Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

2nd round matchup games.

1 hour ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Final Cox Mill 81-66

Concord is not a bad team. I was impressed with their quickness as they had some steals. They hung with Cox Mill and even had a lead a couple different times in the 2nd. and was trailing by 1 at the half. The 3rd qtr Concord went cold only scoring 6 points. If their performance was as good as it was in the 2nd period this game may well came to the wire. Cox Mill is really good and they are going to be hard to beat from here in out. 

1 hour ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Final Cox Mill 81-66

That was a great game.Concord played really well and they put up a great fight. Cox Mill is just too good. Any other team.would have probably loss tonight. 

• Like 1

Heritage wins by 5 in OT. What a game unreal. Nothing but respect for the Maiden team. Well coached and great sportsmanship. I know they had a lot of seniors and with those guys the best of luck in their future. They probably hit about 12 3s or more on us tonight. 

• Like 1

East Burke girls defeat Bunker Hill 50-40 and Patton boys lose 62-57 at N. Davidson.  That’s respectable for the Panthers, they lost all five starters from last year’s team and they get several key starters back next year.

Also sounds like there was a good game between Avery’s girls and Mitchell with the Vikings winning a close one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Concord is not a bad team. I was impressed with their quickness as they had some steals. They hung with Cox Mill and even had a lead a couple different times in the 2nd. and was trailing by 1 at the half. The 3rd qtr Concord went cold only scoring 6 points. If their performance was as good as it was in the 2nd period this game may well came to the wire. Cox Mill is really good and they are going to be hard to beat from here in out. 

Very well said. BTW Vik-Val was that you sitting next to us broadcasting the game? Wearing a blue shirt?

I was the one in the striped flannel  shirt. But yes I was sitting next to y’all. I thought that was you but didn’t want to bother you because I didn’t want to take a chance on interrupting what you were doing. I hated I didn’t get to stay around to introduce myself after the game. I had to leave. But that sure was a very good game and Cox Mill will be tough out to beat. They are really good. 

7 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I was the one in the striped flannel  shirt. But yes I was sitting next to y’all. I thought that was you but didn’t want to bother you because I didn’t want to take a chance on interrupting what you were doing. I hated I didn’t get to stay around to introduce myself after the game. I had to leave. But that sure was a very good game and Cox Mill will be tough out to beat. They are really good. 

It's all good. We definitely heard you yelling at the refs and seeing you standing up. As far the game goes it was a really good game the Chargers were tested but as you rightly mentioned they are very good.

Carson girls rolled over SW Randolph 71-58 in agame that was not that close. Carson went on a 37-6 run from late 2nd to end of 3rd to salt game. Got careless in the 4th allowing 29 pts and still won by 13

8 minutes ago, sportsbroadcaster1 said:

It's all good. We definitely heard you yelling at the refs and seeing you standing up. As far the game goes it was a really good game the Chargers were tested but as you rightly mentioned they are very good.

Actually the one in the blue was yelling at the refs. The refs do have a tough job. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes.  Also no reason to yell at the refs. I was there just to see some basketball action. 

Watched North Davidson and Patton.  ND pulled it out 62-57.  Patton had a good chance to tie at the end.  With eight seconds left, they inbounded it on their side of the court.  One of the Panther guards (Riggsbee, I believe) was shadowed by two ND defenders.  He created some space, dribbled two/three times to his right, pulled up, and let her fly.  ND's Jamarian Dalton blocked the shot.......but Patton fans thought otherwise.  They were absolutely livid that no foul was called.  ND recovered the ball and got it in the hands of Fulks.  Fulks was fouled with about two seconds left.  He sank both freebies to put it on ice.  

Fulks finished with 44.  The first quarter is what ultimately doomed the Panthers.  Fulks came flying out of the gate and led ND to a 20-6 first quarter lead.  Fulks scored in about every way imaginable.  

My hat's off to Patton though.......they could've packed it in right then and there.  But they kept their composure, stayed with their game plan, and methodically whittled away at the lead.  Jackson Vance and Finn Riggsbee were knocking down the threes off the ballscreens.  Patton also did a great job of taking smart shots.  In the second half, Bryson Holsclaw hit some big buckets inside.  

When the fourth quarter started, Patton had sliced ND's lead down to four.  They even got it down to one (and may have taken the lead at one point....can't remember).  However, when ND needed a big basket, Fulks came through.  I lost count of how many times he sped by defenders on his way to the cup.  Dalton hit a couple of big baskets in the fourth as well.  

Two things hurt Patton down the stretch.  One, they missed some big free throws.  Two, Vance fouled out with about 25 seconds left.  Vance impressed me last night.  He's quick and was playing some tough defense.  

I felt really bad for Holsclaw.  He was getting pounded inside and couldn't get any calls.  I think he might've owed one of those refs money or something. 

North now travels to Forest Hills on Saturday.  If Fulks puts 40 on them, he should be NC player of the year. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Watched North Davidson and Patton.  ND pulled it out 62-57.  Patton had a good chance to tie at the end.  With eight seconds left, they inbounded it on their side of the court.  One of the Panther guards (Riggsbee, I believe) was shadowed by two ND defenders.  He created some space, dribbled two/three times to his right, pulled up, and let her fly.  ND's Jamarian Dalton blocked the shot.......but Patton fans thought otherwise.  They were absolutely livid that no foul was called.  ND recovered the ball and got it in the hands of Fulks.  Fulks was fouled with about two seconds left.  He sank both freebies to put it on ice.  

Fulks finished with 44.  The first quarter is what ultimately doomed the Panthers.  Fulks came flying out of the gate and led ND to a 20-6 first quarter lead.  Fulks scored in about every way imaginable.  

My hat's off to Patton though.......they could've packed it in right then and there.  But they kept their composure, stayed with their game plan, and methodically whittled away at the lead.  Jackson Vance and Finn Riggsbee were knocking down the threes off the ballscreens.  Patton also did a great job of taking smart shots.  In the second half, Bryson Holsclaw hit some big buckets inside.  

When the fourth quarter started, Patton had sliced ND's lead down to four.  They even got it down to one (and may have taken the lead at one point....can't remember).  However, when ND needed a big basket, Fulks came through.  I lost count of how many times he sped by defenders on his way to the cup.  Dalton hit a couple of big baskets in the fourth as well.  

Two things hurt Patton down the stretch.  One, they missed some big free throws.  Two, Vance fouled out with about 25 seconds left.  Vance impressed me last night.  He's quick and was playing some tough defense.  

I felt really bad for Holsclaw.  He was getting pounded inside and couldn't get any calls.  I think he might've owed one of those refs money or something. 

North now travels to Forest Hills on Saturday.  If Fulks puts 40 on them, he should be NC player of the year. 

Rigsbee, Vance and Holsclaw all return for Patton next year (Vance transferred from FHS and I don’t blame him, he would have been maybe our 10th player this year-my wife taught him in elementary school, so she roots for him).  Dennis Britain has really done a good job with that program, he lost all five starters from last year’s team, but still got into the playoffs.

Fulks sounds like a beast-if they make the Regionals I might try to go see him.

8 hours ago, FHS1985 returns said:

Also sounds like there was a good game between Avery’s girls and Mitchell with the Vikings winning a close one.

Yeah this was a great game. Great crowd and atmosphere, just what a high school game should be. Heart breaker for Mitchell as they had a 3 go in and come with 1 sec left that would have won the game. Credit to Avery, they made the plays to win when they had too. Both teams left all they had on the floor. Just a shame they had to play in the second round. 

Good luck to Avery moving on. Go represent the WHC well. 

Mitchell girls should be very good next season. Maybe not title challenger but very good. Return every player with no seniors on this seasons roster. 

Go Mountaineers 

• Like 2

Good season Mitchell girls. A tough playing team that never quits. Would like to have been able to catch this game. Good luck to Avery moving on.

One thing I will have to say about the Heritage games last night is that the place was a tremendous atmosphere for a high school game. The house was rocking as West Davidson brought a decent amount of fans with them, but as the 2nd half started of the girls game, the Maiden fans were piling in. The place was packed for the boys game (even more than a Mitchell rivalry game, if anyone can believe that) and no one left without getting their $8 worth tonight. It was so loud a couple of times in the 4th quarter, as the Cougars started their comeback, that you couldn't hear the person right beside you. Great team support from both fan bases last night.

Hopefully the game schedules can be worked out so the Heritage girls at home on Saturday and the Heritage boys at Shelby can be seen by the entire fan base. There is one thing you can be sure of and that is the Mtn. Heritage fans travel well. All the WHC faithful are welcome to join us moving forward as I'm sure our fans will return the favor if we are not the last one's standing. 

4 hours ago, Heritage 84 said:

Good season Mitchell girls. A tough playing team that never quits. Would like to have been able to catch this game. Good luck to Avery moving on.

One thing I will have to say about the Heritage games last night is that the place was a tremendous atmosphere for a high school game. The house was rocking as West Davidson brought a decent amount of fans with them, but as the 2nd half started of the girls game, the Maiden fans were piling in. The place was packed for the boys game (even more than a Mitchell rivalry game, if anyone can believe that) and no one left without getting their $8 worth tonight. It was so loud a couple of times in the 4th quarter, as the Cougars started their comeback, that you couldn't hear the person right beside you. Great team support from both fan bases last night.

Hopefully the game schedules can be worked out so the Heritage girls at home on Saturday and the Heritage boys at Shelby can be seen by the entire fan base. There is one thing you can be sure of and that is the Mtn. Heritage fans travel well. All the WHC faithful are welcome to join us moving forward as I'm sure our fans will return the favor if we are not the last one's standing. 

One of the nice things about the old schedule, where they played boys and girls on different nights, was that you didn’t have to worry about potential conflicts like you describe.  It will be tough for the schedule makers to work it out so fans can make both games, but I hope they can make it happen for y’all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FHS1985 returns said:

One of the nice things about the old schedule, where they played boys and girls on different nights, was that you didn’t have to worry about potential conflicts like you describe.  It will be tough for the schedule makers to work it out so fans can make both games, but I hope they can make it happen for y’all.

Yeah they actually got it taken care of. the girls will be at home at 3 p.m. and the boys will play at Shelby at 7. Should leave just enough time for Coach Shelton to leave the girls game and get to see her son play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heritage 84 said:

Yeah they actually got it taken care of. the girls will be at home at 3 p.m. and the boys will play at Shelby at 7. Should leave just enough time for Coach Shelton to leave the girls game and get to see her son play.

That’s great!  If both our boys and girls win Saturday (and other games go as expected) we will face a similar conflict on Tuesday.  I don’t mind making a drive, but you can’t be in two places at once.

• Like 1

I believe Cox Mill is hosting Mt. Tabor tomorrow night at 7. Looks to be a good one. Chute do you know anything about Mt. Tabor. I think they usually are a solid team from year to year.