Sign in to follow this  
MHHS09

Mountain Heritage Schedule

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

I wish Pisgah and Heritage would pick up games with out of state teams. Perhaps Sevier County, Tenn, or a team from around Newport.  Easley, Walhalla, or Pickens SC, Rabun, Stephens or Habersham County, Ga. It would give them a good game and stir up some interest in interstate games. A fresh look can be a good thing on occasion.

We played Greeneville Tenn last two years. Scrimmage Pickens.again this year.A lot of this trying to find games could have easily been avoided if we had kept the split conference like before.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pisgah Bears said:

We played Greeneville Tenn last two years. Scrimmage Pickens.again this year.A lot of this trying to find games could have easily been avoided if we had kept the split conference like before.

Yeah having more non conference games than conference games is a load of crap, I’m voting for the Mountain 12 next realignment lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kms51 said:

I think mt heritage and Shelby game should happen 

Not quite sure but perhaps one of the reasons Heritage didn’t agree to play Shelby is because Shelby didn’t want to come up the mountain ;)

8 minutes ago, MHHS09 said:

Not quite sure but perhaps one of the reasons Heritage didn’t agree to play Shelby is because Shelby didn’t want to come up the mountain ;)

I think there is more money to be made going down the mountain.

3 hours ago, btango said:

I think there is more money to be made going down the mountain.

Well I don’t know how much they were planing on cutting us in on but I would figure Heritage would get more from their home gate,  I don’t know about down there but up here that game would draw everyone and their brother.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:05 PM, Pisgah Bears said:

I was at the Greeneville game last season. Pisgah isn't afraid to play better teams, that's for sure

The MTN6 should have included Owen, Heritage and Madison. I know that breaks up the WHC but it creates a stronger 2A conference. The 1A teams could have worked with the SMC to make two 1A conferences.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Graham said:

The MTN6 should have included Owen, Heritage and Madison. I know that breaks up the WHC but it creates a stronger 2A conference. The 1A teams could have worked with the SMC to make two 1A conferences.

While it would be a great 2a conference, travel for Avery and Mitchell to join any 1a conference would be a nightmare. Those Monday and Tuesday night trips to Andrews or Allegheny for a volleyball game would be murder on the kids over a season. I agree with you it would be nice not to have the split conference but logistically for a couple of teams it is next to impossible. Sooner or later it is coming though. Will be interesting 8f the state goes to 5 classifications to see how it shakes out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MHHS09 said:

Well I don’t know how much they were planing on cutting us in on but I would figure Heritage would get more from their home gate,  I don’t know about down there but up here that game would draw everyone and their brother.

May be but Shelby usually packs it pretty well for that type of game.  In a non conference setup like this I am sure the visitor could negotiate a nice payout.  I have seen guarantees and then additional money as the ticket sales hit certain numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

As I have been reminded every realignment, conferences are not determined based on football.  “If schools wanted the realignment to be based on football they had the option but did not want two separate structures.”  That is not verbatim but a close quote from a former director to me.  He felt two different alignments, one football and one all other sports, was potentially the best option.  If football wanted six classes and the non sports four it could have been implemented.  He was surprised the schools showed almost zero interest.

Football scheduling with limited school night games and road trips every other season offer some flexibility that the other sports do not.  Sending students on a two hour drive home after a winter Tuesday night basketball game can get a bit dicey in many parts of the state.

• Like 4

I think we tend to overlook the other sports when we a talk about scheduling. I am in favor of football being its own deal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wncbowhunter said:

While it would be a great 2a conference, travel for Avery and Mitchell to join any 1a conference would be a nightmare. Those Monday and Tuesday night trips to Andrews or Allegheny for a volleyball game would be murder on the kids over a season. I agree with you it would be nice not to have the split conference but logistically for a couple of teams it is next to impossible. Sooner or later it is coming though. Will be interesting 8f the state goes to 5 classifications to see how it shakes out.

It’s only 69 miles from Avery to Allegheny. Not much worse then going to Owen,Madison,or Polk.

• Like 1

Btw why aren’t you guys playing Polk again this year, looks like you both have openings on September 13th and that would put both teams at 11 games.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, MHHS09 said:

Btw why aren’t you guys playing Polk again this year, looks like you both have openings on September 13th and that would put both teams at 11 games.

Good point. My understanding was that with two 6 team conferences, MTN 6 and WHC, filling up the non conference schedule should have been easy. It sure didn't work out that way. It would have been less travel and maybe a better gate than playing teams from out of state. Bloating the WMAC did not help schedule non conference games either.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, Appvol said:

It’s only 69 miles from Avery to Allegheny. Not much worse then going to Owen,Madison,or Polk.

Rosman to Murphy or Robbinsville is a long way and they have done it for years.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Paul Graham said:

thank you!!! kickers are a weapon very often underutilized. I also think Coach Robinson should line up every single kid in that HS and make them kick. He would have played in a state final if he had had a kicker.

Paul, I remember early in Joey's career he didn't have a punter and decided to try a FG on all punting situations.

• Like 1

NCHSAA pushed Asheville, ACR and Erwin's scheduling issues down to Franklin and Pisgah when they moved North, West, and Tuscola into MAC.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, MongolGuru said:

Paul, I remember early in Joey's career he didn't have a punter and decided to try a FG on all punting situations.

uhhhhh WOW. I have said plenty of times that Heritage would have a couple of titles if they had a kicker

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, MongolGuru said:

He would’ve been better served going for it

Not necessarily....I'm not exactly sure of the rule in high school but I know that there are some advantages to attempting a long field goal and/or missing it on purpose. Like if its kicked out of bounds that is where the team takes possession and if its missed short of the goal line the ball is live and may be downed or returned by the defending team.  So in that aspect he is much better than doing that instead of going for it since he didnt have a punter.

National HS Federation rules are the same for a FG attempt or a punt except the FG attempt can score three points if it goes through the upright.  Both can be returned unless it goes across the goal line (touchback) or out of bounds.

• Like 2