Rate this topic

IMO Watauga is still the favorite until someone knocks them off the Mountain literally lol. They do such a great job formatting and out flanking you offensively. Habich knows it’s the great equalizer. Not sold on hickory. Again their non conference is the toughest I’ve seen in years so they will be battled tested. AC has got to stop people on D. Their secondary against athletic teams last season really showed the chinks in the armor. Again JV team has won 100 in a row or who’s counting anymore. But JV wins don’t always translate to Friday nights. A lot of teams bring sophomores even a freshman or two up on varsity these days. So they have not played against the best until typically their junior years. With other team those kids having played varsity a year or two makes a huge difference. Freedom the pondering question remains are they ready to make the push. So many changes the last 7 years The Blair Hardin era, the Brandon Allen era. The one night stand with Jim Bob Bryant. No question athletes are in place Birchfield is the best offensive player in the league and you can say the WR Dez Caldwell is the most explosive player in the league. That tandem Creates problems but will the stars align. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out  

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, Pats86 said:

The one night stand with Jim Bob. That's freaking hilarious!!!

It’s appropriate because he did get ......ed. Didn’t even get a kiss or spoon after the sheets settled.

• Haha 2

#1 Watauga 8-3 (5-1)

#1 Freedom 8-3 (5-1)

#3 AC 7-4 (4-2)

#4 St Stephens 7-4 (3-3)

#5 Hickory 6-5 (3-3)

#6 McDowell 3-8(1-5)

#7 South Caldwell 2-9(0-6)

Here are my predictions.

FREEDOM 

Shelby -L

Draughn-W

East Burke-W

Patton-W

Crest-L

St. Stephens-W

Hickory-W

AC-W

South Caldwell-W

Watauga-L

McDowell-W

WATAUGA

TC Roberson-W

Ashe-W

Reagan-L

Wilkes-W

Ashbrook-W

South Caldwell-W

Alexander Central-L

Hickory-W

St Stephens-W

McDowell-W

Freedom-W

ALEXANDER CENTRAL

Hibriten-W

Wilkes-W

Statesville-L

South Iredell-W

Olympic-L

Watauga-W

Freedom-L

McDowell-W

St Stephens-W

Hickory-L

South Caldwell-W

HICKORY

Statesville-W

Hibriten-L

Newton-W

Huss-W

Reagan-L

McDowell-W

Freedom-L

Watauga-L

South Caldwell-W

Alexander Central-W

St Stephens-L

St STEVENS

Bandys-L

Bunker Hill-W

Maiden-L

Foard-W

Freedom-L

McDowell-W

North Iredell-W

Watauga-L

Alexander Central-W

South Caldwell-W

Hickory-W

Mc DOWELL

R-S Central-W

East Burke-W

Patton-L

Mitchell-L

Hickory-L

St Stephens-L

South Caldwell-W

Alexander-L

Watauga-L

Freedom-L

SOUTH CALDWELL

West Caldwell-W

Maiden-L

Bandys-L

Hibriten-L

R-S Central-W

Watauga-L

McDowell-L

Freedom-L

Hickory-L

St Stephens-L

Alexander-L

2 hours ago, Schmo said:

Don’t understand if the family knew ultimately he was going to stay why even move him to begin with. Definitely makes them the favorite again. Sattersfield is a running back playing B-back which makes him a threat to hit a home run every play. Strange situation to say the least. 

• Thanks 1

With Bryce Satterfield returning for the Pioneers, I think this does elevate them as the preseason favorite in the conference.  

Watauga has the best coach and now arguably the best player in the conference returning. I think you have to make them favorite given the past few seasons. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, titanman27 said:

Watauga has the best coach and now arguably the best player in the conference returning. I think you have to make them favorite given the past few seasons. 

Agree 100% for the most part, and I agree that Habich is an incredible coach, but this conference is full of some great veteran coaches too (Stone, Carter, Little, Brewer, Hicks, and so on...)

3 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Agree 100% for the most part, and I agree that Habich is an incredible coach, but this conference is full of some great veteran coaches too (Stone, Carter, Little, Brewer, Hicks, and so on...)

Yes I agree with that. However, you can argue that Habich has done more with less at Watauga and deserves the nod. This may be the season Hickory really challenges for the title, if they can ever improve defensively..

On 8/2/2019 at 8:13 PM, GDG said:

It’s appropriate because he did get ......ed. Didn’t even get a kiss or spoon after the sheets settled.

Actually didn't even wrinkle the bed sheets lol!

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 2:41 PM, NC2B said:

Hickory is coming. Not sure if it is this year but they are loading up with athletes.

Hickory has some big boy hold outs but they may make it to the field this year. They also have the best halfback in the conference. They will go 6’5” and 6’7” on the ends with a 6’4” wide out. QB position will need to evolve. Big key for them is turnout numbers (low) and need some guys to commit to playing. Stone threw quite a bit last year and he probably will again. The trench kids better get in shape because they are not getting any rest.

I maybe wrong but looking at the MaxPrep roster Hickory  looks like they have a respectable amount of players with some size. I think this could be a better year for them than the last two years. South Iredell will be scrimmaging them on Aug 16. I wouldn’t be surprised if South has a hard time against them. I am planning on attending that matchup. 

10 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I maybe wrong but looking at the MaxPrep roster Hickory  looks like they have a respectable amount of players with some size. I think this could be a better year for them than the last two years. South Iredell will be scrimmaging them on Aug 16. I wouldn’t be surprised if South has a hard time against them. I am planning on attending that matchup. 

They are still small overall by today’s standards. Speed should be their asset. Stone has a great relationship with players and seems to get a lot out of his players. On a side note- former Hickory High golfer JT Poston won the PGA tournament this weekend. Congrats to that man for making it to the big time. Earned himself a tour exemption. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, GDG said:

Hickory has some big boy hold outs but they may make it to the field this year. They also have the best halfback in the conference. They will go 6’5” and 6’7” on the ends with a 6’4” wide out. QB position will need to evolve. Big key for them is turnout numbers (low) and need some guys to commit to playing. Stone threw quite a bit last year and he probably will again. The trench kids better get in shape because they are not getting any rest.

As I posted earlier, Hickory is a Wild Card.  They could fall as low as 5 and could win the conference if things go well.  I think overall they are 4th but they could knock off one or two of the teams pegged in front of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Schmo said:

As I posted earlier, Hickory is a Wild Card.  They could fall as low as 5 and could win the conference if things go well.  I think overall they are 4th but they could knock off one or two of the teams pegged in front of them.

That's a very accurate portrayal.  

Watauga has to be the favorite now for sure. Satt tore it up down at Wilkes Central last year. Was a great game for 3 Qts. Game was only 14-7 Watauga at halftime but Watauga had just to much for WC in the 2nd half and wore them down.

Everything I’ve heard up this point. Freedom may have the most talented team they have had since the 2014-2015 season. Navy Commit Birchfield  at QB is the real deal. With the JR WR Caldwell already receiving interest from Notre Dame, West Virginia and ECU. We will find out a lot more about the patriots this Saturday when they scrimmage at Newton Conover. 6pm start.  Watauga goes to Maiden at 10am. It’s the talent and speed of freedom versus the discipline and structure of Watauga. Which one prevails. If I’m Alexander I have a huge boulder on my shoulders. And butch carter will have the cougars ready for both of these matchups. Hickory has 23 seniors according to pre- season articles this may be the make or break year for hickory. This league is Essentially a 4 team race to the November skies. Getting closer and I know all football fans can’t wait !

I've watched Alexander Central practice a bit.  This is the most physically talented Cougar team that I  have ever seen overall.  I've seen some players that were better but not as many good players on one AC Team. A lot of these guys could play anywhere.  It should be a good season, maybe very good.  Hellish schedule with Hibriten, Wilkes Central, South Iredell, Statesville, and Olympic before the conference season begins.  

6 hours ago, Schmo said:

I've watched Alexander Central practice a bit.  This is the most physically talented Cougar team that I  have ever seen overall.  I've seen some players that were better but not as many good players on one AC Team. A lot of these guys could play anywhere.  It should be a good season, maybe very good.  Hellish schedule with Hibriten, Wilkes Central, South Iredell, Statesville, and Olympic before the conference season begins.  

Hopefully the non-conf schedule and the few tougher league tilts will pay off come November. 

That to me is the toughest challenge our league has, even the upper tier...are the teams battle tested enough to win playoff games?

Watauga has been the only team in the league the past couple seasons to show that they are ready. 

Freedom is a good example IMO of how scheduling can sometimes be a deterrent to long term success. Yes, they schedule Shelby right off the bat, then they go two months without much of a competitive ballgame and in the blink of an eye they find themselves in a struggle against the likes of a Watauga.

Then a few weeks later they come across the likes of a Monroe or Rockingham County in the playoffs and bad matchups occur.

I would bet Coach Little had that in mind when they booked Crest once the West Caldwell departure created an opening. 

2 hours ago, TitanNation79 said:

Hopefully the non-conf schedule and the few tougher league tilts will pay off come November. 

That to me is the toughest challenge our league has, even the upper tier...are the teams battle tested enough to win playoff games?

Watauga has been the only team in the league the past couple seasons to show that they are ready. 

Freedom is a good example IMO of how scheduling can sometimes be a deterrent to long term success. Yes, they schedule Shelby right off the bat, then they go two months without much of a competitive ballgame and in the blink of an eye they find themselves in a struggle against the likes of a Watauga.

Then a few weeks later they come across the likes of a Monroe or Rockingham County in the playoffs and bad matchups occur.

I would bet Coach Little had that in mind when they booked Crest once the West Caldwell departure created an opening. 

100% Facts about Freedom. 2013 was probably a state championship contender. No disrespect but when you play the likes of East Burke, Draughn and Patton. I read the average  margins of victory has been 50-6 against EB. 52-8 Draughn and 45-14 against Patton. 3 straight weeks of trying to keep your team up and ready to play. Last years team was the last of the Renegades from the Brandon Allen brigade. Those Seniors went through the worst spell of bad luck 3 coaches in 4 years. Adding Crest is Huge for the patriots. If you went 7-4 and lost to the big 4 on the schedule you would probably still have a Stronger maxpreps ratings than other teams.  The question is are they discipline enough to sustain 4 good quarters against Watauga? 4A McDowell schedules includes 3 2As and 1A???? 1,800 vs the likes of 500 like Mitchell. And still manage to have a losing record. 

The loss of West Caldwell in the league did create some scheduling panic.  It's tough to schedule a game a year out, most are done in a 4-5 year window.  The ratings do play something of a roll in the playoff pecking order now so getting non-conference wins is a plus if you don't win the league outright.  Let's face it, teams look for a gate too.  You can't blame them but some teams should always play each other even if they're not in the same conference.  I can attest that Alexander Central did not play Hickory in the years they were in the North Piedmont Conference and it was a bad decision in my opinion.  True, Hickory does not travel well but that game should be played every year.  It rings the bell in Taylorsville more than any other game.  When the Cougars play at Hickory, they'll sometimes put close to double the fans in the stands as the home Hickory team.  Same in other communities too, for instance South Iredell and Mooresville are not playing this year, that game should be an absolute.  Speaking of Mooresville, that non-league schedule is a BEAST !

The problem for Freedom is that we almost have to play EB, Draughn and Patton (the latter being the only one to beat us-once-since the new schools were built).  It’s a bigger gate than we are likely to get than playing an opponent from outside the county and everyone saves a little on travel costs.  I have been told that Draughn and EB have asked not to play us, but that the system has told them that they must.  We have had fine teams recently, but also bad luck.  2013 Pats, for example, lost by one to Forestview after leading by 13 with six minutes left.  Their best player best our best player on an out pattern on a clutch fourth down and caught a perfect pass.  But we had good competition from Hickory, Watauga and Hibriten that season, so that team had been tested.  2014 team was also great, but fumbled something like nine times on a rainy night and also lost by one in the playoffs.

Really glad Crest and Freedom are getting back together.  Really miss being in a conference with them. Always enjoyed the trips to Freedom in all sports.

• Like 2

Freedom has always had hibritens number it seems, unfortunately over the last couple years we have not been able to play freedom. Would love to see that rematch sometime!! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Schmo said:

The loss of West Caldwell in the league did create some scheduling panic.  It's tough to schedule a game a year out, most are done in a 4-5 year window.

FYI: McDowell has a 10-game schedule in 2019 for that reason and the kicker is...that would have been a home game had West stayed in the league. 

8 hours ago, Trooper1989 said:

How did teams look yesterday in scrimmages ? 

I would say Alexander Central looked only fair in their scrimmage against Bandys.  When I left the Cougars had scored 4 times and Bandys had yet to score but it's obvious the team has no shortage of things to work on.  Offensive line was less than effective in pass blocking is what stood out to me.  Defense was pretty solid despite a number of starters not playing.  Look for improvement when they scrimmage Maiden Thursday night. 

16 hours ago, Mgtn-native said:

How did Freedom look in Saturday scrimmage??

Heard RB looked really good and ran hard, Birchfield looked good as well threw a few strikes for TDs. Caldwell ran by forestview for a 50 yard TD catch. Defense looked solid much more athletic in some spots. Birchfield also played FS and is very imposing back there at 6’3”. Offense will put up big numbers ! If the defense comes along. They can beat Watauga. Freedom passing attacks sounds like it one of the better ones in the state. 

• Like 1

That's good to hear.  I think the RB for Freedom could be a sleeper this season.  Everyone knows Birchfield and Mudbone will put up good numbers but if the running game gets going watch out.  This offense could be dangerous.  Defenses will have to choose either blitz Birchfield and get beat by Mudbone over top or play deep and let Freedom run it??  Freedom is much more prepared this season to play Shelby than they were last year.  Plus they have them at home. 

4 hours ago, SLands said:

How did the scrimmage go for McDowell today ? Heard they went against West Caldwell .

If your a keeping score guy in these scrimmages, it went WC 13 MHS 7

4 minutes ago, Trooper1989 said:

Whew! McDowell is in trouble

I knew it would be tough to replace basically all of the skill positions from last years 4 win team and with the new system and coach I knew there would be growing pains but..if they are struggling that bad with West Caldwell.. a winless season is possible 

21 minutes ago, SLands said:

Well maybe West Caldwell will be a little better this year. 

No way they gave up almost 60 ppg last year. I know they brought old school coach in. But they were bad last season. I guess we shall see in a week.