Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

Salisbury at North Davidson

Great, great boys game in Welcome last night.  North edged Salisbury 81-78.  Final minute decided everything.  Themus Fulks drove to the cup and hit a huge basket.  Fulks also sank a pair of free throws with about ten seconds left.  Meanwhile, Salisbury missed two crucial free throws on the possession before.  

On Salisbury's final possession, they had to go the length of the court.  They inbounded and a guard sped to the right side.  However, just as he came over halfcourt,  ND sophomore Jamierion Dalton and another Black Knight trapped him in the right corner.  The Hornet coughed up the ball and Dalton swiped it.  Dalton then sped down the court and threw down a one-handed flush to seal things (ref waived it off.....).  ND fans madly rushed the court in jubilation.  

I can summarize  the majority of this game in six words:  Themus Fulks getting into the paint.  That paint might as well have had his name engraved in it.  The way Fulks was doing it too......he had steps like Fred Astaire.  Forget Eurostep......he had steps from all seven continents.  I don't know how many points he ended up with......but it was definitely a crapload.  He and Dalton spent the first quarter and a half shredding Salisbury's fullcourt pressure.  

Speaking of Dalton, he's got some nice potential himself.  He's a lengthy and athletic guard.  He did a good Themus Fulks impersonation on a few possessions.  

My take on ND as a whole:  The Black Knights will go as far as Fulks's "Merry Men" will take them.  They'll also go as far according to how well they play defense.  I wasn't very impressed with ND's defensive prowess.

Fulks is like MJ.....he's going to get his.  To beat ND, you're going to have to turn Fulks into a passer somehow.  .....and, of course, not let him get into the paint a gazillion times.

The girls game wasn't too bad either.  Salisbury won 69-54.  Salisbury held an eleven point lead in the third quarter.  Then, ND's Courtney McMillan came to life.  She converted a big three point play inside and hit a couple more big buckets.  At the end of the third quarter, ND had cut Salisbury's lead down to one, 45-44.  

Game was nip and tuck until Bryanna Troutman decided to take over.  There was a stretch midway through the fourth quarter where Troutman reeled off a few sweet interior passes which led to buckets.  Salisbury went on around a 10-0 run to seal the deal.  Just as she did at West, Troutman showed off all the tools in the toolbox.  

Freshman Rachel McCullough had another nice game.  She hit some big threes at critical junctures.  Junior guard Aniyah Fulson also had a nice game.  Fulson dropped a few sweet dimes herself.  She's athletic, got good size, and she plays good defense.  I can't believe I didn't notice her at West.  She's got the potential to play college ball. 

Even though they blew out West Davidson,  I actually think the Salisbury girls played a much better game last night against North.  I feel a little more confident about Salisbury's "run potential" after that performance.  

ND freshman Emily Hege had another good game.  She's very smart and very skilled out on the court.  It will be fun watching her the next few years. 

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this