Sign in to follow this  
GDG

Shelby head coaching position open

Rate this topic

Yes, I've been hearing the rumors.  I just spoke to Coach Ware this week, trying to help them fill Week 3 on the 2019/20 schedule.  He didn't mention leaving to me, and was telling me how excited he is about this upcoming season, in which they should be very good.  But you know what they say, when there is smoke, maybe there is fire too. 

Still would retain his state retirement years. Make more money. Chance to climb to a position coach and coordinator position. There is nothing to lose for a guy who has had more success than any active coach. This would be great for App State instate recruiting. I see no fail for App State. As a fan of the Mountaineers with four kids who graduated I would love to see him climb the ladder and one day take over.

Its a rumor but I thought he would take a South Carolina big pay job in 2017. He’s been on lots of radars for Upstate SC schools. The man is legend. IF the rumor is true the SHELBY vacancy will be the most sought after job ever in the state. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cagle89 said:

Us Raiders could only hope lol... Hopefully they turn into a running team..

Good Luck if he goes to App State.

If the Lions go with a coach who runs the ball they are fools. There are not even many 4A schools with as much skill position talent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GDG said:

IF the rumor is true the SHELBY vacancy will be the most sought after job ever in the state. 

If I am not mistaken, I don't think a coach has ever left Shelby for another job, most have stayed there until retirement (or pretty close), and I'm not sure if Shelby has ever hired a coach from outside of the Shelby family. 

12 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Yes, I've been hearing the rumors.  I just spoke to Coach Ware this week, trying to help them fill Week 3 on the 2019/20 schedule.  He didn't mention leaving to me, and was telling me how excited he is about this upcoming season, in which they should be very good.  But you know what they say, when there is smoke, maybe there is fire too. 

He didn’t mention it but you know the answer. You always do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GDG said:

If the Lions go with a coach who runs the ball they are fools. There are not even many 4A schools with as much skill position talent. 

I know I know 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hard to turn down the opportunity to get your foot in the door at a respectable D1 program. He very well could be the next Gus Malzahn. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

Hard to turn down the opportunity to get your foot in the door at a respectable D1 program. He very well could be the next Gus Malzahn. 

Hard to disagree with you, and the fact that he keeps intact his NC state retirement is a double plus. 

2 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Hard to disagree with you, and the fact that he keeps intact his NC state retirement is a double plus. 

Keep your retirement, and in a couple years when Mack retires who knows.... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

Keep your retirement, and in a couple years when Mack retires who knows.... 

That sounds good, but the road to a big-time D1 job is a long road in most cases, if he goes from high school to big-time college head coach, then he's among the elite few, but I won't say that it can't happen. 

2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

If I am not mistaken, I don't think a coach has ever left Shelby for another job, most have stayed there until retirement (or pretty close), and I'm not sure if Shelby has ever hired a coach from outside of the Shelby family. 

Correct on both points.

45. And yes hes headed to App.   Nothing but best wishes for this good friend and coach..

Ill miss him at the helm...he put in place a great system his time as coach.......something i hope that carrys on.

• Like 1

Some will say it doesn’t matter who is the next coach. Yes Shelby will be at the top of the contenders but Ware elevated the program to another level. His offense hasn’t been replicated by other NC high schools.

Does the AD job go with the head coach?

Heard Shelby was only one left in area that had coach and AD together..heard they may try to seperate the 2.

But your right GDG. Lance had different things in his system that were to make it like a family for boys, keep them out of trouble and off streets.I for one was proud of what he was doing...summer they washed buses for money to buy clothes and uniforms. He take them swimming at park. They always practice on Thanksgiving night...things that just set the tone for Unity.

Then his banquet were like college stuff..He will be missed for sure..

21 hours ago, shelbyfan said:

Trojancoach. What year were u at GW?

Ive been doing all tile work at GW for 14 yrs now..wondered if u were here durning that span

13-17 with coach McCray. Lived in Boiling Springs but went to church at fbc Shelby. 

Webb is a tough job..... Shelby High is a machine. As was Crest at the time I was there.