Chris Hughes

Sanderson hires Jeremy Buck

Rate this topic

Sanderson HS has announced the hiring of Jeremy Buck as the Spartans next head football coach, replacing Ben Kolstad who left earlier this year for a position at Orange HS. For the last few years, Buck has been an assistant coach at Heritage and prior to that, he was the head coach at Franklinton.  

The Jeremy Buck File:

High School: Chapel Hill (1997)

College: Elon (2001)

Assistant Positions: Chapel Hill, White Oak, East Wake, Cary, West Brunswick, Vance (Defensive Coordinator), Heritage (Offensive Coordinator)

Head Coaching Positions: (36-46)

Harding: (2009)

East Mecklenburg (2010-11)

Franklinton (2012-15)

Buck-Jeremy.jpg

My thoughts: For a coach under 40 years-old, Buck comes to Sanderson with a lot of experience, both in Eastern N.C., and as a head coach and coordinator in Charlotte's 4A landscape.  He was a key part of the Heritage staff over the last three seasons and played a part in their rise as a Wake County 4A power. Taking over for Kolstad, who has done a great job in building up the Spartan program, I strongly feel that this is a situation where Buck can take the ball and run with it, and I could see this program only get better in the coming years. 

Buck went to East Meck when they were changing the district lines and bringing the large IB classes to replace district students.  First year there, three studs on the Butler state title team were redistricted from East.

Thought he got sausaged at Franklinton.  Probably blessing disguise with where he has been and now is at!  Congrats to Buck.  One of the good guys!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, btango said:

Buck went to East Meck when they were changing the district lines and bringing the large IB classes to replace district students.  First year there, three studs on the Butler state title team were redistricted from East.

Thought he got sausaged at Franklinton.  Probably blessing disguise with where he has been and now is at!  Congrats to Buck.  One of the good guys!

I agree, in fact, Buck had two very tough assignments for his first two head coaching jobs.  Harding was a true magnet program, not the school it was last year when it won the title, and you documented it well how East Meck had their lines shifted prior to his arrival, which has nearly been a death sentence for that once proud football program. 

Did the good running back from Franklington follow Buck to Heritage? That was a big factor in heritage's improvement. What does it mean to be sausaged?  Who did he work for at Cary?

2 hours ago, tarheel said:

What does it mean to be sausaged?  

Screwed.  People I know there thought he did not get a fair shake.  

13 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I agree, in fact, Buck had two very tough assignments for his first two head coaching jobs.  Harding was a true magnet program, not the school it was last year when it won the title, and you documented it well how East Meck had their lines shifted prior to his arrival, which has nearly been a death sentence for that once proud football program. 

Harding was one of the worst couple of jobs in Charlotte when he took over.  Every aspect seemed to be a negative.

Did the good running back from Franklington follow Buck to Heritage? That was a big factor in heritage's improvement. What does it mean to be sausaged?  Who did he work for at Cary?

5 hours ago, tarheel said:

Yes, Ricky Person did enroll at Heritage after Buck moved there as a coach.  However, I would be very quick to say that this wasn't a "package deal", or "recruiting thing" or any kind of sideways move other than the fact that the young man's parents had the means, and the ability to pick up and move residence, and that Buck was almost a father to the young man and his parents felt strongly enough about it that they chose to move.  You are 100% correct though, his arrival at Heritage made them very good, very quick.