Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

How will the 3A mountains teams do?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Ok can anyone tell us how the mountain 3A  teams will look for this season. I know there is Asheville Reynolds, Asheville High, Tuscola, Erwin or the ones I may have missed. Usually Reynolds are the top dogs but how well will these other teams look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention Watauga. Last year they did well,  does anyone know if they could be in the top of conference once again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West and TCR are far from mountain powers. Asheville can be pretty good this season and Erwin will be a contender for the WMAC title with ACR. Tuscola will be a little better than .500.

3A in the mountains is really about ACR. Watauga is not a mountain team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Graham said:

Watauga is not a mountain team.

 

With all due respect, sir. What exactly classifies a team as a "Mountain Team" in your opinion? If we were discussing "Kings Mountain", I would agree with you. I'm just a little confused.  🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:
3 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

West and TCR are far from mountain powers. Asheville can be pretty good this season and Erwin will be a contender for the WMAC title with ACR. Tuscola will be a little better than .500.

3A in the mountains is really about ACR. Watauga is not a mountain team.

 

Last time I looked Watauga high school is in Boone and Boone is in the mountains.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watauga is the best Mountain team in the state. Would love to see them ACR and Hibriten battle for best Mountain team 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. AC Reynolds

2. Watauga

3. Erwin

4. Asheville

5. Tuscola

6. TC Roberson

7. West Henderson

8. North Buncombe

9. Enka 

10. North Henderson

This would be my best guess, and I know Watauga isn’t in the WMAC but they are in the Mountains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

With all due respect, sir. What exactly classifies a team as a "Mountain Team" in your opinion? If we were discussing "Kings Mountain", I would agree with you. I'm just a little confused.  🤔

Traditionally Mountain Teams have been from Murphy to about Columbus, east to west and Avery to Transylvania Co. to north to south. Is Watauga in the mountains? Yes but they have been a foothills or western Piedmont team in the past. Does it make sense? Not really but???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Campion said:

Watauga is the best Mountain team in the state. Would love to see them ACR and Hibriten battle for best Mountain team 

I seriously doubt that. Look a little south toward ACR.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen both last year. Watauga would best ACR.  Would be a great game though. Surprised Watauga dont play more Mountain teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Watauga and AC Reynolds would be a good non conference matchup. Would love to see these two teams hook up on their schedule. That would be good money at the gate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its actually a pretty tough drive from Boone to the Asheville area.  Especially on a bus.  Boone is much more accessible from the Hickory/Morganton/Charlotte area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I agree Watauga and AC Reynolds would be a good non conference matchup. Would love to see these two teams hook up on their schedule. That would be good money at the gate. 

I would expect two hour plus drive on an activity bus and a miserable ride.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True and I do see your point with the long drive. I do see how much better for the drive down to Hickory and Morganton area. It would be interested to see these two teams match up. I guess it would have to be the playoffs before these two would matchup if that was to ever happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Mountain" teams, I believe, are historically considered to be in the Asheville Citizen-Times or WLOS coverage areas.  Given both outlets' struggles to remain relevant in HS sports coverage, this can now be open to interpretation.   

Watauga has always been an outlier for one reason or another.   Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, they were isolated as the only 4A school in an area that contained  mostly 1A and 2A schools.   Avery was their big rivalry game and Avery could win on occasion.   They are at the outer edge of both Asheville and Winston-Salem media coverage.  They were pretty bad in the 90's and tended to get a new coach every four years or so.   The job that has been done there over the past decade or so is phenominal.   They had some pretty epic battles with Reynolds and won a great playoff game in Fairview I believe during the Breitenstein era.

I was in HS in the late 70's.  Watauga had a run and won state in 1978.  The AC-T had never really covered them before then or after but that season they did and we noticed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is ACR vs. Watauga all time courtesy of gobiggreen.net

 

2016       AC Reynolds      45           43          

2015       AC Reynolds      43           15          

2014       No Game                                            

2013       No Game                                            

2012       AC Reynolds      51           20          

2011       AC Reynolds      21           14          

2010       AC Reynolds      14           6             

2009       AC Reynolds      19           12          

2008       AC Reynolds      49           0             

2007       Watauga             25           13          

2006       Watauga (4A Playoffs)  24           23          

2006       AC Reynolds      31           6             

2005       AC Reynolds      42           15          

2004       AC Reynolds      46           0             

2003       AC Reynolds      24           2             

2002       AC Reynolds      42           0             

2001       AC Reynolds      55           0

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Campion said:

Question. Why don't MAC schools schedule games against Alcoa, Maryville, or Freedom?

No team in the mountains can play with Maryville or Alcoa. As for Freedom, I don't know? It would be a good match up for Asheville, TCR or ACR.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, Paul Graham said:

No team in the mountains can play with Maryville or Alcoa. As for Freedom, I don't know? It would be a good match up for Asheville, TCR or ACR.

  

I think they played a series with Roberson a few years back, but Freedom usually schedules the other 3 Burke county teams in their non conference schedule, Shelby and Crest will be two tough games for Freedom to win this year but if I were Freedom I would replace East Burke or Draughn with Asheville or Erwin, I don’t really see the point of having two games that are over at halftime on their schedule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East Burke is Freedom's rival from when there were only two high school's in the county.   Now Burke is no different than all the schools in Henderson Co. playing each other, gate $$ for minimal travel. 

As for the (W)MAC, one of the results of a nine team conference is having less non-con games to schedule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AC Reynolds has tried to play Watauga, Freedom, and many others with no success, this is why we have been playing West Forsyth (in past years), Southern Durham (in past years), and this year we are playing East Forsyth and Shelby. We have a very hard time getting teams to play us. We aren't dodging any team and I'm not saying anyone said that, but we have offered to play those teams mentioned above. I promise driving to Winston-Salem and Durham hasn't been by choice. We start this year with back to back games against defending state champions, and scrimmage Crest a week before, so we will be beat up pretty good come week 3 when we play Owen. However, we will be ready for the tough teams come playoff time because we will have played in big games already, it's helped us in the past. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 12:28 PM, Statesville'sMostWanted said:

What will West Henderson have in 2019?

I think we'll be much better than others believe. The team last year was young and hung around in some important games, winning a few. This years team will be the group that went undefeated at Rugby MS and ran through the WMAC JV schedule and went 10-0 two years ago. It's a good group. I'm not going to give some outlandish prediction but to say I think it will be a good squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, gg4bama said:

Here is ACR vs. Watauga all time courtesy of gobiggreen.net

 

2016       AC Reynolds      45           43          

2015       AC Reynolds      43           15          

2014       No Game                                            

2013       No Game                                            

2012       AC Reynolds      51           20          

2011       AC Reynolds      21           14          

2010       AC Reynolds      14           6             

2009       AC Reynolds      19           12          

2008       AC Reynolds      49           0             

2007       Watauga             25           13          

2006       Watauga (4A Playoffs)  24           23          

2006       AC Reynolds      31           6             

2005       AC Reynolds      42           15          

2004       AC Reynolds      46           0             

2003       AC Reynolds      24           2             

2002       AC Reynolds      42           0             

2001       AC Reynolds      55           0

outscored 250-23 before won a game in the series, wow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't seen the guys this offseason nor had I talked to anyone who has seen how they've performed but the Times-News posted a series or pictures on each school. I can definitely tell the guys have been in the weight room and we may even have a little size. If nothing else, they'll look better coming off the bus than in years past. lol. I really hope this team is the real deal.

sqtLzSI.jpg

 

TPlZoND.png

 

YzIkM88.jpg

 

ts0gfQs.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope yall win the conference.  It's about time for some new blood at the top.  The way Mills River is growing... I believe if you ever have that big year it will snowball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Owen Stampede said:

I hope yall win the conference.  It's about time for some new blood at the top.  The way Mills River is growing... I believe if you ever have that big year it will snowball.

Are you going to the Owen/Mcdowell scrimmage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, WestHendersonFalcons said:

I think we'll be much better than others believe. The team last year was young and hung around in some important games, winning a few. This years team will be the group that went undefeated at Rugby MS and ran through the WMAC JV schedule and went 10-0 two years ago. It's a good group. I'm not going to give some outlandish prediction but to say I think it will be a good squad.

I look for West to be much improved over last year.  I think West is running an offense that best suits their situation as far as demographics and number of athletes that are playing.  They are a hard nosed bunch and if they can keep that system in place for a few years then I think they can make some noise for years to come.  If you aren't blessed with big linemen and great athletes then that option football is tough because teams don't see it often.   JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Owen Stampede said:

I am

  You wanna meet up?

I wish man, I'm working up in Maryland the next few weeks but will be back in early September. I hope McDowell has a decent showing. I expect Owen to be quite a bit better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucks.  We should be much improved.  Hearing some info on possibly some more good news of a returning player from 2 years ago.  He was a freshmen 2 years ago and supposedly moving back.  Our line is monstrous this year but we also have some skill guys who will make some noise.  Shavoy Harding, Caleb Scott, Miles Tate, Blake Roberts and Fred Graves are just a few names that should garner some attention.  Also have a couple WR that are 6'2+ and another WR whom we lost to a ACL last year that will be back that is quick and has good hands.  His name is Zeb Lord.  I look for him to have a good year.  It's a pretty exciting time.  The last 4 years have been tough but last years seniors established a good foundation to put Owen back on the right track.  I appreciate the heart and effort they put in and I look for the program to get better and better the next few years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 7-8 games this year.  Cant afford injuries though.  I think McDowell mad a the right hire and I see Brewer turning them around.  He can relate to the community and he will stay there which they need.  If he can win in a school of 600 kids he can win at McDowell.  May take a little time.  The spread was a waste for McDowell.  Those huge linemen yall had a couple years ago would have been better suited in Brewer's offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Owen Stampede said:

That sucks.  We should be much improved.  Hearing some info on possibly some more good news of a returning player from 2 years ago.  He was a freshmen 2 years ago and supposedly moving back.  Our line is monstrous this year but we also have some skill guys who will make some noise.  Shavoy Harding, Caleb Scott, Miles Tate, Blake Roberts and Fred Graves are just a few names that should garner some attention.  Also have a couple WR that are 6'2+ and another WR whom we lost to a ACL last year that will be back that is quick and has good hands.  His name is Zeb Lord.  I look for him to have a good year.  It's a pretty exciting time.  The last 4 years have been tough but last years seniors established a good foundation to put Owen back on the right track.  I appreciate the heart and effort they put in and I look for the program to get better and better the next few years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 7-8 games this year.  Cant afford injuries though.  I think McDowell mad a the right hire and I see Brewer turning them around.  He can relate to the community and he will stay there which they need.  If he can win in a school of 600 kids he can win at McDowell.  May take a little time.  The spread was a waste for McDowell.  Those huge linemen yall had a couple years ago would have been better suited in Brewer's offense.

Totally agree about the spread. When McDowell has had some success the past 20 years it has been running the ball and playing smashmouth physical football. Not enough speed for the spread. McDowell does return some decent linemen and linebackers this year but are replacing all WR, RBs and QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Owen Stampede said:

I hope yall win the conference.  It's about time for some new blood at the top.  The way Mills River is growing... I believe if you ever have that big year it will snowball.

Hey Owen Stampede, does Owen have a JV team this year? Owen JV's are not on the ACR schedule this year. We are only playing 8 JV games and all are conference games. We aren't playing Shelby or Owen this year which is not like the past years. We've always played both teams and especially Owen. Any info on this??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they are gonna do one.  I heard they were thin but thought they would have enough.  Very few freshmen.  It may be a last minute decision.  I'll try and find out.  Numbers have always been a problem for us.  It's been that way for 30 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard today that we had more kids show up to play than anyone can ever remember. They said they had to buy more helmets, shoulder pads and uniform. In a day and age where many school's football numbers are in decline, this makes me very happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROCKS,

 

It looks like we have a 8 game schedule too.  Looks like we are playing Smoky Mountain in place of North Henderson and not playing ACR and Franklin on JV.  At least that's what Maxpreps says.  So our jv schedule is 5 WHC games then East Henderson, Brevard and Smoky.  I have also sent out a text so I will see what I hear back.  I kinda wonder if that is a sign that the series may be coming to an end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×