Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Morgan leaving McDowell

Rate this topic

Of course they could really look outside the box at some good coaches in surrounding counties and try to poach one from a neighboring school. 

Guys like David Burdette at Asheville; Tommy Langford at Christ School; AD Dustin Kerley at Watauga; AD Brint Russell at East Rutherford; Kyle Lowman at Bandys; or Travise Pittman at Mitchell. 

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don’t know that he’s the leader in the clubhouse per say, but he’d be my pick. 

I talk to him from time to time but I havent heard much bout it so Its just my guess but I would pick him too - He a great guy and He would a great HC for McDowell

Sounds like who ever gets this job will have a lot of rebuilding to do!!They need to be here for several years for sure!!Top heavy conference looks like also!!

I'm hearing some reports coming in that McDowell may hire "two head coaches", and yes, you heard that right, co-head coaches.  I certainly hope not, and if this is true, it's probably the worst hire I've ever heard.  You have to have ONE voice, these players (kids) are smart and they'll play the two coaches against one another just as they do with their parents; not to mention the dynamic it would create within a staff.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm hearing some reports coming in that McDowell may hire "two head coaches", and yes, you heard that right, co-head coaches.  I certainly hope not, and if this is true, it's probably the worst hire I've ever heard.  You have to have ONE voice, these players (kids) are smart and they'll play the two coaches against one another just as they do with their parents; not to mention the dynamic it would create within a staff.  

no way that would be  so dumb!!  I have never heard of such a thing ever!!

• Haha 1

Just now, GridIronFan said:

no way that would be the so dumb!!  I have never heard of such a thing ever!!

Nobody has, it is funny, my cell phone has lit up in the past 30 minutes with coaches asking me if the rumors they're hearing are really true.  They all say this is a ludicrous idea.  

Which coach will a player contact when he has to miss a workout, or practice, or has a pressing need?  Which coach is going to do the eligibility paperwork?  Which coach is going to determine the pregame routine?  Which coach is going to inventory equipment, or order new uniforms, or send off helmets to be reconditioned?  As soon as there is a major disagreement, this has a chance of ending in disaster.  Say what you want, but head coaches have EGO's, and once one of them gets in a disagreement, or gets upset, one or both could end up quitting, and then you have a real problem with your staff.  It would be easy to for there to be a mutiny within the staff because there is not ONE leader to look up to. 

I do wish them the best, but this doesn't look or smell good.  

LOL. And McDowell continues to be the laughingstock of mountain football. Maybe hiring a re tread former HC with little good results wouldn't be such a bad thing. Or getting Brint Russell there. I don't see that happening or the other coaches mentioned earlier on this thread from Watauga, Christ School, Mitchell. Weird situation here.

Brint Russell has been named the Athletic Director at East Rutherford and I know he didn't apply or have any interest in the job this go-round.  

Brint Russell has been named the Athletic Director at East Rutherford and I know he didn't apply or have any interest in the job this go-round.  

I know. That's why I thought it odd you mentioned his name in this thread. 

9 minutes ago, Steelers71 said:

I know. That's why I thought it odd you mentioned his name in this thread. 

Because he would be a good candidate in my opinion.  I often mention multiple candidates, sometimes to conceal the real ones!!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OriginalRipper said:

Young man, you have hit the nail on the head.  We have struggled for a few decades and as a Marion lifer, it is hard for me to understand why sometimes.  I travel to all of the ballgames, and when we are up in Asheville or even Hickory, our boys don't look much different than those we line up against.  I just feel that in terms of football that we have a mental block or built in negative mindset that tells our boys that it's alright if we don't win in football.  Sometimes I wonder if we're like Carolina football where the fans are just looking forward to basketball.  I often have wondered if we should just have two teams in the county instead of one.  Ever since the school was built, I felt that this has been a fractured community where the Marion people don't like the Nebo people, the Nebo people near the lake feel like they're better than anyone else in the county, and the Old Fort people don't like the Crooked Creek people, and the West Marion folks feel like they are not as good as the Marion folks, the North Cove people don't like anyone and many probably still have outdoor plumbing, and Dysartsville is a completely different community in itself too.  

Should our real question be not who the football coach should be, but instead should it be that one school is not a good solution for our county?  I vote for 2.

I lived near Marion for 20 years and you are absolutely right. McDowell can get the players, but the mindset and buy in has to change. The basketball team is usually always near the top of the conference. Most schools have multisport athletes. McDowell's best athletes usually stick to basketball and if they do play football, it's more of a diversion until hoops start. A lot of people wanted them to build 2 high schools and it makes a lot of sense. Too late now

• Thanks 1

Because he would be a good candidate in my opinion.  I often mention multiple candidates, sometimes to conceal the real ones!!!  

Maybe this week we will hear something

I have never heard of CO-HC i have heard of like HC and Associated HC but Come on now this is just LAME if this happened , I just dont see this working out and Doesn't make sense to me but Hey What do I know 

Being told that the co-head coach thing may not happen now.  At least it sounds like someone may be coming to their senses. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Being told that the co-head coach thing may not happen now.  At least it sounds like someone may be coming to their senses. 

A lot of interesting chatter brewing around with the School Board meeting being tonight. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TitanNation79 said:

A lot of interesting chatter brewing around with the School Board meeting being tonight. 

hehehehe I see what you did there

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2019 at 4:51 AM, GridIronFan said:

Darrell Brewer former coach from Avery High Schooll!!

Too bad Avery dropped McDowell from their schedule, I think that’s solid hire for McDowell, it will definitely beef up their rivalry with Mitchell.