Sign in to follow this  
MHHS09

Mountain Heritage Schedule

Rate this topic

On 6/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, Appvol said:

It’s only 69 miles from Avery to Allegheny. Not much worse then going to Owen,Madison,or Polk.

Rosman to Murphy or Robbinsville is a long way and they have done it for years.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Paul Graham said:

thank you!!! kickers are a weapon very often underutilized. I also think Coach Robinson should line up every single kid in that HS and make them kick. He would have played in a state final if he had had a kicker.

Paul, I remember early in Joey's career he didn't have a punter and decided to try a FG on all punting situations.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:05 PM, Pisgah Bears said:

We played Greeneville Tenn last two years. Scrimmage Pickens.again this year.A lot of this trying to find games could have easily been avoided if we had kept the split conference like before.

NCHSAA pushed Asheville, ACR and Erwin's scheduling issues down to Franklin and Pisgah when they moved North, West, and Tuscola into MAC.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, MongolGuru said:

Paul, I remember early in Joey's career he didn't have a punter and decided to try a FG on all punting situations.

uhhhhh WOW. I have said plenty of times that Heritage would have a couple of titles if they had a kicker

• Like 1

He would’ve been better served going for it

Not necessarily....I'm not exactly sure of the rule in high school but I know that there are some advantages to attempting a long field goal and/or missing it on purpose. Like if its kicked out of bounds that is where the team takes possession and if its missed short of the goal line the ball is live and may be downed or returned by the defending team.  So in that aspect he is much better than doing that instead of going for it since he didnt have a punter.

• Like 1

National HS Federation rules are the same for a FG attempt or a punt except the FG attempt can score three points if it goes through the upright.  Both can be returned unless it goes across the goal line (touchback) or out of bounds.

• Like 3

Another thing I’ll add about Mountain Heritage... although Reidsville was faster overall, I didn’t feel that Mountain Heritage was slow or overwhelmed by the speed. They weren’t nearly as slow as people make out Mountain teams to be sometimes. Maybe not the top gear or as many kids with the top end speed but they had plenty of speed & took good angles. 

• Like 1

I honestly don’t remember that, back in 05 we had a pretty good kicker but even then I don’t think we kicked a field goal on every punting situation, but I wasn’t even in high school then so maybe I forgot about it, I can barley rennet my freshman year lol

On 6/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, ConnerP said:

Another thing I’ll add about Mountain Heritage... although Reidsville was faster overall, I didn’t feel that Mountain Heritage was slow or overwhelmed by the speed. They weren’t nearly as slow as people make out Mountain teams to be sometimes. Maybe not the top gear or as many kids with the top end speed but they had plenty of speed & took good angles. 

Yeah in years past we’ve always ran into a team that were more athletic, these last couple of years we’ve certainly had some great athletes but I think a lot of it has to do with how hard our players work on conditioning in the off season.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, btango said:

National HS Federation rules are the same for a FG attempt or a punt except the FG attempt can score three points if it goes through the upright.  Both can be returned unless it goes across the goal line (touchback) or out of bounds.

There is a crazy rule about fair catching a punt inside your 35 and getting to attempt a free FG??? it happened in an Asheville Franklin game in 99 or 2000. I know its a little ifferent than attempting FG's but it was weird

Fair catch on a punt allows the return team to attempt a free kick on the first offensive play after the fair catch.  Where the catch of the punt is downed does not matter.

• Like 2

I saw a game last fall where this was done.. Fair catch at own 43 or 45 with about 5 seconds left before halftime. Free kick attempt of 67 or 65 yards for the 3 points.  It was easily long enough but about a foot wide.

It was mass confusion as the refs seemed to have to explain the rule to one sideline & their fans were going crazy thinking it was illegal/not knowing what was going on.  Ball was correctly spotted on 20 after the miss... like I said it was long enough & landed about 15 yards beyond the back of the endzone. This also irritated the fans that didn’t know the rule.

Was down untimed? Or clock not start since ball not touched in field of play?  Maybe there were 10 seconds left... don’t recall but possession changed, 1 play run & it was interesting discussion at halftime.

It was basically kickoff/kick return formations but a 3 point attempt.

• Like 1