years ago.  The system paid but the booster club had a yearly SUV and "assistance" with housing.

If scratching on a white board is worth $100,000 I would assume a 24/7 soldier fighting insurgents in the desert is worth about $900,000. And an electrical engineer is worth $500,000. Carry on gents. 

•  
3 hours ago, Glenn said:

SC, GA, and Texas have head football coaches making that through the system.

My question is are all head coaches in these states paid the same amount by the state. Both states (NC and VA) I have coached in had a basic teacher salary as well as a local coaching supplement. In NC the basic salary is a state teacher salary. In VA each county has its own teacher salary schedule. Are you saying that the state or counties you mentioned have a different salary scale for coaches?

Different systems pay different stipends for coaches and teachers.  Ex: Cabarrus County pays more than Stanly County.

I know that. I was asking about SC, GA and TX.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:
  •  

I know that. I was asking about SC, GA and TX.

I was using that as an example.  Same in SC.  Check out the pay differential between Spartanburg County and York County.  York is much less. 

Georgia had 44 head football coaches making over $100k last year.  Highest paid was Rush Propst at Colquitt over $140k.  He got fired.  Butted heads with BOE and administration which started people looking closer at him.  On the interactive map linked below you can click on the icons and it will give you info on the coaches making over $100k.

https://c0eru125.caspio.com/dp/a503100077e86a35decd489b925c

I have always wondered what role the head coaches in SC (as well as other states) who do not teach play. In NC (as well as many other states) each state paid employee has to have a role in the educational process. The state does not have coaching listed as a role which is a paid position. There are roles that are listed as administrative roles such as AD, as well as other non teaching academic roles. I guess it is possible for a booster group to fund a non teaching, non administrative head coaching position where the HC does not receive state funds, but is still under LEA control, but my guess is that this would not be the norm.

In another issue, I was told by a coach who would know that those huge HS stadiums in Texas that are home sites for 5-6 schools are having a difficult time with attendance. That the attendance has really dropped off in recent years because of a lack of interest. I remember fondly that when we were in the conference with WA  3 years ago we played them during the regular season at their place and it was packed. Then when we played them in the 2nd or 3rd round of the state playoffs at our place there was not an empty seat and most spots around the fence and on the hill was taken. That was wonderful. Then our conference was split up and it has not been the same since then.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:10 PM, Glenn said:

I would also like to pose a question on this subject. If every high school in NC payed its HC $100,000.00 a year where would you suggest this money come from? With colleges it is a total different situation. The support clubs (Rams Club, Wolfpack Club, etc.) supplements the amount over what the state pays, plus the ticket sales, as well as TV revenue, etc. These things are not a part of the HS scene. Very few high school football programs generate that much gate revenue. So, in this day and age when the state paints the bleak picture it paints when the schools ask for more money for teacher raises as well as classroom supplies and school maintenance and construction, where will this money come from. One huge thing that sticks out in my mind was several years ago when they used the term Education Lottery to get this passed it was touted as extra money for education. They forgot to tell us that the money that they were already giving education was not going to be supplemented with this Education Lottery. Instead, it was going to be replaced by this new found source of money. That meant we were no better off than we were before the lottery.  My main question was where did the original money go. Now we are back where we started from. Had it supplemented the existing $$$$ it would have solved all our problems. Now, give me your solutions. BTW until June 17 I have far too much time on my hands. After June 17 you will not have to endure my epistles as much. If I had only taken typing.

NCEL money by law, cannot be used for teacher pay - instead it goes into school construction and maintenance.  So we have a lot of new and refurbished schools but the same average and underpaid teachers.  I am all for changing that so we can get better teachers and coaches and retain them. A significant slice of lotto money should go towards bonuses for good teachers/coaches and educational/athletic material that helps them succeed.