Sign in to follow this  
TitanNation79

Morgan leaving McDowell

Rate this topic

If everyone wanted him why is he still looking for a job?  Seriously, sounds like they have someone in mind.  The article says they want to move quickly and that they have already contacted some former players in the coaching profession.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fornow said:

If everyone wanted him why is he still looking for a job?  Seriously, sounds like they have someone in mind.  The article says they want to move quickly and that they have already contacted some former players in the coaching profession.

Well if u knew who it was then u would know what i meant by Everyone wanted him - just the job didnt want out so thats why he still looking 

He was looking to leave eave last year when he put in for the Freedom opening.  Reel is a McDowell alumni.  The draw of coming back home can trump a lot of money sometimes.  All of this is purely speculation, of course.

Makes sense.  In the article the Principal said they had already contacted some alumni in the coaching profession.  How many McDowell graduates are into coaching HS football?

Yep. Got that right. Did they ever move the 9th graders onto campus at McDowell? Or at least closer so they could get them there quicker.

McDowell has struggled a lot longer than the past 6 years. Really they have struggled for the past 20 years and have only won 1 playoff game ever. 

Coach Morgan did a lot of good things getting the weight room refurbished and helped push the new artificial turf. He also greatly impacted the off-season training/lifting programs which should continue to help into the future. I always look to the model Joey Robinson has done at Mtn Heritage as an example of what should be done at McDowell. Obviously Heritage is a 2A school but McDowell has a lot more athletes/students to choose from. i think if they continue to build the youth football system and Incorporate the high school offensive and defensive systems in the youth/middle school teams it will help. 

7 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

Yep. Got that right. Did they ever move the 9th graders onto campus at McDowell? Or at least closer so they could get them there quicker.

Yes they have. 

18 hours ago, titanman27 said:

Yes they have. 

That's a start. I know they got new turf and upgraded the weight room. I interviewed there years ago with Gowan about an assistant job. Could be a good program with the right leadership and resources. Incorporate the youth program to run your schemes, get middle schools going, develop the off season commitment, etc. One school counties like McDowell, SM, Swain, etc. can be very good if things are done the right way and consistent. Even with their conference they should be competitive based on enrollment numbers alone.  

23 minutes ago, Steelers71 said:

That's a start. I know they got new turf and upgraded the weight room. I interviewed there years ago with Gowan about an assistant job. Could be a good program with the right leadership and resources. Incorporate the youth program to run your schemes, get middle schools going, develop the off season commitment, etc. One school counties like McDowell, SM, Swain, etc. can be very good if things are done the right way and consistent. Even with their conference they should be competitive based on enrollment numbers alone.  

The county is not much different than Alexander County demographically and they have had success on the field recently. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/mcdowellcountynorthcarolina,alexandercountynorthcarolina/PST045218

They have to buy into hard nosed, disciplined football much like Mitchell and Mtn Heritage play.

42 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Well whoever goes in there , Rule #1 is to lower the dirtiness during games (late hits and such)

Discipline starts and ends with coaching. Yes there have been times where McDowell has played with lack of discipline, especially vs teams that are more talented or athletic. Playing dirty does not level the playing field. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, coachmp said:

No way he leaves N Myrtle this time of the year. Plus Horry county pays a lot of Money. Can McDowell match that?

with coaches leaving to go to SC hard to believe he would leave that program to come back and take a pay cut!!

McDowell had its chance three years ago to get Matt Reel, so unless someone in Marion backs up the Brinks Truck, I don’t see it happening at this juncture.

I haven’t heard much locally in recent days. My guess is that some interviews have possibly taken place already and who knows, maybe they have the choice already locked in. With testing about to begin it will have to be after graduation before something is made offfical. The system monthly board meetings generally fall on the second week of the month. So maybe we get some news around that timeframe.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if Mcdowell goes outside of their network for the next coaching change!! looks like the inside track has not worked for years same results!!Time for new idea's for sure!!

Last time they went out of network it was pretty good results. Way back when they hired David Riggs. He won some games, better than the Gowan years for sure. Morgan got a lot done in a few years, but I'm not sure it's just the result of the county finally getting on board with what a competitive football program needs. Besides the Jimmy's and Joe's, facilities and class schedules are very important. They upgraded the facilities. Next coach is walking into a good situation with that. Now got to find the Jimmy's and Joe's. 

6 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

Last time they went out of network it was pretty good results. Way back when they hired David Riggs. He won some games, better than the Gowan years for sure. Morgan got a lot done in a few years, but I'm not sure it's just the result of the county finally getting on board with what a competitive football program needs. Besides the Jimmy's and Joe's, facilities and class schedules are very important. They upgraded the facilities. Next coach is walking into a good situation with that. Now got to find the Jimmy's and Joe's. 

Yes you have got that right for sure!!

9 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

It will be interesting to see if Mcdowell goes outside of their network for the next coaching change!! looks like the inside track has not worked for years same results!!Time for new idea's for sure!!

We went outside three years ago...how did that work?

4 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

There one and only 1 guy who going be a great coach who from Outside of McDowell Coaching tree if he gets it!

I hope you’re correct because I want to see the program get to a respectable level...but I’ll say this. 

Whoever that may be better pack a lot of patience in their suitcase and know how to exercise it. It will not be an easy job that’s done overnight.

I thought Morgan had been there before as an assistant? There are a number of people who could do a great job there. There were several good candidates to interview I'm sure. Not too many people leave SC to come back to NC, so doubt that will happen. 

Sometimes it is very important to go outside of the program to find a coach, especially in situations where a school has struggled for a prolonged period of time, or if they've never experienced an abundance of success in the first place.  I do see the allure for schools, administrations, fans, and alum to stay inside, it is a comfortable hire and keeps homegrown folks involved, but I'm a huge believer in injecting life into a program and bringing in a fresh voice, someone with new ideas, new methods, and just an overall different way of thinking.  

I'm privy to a handful of the guys whom I know have interviewed, or otherwise been in contact with the McDowell administration.  It's not that I've  sought those guys out, but many of them have sent me messages asking for my opinions, or asking what I've heard in regards to some of the other candidates.  I do believe that the school has brought in some solid coaches, even a few who I would consider to be very surprising, so that tells me that at least the admin is doing their due-diligence, and trying to hire the best person they can, or at least for appearances sakes, making it look like they're tying to do so; and I have no reason to doubt them otherwise, but I have seen schools bring in a dog and pony list of current head coaches before, only to hire an unqualified person on staff, or a possible re-tread coach who never really had much success in the first place.

To understand why principals sometimes do parade in a group of coaches, only to hire someone on staff, is because some principals (I'm not at all saying this about McDowell) like to hire young coaches, or on-staff coaches because they feel they can control them, and keep them under their thumbs.  I've seen many schools shy away from successful coaches because they feel that said coaches would end up having more power within the school and community than themselves, thus wanting a weaker coach.  

2 minutes ago, El Campion said:

Where is Davie Former coach Illinger?

Doug Illing isn’t moving back to NC. He’s very happy in Myrtle Beach and I see him spending a lot of time on his fishing boat doing some deep sea fishing. 

I know it’s been highly speculated that Derrick Minor is one of the candidates, and if so, I swear I’d hire him today. His track record of taking over struggling schools speak for itself, and he’s an instant shot of energy into the program. 

There’s certainly some others who are out there in NC that I like for a job like McDowell, those who I know have looked into some Western Piedmont/WNC jobs in the past. Guys like former Avery coach Darrell Brewer; current Greenville Rose head coach David Wojtecki, or even someone with ties to the area like Mt. Airy head coach JK Adkins.  With guys like that, you couldn’t go wrong. 

Still, if I were making the hire today and couldn’t land someone like Tom Knotts, Joey Robinson, or Jim Bob Bryant, I’d pick Minor and run with it. 

2 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

I know it’s been highly speculated that Derrick Minor is one of the candidates, and if so, I swear I’d hire him today. His track record of taking over struggling schools speak for itself, and he’s an instant shot of energy into the program. 

There’s certainly some others who are out there in NC that I like for a job like McDowell, those who I know have looked into some Western Piedmont/WNC jobs in the past. Guys like former Avery coach Darrell Brewer; current Greenville Rose head coach David Wojtecki, or even someone with ties to the area like Mt. Airy head coach JK Adkins.  With guys like that, you couldn’t go wrong. 

Still, if I were making the job today and couldn’t land someone like Tom Knotts or Jim Bob Bryant, I’d pick Minor and run with it. 

He may or may not be the one i been talking bout 

7 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

He may or may not be the one i been talking bout 

I don’t know that he’s the leader in the clubhouse per say, but he’d be my pick.