Sign in to follow this  
smashmouth5

Talk about a flawed system...

Prelim baseball brackets are up and Crest got the 2 seed and Carson got the 1.  Carson is a great team, but they have 2 defeats and one of them is a con game.  Meanwhile Crest is undefeated.  Something doesn't seem right in that equation. 

I understand the head scratch but for years the complaint by coaches was that there is a vast difference between the quality of schedules.  Using a power poll was always the hot topic.  This was all sports but football obviously got the attention.  There was always, "if they played our schedule."  In this case if Crest played East Rowan three times or went against Lake Norman would they still have finished undefeated.  I have no idea but if Crest wins out the Chargers can prove that computer wrong.  

I think one big issue with the process is that you can be a conference champion in a weak league and are seeded so high.  Whereas you could finish third in a tough league and get seeded like #18.  In my opinion, the automatic bids should stay like they are, but seed based on maxpreps.

Imagine if the NCAA tournament seeded regular season champions in order based on RPI.  A mid major could be a #3 seed. A team from a power conference who has a high RPI who should be a #3 seed, would be like a #13 or something. Crazy.

Just my opinion.

I understand the weak schedule argument but Crest plays in the Big South which is a fine baseball league.  They also played some good noncon teams with The Charlotte Stampede and Jefferson Forest VA.  And I know it's a different year but you have a Crest program that has played for a state title the last 2 years and now has an undefeated season going.  Just as an example...the Impact Baseball Poll has Crest ranked #1 in the state.

10 hours ago, smashmouth5 said:

How about Carson plays North Gaston 3 times and a top 10 4A team from VA. 

Not taking anything away from the Crest team or questioning if they did play a strong schedule.  Only trying to show the logic or lack of with a very rudimentary example.

Virginia has four classes so the win is impressive but not earth shattering.

Playoff baseball is more about quality pitching depth so it is almost like a new season.  May be we will get to see the two teams go head to head in the regional final.

10 hours ago, LarryRandolph said:

I think one big issue with the process is that you can be a conference champion in a weak league and are seeded so high.  Whereas you could finish third in a tough league and get seeded like #18.  In my opinion, the automatic bids should stay like they are, but seed based on maxpreps.

Seed conference champions by their Max Preps poll standing.  Then seed all other qualifying teams by the Max Preps poll.  A fourth place team can be seeded higher than a second place conference finisher.  If you are going to have a power poll use it!

9 hours ago, btango said:

Seed conference champions by their Max Preps poll standing.  Then seed all other qualifying teams by the Max Preps poll.  A fourth place team can be seeded higher than a second place conference finisher.  If you are going to have a power poll use it!

I think that would be a good compromise. I could definitely go for that.  

2 hours ago, Eagles 1313 said:

I would love to see NC use a power ranking much like Georgia does for all of their sports.  

Are they not doing so with Max Preps?

MaxPreps factors in years previous and scores from previous years to come up with their formula or what ever their formula is.  The Georgia Power Ranking is based solely on that year and has nothing to do with scores.  It has to do with whether you win or lose and the record of the teams you play.

4 hours ago, Eagles 1313 said:

MaxPreps factors in years previous and scores from previous years to come up with their formula or what ever their formula is.  The Georgia Power Ranking is based solely on that year and has nothing to do with scores.  It has to do with whether you win or lose and the record of the teams you play.

Max Preps does not use previous seasons standings or scores.  

They have recently went more in depth on their site since the last time I read through it.  Last time I read through how their ranking was established was about 2 years ago when there was minimal information about it.  Being a math guy and a coach, I would love to see the formula if we are going to continue to use MaxPreps to give my players the best opportunity to be successful...just my opinion that probably isn't worth much though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagles 1313 said:

They have recently went more in depth on their site since the last time I read through it.  Last time I read through how their ranking was established was about 2 years ago when there was minimal information about it.  Being a math guy and a coach, I would love to see the formula if we are going to continue to use MaxPreps to give my players the best opportunity to be successful...just my opinion that probably isn't worth much though 

Agreed, knowing what the algorithm likes would be helpful with scheduling. 

Just now, LarryRandolph said:

2A baseball bracket all jacked up.

Seeding process needs to be looked at. 

The Crest fans were complaining they were a two seed in the west behind Carson.  Pointed at undefeated record and past state championships.  Crest is out.

Issue with baseball is who is on the mound.  Watched what I thought was a definite regional finalist one year lose in the first round.  They had two losses on the season to a larger class state power and lost to a future SEC pitcher (won other two against the team and one against him).  First round team was about 14-12 on the season.  Number one pitcher was 12-1 and won a pitching duel 2-1 that night.  The loser had three pitchers of about the same caliber and would be tough in the playoffs but ran into a really good senior pitcher.  In the second round the low seed was rolled by a team that lost bad both times to the first round loser.

Football and basketball are much easier to seed.  Always expected issues with baseball.

Coaches requested three games series but that has been studied a few times and getting games in due to weather is the issue.  Regular season this year was an example.  

Latest max preps poll had Crest 4 and Marvin Ridge 6.  Is that a third round match-up.  Still have a right to complain about the system.  North Gaston who finished second in the con has a better road.  Series would be a much better way to decide   You are correct about one hot pitcher can knock the better overall team out.

Less teams should get in baseball playoffs.  32 teams, best of 3 series the whole way.  A week for each series.  Get them in anytime during that week.  That's five weeks to play that out.

• Like 1

The three game series for all rounds has been discussed.  I love that idea!  The coaches requested it again this board meeting but it did not get out of committee.  In the past there has been research and simulations done on the three game series and playoffs using computerized and historical data.  

For every option there are a lot of potential issues to include with what is currently in place.  The idea of weekly has been discussed in the past.  Spoke to a former administrator (a baseball guy) in depth about it.  I liked Monday, Wednesday, Friday.  Even with these types of proposals  there is pushback regarding pitching, travel, doubleheaders, potentially playing a rested team Monday after playing three games Friday and Saturday.  It goes on and on.

We got a survey from the NCBCA about playoff format and there were several options.  One of those was the first week (round 1 and 2) be single elimination and then round 3 and on be best of 3.  That's just one of the examples we received as well as the 3 game series throughout.  I think most of us want a 3 game series so if we happen to catch that team with that dominate arm, we aren't out of the playoffs.  

Wouldn't mind the way SC does it with different regions having a 4 team double elimination bracket and on from there.

• Like 1