Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Morgan leaving McDowell

Rate this topic

It will be interesting to see if Mcdowell goes outside of their network for the next coaching change!! looks like the inside track has not worked for years same results!!Time for new idea's for sure!!

Last time they went out of network it was pretty good results. Way back when they hired David Riggs. He won some games, better than the Gowan years for sure. Morgan got a lot done in a few years, but I'm not sure it's just the result of the county finally getting on board with what a competitive football program needs. Besides the Jimmy's and Joe's, facilities and class schedules are very important. They upgraded the facilities. Next coach is walking into a good situation with that. Now got to find the Jimmy's and Joe's. 

6 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

Last time they went out of network it was pretty good results. Way back when they hired David Riggs. He won some games, better than the Gowan years for sure. Morgan got a lot done in a few years, but I'm not sure it's just the result of the county finally getting on board with what a competitive football program needs. Besides the Jimmy's and Joe's, facilities and class schedules are very important. They upgraded the facilities. Next coach is walking into a good situation with that. Now got to find the Jimmy's and Joe's. 

Yes you have got that right for sure!!

9 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

It will be interesting to see if Mcdowell goes outside of their network for the next coaching change!! looks like the inside track has not worked for years same results!!Time for new idea's for sure!!

We went outside three years ago...how did that work?

4 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

There one and only 1 guy who going be a great coach who from Outside of McDowell Coaching tree if he gets it!

I hope you’re correct because I want to see the program get to a respectable level...but I’ll say this. 

Whoever that may be better pack a lot of patience in their suitcase and know how to exercise it. It will not be an easy job that’s done overnight.

I thought Morgan had been there before as an assistant? There are a number of people who could do a great job there. There were several good candidates to interview I'm sure. Not too many people leave SC to come back to NC, so doubt that will happen. 

Sometimes it is very important to go outside of the program to find a coach, especially in situations where a school has struggled for a prolonged period of time, or if they've never experienced an abundance of success in the first place.  I do see the allure for schools, administrations, fans, and alum to stay inside, it is a comfortable hire and keeps homegrown folks involved, but I'm a huge believer in injecting life into a program and bringing in a fresh voice, someone with new ideas, new methods, and just an overall different way of thinking.  

I'm privy to a handful of the guys whom I know have interviewed, or otherwise been in contact with the McDowell administration.  It's not that I've  sought those guys out, but many of them have sent me messages asking for my opinions, or asking what I've heard in regards to some of the other candidates.  I do believe that the school has brought in some solid coaches, even a few who I would consider to be very surprising, so that tells me that at least the admin is doing their due-diligence, and trying to hire the best person they can, or at least for appearances sakes, making it look like they're tying to do so; and I have no reason to doubt them otherwise, but I have seen schools bring in a dog and pony list of current head coaches before, only to hire an unqualified person on staff, or a possible re-tread coach who never really had much success in the first place.

To understand why principals sometimes do parade in a group of coaches, only to hire someone on staff, is because some principals (I'm not at all saying this about McDowell) like to hire young coaches, or on-staff coaches because they feel they can control them, and keep them under their thumbs.  I've seen many schools shy away from successful coaches because they feel that said coaches would end up having more power within the school and community than themselves, thus wanting a weaker coach.  

2 minutes ago, El Campion said:

Where is Davie Former coach Illinger?

Doug Illing isn’t moving back to NC. He’s very happy in Myrtle Beach and I see him spending a lot of time on his fishing boat doing some deep sea fishing. 

I know it’s been highly speculated that Derrick Minor is one of the candidates, and if so, I swear I’d hire him today. His track record of taking over struggling schools speak for itself, and he’s an instant shot of energy into the program. 

There’s certainly some others who are out there in NC that I like for a job like McDowell, those who I know have looked into some Western Piedmont/WNC jobs in the past. Guys like former Avery coach Darrell Brewer; current Greenville Rose head coach David Wojtecki, or even someone with ties to the area like Mt. Airy head coach JK Adkins.  With guys like that, you couldn’t go wrong. 

Still, if I were making the hire today and couldn’t land someone like Tom Knotts, Joey Robinson, or Jim Bob Bryant, I’d pick Minor and run with it. 

2 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

I know it’s been highly speculated that Derrick Minor is one of the candidates, and if so, I swear I’d hire him today. His track record of taking over struggling schools speak for itself, and he’s an instant shot of energy into the program. 

There’s certainly some others who are out there in NC that I like for a job like McDowell, those who I know have looked into some Western Piedmont/WNC jobs in the past. Guys like former Avery coach Darrell Brewer; current Greenville Rose head coach David Wojtecki, or even someone with ties to the area like Mt. Airy head coach JK Adkins.  With guys like that, you couldn’t go wrong. 

Still, if I were making the job today and couldn’t land someone like Tom Knotts or Jim Bob Bryant, I’d pick Minor and run with it. 

He may or may not be the one i been talking bout 

7 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

He may or may not be the one i been talking bout 

I don’t know that he’s the leader in the clubhouse per say, but he’d be my pick. 

Of course they could really look outside the box at some good coaches in surrounding counties and try to poach one from a neighboring school. 

Guys like David Burdette at Asheville; Tommy Langford at Christ School; AD Dustin Kerley at Watauga; AD Brint Russell at East Rutherford; Kyle Lowman at Bandys; or Travise Pittman at Mitchell. 

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don’t know that he’s the leader in the clubhouse per say, but he’d be my pick. 

I talk to him from time to time but I havent heard much bout it so Its just my guess but I would pick him too - He a great guy and He would a great HC for McDowell

Sounds like who ever gets this job will have a lot of rebuilding to do!!They need to be here for several years for sure!!Top heavy conference looks like also!!

I'm hearing some reports coming in that McDowell may hire "two head coaches", and yes, you heard that right, co-head coaches.  I certainly hope not, and if this is true, it's probably the worst hire I've ever heard.  You have to have ONE voice, these players (kids) are smart and they'll play the two coaches against one another just as they do with their parents; not to mention the dynamic it would create within a staff.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

I'm hearing some reports coming in that McDowell may hire "two head coaches", and yes, you heard that right, co-head coaches.  I certainly hope not, and if this is true, it's probably the worst hire I've ever heard.  You have to have ONE voice, these players (kids) are smart and they'll play the two coaches against one another just as they do with their parents; not to mention the dynamic it would create within a staff.  

no way that would be  so dumb!!  I have never heard of such a thing ever!!

• Haha 1

Just now, GridIronFan said:

no way that would be the so dumb!!  I have never heard of such a thing ever!!

Nobody has, it is funny, my cell phone has lit up in the past 30 minutes with coaches asking me if the rumors they're hearing are really true.  They all say this is a ludicrous idea.  

Which coach will a player contact when he has to miss a workout, or practice, or has a pressing need?  Which coach is going to do the eligibility paperwork?  Which coach is going to determine the pregame routine?  Which coach is going to inventory equipment, or order new uniforms, or send off helmets to be reconditioned?  As soon as there is a major disagreement, this has a chance of ending in disaster.  Say what you want, but head coaches have EGO's, and once one of them gets in a disagreement, or gets upset, one or both could end up quitting, and then you have a real problem with your staff.  It would be easy to for there to be a mutiny within the staff because there is not ONE leader to look up to. 

I do wish them the best, but this doesn't look or smell good.  

LOL. And McDowell continues to be the laughingstock of mountain football. Maybe hiring a re tread former HC with little good results wouldn't be such a bad thing. Or getting Brint Russell there. I don't see that happening or the other coaches mentioned earlier on this thread from Watauga, Christ School, Mitchell. Weird situation here.

Brint Russell has been named the Athletic Director at East Rutherford and I know he didn't apply or have any interest in the job this go-round.