Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Morgan leaving McDowell

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow sports fans.  I have followed this school for many decades and have given my all to MHS but the rumors that are floating around town about this hire have me very concerned and worried about the direction we are going in. Can it really be true that we're going to hire two head coaches?  Old school coaches like Ken Brackett or Bones Whitted would blow a gasket if that kind of idea was floated.  One team, one goal, and one coach, that is all it takes, and are really about to hire someone from hated Avery?  Have we lost our marbles?  The rivalry between Newland and Marion is real.  I don't know Chris Hughes and have only visited this site about three times before today, but he certainly seems to know what he is talking about, and I am glad I took the time to sign up for an account to express my concern.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, titanman27 said:

McDowell has struggled a lot longer than the past 6 years. Really they have struggled for the past 20 years and have only won 1 playoff game ever. 

 

Coach Morgan did a lot of good things getting the weight room refurbished and helped push the new artificial turf. He also greatly impacted the off-season training/lifting programs which should continue to help into the future. I always look to the model Joey Robinson has done at Mtn Heritage as an example of what should be done at McDowell. Obviously Heritage is a 2A school but McDowell has a lot more athletes/students to choose from. i think if they continue to build the youth football system and Incorporate the high school offensive and defensive systems in the youth/middle school teams it will help. 

Young man, you have hit the nail on the head.  We have struggled for a few decades and as a Marion lifer, it is hard for me to understand why sometimes.  I travel to all of the ballgames, and when we are up in Asheville or even Hickory, our boys don't look much different than those we line up against.  I just feel that in terms of football that we have a mental block or built in negative mindset that tells our boys that it's alright if we don't win in football.  Sometimes I wonder if we're like Carolina football where the fans are just looking forward to basketball.  I often have wondered if we should just have two teams in the county instead of one.  Ever since the school was built, I felt that this has been a fractured community where the Marion people don't like the Nebo people, the Nebo people near the lake feel like they're better than anyone else in the county, and the Old Fort people don't like the Crooked Creek people, and the West Marion folks feel like they are not as good as the Marion folks, the North Cove people don't like anyone and many probably still have outdoor plumbing, and Dysartsville is a completely different community in itself too.  

Should our real question be not who the football coach should be, but instead should it be that one school is not a good solution for our county?  I vote for 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

Brint Russell has been named the Athletic Director at East Rutherford and I know he didn't apply or have any interest in the job this go-round.  

I know. That's why I thought it odd you mentioned his name in this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steelers71 said:

I know. That's why I thought it odd you mentioned his name in this thread. 

Because he would be a good candidate in my opinion.  I often mention multiple candidates, sometimes to conceal the real ones!!!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OriginalRipper said:

Young man, you have hit the nail on the head.  We have struggled for a few decades and as a Marion lifer, it is hard for me to understand why sometimes.  I travel to all of the ballgames, and when we are up in Asheville or even Hickory, our boys don't look much different than those we line up against.  I just feel that in terms of football that we have a mental block or built in negative mindset that tells our boys that it's alright if we don't win in football.  Sometimes I wonder if we're like Carolina football where the fans are just looking forward to basketball.  I often have wondered if we should just have two teams in the county instead of one.  Ever since the school was built, I felt that this has been a fractured community where the Marion people don't like the Nebo people, the Nebo people near the lake feel like they're better than anyone else in the county, and the Old Fort people don't like the Crooked Creek people, and the West Marion folks feel like they are not as good as the Marion folks, the North Cove people don't like anyone and many probably still have outdoor plumbing, and Dysartsville is a completely different community in itself too.  

Should our real question be not who the football coach should be, but instead should it be that one school is not a good solution for our county?  I vote for 2.

I lived near Marion for 20 years and you are absolutely right. McDowell can get the players, but the mindset and buy in has to change. The basketball team is usually always near the top of the conference. Most schools have multisport athletes. McDowell's best athletes usually stick to basketball and if they do play football, it's more of a diversion until hoops start. A lot of people wanted them to build 2 high schools and it makes a lot of sense. Too late now

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

Because he would be a good candidate in my opinion.  I often mention multiple candidates, sometimes to conceal the real ones!!!  

Maybe this week we will hear something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard of CO-HC i have heard of like HC and Associated HC but Come on now this is just LAME if this happened , I just dont see this working out and Doesn't make sense to me but Hey What do I know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being told that the co-head coach thing may not happen now.  At least it sounds like someone may be coming to their senses. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Being told that the co-head coach thing may not happen now.  At least it sounds like someone may be coming to their senses. 

A lot of interesting chatter brewing around with the School Board meeting being tonight. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TitanNation79 said:

A lot of interesting chatter brewing around with the School Board meeting being tonight. 

hehehehe I see what you did there

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 4:51 AM, GridIronFan said:

Darrell Brewer former coach from Avery High Schooll!!

Too bad Avery dropped McDowell from their schedule, I think that’s solid hire for McDowell, it will definitely beef up their rivalry with Mitchell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×