Chris Raynor

Havelock Head Coaching Job

Was just told by an official at Havelock that the report of an announcement tomorrow is "bogus". They're still in the interview process. 

This situation is puzzling, The rumor is a  coordinator from the Charlotte area.  Young guy with a ton of experience and from a football family. If you know NC football than it is obvious who I am speaking about. 

3 hours ago, bjt8121 said:

This situation is puzzling, The rumor is a  coordinator from the Charlotte area.  Young guy with a ton of experience and from a football family. If you know NC football than it is obvious who I am speaking about. 

Have heard the same.  Great guy, great family!  Has really good experience!!!  Think he would do well.  With that said, I find it hard to believe they would hire an assistant who is not currently on staff (or a current or former head coach) but the whole situation there is a head scratcher.

39 minutes ago, btango said:

Have heard the same.  Great guy, great family!  Has really good experience!!!  Think he would do well.  With that said, I find it hard to believe they would hire an assistant who is not currently on staff (or a current or former head coach) but the whole situation there is a head scratcher.

No one on the current staff wants it. 

2 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

No one on the current staff wants it. 

I am fully aware of this.  To clarify, I would be surprised that they would hire an assistant unless it was one that was on staff with a track record with them.  I am doubtful about the person in question being the next head coach but if they are going with assistants from outside the progeram this one would be a great pick.   

I’m not really surprised due to the pay in Craven County. They have great assistants and a solid feeder program. They don’t need a Nick Saban type— just someone to run the program for a few years and groom them for SC. 

I'm sure that's what they're looking for is somebody who will use this as a stepping stone to SC. When Caleb got there it was his dream job. I'm still surprised he left after two years but gotta get that money when you can. Really would think they would want to hire somebody who wants to stay long term. 

From what I've read on here its not a stick around long term kind of job due to the low pay from the county.  Maybe that kinda job in terms of athletes, but almost everyone is going to want to make more money as they go forward and sounds like this isnt the place for that.

Wow, a week later and still no HC named. They must pay beans down there. I know Caleb took a pay cut to go to his alma mater. This is crazy one of the best talent schools in the state doesn't have one named yet. And if it is an assistant from the family you say it may be, he will not be there long. They always move on quickly.

I'm not sure where the notion came from that they were close with a hire as I've been told all along that they're still interviewing. I did hear that they had a couple of favorites -- one being a coach in Charlotte and the other being a coach from up north. The lack of pay over here is well known. 

I have done some research on the pay aspect of things in the east.  Even with the cuts, Craven county still pays better then most of the counties in the east.  Before the cuts they were the cats meow, but now not as much now but still better then most counties east of 95

1 hour ago, Dawg Dynasty said:

I have done some research on the pay aspect of things in the east.  Even with the cuts, Craven county still pays better then most of the counties in the east.  Before the cuts they were the cats meow, but now not as much now but still better then most counties east of 95

In addition to the recent cuts, many are not fond of the new superintendent (see Jim Bob Bryant). 

5 hours ago, Dawg Dynasty said:

How does the cost of living compare?  I know some counties not on the coast are fairly inexpensive.

I look at it from a “total package” situation.  I count coaching supplement and teaching supplement when looking at how one county compares to the other in terms of pay.  Craven and Onslow are comparable.  Duplin well too. I was also told pamlico county is pretty close to Craven but I have not done any research on that personally.  After those three it take a considerable drop in the east until you get back to Nash, Wilson and Johnston ( I 95 area).

I am unsure of the cost of living but I wouldn’t think it would be much different compared to other counties near the coast. I do not think the cost of living would be a $3000-$5000 a year difference from one neighboring county to the other like supplement packages are.

I recently asked a current Onslow County coach if he’d consider a Craven County job and he said he’d be taking a massive paycut. 

From my research, Craven HFC gets anywhere from $5000-$10000 for coaching supplement (based on years of experience)  Onslow between $3832-$5557 (based on years of experience).  Craven teaching supplement is 7% while Onslow is 10%. So for someone making 45,000 that would be a difference of $1350 a year.  

There is no additional moneys in Craven county but the school does have the option to pay the HFC, or who ever they so chose,  the cash value of an 11th month.  I do not exactly know for sure what “cash value is” unless it is what an 11th month would be for someone after taxes are paid.  If someone knows or can explain it better please let me know.  I do know that the 11th month option was faught hard for by the HFCs in Craven and the were able to get this cause they were having to mow the fields in the Summer.  Far as I know that is it for Craven.

What is a tremendous perk in Onslow is that the HFC gets a true .5 month from the county.  They also have 3 $2300 weight lifting supplements available (one per semester) That is a nice chunk of change.  Basically 1 wt lifting supplement plus the .5 months gives the HFC 11 months or close to is.  The 2nd wt lifting supplement could put them well over 11 months.  

This is what I was told from HFC in each county which puts there total package well over 10K just to be a HFC (I am counting their teaching supplement too) 

Again to put this in comparison,  A HFC’s package in Wayne, Greene, Lenoir, Pitt, or Jones would be lower the 10K and in some of those counties they can coach a 2nd sport and not make 10K.  

Onslow is slightly ahead of Craven but not by much 

Post from someone involved in the process....

This has been a very long and draining process. There have been MANY applications for the job. The #1 reason there has not been a hire yet, the salary for this job in Craven County is much lower than the rest of the state. We have 1A schools who’s football coach makes more than ours. For the same reason Coach King left, is the same reason we can’t find someone worthy to mentor our athletes. Who would give up their families prosperity for THOUSANDS less? We should be able to sustain good teachers and coaches in this county. It’s time for change and the public is the only one who can make that happen. Get involved, ask the admin question, put pressure on those who make the important decisions that involve our student athletes and their futures!!!!!

Wow. "Can't find someone worthy to mentor our athletes" That's a terrible statement to make about all the guys who applied for the job irregardless of the pay. And this is also why the guy who built the program left before King got it. Sad situation for the kids.