Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Blue&Gray

Could these 1A Schools be sleepers

Rate this topic

Elkin defiantly could. Alot of promise out of the rising JR class. Also Alleghany could make some noise because they return a large number of kids from last years team that caught on at the end of last season.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 9:44 AM, radioguy16 said:

Elkin defiantly could. A lot of promise out of the rising JR class. Also, Alleghany could make some noise because they return a large number of kids from last years team that caught on at the end of last season.  

We will see early, Elkin plays Mount Airy Sept. 9th and  Alleghany plays Mount Airy the following week Sept. 13th. 

14 hours ago, TD-FridayNight said:

We will see early, Elkin plays Mount Airy Sept. 9th and  Alleghany plays Mount Airy the following week Sept. 13th. 

If you had to pick one now, Which team do you feel will give you the better game? Elkin or Alleghany?

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, Chris Hughes said:

I’d add Hobbton to the list. 

Hey, Mr. Hughes why is everyone dismissing Holmes as a sleeper with their star RB's coming back whom led the state in rushing and TD's plus I think Holmes was the youngest team in their conference last season with only ten seniors on their roster and most of them didn't start?

2 hours ago, The Herd said:

Hey, Mr. Hughes why is everyone dismissing Holmes as a sleeper with their star RB's coming back whom led the state in rushing and TD's plus I think Holmes was the youngest team in their conference last season with only ten seniors on their roster and most of them didn't start?

It sounds like they are an expected contender not a sleeper.

• Like 1

I would love to see Chatham Central become a substantial program. For several years they would have FB, then the next year not have FB, then the next year have FB, etc. They seem to have gotten their numbers up the last couple of years. Do they have a JV program? Are their kids able to lift each semester in a class. To me this is a biggie because in small schools most of their kids play 3 sports and do not have time to stay after school to lift. The class provides them a way to get bigger, faster and stronger for all their sports which makes them better athletes.

11 hours ago, The Herd said:

You can't be a sleeper when your a serious contender.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:37 AM, radioguy16 said:

If you had to pick one now, Which team do you feel will give you the better game? Elkin or Alleghany?

As of the information I see now and it being senior night at Alleghany, I give Alleghany the edge over Elkin. Elkin shows no roster yet and Alleghany is only showing 15 so far. Only going on the rising juniors from last year. Mount Airy wins both games... Mount Airy lost several to graduations but they will step up and surprise everyone !

Hey, Mr. Hughes the good RB's from Holmes who led the state in rushing and TD's has he received any D1 offers that you know about or heard? I heard the kid has his stuff together in the class room with a 3.5 GPA and is very humble and quiet. 

Hate to burst anyone's bubble in 1A but here's a little tidbit of information. Tarboro is going to be better this year than last. They could win every division handily up to 2AA and give the 3A schools a fit. Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, WM1977 said:

Hate to burst anyone's bubble in 1A but here's a little tidbit of information. Tarboro is going to be better this year than last. They could win every division handily up to 2AA and give the 3A schools a fit. Best of luck! 

They wouldn't win 2a handily 

32 minutes ago, kms51 said:

They wouldn't win 2a handily 

I'd suspect if Tarboro was in 2A they would automatically be a favorite in whatever conference and be a playoff contender.

19 minutes ago, bud33345 said:

I'd suspect if Tarboro was in 2A they would automatically be a favorite in whatever conference and be a playoff contender.

Contender yes, but they would still have to go through Reidsville, Wrh. Northeastern and Clinton. 

22 hours ago, kms51 said:

Contender yes, but they would still have to go through Reidsville, Wrh. Northeastern and Clinton. 

Even still, I think Tarboro would be competitive against any of those teams. Northeastern and Tarboro share a common opponent this year in 3A contender Rocky Mount. Northeastern and Tarboro play a similar style physical game which would be a problem for any of those teams listed. They would definately be in the conversation with those 2A teams. I would like to see Northeastern and Tarboro play non conference in the future. It would be a pretty big deal in NE North Carolina.

4 hours ago, WM1977 said:

and?? last time i checked they already did. 

At the end of the day I don’t think they would beat reidsville this year. I do think they would come out east

5 hours ago, kms51 said:

At the end of the day I don’t think they would beat reidsville this year. I do think they would come out east

Would be a good game. Seen them both play. I can tell you one thing. Reidsville doesn't bring the lumber like Tarboro. They are well coached and well disciplined. But Tarboro is 3 deep with 185 lb. headhunters that never get tired. And they knock the slobber out of you on EVERY play. They may get some penalties but they make a statement early. Tarboro WOULD win all the way up to 2AA this season and contend in 3A. No way of proving it other than statements and hypothetical situations. But, I know football and I know a damn good team when I see it. They are a damn good team and approaching status of being in the conversation of "best ever." 

9 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Would be a good game. Seen them both play. I can tell you one thing. Reidsville doesn't bring the lumber like Tarboro. They are well coached and well disciplined. But Tarboro is 3 deep with 185 lb. headhunters that never get tired. And they knock the slobber out of you on EVERY play. They may get some penalties but they make a statement early. Tarboro WOULD win all the way up to 2AA this season and contend in 3A. No way of proving it other than statements and hypothetical situations. But, I know football and I know a damn good team when I see it. They are a damn good team and approaching status of being in the conversation of "best ever." 

This Reidsville team will be loaded this year. Them and Shelby we be 1 and 2 in 2a preseason. Wish the game could happen. 

Now, where does any Yadkin Valley Conference schools fit in this equation?  Or, will this be a down year for the YVC?

YVC??? LOL....it's dead in the water. If the joke of a team, not program, at North Stanly is your flagship then you ship has sunk. And I mean that with all honesty and seriousness. I have ZERO respect for anything coming out of New London. Quote me on it. Write it down. Call me sour grapes. Do whatever you want. They were a fraud the last two years. And unless they recruit 11 D1 players their coaching staff can't win a damn thing against comparable opponents. Beating up on South Davidson, Chatham Central, Albemarle and a West Montgomery that was closing down and not longer exists in the highlight of their lives. High fiving and back slapping about how good they are at Bojangles in Misenheimer must be fun for them. 

On 7/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, bud33345 said:

Remember Tarboro had alot of trouble with JK and Wallace Rose-Hill before those 2 moved up to 2A lost to Wallace in the playoffs in 2013 and 2016 lost to JK in 2014 and 2015 coincidentally WRH and JK get moved up to 2A in 2017 and the Vikings finally make it back to the State Championship....Of course Tarboro would/could compete in 2A but it definitely wouldn't be a cake walk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darkhorse2007 said:

Remember Tarboro had alot of trouble with JK and Wallace Rose-Hill before those 2 moved up to 2A lost to Wallace in the playoffs in 2013 and 2016 lost to JK in 2014 and 2015 coincidentally WRH and JK get moved up to 2A in 2017 and the Vikings finally make it back to the State Championship....Of course Tarboro would/could compete in 2A but it definitely wouldn't be a cake walk

Those are good points. but remember prior to Tarboro moving down to 1A they won the 2A State Championship three years straight in 2009, 2010, 2011. So they have cake walked it before. Reidsville and Shelby were powerhouses in 2A and 2AA  in those days much like it is today. The k-12 charter school that opened up down the road from Tarboro in 2012 took numbers away those few years you mentioned, dropping them to 1A. Some players even transferred to other schools once they dropped to 1A. It took a few years for Tarboro to recover from that as you noted above. WRH and JK's numbers were trending up (obviously) those years as Tarboro's were on a decline. If Tarboro was in 2A still, I don't think they would complain much. More than likely they would be in the Eastern Plains 2A conference. They would win it year end year out. Then on to the playoffs where I feel they would still win championships in 2A. They are all great programs, (WHR,Clinton,Reidsville,JK,Tarboro)who knows with realignment coming and a 5A added maybe the stars will align and we can see those teams get after it again. It's a great debate though. 

On 7/7/2019 at 1:35 AM, bud33345 said:

Some players even transferred to other schools once they dropped to 1A. It took a few years for Tarboro to recover from that as you noted above. WRH and JK's numbers were trending up (obviously) those years as Tarboro's were on a decline. If Tarboro was in 2A still, I don't think they would complain much. More than likely they would be in the Eastern Plains 2A conference. They would win it year end year out. Then on to the playoffs where I feel they would still win championships in 2A. They are all great programs, (WHR,Clinton,Reidsville,JK,Tarboro)who knows with realignment coming and a 5A added maybe the stars will align and we can see those teams get after it again. It's a great debate though. 

Agree with Tarboro being competitive in 2A and possibly winning some titles.  They would be 2A if it goes to five classes which is still a big question.

Regarding transferring out how many have transferred in from other schools?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, btango said:

Agree with Tarboro being competitive in 2A and possibly winning some titles.  They would be 2A if it goes to five classes which is still a big question.

Regarding transferring out how many have transferred in from other schools?

For 1A ball I would say not many. Them and North Edgecombe play 1A in the area. I think Tarboro sees more transferring to SW Edgecombe or N Edgecombe to get a better chance to start. With the charter school in play in Tarboro's district it comes down to this...if you wanna play football go to Tarboro if you want the academics go to the charter school. So in the long run after the initial flood of kids going to the charter school when it opened it come down to athletics or academics. Now that parents have this figured out Tarboro has 2A numbers in athletics but 1A admin numbers. This is a direct effect of the charter school.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bud33345 said:

For 1A ball I would say not many. Them and North Edgecombe play 1A in the area. I think Tarboro sees more transferring to SW Edgecombe or N Edgecombe to get a better chance to start. With the charter school in play in Tarboro's district it comes down to this...if you wanna play football go to Tarboro if you want the academics go to the charter school. So in the long run after the initial flood of kids going to the charter school when it opened it come down to athletics or academics. Now that parents have this figured out Tarboro has 2A numbers in athletics but 1A admin numbers. This is a direct effect of the charter school.

Wow.... I see what you are saying. Tarboro is a football factory and not taking care of these kids academically? That's sad if true. Uwharrie Charter has kids from Montgomery County flocking there because of...well... it's definitely not any better academically and from what's been in the papers of late they certainly are the bastion of discipline from their students or coaches! The Charters are a good idea if they are run properly. I for one see them as nothing more than hiding places for kids who can't cut it in real schools and their parents feel that they are too good for general population schools. I champion them if they are run the proper way. I support the hell out of them. Uwharrie is NOT a properly run Charter. It's a joke. I would hope that the Tarboro analogy is not correct and that the academics are being addressed with football players. There is a ton of talented kids there that should be playing on Saturdays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Wow.... I see what you are saying. Tarboro is a football factory and not taking care of these kids academically? That's sad if true. Uwharrie Charter has kids from Montgomery County flocking there because of...well... it's definitely not any better academically and from what's been in the papers of late they certainly are the bastion of discipline from their students or coaches! The Charters are a good idea if they are run properly. I for one see them as nothing more than hiding places for kids who can't cut it in real schools and their parents feel that they are too good for general population schools. I champion them if they are run the proper way. I support the hell out of them. Uwharrie is NOT a properly run Charter. It's a joke. I would hope that the Tarboro analogy is not correct and that the academics are being addressed with football players. There is a ton of talented kids there that should be playing on Saturdays. 

I wouldnt say Tarboro doesnt take care of the kids academically. I did not intend for it to sound that way. I think the curriculum, classes, and the quality of teachers at the charter school is precieved as being better by those in the community. Tarboro HS has some troubled kids no doubt. If you are a teacher with a masters degree and moves to the area, more than likely you are going to try to get work at the charter school with the presumption that there will be less discipline problems and more resources to help kids succeed academically.That's the reality of it. To be fair, I feel people in the area want good quality opportunities for the kids. This area has alot of poverty and crime. Parents look for any options available to pull the kids out of those situations whether it be with academics or athletics. Fact is, without Tarboro football alot of those kids would get caught up in the inevitable. Some still sadly do even with these options. As far as Tarboro being a football factory, I agree, it is. Those kids are in the weight room, working out, and getting better on the field to stay out of the streets. This wouldnt change no matter what classification Tarboro is in. Plenty of kids in Tarboro play at the next level (Todd Gurley being the most notorious recently). His influence is shown in the product you see on the field. Those kids look up to him.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. Pretty sure there are a lot of schools that are similar to Tarboro with the socio-economic situation. I applaud Todd Gurley for his contributions to the community. The coaching staff is making lemonade out of lemons in that situation. Look no further than the economic opportunities in that entire Eastern NC area and thank the democrats that ran this state for 80+ years. Not delving into politics but calling it the way it is. Kudos to awesome job that the Tarboro coaching staff and administration has done to try and uplift the community. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

I noticed that North Edgecombe enrollment numbers are down to about 230? Could that be a problem in the future?

It's a big problem. Since the mayor in Leggett, NC (town where the school resides) and his wife were murdered last year in their own home, families have fled Leggett in huge numbers. I think they may end up consolidating with Tarboro in the very near future. Like I said earlier, crime and poverty is no joke in the area. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bud33345 said:

It's a big problem. Since the mayor in Leggett, NC (town where the school resides) and his wife were murdered last year in their own home, families have fled Leggett in huge numbers. I think they may end up consolidating with Tarboro in the very near future. Like I said earlier, crime and poverty is no joke in the area. 

If that happens I hope that Tarboro can still keep its mascot the Vikings and School color purple and gold. No disrespect to North Edgecombe, but Tarboro Vikings  fans have too much pride in their program. Coming to think of it. If that happens moving North Edgecombe students to Tarboro High would add up to small 2A School.

6 hours ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

If that happens I hope that Tarboro can still keep its mascot the Vikings and School color purple and gold. No disrespect to North Edgecombe, but Tarboro Vikings  fans have too much pride in their program. Coming to think of it. If that happens moving North Edgecombe students to Tarboro High would add up to small 2A School.

Some projections had them at 2A if the 5A comes into play anyway. I don't think there is a chance of changing any mascot and what not. We'll have to wait and see what happens.