Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hickory is coming. Not sure if it is this year but they are loading up with athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Watagua 9-2, 5-1

2. Freedom 9-2, 5-1

3. Alexander Central 8-3, 4-2

4. Hickory 6-5, 3-3

5. St. Stephens 5-6, 2-4

6. South Caldwell 4-7, 2-4

7. McDowell 1-9, 0-6

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MHHS09 said:

1. Watagua 9-2, 5-1

2. Freedom 9-2, 5-1

3. Alexander Central 8-3, 4-2

4. Hickory 6-5, 3-3

5. St. Stephens 5-6, 2-4

6. South Caldwell 4-7, 2-4

7. McDowell 1-9, 0-6

 

+1 agreed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two 4A schools in the conference and most people have them here as last and next to last (probably right too).  No shortage of athletes at either place, but loads of work to do to get the football teams up to snuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schmo should be here shortly to tell you how AC will go undefeated in the conference and be State title contenders.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 8:46 AM, El Campion said:

Switch Hickory and AC. How is McDowell so bad? A one county high school? Not being competitive? Sad

I’m not sure they’ll only win one game but I can’t see them winning more than 4 games, RS Central, East Burke, South Caldwell and potentially St. Stephens, I’m not sure what the deal is down in Marion, McDowell is comparable to some of the other mountain teams that have struggled in football only they have something like 5 times as many students, close by teams like Heritage and Mitchell who have been successful in football recently would kill for some of the athletes that have played at McDowell, they seem to be competitive in other sports it’s just football that they struggle with, I’d say the best thing they could do is to hire a former player that’s passionate about the job that the admin won’t kick out after 2-3 losing seasons, and eventually they’ll see a turn around in the culture, the only question is can they find the right guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freedom is a solid favorite in my opinion.  They should be very strong on offense.  Watauga will be good but I think they won't be quite as good as last year.  Alexander Central will field the most athletic team in memory.  They lose Chapman on the defensive line and that's a huge loss but they will be better against the pass with some improved play in the defensive backfield.  Hickory could be dangerous depending on who they develop at quarterback. 

Freedom

Alexander Central

Watauga

Hickory

Shuffle it however you like after that, pretty big gap after the first four. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get what you asked for!  Stop recycling the same coaches!

 

MCDOWELL - With just over two months until the start of the 2019 football season, McDowell High School has hired its new head football coach.

Darrell Brewer, a former head coach at Avery High School, takes over for Andy Morgan, who resigned in May to take an assistant coaching position at Reynolds High School.

Brewer, 48, becomes the ninth head football coach at McDowell. He served as defensive coordinator at Cloudland (Tenn.) High last year.

Brewer went 68-71 at Avery County, taking the Vikings to the playoffs once in 11 years. McDowell has only had two winning seasons since 2001 and produced a combined 6-17 record the last two years since leaving the Western Mountain Athletic Conference for the split Northwestern 3A/4A conference.  

McDowell opens the season on the road against R-S Central on Aug. 23. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WNC Football said:

taking the Vikings to the playoffs once in 11 years

As far as I remember he took Avery to the playoffs every year he was there making it to the second round six times and making it to the third round twice, he also had three 10+ win seasons in 04, 05, 10. His two worst seasons he went 2-10 in 2008 and 3-9 in 2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are trolling because McDowell didn't choose Minor. Coach Brewer has a good track record coaching at a tiny mountain school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, titanman27 said:

They are trolling because McDowell didn't choose Minor. Coach Brewer has a good track record coaching at a tiny mountain school. 

2011thru 2014 in conference  Avery under Brewer was 6-20 must have been a tough conference!! Time will tell if they made the right choice. Word is the superintendent of Mcdowell county was from Avery when Coach Brewer was coaching there this said a lot for the coaching hire they made!!Some time it come down to who you know not the best coach for the job!!Good luck to Mcdowell this up coming year!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am already hearing good things in community about Brewer hire.  Lots of parents glad hiring process was pretty quick and players excited to get the season going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Yislander said:

Just over 3 weeks from Morgan's resignation to Brewer's hire.....that's lightening speed in the land of school system hires. 

We had been hearing rumors about Morgan leaving for over 6 months he was just waiting for a job to open up!!They needed to make a quick turn around the kids are ready to get to working out for sure!!Still don't know why he wanted to leave Mcdowell with one school in that county seems like a great job!!you just never know what is going on in the program for sure!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catawba Valley Football said:

Any news on how any of these teams have looked in 7 on 7s so far? Or summer workout numbers?

Alexander Central is really having some great numbers.  A lot of buzz around the program.  Some players will be switching positions for 2019 in part due to an influx of some nice talent from the JV team that hasn't lost a game in nearly 3 years. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who all was competing in it? I saw on Butch Carters Twitter that Alexander won it which is kinda surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, HIBRITEN92 said:

Should be a good first one in lenoir,,, hope the panthers can hang in there!!

are you kidding me!?  the AC JVs are the NE Patriots of the Nobody gives a damn about JV Football league.....

HHS will be lucky to even score and stay withing 6 TDs.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 4:54 PM, Hibriten said:

are you kidding me!?  the AC JVs are the NE Patriots of the Nobody gives a damn about JV Football league.....

HHS will be lucky to even score and stay withing 6 TDs.

LOL. I hear this JV stuff every year. And then what? Exit stage left from the varsity. If I were a 4A school playing in 3A by not counting all my kids I would have 50 JV kids as well. I don’t like how these schools manipulate their enrollment to move down. 

Edited by GDG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, WNC Football said:

You get what you asked for!  Stop recycling the same coaches!

 

MCDOWELL - With just over two months until the start of the 2019 football season, McDowell High School has hired its new head football coach.

Darrell Brewer, a former head coach at Avery High School, takes over for Andy Morgan, who resigned in May to take an assistant coaching position at Reynolds High School.

Brewer, 48, becomes the ninth head football coach at McDowell. He served as defensive coordinator at Cloudland (Tenn.) High last year.

Brewer went 68-71 at Avery County, taking the Vikings to the playoffs once in 11 years. McDowell has only had two winning seasons since 2001 and produced a combined 6-17 record the last two years since leaving the Western Mountain Athletic Conference for the split Northwestern 3A/4A conference.  

McDowell opens the season on the road against R-S Central on Aug. 23. 

I was just now looking at this thread. The Asheville paper got it wrong. Brewer took Avery to the playoffs all 11 years. Even when Avery didn’t have a good record they played teams tough in the playoffs. When you are a 1a team you are going to have up and down years.

Wonder how good Watauga will be with Satterfield going to school in Kentucky now. Watauga has a great coach that’s has a lot to do with their recent success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Freedom finally get over the Watauga hump?

does AC JV group translate the win streak up to the varsity level?

Hickory more athletes than anybody in the league. The first 4 weeks will tell a lot about their season(comments)

Does McDowell turn the tide with Brewer at the helm and finally get them contending for the conference title? 

A lot of questions in the NWC 3A-4A would like to hear the opinions of others.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Trooper1989 said:

Can Freedom finally get over the Watauga hump?

does AC JV group translate the win streak up to the varsity level?

Hickory more athletes than anybody in the league. The first 4 weeks will tell a lot about their season(comments)

Does McDowell turn the tide with Brewer at the helm and finally get them contending for the conference title? 

A lot of questions in the NWC 3A-4A would like to hear the opinions of others.....

I have also heard that South Caldwell will be much better this year due to returning so many players. I still think the top is Watauga, Freedom, AC, and Hickory in that order. South Caldwell at 5, McDowell at 6 and possibly St. Stephens rounding out the bottom. I have not heard much about St. Stephens or McDowell. Anybody know any details about these schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catawba Valley Football said:

I have also heard that South Caldwell will be much better this year due to returning so many players. I still think the top is Watauga, Freedom, AC, and Hickory in that order. South Caldwell at 5, McDowell at 6 and possibly St. Stephens rounding out the bottom. I have not heard much about St. Stephens or McDowell. Anybody know any details about these schools?

McDowell lost quite a bit from last season including the QB and top WR and RB. The JV team however was pretty solid and was 4-3 in the conference. A lot of those players will move up this year. They will also be running a new offense the Wing T. Look for more if a power running game from McDowell. The spread never really made sense for them since they normally did not have the team speed to run it properly vs the likes of Hickory and Freedom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, titanman27 said:

McDowell lost quite a bit from last season including the QB and top WR and RB. The JV team however was pretty solid and was 4-3 in the conference. A lot of those players will move up this year. They will also be running a new offense the Wing T. Look for more if a power running game from McDowell. The spread never really made sense for them since they normally did not have the team speed to run it properly vs the likes of Hickory and Freedom.

I agree that McDowell didn't seem to have what's needed to run the spread.  South Caldwell tried it and it took away from what they had built the program on which was running behind a big, strong, offensive line.  They've gone back to their roots.  Good Luck to the Titans in 2019

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Schmo said:

I agree that McDowell didn't seem to have what's needed to run the spread.  South Caldwell tried it and it took away from what they had built the program on which was running behind a big, strong, offensive line.  They've gone back to their roots.  Good Luck to the Titans in 2019

Thank you! If the Titans can win a few of their nonconference games they may finish similar to last season. I don't expect a lot of regression from the 4 wins last year but it may take time to run the offense smoothly. 

McDowell plays RS Central, Patton, Mitchell, and East Burke out of conference and needs to win at least 2 of those games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be interesting to see if Freedom can play defense.  If they can, watch out !  They're going to score points and score them in bunches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freedom has had so much turnover at head coach it's no wonder they haven't been able to get a conference title. You're right though. The offense will be explosive for sure. Can they beat Watauga though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, titanman27 said:

Can they beat Watauga though? 

I’m still not sold on whether or not Watauga should even be considered the favorite, or even second. They simply lost too much talent from last season. 

Now they’ve got one of, if not the best coach in the conference, and the scheme is tough to defend and they execute flawlessly, but from a talent perspective I still think Alexander Central and Freedom are considerably ahead, and with some new beefed up lineman and added size at Hickory, they’re a wild card to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’m still not sold on whether or not Watauga should even be considered the favorite, or even second. They simply lost too much talent from last season. 

Now they’ve got one of, if not the best coach in the conference, and the scheme is tough to defend and they execute flawlessly, but from a talent perspective I still think Alexander Central and Freedom are considerably ahead, and with some new beefed up lineman and added size at Hickory, they’re a wild card to consider. 

I agree that other teams like Freedom, Alex. Central and even Hickory may have more talent and Watauga did lose a lot but it could be said the past few seasons those teams had more talent and athleticism as well. Anderson Castle is a threat to run and can pass at QB and the system will keep them putting points on the board. Can the defense keep up the level of play? That is the question to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’m still not sold on whether or not Watauga should even be considered the favorite, or even second. They simply lost too much talent from last season. 

Now they’ve got one of, if not the best coach in the conference, and the scheme is tough to defend and they execute flawlessly, but from a talent perspective I still think Alexander Central and Freedom are considerably ahead, and with some new beefed up lineman and added size at Hickory, they’re a wild card to consider. 

Watauga will be tough, they are coached so well. They did lose a lot including Satterfield who went with his father to Louisville.    Alexander Central has perhaps the most talent overall they've had in a long time but the question for them is, can they play better pass defense ?   The Cougars are going to throw more themselves than in the past but can they defend teams that throw will determine if they can win the conference.  Hickory is a wildcard to me, they have talent including the best running back in the conference. Based on Freedom's offense with Crutchfield and a group of very talented receivers, I rate them as the team to beat.  I'll  go with the winner of the AC-Freedom game as the conference champion.     

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×