Jump to content

BigB704

Is $100,000 to much to pay a high school football coach?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

You are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for your services period.  Yeah we can get into the philosophical debate about education and how teachers in the school should be paid more and yes that is the case and I am sure we all can agree. I had the conversation today at a business meeting about cost and who sets the level for how much things are. “It cost what it cost” exceptional talent in any occupation gets paid exponentially more in most circumstances. It all goes back to what is the area of emphasis by leadership funnels significant funding.....no different than our political system...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me i dont see a problem with paying a coach that much to just coach. Football is a high revenue sport so why not pay the person bringing in all the revenue. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money is all relative. You use the $100k measuring stick but the bar is different for everyone. Some people think $100k a year makes you a rich person. Others would not get out of bed for that salary.

Personally I would have zero issues with paying any educator a 6 figure salary provided they could demonstrate their worth but there in lies the problem. Much easier to demonstrate that in the private sector.

I have seen some HC'S worth a $100k or more because of their larger effect on the school and community. I have also seen plenty that were barely worth minimum wage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why people never question the pay of administrators or superintendents it’s always coaches...the same coaches who are working all year long including the summer time while others are on vacation or working other jobs earning more than said coaches! 🤔

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WiseOne88 said:

I wonder why people never question the pay of administrators or superintendents it’s always coaches...the same coaches who are working all year long including the summer time while others are on vacation or working other jobs earning more than said coaches! 🤔

I think the answer to that is pretty simple and its called a scoreboard. Wins and losses are easy to quantify and they are in your face every Friday night during the season. Graduation rates and test scores can be quantified but unless they are of the charts bad they rarely get much attention.

I think its pretty fair to say that for most of us who post on these types of forums we have a slightly biased view. Most of us played, in some cases coached and most often had kids who played. We are beyond passionate about the sport and understand the value of great coaches. To this day I owe a ton of  the credit for any success I have had in the business world to two coaches. I dont believe in natural born leadership qualities. I believe that you see great ones and try to duplicate what they do. Great coaching has that kind of impact.

I read the editorial and what the author misses is impact that becomes hard quantify. I will use the two examples that I have the most familiarity with-

When Brand took over at Vance that program was laughable in many ways. AB didnt just build a football program he instilled   energy, passion and a certain edge to a school that needed it. That is a special skill set and should be paid accordingly no matter what the profession. AB would be a succes in anything he chose to do......he just decided to use his talent coaching kids at a game.

A guy like Palmieri takes a program from scratch and builds it into a national brand. I travel for a living and wear my Creek gear just about everywhere. Cant tell you how many people on the East Coast recognize the name or ask about the program. Mallard Creek operates on a shoe string budget and yet travel to places like Hoover, AL and will play on ESPN. How much is that guy worth to a school. What does it look like when he leaves??   Go look at Indy for a snap shot.

Its easy to look at a P@L or cash statement and make an educated guess how much a COO or CEO is worth. Much harder to look at the impact of a person who can change the direction of a kids life or a high school. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wrigley said:

I think the answer to that is pretty simple and its called a scoreboard. Wins and losses are easy to quantify and they are in your face every Friday night during the season. Graduation rates and test scores can be quantified but unless they are of the charts bad they rarely get much attention.

I think its pretty fair to say that for most of us who post on these types of forums we have a slightly biased view. Most of us played, in some cases coached and most often had kids who played. We are beyond passionate about the sport and understand the value of great coaches. To this day I owe a ton of  the credit for any success I have had in the business world to two coaches. I dont believe in natural born leadership qualities. I believe that you see great ones and try to duplicate what they do. Great coaching has that kind of impact.

I read the editorial and what the author misses is impact that becomes hard quantify. I will use the two examples that I have the most familiarity with-

When Brand took over at Vance that program was laughable in many ways. AB didnt just build a football program he instilled   energy, passion and a certain edge to a school that needed it. That is a special skill set and should be paid accordingly no matter what the profession. AB would be a succes in anything he chose to do......he just decided to use his talent coaching kids at a game.

A guy like Palmieri takes a program from scratch and builds it into a national brand. I travel for a living and wear my Creek gear just about everywhere. Cant tell you how many people on the East Coast recognize the name or ask about the program. Mallard Creek operates on a shoe string budget and yet travel to places like Hoover, AL and will play on ESPN. How much is that guy worth to a school. What does it look like when he leaves??   Go look at Indy for a snap shot.

Its easy to look at a P@L or cash statement and make an educated guess how much a COO or CEO is worth. Much harder to look at the impact of a person who can change the direction of a kids life or a high school. 

Couldn't said it better myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wrigley said:

I think the answer to that is pretty simple and its called a scoreboard. Wins and losses are easy to quantify and they are in your face every Friday night during the season. Graduation rates and test scores can be quantified but unless they are of the charts bad they rarely get much attention.

I think its pretty fair to say that for most of us who post on these types of forums we have a slightly biased view. Most of us played, in some cases coached and most often had kids who played. We are beyond passionate about the sport and understand the value of great coaches. To this day I owe a ton of  the credit for any success I have had in the business world to two coaches. I dont believe in natural born leadership qualities. I believe that you see great ones and try to duplicate what they do. Great coaching has that kind of impact.

I read the editorial and what the author misses is impact that becomes hard quantify. I will use the two examples that I have the most familiarity with-

When Brand took over at Vance that program was laughable in many ways. AB didnt just build a football program he instilled   energy, passion and a certain edge to a school that needed it. That is a special skill set and should be paid accordingly no matter what the profession. AB would be a succes in anything he chose to do......he just decided to use his talent coaching kids at a game.

A guy like Palmieri takes a program from scratch and builds it into a national brand. I travel for a living and wear my Creek gear just about everywhere. Cant tell you how many people on the East Coast recognize the name or ask about the program. Mallard Creek operates on a shoe string budget and yet travel to places like Hoover, AL and will play on ESPN. How much is that guy worth to a school. What does it look like when he leaves??   Go look at Indy for a snap shot.

Its easy to look at a P@L or cash statement and make an educated guess how much a COO or CEO is worth. Much harder to look at the impact of a person who can change the direction of a kids life or a high school. 

Couldn't of said it better myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain how salaries for coaches work in SC?  We see coaches leave NC for more money down there, but I’m never clear how it is that they get paid so much.  Does the legislature down there allow systems the flexibility to pay coaches that much or does some other source supplement their income?  Do they have contracts that guarantee so much with bonuses for production, like college coaches, or are their salaries structured in some other way to get to six figures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salaries are set by the state in SC. But, each county or district can supplement coaches income how they see fit. So some areas pay great and other areas pay not so great. I know that a friend of mine got a job in SC that made him the AD and HFC where he almost doubled his salary and no teaching responsibilities. SC just values football more then NC. They make it happen for the coaches to have the resources they need to develop students and the program. That's it. But, you better win or you gone. Look at Hal Capps example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the program is bringing in revenue to warrant the salary, then by all means.  As far as administration goes, there is a lot that goes into being an administrator.  A coach is responsible for his players, an administrator is responsible for all lives in the building, at all times.  Their pay is warranted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100K sounds about right for a year long position with the expectations tied to it. The problem is that everyone else does it for so much less with other responsibilities out of need eek out a living  and other than some administration no one every gets paid their worth in education.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RaiderDebater said:

If the program is bringing in revenue to warrant the salary, then by all means.  As far as administration goes, there is a lot that goes into being an administrator.  A coach is responsible for his players, an administrator is responsible for all lives in the building, at all times.  Their pay is warranted.

Warranted provided the results reflect the pay. I dont know what the oversight looks like so its hard for me to speak knowledgeably about the subject.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fumblerooski said:

100K sounds about right for a year long position with the expectations tied to it. The problem is that everyone else does it for so much less with other responsibilities out of need eek out a living  and other than some administration no one every gets paid their worth in education.

Amen, brotha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wrigley said:

Warranted provided the results reflect the pay. I dont know what the oversight looks like so its hard for me to speak knowledgeably about the subject.

Oh, absolutely.  As with coaching, if you as an administrator (I can only speak for high school) are not meeting expectations for an extended period of time, then a change needs to be made.  Education is a results-driven business.  It is a business, make no mistake about it.  Its just as cut-throat as coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not every coach in SC makes that much. Head coaches in the smaller schools do not. Assistant coaches do not. Even fewer of the other sports coaches make that much. If a HC does not teach then his money comes from somewhere other than the state. It could all come from the boosters club. That is why if you do not win you can be fired. I will say that when I was in Cabarrus County teaching and coaching plus teaching Driver Education before school, after school, on Saturdays and holidays as well as during the summer my salary was close to what they (SC HC) were making back during that time. Some administrators complained that I was making more than them. My boss (who was an associate superintendent) reminded them that if they wanted to work from 5 AM to 9 PM they could make that much as well. Coaches put in the time so why should they not be compensated. In most cases more than they are. I will also agree that teachers do not make anywhere what they are worth. My wife was a Kindergarten teacher and I will tell you that she put far more time into her job (night and weekends) than I did in my teaching job. Her salary should have been doubled. When I see adults come up to her and tell her how much they appreciate her for what she did for them when they were inn her class it makes me realize just how really valuable she was. My son and  daughter loved school all the way from k-college, all because of the influence their Kindergarten had on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also like to pose a question on this subject. If every high school in NC payed its HC $100,000.00 a year where would you suggest this money come from? With colleges it is a total different situation. The support clubs (Rams Club, Wolfpack Club, etc.) supplements the amount over what the state pays, plus the ticket sales, as well as TV revenue, etc. These things are not a part of the HS scene. Very few high school football programs generate that much gate revenue. So, in this day and age when the state paints the bleak picture it paints when the schools ask for more money for teacher raises as well as classroom supplies and school maintenance and construction, where will this money come from. One huge thing that sticks out in my mind was several years ago when they used the term Education Lottery to get this passed it was touted as extra money for education. They forgot to tell us that the money that they were already giving education was not going to be supplemented with this Education Lottery. Instead, it was going to be replaced by this new found source of money. That meant we were no better off than we were before the lottery.  My main question was where did the original money go. Now we are back where we started from. Had it supplemented the existing $$$$ it would have solved all our problems. Now, give me your solutions. BTW until June 17 I have far too much time on my hands. After June 17 you will not have to endure my epistles as much. If I had only taken typing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Not every coach in SC makes that much. Head coaches in the smaller schools do not. Assistant coaches do not. Even fewer of the other sports coaches make that much. If a HC does not teach then his money comes from somewhere other than the state. It could all come from the boosters club. That is why if you do not win you can be fired. I will say that when I was in Cabarrus County teaching and coaching plus teaching Driver Education before school, after school, on Saturdays and holidays as well as during the summer my salary was close to what they (SC HC) were making back during that time. Some administrators complained that I was making more than them. My boss (who was an associate superintendent) reminded them that if they wanted to work from 5 AM to 9 PM they could make that much as well. Coaches put in the time so why should they not be compensated. In most cases more than they are. I will also agree that teachers do not make anywhere what they are worth. My wife was a Kindergarten teacher and I will tell you that she put far more time into her job (night and weekends) than I did in my teaching job. Her salary should have been doubled. When I see adults come up to her and tell her how much they appreciate her for what she did for them when they were inn her class it makes me realize just how really valuable she was. My son and  daughter loved school all the way from k-college, all because of the influence their Kindergarten had on them.

That’s one of my biggest peeves. People that count other people’s pockets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glenn said:

I would also like to pose a question on this subject. If every high school in NC payed its HC $100,000.00 a year where would you suggest this money come from? With colleges it is a total different situation. The support clubs (Rams Club, Wolfpack Club, etc.) supplements the amount over what the state pays, plus the ticket sales, as well as TV revenue, etc. These things are not a part of the HS scene. Very few high school football programs generate that much gate revenue. So, in this day and age when the state paints the bleak picture it paints when the schools ask for more money for teacher raises as well as classroom supplies and school maintenance and construction, where will this money come from. One huge thing that sticks out in my mind was several years ago when they used the term Education Lottery to get this passed it was touted as extra money for education. They forgot to tell us that the money that they were already giving education was not going to be supplemented with this Education Lottery. Instead, it was going to be replaced by this new found source of money. That meant we were no better off than we were before the lottery.  My main question was where did the original money go. Now we are back where we started from. Had it supplemented the existing $$$$ it would have solved all our problems. Now, give me your solutions. BTW until June 17 I have far too much time on my hands. After June 17 you will not have to endure my epistles as much. If I had only taken typing.

Formulate it just like SC. Let the community decide how important that position is to them and if the booster club or deep pocketed supporters want to get together and throw some cash and other perks on top of the base salary have at it. It would be the only way you could finance it. Would it be a case of have and have nots?? Sure...but in many ways you are already there. You think Hough is getting all those transfers because Matt Jenkins is so charismatic??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that is fairly constant no matter where you are at or what you do... people think they are not paid enough and that other people are paid too much.  Maybe that’s 2 things but you get my point.

In a market driven society... most people make what they are worth. Others go into career fields that will never be paid as much because their job field does not produce profit. Profit drives salaries typically.  If a coach can command a 100k salary... good for ‘em. Somebody in that community wants to win bad enough to find a way to pony up for their guy. As others have mentioned, it’s going to come from deep pocketed boosters or a booster club. If somebody is putting up the coin, they get a say on hiring & firing. Results will be insisted upon. It’s just the way the world works.

We ( many of us) probably disagree about who is & isn’t  under or overpaid. That’s fine.

I’ll say this... I never in my life have done a job better or worse based on how much I got paid.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll say this... I never in my life have done a job better or worse based on how much I got paid.

 Amen Brother Conner P. Me neither. I have indicated on several occasions that I love what I am doing and I love where I am doing it. At this point in my life I would not leave EG  for any amount of money. People think I am crazy but that is the truth. Why would I want tio leave why home, friends and family to have to start over? Now, if I was in my 20's - 50's I probably would, but not now. I once was money driven, but not now. I am happiness driven. Let's get one thing straight in that I am not critical towards those who do or their reasons why. If I lived along the border of the states that we border and a higher paying job became available that was within 30 minutes of my home I probably would go once I got my 30 years in NC. I did that once when I drove to a small HS north of Danville for 1 1/2 years teaching and coaching FB but the hour drive became a dreaded thing that I did not look forward to everyday, so I quit after the first semester and found a job back at NE Guilford coaching FB. At that point my teaching days were over. I have never regretted that decision. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think Hough is getting all those transfers because Matt Jenkins is so charismatic??

Transfers. That brings up another interesting topic. You mean he is not? LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Glenn said:

 So, in this day and age when the state paints the bleak picture it paints when the schools ask for more money for teacher raises as well as classroom supplies and school maintenance and construction, where will this money come from. 

Getting rid of the people that say this nonsense would be the first step.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fumblerooski, I agree with you. I actually think a lot of the public agree with the county commisioners. Especially those people who do not see the need for these things. In Alamance County most of the people seem to be against building a new HS to alleviate the overcrowding at EA and SA. They want these schools to bring in more mobile units. They do not understand that this will not solve the problem that is going to just continue to get worse. So, you can imagine that these same people are against teacher raises  so coaches raises are totally off the table as far as they are concerned. They seem to be against anything EDUCATION related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn... How can you say “most” when Alamance just passed a $160 million bond to build that very high school? Your thought process on this specific issue is way off track. I’m very close to this situation & would be more than happy to discuss it with you off forum. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×