Chris Raynor

Havelock Head Coaching Job

I believe that came from the Havelock Touchdown club, not anyone involved with the process of hiring a coach at Havelock High School.

13 minutes ago, uncch03 said:

I believe that came from the Havelock Touchdown club, not anyone involved with the process of hiring a coach at Havelock High School.

She's in the know in regards to the happenings within the High School. 

This is beyond ridiculous NOW. Over the past 10 years this school, Havelock, has played in 5 Championship games and played for the Eastern Championship in 9 of those 10 years. Hire SOMEBODY to give these kids a chance to compete for scholarships and championships this year. It took New Bern only 5 years to fall from being a State Championship contending program to being a total abort mission job. They my have found their coach to take them back to those heights again.  If my memory serves me Havelock and New Bern won Championships 5 years ago at the same time. There is talent in the county but something (money) or somebody (wanting more money) is hurting these student/athletes in Craven County. I don't understand why they just don't name one of the assistants interim coach until they can hire someone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Backstabber said:

This is beyond ridiculous NOW. Over the past 10 years this school, Havelock, has played in 5 Championship games and played for the Eastern Championship in 9 of those 10 years. Hire SOMEBODY to give these kids a chance to compete for scholarships and championships this year. It took New Bern only 5 years to fall from being a State Championship contending program to being a total abort mission job. They my have found their coach to take them back to those heights again.  If my memory serves me Havelock and New Bern won Championships 5 years ago at the same time. There is talent in the county but something (money) or somebody (wanting more money) is hurting these student/athletes in Craven County. I don't understand why they just don't name one of the assistants interim coach until they can hire someone.

None of the assistants want the job. 

New Bern has the most recent State Title in 2014 with Havelock’s last one in 2013. 

People think this should be a slam dunk job solely because of their tradition. Having the athletes, fan-base and middle school feeders are good and all but at the end of the day, money and supporting your family matters more. 

They had their man, a state championship head coach, and bent over backwards to meet his demands.  Once met they backed off after he threw a caveat into the mix.

• Thanks 1

Havelock has had there guy for about two weeks I don’t understand why they haven’t made it official. Just know it’s not who you think it is and will be a real shocker once he’s introduced

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaBoondocks said:

Havelock has had there guy for about two weeks I don’t understand why they haven’t made it official. Just know it’s not who you think it is and will be a real shocker once he’s introduced

Maybe if just to make sure everything is in order possibly 

15 hours ago, CMack50 said:

Heard he resigned his current job last Friday to make this move...

He did...and I’ve talked to him he is excited and ready to get to work 

Yeah, I heard Havelock turned down Kliff Kingsbury, Lane Kiffin, Mike McCarthy, Bill Belicheck,  seems everyone wants to climb on the bandwagon

39 minutes ago, Ramfan75 said:

Yeah, I heard Havelock turned down Kliff Kingsbury, Lane Kiffin, Mike McCarthy, Bill Belicheck,  seems everyone wants to climb on the bandwagon

All of them enjoy rebuilding a program that hasn't won a state title since 2013. 

At least they've been contending for one since 2013 ,  whatever happened to New Bum after 2014?  They just seemed to disappear.....off into nada land

4 minutes ago, Ramfan75 said:

At least they've been contending for one since 2013 ,  whatever happened to New Bum after 2014?  They just seemed to disappear.....off into nada land

You mean, underachieving since 2013? All the good kids that live in New Bern go to Havelock, you know that, Steve! All these rebuilding years over year and ya'll can't take advantage with all of that talent. We've got a good leader to take over, we'll see what yours can do. 

Jim Bob came from Greene Central, too.  May be Wooten will get it done to a satisfactory level.  I think Havelock fans believe less than a state title is the edge of failure now and that may be expecting too much each year even in the era of subdivided playoffs.  Then again, it may get watered down a little more in 2021.