LarryRandolph

Maxpreps Rankings vs. NCHSAA Adjusted Rankings

What was the reason for the adjusted rankings?  What do they do to them to adjust them?

What's wrong with the regular rankings? Why do they need to be adjusted? 

A couple teams were in that are not now once the rankings were "adjusted"

For football it was point differential.  Maxpreps used it and the NCHSAA Adjusted Rankings did not.  I felt the adjusted rankings should have used 21 points instead of none at all.  Think that is something the coaches need to push for next school year.  Yes, we do not want teams running up the score but if a team scores when they are up by 14 I do not think it is an issue.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, btango said:

For football it was point differential.  Maxpreps used it and the NCHSAA Adjusted Rankings did not.  I felt the adjusted rankings should have used 21 points instead of none at all.  Think that is something the coaches need to push for next school year.  Yes, we do not want teams running up the score but if a team scores when they are up by 14 I do not think it is an issue.

Agree. 

I agree. However, I hate this running clock. When a team gets up by a certain number of points the HC should be held responsible for making sure all the starters are out of the game at that point. The running clock makes it difficult to get all the kids in for several plays if you have 50-60 kids on a team. There has to be a better way.

• Like 2

Another important thing ..Usually its not the best officiating crew that gets the blow out games and it would give them more time on the field and gain some valuable experience which they desperately need.....Those 1st, 2nd, 3rd year officials need that time also....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raider1 said:

Another important thing ..Usually its not the best officiating crew that gets the blow out games and it would give them more time on the field and gain some valuable experience which they desperately need.....Those 1st, 2nd, 3rd year officials need that time also....

I agree with this for sure.  We have officials here in WNC that LOVE the running clock because it gets them home very early.  It looks, from the stands anyway, that they get very angry if the clock operator isn't running the clock continuously like they (the white hat ) think it should be.   We had a game earlier this year that had a running clock earlier than the 42 point mark.  I am assuming the coaches agreed to this but still.  I think the running clock shouldn't start until the fourth quarter if the 42 point mark is achieved.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Of course they like it. They work a shorter time period for the same amount of money.

Not familiar with this so I will plead ignorance....How many HS refs do that gig for $$. Especially in a smoking hot economy.  I doubt there are that many looking to get to Taco Bell 30 minutes earlier on a Friday night.

I would like to see an estimated difference in total time of the second half for a regular clock game that is stays at 28 points throughout as compared to a game with the running clock starting immediately in the second half.  My gues is may be thirty minutes saved at most?  In a tight game with a lot of timeouts it may be more but in a game where it is fairly basic I think it is not a huge amount.

How many HS refs do that gig for $$.  

Most of them call 3-6 games a week with rec ball, MS, JV and varsity. They make  more money than you realize. I know many who do it as a part time job for the money. Of course they love what they are doing. There are many who enjoy the control and the power that comes with the job. However, the vast majority of them are good guys and try to do a good job. My daughters boy friend umpires baseball and makes a lot of money doing this 9 months of the year. Football has the shortest season in terms of how much the officials are able to work.