Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Basketball State Championship games

The list of teams playing for the N.C. High school State Championship games this weekend. 

Women’s final 

1A 28-2 Pamilico vs 27-2 East Surry

2A 27-0 Farmville Central vs 28-0 Mountain Heritage 

3A 27-3 SE Guilford vs 29-3 Cuthbertson 

4A 25-5 SE Raleigh vs 26-3 West Forsyth 

Men’s final

1A 31-2 Henderson Collegiate vs 23-8 Bishop McGuinness 

2A 31-0 Farmville Central vs 29-2 Forest Hills 

3A 27-3 Walter M. Williams vs 31-0 SW Guilford 

4A 29-1 South Central vs 25-6 West Charlotte 

Here are a couple games that standout for me that I think will be real good contest. In the boys 2A Farmville Central vs Forest Hills and men’s 4A South Central vs West Charlotte game. I think SW Guilford will take the men’s 3A. Any thoughts or predictions. What is your standout game. I hope I got the records right for the each team. 

2A girls with two undefeated teams facing off for the title. Farmville Central with the chance for dual state titles and Mountain Heritage looking for their first ever state title, which would mean a lot to that community.

In 4A girls I got to watch West Forsyth play before the FHS game.  They have two tiny little guards, but one is very good and the other did a good job ball handling and defending.  They have a forward who can bury the three.

4A boys with West Charlotte and their up tempo offense vs an obviously good South Central team.  I actually think that all of the boys games will be good and all of the girls games except probably 1A.

Big stories of the day:

East wins in 1A girls for the first time in over 20 years as Pamlico wins, while Bishop pulls out close win in 1A boys.

Mountain Heritage girls and Farmville Central boys finish the season undefeated in 2A.

As does SW Guilford boys in 3A, Guilford county sweeps 3A as SE Guilford girls win.

W. Forsyth takes 4A girls while S. Central takes apart W. Charlotte in 4A boys.

Even 4-4 split between East and West.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.The biggest surprise was West Charlotte losing like they did and W M Williams keeping it close like they did with the lost to SW Guilford 67-60. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to my friend and former student teacher (Western Alamance HS) in the late '70's Tommy Cole. While everyone on NC Preps said that SWG would beat Williams by 30-50 points, I knew it would be close because he and his players had the mindset that they could win the game. Also congratulations to S. central who had the same mindset even though they read the same thing about unbeatable WC. This put a huge chink is the minds of people who are convinced that MC is so far ahead of everyone else in the state that all teams from that county have to do is show up and they will win. Also congratulation to SWG on an undefeated season. They represented GC well. AS well as all the other winners and losers. It takes a lot of good things to get that far. There are no ;osers in the championship round.

I don’ think people were questioning the WC v South Central game.  Not many thought it would be a blowout.

Williams had impressive guard play. Not much issue with half court trap which handcuffed Cox Mill. Williams lost the rebound battle bad and the frintcourt players had trouble converting in the paint.

I think South Central is the best public team in NC. The big man is a game changer and they have a complete team that is very well coached.

Regarding West Charlotte andcwhat sime think they would not get routed by SWG. Matchups make games.  They would control the boards which is where a lot of the SWG points start on the break and with put backs on O. That changes the game. The WC big men set up while Cox Mill’s play more near the perimeter.

I watched the2a and 4a girls championship games and I believe Mt Heritage is ever bit as good as West Forsyth not trying to take anything away from West Forsyth Mt Heritage has a deep team .the team that impressed me the most of the 4 games I watched was South Center damn they are good...

8 hours ago, Mavrick69 said:

I watched the2a and 4a girls championship games and I believe Mt Heritage is ever bit as good as West Forsyth not trying to take anything away from West Forsyth Mt Heritage has a deep team .the team that impressed me the most of the 4 games I watched was South Center damn they are good...

I saw 1A and 2A girls last week in west regional and 3A state title game.  Heritage takes 1A and 3A, also.  Thought 3A title teams were weak.  

Heritage is very well coached, game savvy and high basketball IQ.  They have solid depth and get after it with decent length and quickness.  The PG, Hannah Tipton, is a sophomore, and a special player.  Not sure how her game transition to the next level but outstanding high schooler that can do it all.

If Hanna Tipton grows a few inches she will play at a big College she scored 25 26 and 29 the last 3 games you can't keep her from getting to the basket and she never gets tired great athlete. I do belive that junior Hanna Ray has a very good chance of playing at a big School also she is taller and faster and her ball handling is great one thing some people don't know is just how good Farmville Central Girls were, man they had a good team and they were tall and athelitic Mt Heritage played a great game and was not intimidated Farmville coach said that most of the Girls on this team had never been beat before much less been behind by 15 in the 3rd quarter.the first half was some of the best Girls basketball I've seen in a while Mt Heritage wore there big players out in the 2nd half..Great Ball Game...

Her basketball is elite.  No doubt she is a scholarship player just what level.  She has a few years to go.  Set back and enjoy!

The future should be bright for Mt Heritage girls basketball we do lose some good players off this years team ,but we have a 5" 11 freshman that should start next year and we will not lose any of our guards too grarduation also our incoming freshman class next year could be overall one of our best we also have a youth league and travel ball that really have our kids prepared when they get to highschool and the support our little community gives our athletes is tremendous not to mention our great coach Susie Shelton she's a home grown gal that played 4 yrs at Mt Heritage I belive this is the 8th consecutive season with at least 21 wins for our Lady Cougars .I believe we have a good chance over the next few seasons to get another state championship but at the same time I know how difficult it is to win 6 strait playoff games.Thanks for all the support our gals received from all over the State.us as fans had a great year and got to witness some really good lady's basketball..