Sign in to follow this  
Wrigley

The Creek and Dutch Fork on ESPN 2

Rate this topic

With Dutch Fork been the home team would that be enough a loophole for it be played in North Carolina. The NCHSAA will not allow a regular season game be televised live on TV.

NCHSAA policy has been no regular season game can be televised live although they did loosen up on that a few  years ago and allowed Thursday night games to go live on television.  Time Warner had the contract and schools in areas without TWC were approved to have a different company to broadcast live on Thursday.  

Play this game on Thursday night and I think they will get the approval to play on live tv with no problem.  I would think ESPN would be ok with a Thursday game.  

Bank of America Stadium will swallow this crowd up even if they draw 15,000-20,000 but I am fine with that depending on cost and logisitics.  Personally, I think it is better to play it at UNCC or leave it at Dutch Fork but BofA does allow for something special both for the players and the high school fan.

Do not schedule it for Saturday and take a chance with the weather.  Do not schedule a game before this one and spend thirty minutes presenting trophies and introducing people after that game.  Last year was a complete disaster and high school football was done a disservice by both the NCHSAA and the promoter. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 84k said:

With Dutch Fork been the home team would that be enough a loophole for it be played in North Carolina. The NCHSAA will not allow a regular season game be televised live on TV.

Thursday have been approved in recent years.

14 minutes ago, btango said:

NCHSAA policy has been no regular season game can be televised live although they did loosen up on that a few  years ago and allowed Thursday night games to go live on television.  Time Warner had the contract and schools in areas without TWC were approved to have a different company to broadcast live on Thursday.  

Play this game on Thursday night and I think they will get the approval to play on live tv with no problem.  I would think ESPN would be ok with a Thursday game.  

Bank of America Stadium will swallow this crowd up even if they draw 15,000-20,000 but I am fine with that depending on cost and logisitics.  Personally, I think it is better to play it at UNCC or leave it at Dutch Fork but BofA does allow for something special both for the players and the high school fan.

Do not schedule it for Saturday and take a chance with the weather.  Do not schedule a game before this one and spend thirty minutes presenting trophies and introducing people after that game.  Last year was a complete disaster and high school football was done a disservice by both the NCHSAA and the promoter. 

Not crazy about the BOA venue either. Especially if televised as I think it cuts into attendance even further.

Personally I like when the go on road for opener. They have always played better on the road in my opinion.

Charlotte has the largest population but SC supports high school football better.  May be able to draw the best crowd at Dutch Fork on Thursday and a lot of people getting home at 6:30 in Charlotte will be able to tune in.  

I fear the ticket cost at BofA although I think the new owner may be more about the "game" and community than the bottom line.  I think $10 is the max a high school regular season game ticket should be even if it is a doubleheader.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btango said:

I forgot about TWC televised live games on Thursday's.

I'm very excited about this game being on ESPN, I may try and pull some strings and see if I can get on the broadcast crew since I have some experience with those guys!  I think this will be must-see football if you're a fan of football in either state. 

• Like 3

I know at this point it’s probably Hard to say but any idea of the size of crowd that could possibly be at this game. 

8 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I know at this point it’s probably Hard to say but any idea of the size of crowd that could possibly be at this game. 

No idea.  It could be huge or it could be very mediocre.  Mallard Creek v Scotland had a good crowd on opening night a few years ago on a Thursday but that in a small town where football is every thing.

In Charlotte, Knotts is a bit mythical but high school football seems to drop off a bit each year in attendance.  Playing at BofA may bring more fans out but they will be swallowed up.  I think the largest crowd is at BofA but the best atmostphere is at Dutch Fork.  The crowd may be large enough to make UNCC the best option.  May thing to me is they are once again scheduling one another.  Props to the coaches and teams!

• Like 1

If they get it played on a Thursday then I think it has a chance to be a very big crowd. They will have the night to themselves and either location would be a pretty easy drive for many people to make. They do it Friday and its big but not huge. Too many people invested in their own schools. If I had my choice it would be in this order-

- UNCC

- DF

-BOA 

2 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Has the site been determined yet where this game will be played at. 

The game will be played at Dutch Fork.

• Thanks 1

I like the Dutch Fork option!  Think that will provide the best atmosphere and profit for the two teams.  Great facility.  Visitor stands a bit small but will be fine for Mallard Creek supporters.  Home stands are huge.  Couple of year old turf field.

Was hoping for Thursday on this one and then over to Dillon for the Havelock game on Friday then may be some good ones to choose from in the Carolinas on Saturday.  Hough v Butler is on Friday in the area with Christian v Sun Valley on Thursday.  The promoter should flip flop those two games as I think Butler v Hough and MC v DF pull a lot non aligned fans from one another.

If I am a MC parent I am planning for this now.  I keep reading that due to the game being an out of state game for the NC team that there are no issues with playing on tv.  Indy was not allowed to play on live tv on a Saturday night in Ohio.  The steadfast rule always has been no live tv on Friday during the regular season.  Period.  Recently changed that for Thursday night regular season games and I expect Saturday would be fine.  Personally, I want the game on Thursday.  That gives them two more days to get it in if inclimate weather hits.  It will be played regardless of amount of rain if it is on tv unless there is lightning.  I would think ESPN would be fine with Thursday, also but not Saturday so much.  This is what I have been told numerous times by various people including a few ESPN employees.  They have to use Saturday for college to meet their contractual obligations.  Surprisingly, was told about five years ago the biggest possible high school game would probably not bring in the ad revenue a mid tier college matchup would.  May have changed.  Also, was told that the games that draw the best are not the elite teams as much as the games with the most big time college recruits.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:35 PM, Chris Hughes said:

I'm very excited about this game being on ESPN, I may try and pull some strings and see if I can get on the broadcast crew since I have some experience with those guys!  I think this will be must-see football if you're a fan of football in either state. 

i agree 100% i cant wait to see this game, Im so happy for those kids getting to play on big time TV.

It’s getting closer for this game being played. I know a lot of fans are excited when game time comes. Just wander any new insight how these teams will matchup. I believe it’s going to be a good one. 

It will take a pretty special effort to go down there and beat them. Its an understatement to say they dont get beat very often. I hope the addition of TV cameras doesnt effect the play.

That said it is a very deep, experienced and talented Creek team and I am more optimistic today than I was 6 weeks ago.

• Like 1

This will be a GREAT game. Just dont see Dutch Fork losing. There are only two teams in the Carolinas I'd have above Mallard Creek and they are Dutch Fork, and Wake Forest. Think they play then both this year. MC is loaded. If game was at Memorial it would be a pick em. At Dutch Fork. Gimme Dutch by 14

8 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

This will be a GREAT game. Just dont see Dutch Fork losing. There are only two teams in the Carolinas I'd have above Mallard Creek and they are Dutch Fork, and Wake Forest. Think they play then both this year. MC is loaded. If game was at Memorial it would be a pick em. At Dutch Fork. Gimme Dutch by 14

For Mallard Creek and Wake Forest to match up they will both need to make it to the state title game.  I think most would expect that in their preseason selections.

12 hours ago, btango said:

For Mallard Creek and Wake Forest to match up they will both need to make it to the state title game.  I think most would expect that in their preseason selections.

Gotta let the games play out 

3 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

Gotta let the games play out 

I would take the field over both of those making it to the title game but if I had to pick two teams that would probably be the safe bet in 4AA.